So, which one will it be then? (Year-end #1) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So, which one will it be then? (Year-end #1)

IOFH
09-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Which one will end the year as #1? Federer or Djokovic?

Ranking: 1. Federer 11805 2. Djokovic 10470

Race: 1. Djokovic 9910 2. Federer 8905

I'm going with Federer, for the last 2 seasons he's been better than No2e in the indoor season by a much bigger margin than 1005 points.

henke007
09-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Hopefully Nole's Luck with the Draw ended in Toronto/Cincy/US OPEN for starters. It will all come down to London though.

Looner
09-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Djokovic, I say. He won't "miss" the WTF like last year and Roger can't play Paris. I also have money on him but if I'm wrong (like yesterday), I'd love it :D.

henke007
09-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Why can't Roger play Paris, i doubt he will not play. He should win a couple of matches in Basel in 50-60 min and he should not go for the title if he is smart.

Looner
09-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Why can't Roger play Paris, i doubt he will not play. He should win a couple of matches in Basel in 50-60 min and he should not go for the title if he is smart.

Because of 3 weeks in a row... Remember the Nadulle-designed schedule for this year has Basel-Paris-WTF back-to-back and Roger's not going to compromise WTF to defend his title on that slow court. Even if Djoko plays Paris and wins, he'll be tired for WTF, so that's good :D.

Not winning Basel is also out of question unless he mugs out big time.

henke007
09-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Hopefully Roger could get a Toronto special at Bercy with Nole and Murray going out early and cruise to the title :)

Thunderfish8
09-11-2012, 10:57 AM
If Murray successfully defends Tokyo and Shanghai...
and if he can make at least the finals of Paris and WTF while Federer does not defend his titles

He will be #1 at the end of the year.

However, Djokovic will have something to say about that since he has virtually 0 points to defend until the end of the year.

In my opinion, I think Djokovic is going to pull it out.
Federer will not be able to defend his two big titles and Djokovic has no points to defend except for a semifinal in Basel.

Looner
09-11-2012, 10:59 AM
If Murray successfully defends Tokyo and Shanghai...
and if he can make at least the finals of Paris and WTF while Federer does not defend his titles

He will be #1 at the end of the year.

However, Djokovic will have something to say about that since he has virtually 0 points to defend until the end of the year.

In my opinion, I think Djokovic is going to pull it out.
Federer will not be able to defend his two big titles and Djokovic has no points to defend except for a semifinal in Basel.

This post is all kinds of wrong. Murray is over 2000 points behind Federer in the RACE for the year, so he'll need a fair few titles and an almost no-show from RF to get to #2. He's a further 3000 points behind Djokovic, so no chance for #1.

Djokovic also has QF points to defend in Bercy and a win from the WTF.

sexybeast
09-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Djokovic and Murray must surely withdraw from Tokyo/Beijing, right?

Will they risk injury ala Nadal after the grueling battle in Usopen?

finishingmove
09-11-2012, 11:27 AM
If you think Federer can be year end #1, that's ok too. :superlol:

manadrainer
09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Nole obviously.

He's ahead of 1000 points, he plays one more tournament (Bejing), and Fed is gonna skip/tank Paris to prepare for the WTF.

The old man is 31, he has to manage his schedule carefully (also skipping Toronto to rest, where nole got his 1000 point advantage).

Looner
09-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah, the MM draw of Toronto really helped. Rog is playing DC now as well, so I don't see him ending as #1.

TigerTim
09-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Murray:
USO 2000
Tokyo 500
Shanghai 1000
Basel 500
Paris 1000
WTF 1500

+6500 points, 30 match unbeaten run, YE. No.1

in all seriousness Nole.

GOAT = Fed
09-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Probably Nole will end as no.1 unless he has another horror end to the year like last season (Which is possible since he looked tired in that blasted 5th set yesterday :().

Although I can see Roger regaining no.1 is he schedules smartly

ie; plays Tokyo or Beijing, Shanghai, Basel and WTF.

