Lendl as Coach [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lendl as Coach

jjc225
09-09-2012, 04:37 PM
How much credit should Lendl get for Murray's current good play?

TigerTim
09-09-2012, 04:40 PM
none,in fact without lendl Murray would have won all slams this year

The Fearhand
09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Mentally....A LOT.
As for his game ? Not much. Murray was always skilled but mentally handicapped and with Lendl in charge that has decreased , not entirely but enough to help him over that hump.

hipolymer
09-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Lendl hates Murray. You can see it in his utterly bored expression during every one of Uglyray's disgusting matches. :mad:

mystic ice cube
09-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Lendl hates Murray. You can see it in his utterly bored expression during every one of Uglyray's disgusting matches. :mad:
Disregarding a tennis players ability because you think he isn't good looking. #TRUETENNISFAN

Mountaindewslave
09-09-2012, 05:05 PM
he probably threatens to like beam him with tennis balls like he did Mccenroe haha so possibly he helps Murray's mentality

uxyzapenje
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
He has a hidden agenda. He doesn't like losing most GS finals before winning one, so he wants to make Andy break his record, then he'll ditch him. Such a :devil: this Lendl.

Cereal Killer
09-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Well, I think Lendl is a good coach, but probably not better than the likes of Brad Gilbert, Darren Cahill etc. The difference is that Ivan has actually achieved something in his career, while those other guys were mediocre in comparison. I think Lendl is probably criticising the same things as his previous coaches, telling him to be more aggressive, come to the net more etc. The difference is Andy actually listens to him, because he has a lot of respect for Lendl as a player.

Captain Piranha
09-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Mentally....A LOT.
As for his game ? Not much. Murray was always skilled but mentally handicapped and with Lendl in charge that has decreased , not entirely but enough to help him over that hump.

Yes, but not just in the 'dig in' 'stay strong' way. I think Andy always fancied himself as a great tacticial, and his tactics always worked. I see some effort in trying to improve the 2nd serve, variety of forehand & maybe a little more agressive on 2nd serve return.

Otherwise, much the same :)

PedroMarquess
09-09-2012, 05:33 PM
None. He was a great player already who was stoped by Nadal in the semis most of the times. You should make a thread asking "Did Nadal injury helped Murray?"

homogenius
09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Not much.How is Murray is really different now than in the previous years ? He still failed in slams.Winning the OG was great for him but it's not really the same.And if he does win tomorrow it would have more to do with his cakewalk draw and having one more day of rest than with Lendl's help.

Tag
09-09-2012, 05:55 PM
lendl has transformed murray mentally

and he has also instructed him to be more aggressive with the forehand and finish more points off at the net

this is blatantly obvious if you compare murray's matches from this year to previous years

however, murray still has this awful(and natural) mentality of trying to outlast people on court. i know he's from up north, and survived on raw potatoes and undistilled spirits when he was growing up, but it's ridiculous and not needed on a tennis court

lendl deserves credit, no doubt about it

Swiss_Bagels17
09-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Lendl has been great for Murray because he comes from a similar background to him in terms of what they achieved at the point in the career (Ivan took over) Murray has become a little bit more aggressive and tactically he is better but I still want Boris Becker to coach Murray.

swebright
09-09-2012, 06:07 PM
More of a mentor than a coach. But he helped with Andy's game too. Most important thing is no more grabbing all his body parts/ bad body language.

jjc225
09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Lots of interesting responses so far. I asked about Lendl as coach because frankly I don't know what it takes to be a tennis coach, or how to even evaluate this work. Was Connors a good coach? Has Edberg ever gotten into it? How about McEnroe? How much money is involved in this? For example, what do you suppose Murray is paying Lendl to do this? I hear people talking about the mental aspect. Well, if someone can make a difference for the better, maybe it's worth it for someone to bring in a coach who used to be a world class player. Anyway, thanks for the responses.

TigerTim
09-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Connors was a awful coach - Jimbo killed andy

mcnasty
09-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I hear people talking about the mental aspect. Well, if someone can make a difference for the better, maybe it's worth it for someone to bring in a coach who used to be a world class player.

I remember when Lendl was posed with the idea that what separates a top player from the rest of field is strictly mental that Lendl's response was "Bull****."

But, Lendl is also quoted as saying that Murray is far more talented than he--Lendl--ever was, so who knows what exactly Lendl would say to improve Murray's stroke production other than the usual "be more aggressive," "attack the second serve," etc.

