Players You Appreciate/Respect More in Hindsight [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Players You Appreciate/Respect More in Hindsight

BackhandDTL
09-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Someone mentioned Tim Henman the other day, and I found myself respectfully looking back on his efforts and achievements. The irony of it is that I couldn't stand him while he was actually playing. In MTF terms, I thought he was a mug. It seems that's behind me now, though, and I am able to appreciate him more.

I also noticed that Roddick received a lot more love and admiration upon his retirement than he has in recent years. And something tells me that'll happen with a lot of players from the past decade in the coming years (hopefully for reasons other than nostalgia).

It got me wondering if there are players that you all are more fond of now than when they actually played.

Backhand_Maestro
09-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Ferrer.

Henman was a Hen fighting men.

admirable

TigerTim
09-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Ferru, Guga, Henin, Ancic

Orka_n
09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
I have this nagging feeling that I will actually miss Nadal a little after he retires.

IOFH
09-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Soderling.

DJ Soup
09-09-2012, 11:23 PM
I have this nagging feeling that I will actually miss Nadal a little after he retires.

I won't. Tennis is better as it is right now, where I respect everyone's playing style. Even Murray's.

Looner
09-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I really don't have anyone that I think I'll respect more. Maybe Djokovic but I still like him when he plays more aggressive than a pusher (happens very seldom nowadays).

http://cdn.stripersonline.com/e/e6/240x196px-LL-e66ddef6_reverse-1253886001_office-no.gif

The Prince
09-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Ljubo.

Sanya
09-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Well, all players who I supported for years. I cried when Andre retired, still miss Moya and have crazy hope than El Mago returns once. :sad:

But Henin, mentioned higher, yep. Even if TOP-10 in ATP retires tommorow, plenty of intresting players will still be playing in ATP, it is worth watching. When Justine called it a day, the whole sport (WTA) for some time disappeared with her. Only later I understood how important for tennis and really talented she was.

TigerTim
09-09-2012, 11:33 PM
this guy for sure

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2009/03/roger-federer-shirtless.jpg

don't give him enough credit.

EliSter
09-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I really don't have anyone that I think I'll respect more. Maybe Djokovic but I still like him when he plays more aggressive than a pusher (happens very seldom nowadays).

http://cdn.stripersonline.com/e/e6/240x196px-LL-e66ddef6_reverse-1253886001_office-no.gif

Lol. To be honest i admire Nadal and his fight spirit. I will miss him once he is gone, and Olderer too. NO matter how may i dislike them now cause they are standing on the way of my fav. they are one of the best players ever in many ways. The era of good old Olderer Nadull and Faker and epics they had will be missed soon enough.

selyoink
09-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Davydenko. I miss watching the most exciting player on tour at his peak.

Hewitt, Ferrero and Coria as well.

green25814
09-10-2012, 12:10 AM

Big one for me. I couldn't stand Denko at his peak, now I really miss him :sad:

Topspindoctor
09-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Roddick. For finally realizing that it was time to retire unlike his fellow mug Hewitt. :o

swebright
09-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Safin. Wildly talented and likable guy.

Edda
09-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Ferrer and Ferrero

Freak3yman84
09-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Roddick :sobbing: I never appreciated him enough! But also, I miss Monfils now that he's been out a while despite him being a clown he's wildly entertaining.

emotion
09-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Ferrero :sad:
Why the hell do people say Ferrer? He is top 10 now

Federer in 2
09-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Nadal.

ApproachShot
09-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Goran Ivanisevic amongst retired players. I could never really warm to his style and didn't enjoy watching his matches very much, whereas I always liked his contemporary Pat Rafter. So I was naturally a bit disappointed at the outcome of the Wimbledon 2001 final.

But since his retirement and having had a chance to reflect back on his career I really do miss him on tour. He seems to be a very likeable person in the media snippets he has done over the last few years. With the benefit of hindsight I am now glad that he finally won the Wimbledon trophy in 2001. He deserved it.

Out of currently active players, I have to choose Robin Soderling. I didn't know too much about him prior to Wimbledon 2007 when he caused a bit of a stir by doing an over the top imitation of Nadal's pre-serve routine during their match there. I'm not sure if it was a case of bad PR management prior to when he started working with Magnus Norman, but he never seemed to garner much good press. Coupled with the fact that several players allegedly commented that he kept quite aloof in the dressing room didn't give me a good impression about him.

But then with hard work and determination and achieved some great results. I've seen a practice session of his from only a few feet away. He was so focused at the task in hand. I'm glad that the change led him to be known for good reasons - namely his tennis - particularly at Roland Garros in 2009 but then again in 2010. He became a threat to the top guys and in this era, that alone deserves respect. I sure have missed his presence on tour.

wfrw07
09-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Sampras. I grew up on the Agassi side of things (since I was a teenager and Sampras struck me as boring) and rooted against Pete pretty much always. When Federer beat hi at Wimbledon, I immediately became a Federer fan on that match alone.

Now when I see his matches and look back at this career, I love his game and the way he played.

motorhead
09-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Sampras. I grew up on the Agassi side of things (since I was a teenager and Sampras struck me as boring) and rooted against Pete pretty much always. When Federer beat hi at Wimbledon, I immediately became a Federer fan on that match alone.

Now when I see his matches and look back at this career, I love his game and the way he played.

quite the same for me.