SheepleBuster
09-11-2012, 12:42 PM
It could be Federer but I doubt Roger will play his last year's schedule

GOAT = Fed
09-11-2012, 12:50 PM
It could be Federer but I doubt Roger will play his last year's schedule

Yeah the schedule I put a post above yours is more realistic and gives him a better chance of securing no.1 at the end of the year.

Federer4Everer
09-11-2012, 12:54 PM
If Roger wants the YE #1 wouldn't it be smart for him to play Paris?

If he does maybe pick up 600-1,000 points and maybe loose 500 points in WTF.

At the same time if he plays Paris it could bite into Nole's points quite a bit.

Just sayin.

If I was in his shoes which I am not, I would rather max the points than win yet another WTF of which he is already the sole record holder.

But the decision time is not here yet so not sure if the above logic would still hold true by then.

duong
09-11-2012, 12:57 PM
For the OP : Could you change the title to make it clearer ? : something like "Who will be the year-end number 1 ?" (to change the thread title, make "edit" then "go advanced")

I agree that Murray's chance is very small, considering he's 3180 points behind Djokovic in the Race, then I understand he's not in the poll, although he has a theoretical chance.

As for the debate, please note that Djokovic will play at least one tournament that Fed will not play : Beijing.

Fed will play Davis cup (he has announced it today) but it will give no ATP points to him.

And the schedule of the indoor season with Basel-Paris-WTF 3 weeks in a row (stupid schedule, as Fed and Ljubicic also thought, but they said they are too old to discuss the youngsters' opinions on that) is clearly not good for a good indoor player like Federer. I think he will not play Paris : whatever the year-end number 1 debate, he will prefer being fresh for the WTF.

But usually he finishes the year better than Djokovic.

GOAT = Fed
09-11-2012, 01:01 PM
If Roger wants the YE #1 wouldn't it be smart for him to play Paris?

If he does maybe pick up 600-1,000 points and maybe loose 500 points in WTF.

At the same time if he plays Paris it could bite into Nole's points quite a bit.

Just sayin.

If I was in his shoes which I am not, I would rather max the points than win yet another WTF of which he is already the sole record holder.

But the decision time is not here yet so not sure if the above logic would still hold true by then.

He can make up those points by playing Shanghai.

duong
09-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Djokovic and Murray must surely withdraw from Tokyo/Beijing, right?

Will they risk injury ala Nadal after the grueling battle in Usopen?

last year Djokovic withdrew from Beijing+Shanghai because of an injury he got in Davis cup a few days after the US Open (Nadal also played Davis cup but didn't have to sweat demolishing poor French players on clay :lol: , he played Tokyo+Shanghai and from his own words was in very good form - which I also think was true at that moment : only a huge Murray and a return-breakdown against Mayer stopped him)

This year, Djokovic doesn't have to play Davis cup (he didn't play it this year anyway) and there are 3 weeks before Beijing starts, I don't think it's a problem.

philosophicalarf
09-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Might be Federer isn't too bothered about #1 now, listens to his body a bit more. Let's face it, he did brilliantly at tour level, but lost pretty comfortably in the Aus semis and US qfs, and in straights in the French semis. Take away the roof factor at Wimbledon and there's a decent question whether he wins that too.

When it came to the slams, he had a lot of matches in his legs. Playing that much at 31 is maybe not too sensible.

duong
09-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Let's face it, he did brilliantly at tour level, but lost pretty comfortably in the Aus semis and US qfs, and in straights in the French semis. Take away the roof factor at Wimbledon and there's a decent question whether he wins that too.

When it came to the slams, he had a lot of matches in his legs. Playing that much at 31 is maybe not too sensible.

he lost a short match in Australia after 4 easy wins with no set lost and a walkover, and in the USA he lost a short match after 3 easy wins and a walkover.

Why would he have too many matches in his legs to explain those ?

Why would he be great in Cincy two weeks ago and bad in the US Open after so few sets played during the tournament ?

