US'12: First slam champion to not beat Federer or Nadal on way to title since RG'04 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US'12: First slam champion to not beat Federer or Nadal on way to title since RG'04

Dmitry Verdasco
09-10-2012, 11:12 AM
....or be Federer/Nadal themselves :p

2004 French Open o
2005 Australian Open +
2008 Australian Open +
2009 US Open + +
2011 Australian Open +
2011 Wimbledon +
2011 US Open + +
2012 Australian Open +
2012 US Open o

+ Beat Federer
+ Beat Nadal
o Beat neither

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, end of an era?

Discuss.

TigerTim
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Yes.

rob_z
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
It's to early to say whether it's the end of an era. But Nole has become the must succesful player in 2011 (and maybe 2012). And Murray improved this year.
Now we have to see how good Nadal comes back from his injury. Federer still plays great, but it will get every year more difficult dor him to compete with the younger players.

TBkeeper
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
This is the first slam without neither Federer nor Nadal in the semis ...
End of an era !

TigerTim
09-10-2012, 11:18 AM
2004 French open was great

ossie
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
fedal is overrated these days. their absence doesn't diminish this tournament imo.

Fujee
09-10-2012, 11:36 AM
If Rafa had been here, I would have been confident he would be there in the semi's or will next year if his recovery is all going to plan. So end of an era in one way but not in another.

BroTree123
09-10-2012, 11:39 AM
fedal is overrated these days. their absence doesn't diminish this tournament imo.

Where's del Potro?

BigJohn
09-10-2012, 12:15 PM
So according to Nadaltards, this win will come with a * since the winner did not defeat Nadal...

finishingmove
09-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Djokovic and Murray are the guys to beat now.

Del Potro could be one too next year.

Looner
09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Djokovic and Murray are the guys to beat now.

Del Potro could be one too next year.

That is good news. It means Roger beat the "players to beat at the moment" to win his Wimbledon title. GOAT :worship:.

TigerTim
09-10-2012, 01:01 PM
That is good news. It means Roger beat the "players to beat at the moment" to win his Wimbledon title. GOAT :worship:.

No, you see that win will have a * next it also. Djokovic has swine flu and Murray SARs.

Surely you realise any slam federer wins is a fluke.

Fedmug: Fluking wins since 2003 :p

Looner
09-10-2012, 01:10 PM
No, you see that win will have a * next it also. Djokovic has swine flu and Murray SARs.

Surely you realise any slam federer wins is a fluke.

Fedmug: Fluking wins since 2003 :p

The last true and deserving slam winner - Andy the Duck :worship:.

TigerTim
09-10-2012, 01:30 PM
The last true and deserving slam winner - Andy the Duck :worship:.

Exactly. Andy and Roscoe Tanner are the only true slam winners of the Open era.

The Fearhand
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
So according to Nadaltards, this win will come with a * since the winner did not defeat Nadal...

Which nadaltards said that ? I'd love for you to point that out since I obviously missed that part in this thread as well other threads including the ''Would Murray's GS be tainted?'' thread. If nadaltards said that, it's quite sad or they are trolling but I have a feeling you made that up.

As far as the thread goes i'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. I guess that speaks volumes of Federers superb consistency to be nearly always playing a semi in nearly every GS.

ossie
09-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Where's del Potro?he has taken their place as the guy to beat obviously.

Dmitry Verdasco
09-10-2012, 02:06 PM

:cuckoo:

I mentioned Nadal and Federer, and actually Federer has been beaten in 5 of those slams, Nadal in 4. It's just about the greatest era in mens tennis possibly ending. It will end, we're all sure of that, I just think it's interesting to try and exactly pinpoint it's/their demise.

Which nadaltards said that ? I'd love for you to point that out since I obviously missed that part in this thread as well other threads including the ''Would Murray's GS be tainted?'' thread. If nadaltards said that, it's quite sad or they are trolling but I have a feeling you made that up.

As far as the thread goes i'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. I guess that speaks volumes of Federers superb consistency to be nearly always playing a semi in nearly every GS.

Just Federer's?

Again, Federer faced the eventual champion (not Nadal) 5 times. Nadal 4. I find it crazy that in the passed 7/8 years, amongst all the injuries, Nadal has always been there on the odd occasion that Federer hasn't.