HKz
09-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Rafa definitely grew on me more and more over the years. I certainly looked up to him early just for his physical prowess on court, but tennis wise I didn't enjoy him as much and I was even a bit baffled as to how he could be as successful as he was with such a style. However, he certainly has become a player I've appreciated over the years, even if he has had a lot of questionable on-court tactics/knacks that I haven't taken too kindly for..

Slade
09-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Kneedal. I only started liking him in 2010-2011

BackhandDTL
09-10-2012, 07:15 AM
I see a lot of Nadal and Fed fans mentioning their man's main rival, which is a pretty respectable admission.

Ferrero :sad:
Why the hell do people say Ferrer? He is top 10 now

I was wondering that too... There's nothing eye-opening about liking a player once they get better, lol.

Goran Ivanisevic amongst retired players. I could never really warm to his style and didn't enjoy watching his matches very much, whereas I always liked his contemporary Pat Rafter. So I was naturally a bit disappointed at the outcome of the Wimbledon 2001 final.

Oddly, I ended up despising Ivanisevic after he retired. I remember my mom explaining to me the years he spent failing to break through as we watched him serve his way to the finals of Wimbledon in 2001. I scarcely remember his dramatic final against Rafter, and how happy we were for him even though I was actually a great fan of Pat back then. I was genuinely happy for him.

Years later, I can't stand him, and I'm honest enough to admit that it's probably because of all the 90's nostalgic that seem to depict him as much more than he actually was.

Nole Rules
09-10-2012, 07:28 AM
I will miss Nadal for sure.

MaxPower
09-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Safin. Didn't comprehend his full genious until after he retired. If his work ethic had been better and he'd practiced harder I think his potential was limitless.

Safin with a Federer-like work ethic/durability had been a pure beast and probably prevented the descendance into slow courts/pushing.

You see that kind of Safin would have been a worthy rival of Federer even on fast surfaces. Then no need to slow everything down. That had prevented the entire development curve that lead tennis into defensive pushing and gave career slam to a claygrinder.

dazed1
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Soderling!

TBkeeper
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM

THIS !!!
In 2005 When i was 9 years old i decided to pick one player who will be my CLEAR favourite so I watched Davydenko vs Grosjean at Doha 2005. Davydenko won 2-6 6-3 6-2 . In the end of the match i was something like :eek: :drool: and from then on i decided that Davydenko will be my favourite player ! Watching him since the exact begining of 2005 :)
I'm mentioning it cause in 2004 i watched him against Fed in the Olympics 1st round i thought something like "this little guy has no chance against Federer !" but he fought bravely in his own unique way altough losing 3-6 7-5 1-6 ... in the remaining half year i didn't wanted to watch him cause when i understood that since 2001 (3 years) he was mugging it up and I was thinking he had reached his potential... when i think of it now ( I was dead wrong ! ) That's some info bout my passion with Davy.

P.S. Also i Admire now Ljubicic,Ferrero and Roddick... I NEVER payed attention to him altough he was my FIRST ever watched player [Along with Ferrero (second) and Roddick (third)] :cry: meaning that My first Match ever watched was Ljubicic vs Ferrero 2nd round Rome masters 2002 which Ljubo won 7-5 6-2 but i wasn't THAT interested when i was what ..... 6 years old ..... nearly 7 years old (God.....Life is passing quickly :cry:)

Legend: The Bold italic underlined ones are Retired players.

Edit: God .....What a Career would've Davy had if he was part of the 'New Balls' Generation ... i mean TOP-10 beggining 2001/2/3 or even i would've been glad 2004 even if he developed 1 year faster
BUT since his peak is 2005-2009 (half Fed half """Stong""" era) nearly no one esteems him :sad:

rocketassist
09-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Most of the 'New Balls'- Hewitt in particular who everyone loved to hate back in 2001-02, but I grew to appreciate a lot more as time passed. JCF I was ambivalent to back in 03 but I have tons of respect for him.

Federer, Nalbandian, Safin, Hewitt, Roddick, Haas, Ferrero, Coria.. what a generation :sad:

PiggyGotRoasted
09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Hewitt, used to hate him but now he has become a lot more likeable and less arrogant and showing how much of a fighter he is.

acionescu
09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Courier, Soderling

luie
09-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Lendl / Roddick / nadull. In hindsight Admire their work ethic and never give up attitude.

Sophitia36
09-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Hewitt, used to hate him but now he has become a lot more likeable and less arrogant and showing how much of a fighter he is.

Same thing.

I guess I could say Nadal, too... Not really "in hindsight", but I am slowly getting to appreciate him, while I used to hate him.

Guga, possibly... I've always disliked him with no good reason. I can't say I like him but at least I've reached some kind of appeasement, and it become even more obvious that there was no good reason to hate him :D

Can't say Coria, because I was already head over heels for him at the time.

Edda
09-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Del Potro. I didn't like him at all when I first saw him, but after he won the bronze medal at the Olympics, I was happy for him. He wanted to win a medal for his country because Argentina hadn't won anything up until then in London.

Bagelicious
09-11-2012, 01:29 AM
I was always ambiguous about Andre Agassi, but in his last couple of years, seeing how much effort he put in to hang around after all his contemporaries had retired, I really got to appreciate both his game and personality.