Moreover he came back twice from two sets-down in slams this year.

I think people make too much theory in these forums, it's like that, one day you win one day you lose but the "Fed is only about slams" thing in the past and the opposite now are bullshits.

In Australia, he had to face a very good Nadal on the ONE cold day of the fortnight and at night then in slow conditions.
In the US, he met a Berdych on very good form who loves playing him and Fed hadn't played a tough match yet, didn't know how to react.
In Roland-Garros, he played bad all tournament (as he never played well on clay this year).

And he wins the slam where he has back problems :shrug:

Last year in 2011, he played brilliantly in all slams imo but he didn't win one.

That's all, that's tennis : this year things are more normal than in the past, more about uncertainty, less about theory.

yesyesok
09-11-2012, 02:26 PM
I reckon Federer will play Shanghai-Basel-WTF since there's a one week break inbetween each one.

If he can win all 3 he will "defend" the 3000 points he won last November albeit at different tournaments and then the pressure is on Djokovic to gain 1400 over the 500 he won post US Open last year. Very much possible for Djokovic if he needs to do that but not as easy as it may sound.

Djokovic will probably take this though.

Looner
09-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I hope Murray withdraws from Shaghai and prepares well for the WTF. He can kick Djoko's arse in the groups there and allow RF some breathing space :o.

Johnny Groove
09-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Surely the Djoker unless he mugs it up again in the indoor season like he did last year and/or Fed vultures left and right.

Jaz
09-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Novak needs rest.

Hard to say at this point, I suspect it will be close.

Looner
09-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Even if Djoker's YE #1, he will have to win the AO again to retain it.

duarte_a
09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Surely the Djoker unless he mugs it up again in the indoor season like he did last year and/or Fed vultures left and right.

So beating 4 top 8 opponents in the WTF, plus 2 top 8 opponents in Paris 1000 is vulturing?! :confused:

What about djokovic's Toronto masters this year?

duong
09-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Even if Djoker's YE #1, he will have to win the AO again to retain it.

not sure (at the moment Fed is only 185 points ahead of Djokovic for the "number 1 after Melbourne" race ;) ), we could have the story "the number 1 is no real number one as he's won less slams than the guys behind him" once again :lol:

Seriously though, next year will be another story, even Andy Murray might get to number 1 ;)

So beating 4 top 8 opponents in the WTF, plus 2 top 8 opponents in Paris 1000 is vulturing?! :confused:

What about djokovic's Toronto masters this year?

Don't feed the troll.

cardio
09-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I think Fed is too smart to chase both year end # 1 and WTF. If he will do it, he may lose both . I think he has to choose one and he he has better chance to win WTF than overtake 1000 point gap in race .

Bad Religion
09-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Meaningless achievement. Murray should be the ITF player of the year as he won 2 of the 5 big titles this season. That's what matters

duong
09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
I think Fed is too smart to chase both year end # 1 and WTF. If he will do it, he may lose both . I think he has to choose one and he he has better chance to win WTF than overtake 1000 point gap in race .

the only real opposition is about Paris-Bercy, yes I think he will not play it. (would be funny if Nadal ws the only top-4 to play it by the way :lol: )

Which means that the two main tournaments for the rankings might be Shanghai and the WTF.

Anyway the next big one is probably Shanghai (Fed and Djokovic even met there in 2010 by the way)

Looner
09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Meaningless achievement. Murray should be the ITF player of the year as he won 2 of the 5 big titles this season. That's what matters

The only meaningless achievement this year is Dull winning Mickey Carlo (again :zzz:). As for your stupid statement, the 5 (6 if you want) biggest tournaments by (5 points) are the GS and WTF, so :bigwave:.

philosophicalarf
09-11-2012, 03:05 PM
he lost a short match in Australia after 4 easy wins with no set lost and a walkover, and in the USA he lost a short match after 3 easy wins and a walkover.

Why would he have too many matches in his legs to explain those ?