My guess would be that it's an emotional affiliation, that Murray appreciates and respects Lendl for the player that he was and the person that he is.

Sanya
09-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Well, I think Lendl is a good coach, but probably not better than the likes of Brad Gilbert, Darren Cahill etc. The difference is that Ivan has actually achieved something in his career, while those other guys were mediocre in comparison. I think Lendl is probably criticising the same things as his previous coaches, telling him to be more aggressive, come to the net more etc. The difference is Andy actually listens to him, because he has a lot of respect for Lendl as a player.

I just couldn`t help passing by this. :) I see your point, but this wording is really funny, "something" about Lendl`s accomplishments. :lol: ;)

quarter
09-09-2012, 10:07 PM
every minute spent with lendl is a minute not spent with judy, so the result has to be positive.

TigerTim
09-09-2012, 10:17 PM
I just couldn`t help passing by this. :) I see your point, but this wording is really funny, "something" about Lendl`s accomplishments. :lol: ;)

:spit:

DJ Soup
09-09-2012, 10:20 PM
this is ironic, but I think Lendl made Murray more likeable

Cereal Killer
09-09-2012, 10:23 PM

;)

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-09-2012, 10:43 PM
he's made 2 finals this year
+ olympic gold

you dont change things when they are this good

it works

federer did it without a coach at all

Orka_n
09-09-2012, 11:09 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aK4fgJcVFeW6/610x.jpg

stewietennis
09-09-2012, 11:43 PM
federer did it without a coach at all

If everyone tried to do what Federer did, you'd have a lot of athletes with no coaches and one handed backhands – how many of those do you think will succeed in the sport?

green25814
09-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Lendl helps him mentally. He's like a big father figure, ice cold and unemotional. Andy never used to have that in his box, he was stuck with his mother instead most of the time.

Freak3yman84
09-10-2012, 12:50 AM
If he loses tomorrow then none.
If he wins tomorrow then a ton.

Topspindoctor
09-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Well, Lendl didn't improve Pushray's girly second serve and club level forehand, so I say he's doing a great job so far.

TigerTim
09-10-2012, 01:04 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=503686596326501

Raiden
09-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Mentally....A LOT.
As for his game ? Not much.Bullshit.

A top player's coach's job is to bring the best out of the player, not go back to square-one and teach him how to play tennis.

Djokovic didn't learn a new "game" as you call it, in 2008 - neither did Federer learn a new "game" in 2003.

decrepitude
09-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Well, Lendl didn't improve Pushray's girly second serve and club level forehand, so I say he's doing a great job so far.

I have no way of disproving the disparagement of his forehand, but if there is no improvement in his "girly second serve", then how do you explain the fact that in 2011 he was lying 44th in the stats for second serve points won, and this year he is up to 8th?

shadows
09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Give it a bit more time.

If he loses to Djokovic in the finals the discussion is kind of moot. I mean, if he makes two finals this year and loses both (again) then what happens? I guess it's on Lendl at that point to get him mentally in the right place for 2013 if the partnership holds up.

Anyone Murray brings onto the team is put there to win him a slam; regardless of game or mentality improvements, if the the desired results don't manifest then personal improvements almost don't matter at this point. Of course he might win tonight, in which case Lendl's appointment will almost definitely be considered a big success.

TigerTim
09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I have no way of disproving the disparagement of his forehand, but if there is no improvement in his "girly second serve", then how do you explain the fact that in 2011 he was lying 44th in the stats for second serve points won, and this year he is up to 8th?

Owned.

Looner
09-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Too good :bowdown:.

thrust
09-10-2012, 08:00 PM

I AGREE. Andy does seem calmer on court, even when things are not going well.

jjc225
09-11-2012, 01:41 AM
Well, Lendl hit the jackpot with Murray winning the US Open.

CCBH
09-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I think I saw the change right at the AO this year, with Andy strting to dictate more points with his forehand, though he made lots of erros in the semifinal, which he should have won anyway. Thing is, he is not whining constantly anymore, and whether it affects his game or not, it has to be better for his mental state not to go up and down so much. He even told his box to calm down in the 5th set today :lol:. Perfect to have to stare at that rock face of Lendl after every point :superlol:

Maybe just a sense of urgency in his approach with Lendl there, and a voice in his ear that he actually respects.