I'm thinking longer-term - he's played a ton of matches since Basel last year, gone deep in a lot of smaller tournaments. Even Djokovic isn't immune, look at last year after the US Open, he was a walking zombie.

92 matches in 12 months is pretty heavy going. Maybe "in his legs" wasn't the best phrasing, it was meaning mental as much as physical fatigue.

duong
09-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Djokovic's schedule in indoor season is less easy to guess than Fed's : for Fed we know he will play Basel and then probably skip Bercy.

But we don't know if Djokovic enters Valencia or Basel (we should know today) and then for instance it might be possible for Djokovic to play Paris-Bercy if he doesn't play previous week.

I'm thinking longer-term - he's played a ton of matches since Basel last year, gone deep in a lot of smaller tournaments. Even Djokovic isn't immune, look at last year after the US Open, he was a walking zombie.

92 matches in 12 months is pretty heavy going. Maybe "in his legs" wasn't the best phrasing, it was meaning mental as much as physical fatigue.

I understand but I don't think that explains his losses to Nadal in Australia, to Djokovic in Roland-Garros and even to Berdych in the US Open. There were other reasons. I mean I can understand your point about the end of year, but the arguing about Fed in slams looked to much like many things we've read.

Besides, as for the end of year, Federer has been very good there in recent years.

caisenma
09-11-2012, 03:17 PM
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, i think it's quite clear what he should do.

Federer should play Shanghai, Basle, and WTF.

There's every chance he could replace last fall's points with these and be no worse for it. Furthermore, this schedule allows him to replace Bercy with Shanghai and gives him a week off before WTF.

He can capture a lot of points as a result, but if it's not enough to retain number 1, so be it. It's better to play well at the tournaments you enter than enter everything possible and perhaps suffer poor form as a result.

Go with these three tournaments and if it's not enough to hold off Novak, tip your hat to him.

guichard
09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
It looks like Djokovic didn't enter Basel/Valencia. It makes thing a bit intersting

iriraz
09-11-2012, 04:08 PM
It looks like Djokovic didn't enter Basel/Valencia. It makes thing a bit intersting

A lot deppends on the rankings after the Asian tournaments.If it`s a close race,then Djokovic easly can ask for a WC for one of these tournaments.
Also it will be interesting to see who will play in Bercy.With no break between this event and WTF,top guys might skip it.But on the other hand if the rankings are close,the top guys might take a risk and play 3 straight weeks.

feuselino
09-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Would be funny if Djoker asks for a WC into Basel and they don't give it to him... ;)

IOFH
09-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Federer is undoubtedly the best indoor-player in the world. I expect No2e to suffer "mental fatigue" (:spit:) again and not keep up his standard as high, on these courts it's easier to surprise him as well.

DemiCrayanhan
09-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Statistically speaking - can Andy surpass both? I mean can pigs continue to fly from New York to London via Shanghai?

Roamed
09-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I think Fed will need to at least win Shanghai along with success in Basel and WTF to take YE #1. I also don't see him going undefeated at the WTF by any means like the last couple of years. It's possible for him to take it but I don't think he'll mind missing out in the end.

He can probably get #1 back next year for a few weeks if Djokovic does not defend AO.

EliSter
09-11-2012, 05:46 PM

:superlol:

Certinfy
09-11-2012, 05:48 PM
If Murray defends Tokyo and Shanghai he could potentially push one to number 3.

I think Djokovic will definitely finish as world number 1 though.

nick the greek
09-11-2012, 05:48 PM
No1e is a pussy and a loser so it'll be old man.:)

NJ88
09-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Murray has a shout at number one, but it's doubtful this year. I think he might make it next year.

I think Federer will still be number one by the end of it.

EliSter
09-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Djokovic if not mentaly broken after this shamefull final. He is defending crap, and i dont think Olderer can win so many points like last year. Mugray wont ever be No. 1 so dont get your hopes up. If that happens one day tennis will probably die like it did a bit yesterday.

duong
09-11-2012, 06:41 PM

I don't think Federer and Murray will play Bercy, Federer playing Basel will want one week off before the WTF and for Murray, the WTF will be an absolute priority as it's in his coungtry, and he's also entered Basel.

If Djokovic wins Bercy and Federer doesn't play there as I think (like in Toronto), Fed would need to win everything he plays to finish the year as number 1.

It may make sense now for Djokovic also for money concerns (contrary to Federer, he's not old enough to skip MS1000 tournaments without losing his allowance in the "bonus pool").

wackykid
09-11-2012, 06:49 PM

I don't think Federer and Murray will play Bercy, Federer playing Basel will want one week off before the WTF and for Murray, the WTF will be an absolute priority as it's in his coungtry, and he's also entered Basel.

If Djokovic wins Bercy, Fed would need to win everything he plays to finish the year as number 1.

i doubt federer can repeat the same feat this year and win everything after USO.... how often do you see the same streaks repeating for consecutive years...?? meaning i think federer will LOSE something...

likewise... djokovic's poor streak post USO last year... i doubt he'll repeat that streak this year... so he'd be winning MORE this time round compared to last year..

meaning... djokovic likely to be YE #1...

regards,
wacky

duong
09-11-2012, 06:53 PM
i doubt federer can repeat the same feat this year and win everything after USO.... how often do you see the same streaks repeating for consecutive years...?? meaning i think federer will LOSE something...

likewise... djokovic's poor streak post USO last year... i doubt he'll repeat that streak this year... so he'd be winning MORE this time round compared to last year..

meaning... djokovic likely to be YE #1...

regards,
wacky

yes I agree, but it's not at all the same thing as last year which is asked from Federer, that damn schedule change changes the whole thing !

in the end, rather than Federer winning Bercy like last year, I think Fed will not play it and Djokovic will play it, it makes a complete difference.

If it was the same schedule as last year, I would be quite comfident, now I think it's nearly impossible.

delpiero7
09-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I hope Murray withdraws from Shaghai and prepares well for the WTF. He can kick Djoko's arse in the groups there and allow RF some breathing space :o.

Based on history, Murray has a much better shot at winning in Shanghai than in Paris, having won the touranment on the two occassions that he has played it. In terms of ranking points, he'd be better off playing Shanghai, Valencia, WTFs.

emotion
09-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Murray isn't out of it

Will end year close to a 3 way tie, Djokovic edges it

Andi-M
09-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Novak for sure will end Ye#1.

garad
09-11-2012, 08:38 PM
If Federer was ruthless about his year end n1 ranking, he should replace Basel with one of Tokyo or Beijing. So his shedule should look like: Tokyo/Beijing + Shanghai ...... Paris Bercy + WTF. That would maximize his chances with enough breaks in between. But he wont do that of course.

Looner
09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
If Federer was ruthless about his year end n1 ranking, he should replace Basel with one of Tokyo or Beijing. So his shedule should look like: Tokyo/Beijing + Shanghai ...... Paris Bercy + WTF. That would maximize his chances with enough breaks in between. But he wont do that of course.

If he was ruthless, he'd play Shaghai, Paris and WTF. Possibly Beijing or Tokyo. But we know he won't and there's no need when he possibly will get the 300 weeks. I mean there's no chance of him catching up to Graf's 370, so we push needlessly. Having said that, if he finished #1, that's an additional 8-10 weeks. He might very well get close to 320 if he finishes as YE #1. However, it's unlikely.

TigerTim
09-11-2012, 08:45 PM
no.1 is nice and all, but from a pragmatic viewpoint no.1 and no.2 are good.

August
09-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Beijing really would give him a chance to grab points off from Nole.

August
09-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Knowing Rafa is no.4, Roger should aim for no.3.

Looner
09-11-2012, 08:48 PM

Actually, #2 seems to get the easier draws. Just look Dull and Pushovic recently :rolleyes:. Thank God Muzzah saved the day.

caisenma
09-11-2012, 09:10 PM
can someone clarify this for me...

1. federer is guaranteed 299 weeks at number 1.

2. what needs to happen for federer to maintain number 1 at shanghai, and break 300 weeks, or is it entirely on novak's racquet?

3. furthermore, in terms of a point break down, how many points does federer realistically need to capture this year in order to keep his ranking?

... 300 weeks is an absurd amount of time to spend at the top of a sport. simply incredible. full props to graf as well, as that's a record that's not soon to be broken.

nick the greek
09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Novak for sure will end Ye#1.
No way,he's old himself again, losing to mugs, faking, cheating.

duong
09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
1. federer is guaranteed 299 weeks at number 1.

2. what needs to happen for federer to maintain number 1 at shanghai, and break 300 weeks, or is it entirely on novak's racquet?.

if Fed plays Shanghai and reaches the QF there, he's guaranteed 302 weeks until the end of Bercy.

Djokovic needs to win both Beijing and Shanghai and Fed not reach QF in Shanghai to be number 1 after Shanghai.

3. furthermore, in terms of a point break down, how many points does federer realistically need to capture this year in order to keep his ranking?.

can you rephrase your question ? not sure what it means

caisenma
09-11-2012, 09:27 PM
if Fed plays Shanghai and reaches the QF there, he's guaranteed 302 weeks until the end of Bercy.

Djokovic needs to win both Beijing and Shanghai and Fed not reach QF in Shanghai to be number 1 after Shanghai.

can you rephrase your question ? not sure what it means

thanks for your info, greatly appreciated!

sorry, my last question was supposed to read something along the lines of:

how many points do you think federer needs from all his remaining tournaments to realistically maintain his ranking for year-end number 1?

but of course, that's a double-edged question as a lot will surely depend on how many points djokovic picks up himself...

duong
09-11-2012, 09:29 PM
how many points do you think federer needs from all his remaining tournaments to realistically maintain his ranking for year-end number 1?

but of course, that's a double-edged question as a lot will surely depend on how many points djokovic picks up himself...

yes, that's very tough to say : he needs 1005 more points than Djokovic :lol:

caisenma
09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
considering it's possible that federer will play three fewer MS 1000's than nole, that's a surprisingly small number.

duong
09-12-2012, 08:36 AM
considering it's possible that federer will play three fewer MS 1000's than nole, that's a surprisingly small number.

Djokovic hasn't played one of them yet (Bercy) but yes it's true : Monte-Carlo, Toronto and Bercy.

But Fed will have one more ATP500 result (Rotterdam) and one more ATP250 (Halle).

Looner
09-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Typical vulture. That Toronto MM win might prove the tiebreaker for YE #1.

duong
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't like the "vulture gimmick" on MTF but actually this year's annoying schedule (Toronto the week after the Olympics and Paris the week before the WTF) may well be a benediction for Djokovic for the YE #1 in the end.

Cereal Killer
09-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Typical vulture. That Toronto MM win might prove the tiebreaker for YE #1.

Yes. Those are the 1000 points he has more than Fed at this point (race).

finishingmove
09-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Fed not even able to vulture nowadays?

wtf

Get some lessons from Ferrer and other real tennis players.

sexybeast
09-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Federer could play Beijing/Tokyo, but surely he wont.

Johnny Groove
09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Just gotta take it week by week from here on in, will be exciting I think.

Brick Top
09-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't think Andy will care too much until WTF, so it is between Roger and Novak.

guichard
09-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't think Andy will care too much until WTF, so it is between Roger and Novak.

The real issue is that murray is about 3000 points behind Djokovic in the race ranking. Not impossible but highly unlikely

Sent from my iPod touch using VS Free

caisenma
09-12-2012, 04:29 PM

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what Andy or anyone else not named Novak or Roger thinks. Andy's chance to get number 1 in all probability won't come until 2013.

guichard
09-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Federer: "I don't know if i play Shanghai.We'll see after DC.This year i like to think about the short term" https://twitter.com/kkiara89/status/246231105953492993

duarte_a
09-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Federer: "I don't know if i play Shanghai.We'll see after DC.This year i like to think about the short term" https://twitter.com/kkiara89/status/246231105953492993

OMFG....

Screw the DC Roger...... Play the masters 1000!!!!

When you're 35 and on you can win the davis cup for your country.

Roamed
09-13-2012, 01:44 PM

I wonder what influence DC can have on his decision :scratch: I know his family aren't there, maybe he's weighing up the negatives of them possibly not accompanying him to Shanghai either?

I hope he plays Shanghai anyway, there's no chance that he plays Paris..

paseo
09-13-2012, 01:48 PM
lol

The GOAT doesn't vulture.

duong
09-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I wonder what influence DC can have on his decision :scratch:

he says he will think of it later, not that DC has an influence.

As he said in a recent interview ( Family first for Federer these days (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/family-first-for-federer-these-days-20120908-25kor.html) ), people often forget that he's a family-man now and it's very important for him. He says that sometimes he may lose some matches (or points) because of it but he says it's not a problem : he prefers it this way, living these two sides of life.

The only influence DC may have is if he has physical problems.

Looner
09-13-2012, 01:53 PM

FFS

guichard
09-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I wonder what influence DC can have on his decision :scratch: I know his family aren't there, maybe he's weighing up the negatives of them possibly not accompanying him to Shanghai either?

I hope he plays Shanghai anyway, there's no chance that he plays Paris..
Not a lot but he may feel tired after the summer.

Johnny Groove
09-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Fed clearly has more priorities. Not only the family, but think about it. He already has the modern weeks at #1 record, but he's never won Davis Cup.

manadrainer
09-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Shit. If Fed manages to fuck up the 300 weeks as he did with 286, I'll go mad about it.

Federer in 2
10-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Well now Federer has almost no chance at YE#1. Anyway, there is pretty much only one scenario for this to happen after all:

Basel:
Federer needs to win the tournament.

Paris:
Federer needs to win the tournament, and hope Djokovic doesn't make it to the final.

London:
Federer needs to win the tournament, and hope for 2 things:
- That Djokovic will lose at least one match in his group.
- That Djokovic won't reach the final.

finishingmove
10-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Ok, well, bar for some (:help:), this was known after the US Open...

TBkeeper
10-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Djokovic is 95% YE - n1. Well for sure we'll know everything after Basel :)

romismak
10-14-2012, 02:10 PM
At this point i think besides biggest fedfans nobody believes in Roger to be YE No.1. Only Nole´sinjury can stop him from YE No.1: He is leading by something like 2250 points i think so with 3000 points left Roger Roger at Basel-Paris-WTF... he must win everything and Nole must do badly at PAris and WTF... hard to imagine both - Nole doing badly and Roger winning 3 weeks in row - 14 or 15 matches in row.

I posted before Beijing that Nole is favorite for No.1 but in other thread i confused thread probably for YE No.1:D I just read that Roger after his SF loss said he will give everything to be YE No.1 and try to finish strong again...

I still believe he will skip Paris, because he knows his chances for YE No.1 are very slim and better to try win WTF than exhaust himself in Paris before WTF i believe.

Slasher1985
10-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Yeah, YE #1 all depends on Nole not losing it rather than Roger winning it.

Time Violation
10-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Nole pretty much secured it here, but not just that, Roger looked awful here in the semis, poor serving, and even before that having huge trouble against Wawrinka, doesn't look nearly as good as the last fall. If Murray doesn't pull from Basel, will be interesting to see what happens there.

Lin Lin
10-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Hard to say:unsure:

Litotes
10-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Djokovic is 95% YE - n1. Well for sure we'll know everything after Basel :)

Perhaps a little early. If Federer reaches Basel SF Djokovic will have to wait until Paris to secure YE#1 with 100% certainty.