Should there be a wind rule in tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should there be a wind rule in tennis?

bjurra
09-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Personally I think yes. At some point strong wind makes play unsuitable and I am not talking about the safety of players and spectators, I am talking about fair play and the better player progressing.

If you like freak tennis and strange results, then dont introduce a rule. But if you want results to reflect the level of the players, then play should be suspended when it is too windy. Wind makes tennis just as pointless as rain.

jcempire
09-09-2012, 03:10 PM
yes, I go with you

scoobs
09-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Yes.

From a sport purist point of view, no because it's safe to play so it's just another condition to deal with.

But at this level sport is about entertainment too and beyond a certain level of wind, tennis is just impossible to play in an entertaining way - it becomes about trying to put the ball over the net somehow and almost everything else goes out of the window.

mystic ice cube
09-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I think there should be to some degree, but tennis players have been used to playing with wind at times over there career. In golf for instance people see it as a talent to deal with harsh conditions. My favourite player is Federer, and I would wish him to play indoors all the time because it suits his game, but playing with the weather is just a part of almost every sport. Obviously if the wind gets to be unbearable you would have to stop (like last night).

selyoink
09-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I say no. I think the paying spectators probably prefer to watch wind affected tennis then not watch tennis at all.

finishingmove
09-09-2012, 03:12 PM
The better player is the one that deals with the conditions better.

With that said, there should be a certain threshold beyond which it should not be played. Similar to rain, if wind reaches certain severity, the match should just be interrupted.

Sanya
09-09-2012, 03:15 PM
I think it must be deeper. Rain, wind, snow - in the end of the day players make show. If they both are against playing match in special conditions it shouldn`t be done. As simple as that. Anyway I don`t thing that match played yesterday brought a lot of fun to spectators, maybe exept result for Mandy`s supporters.

Johnny Groove
09-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Absolutely not. You have to deal with conditions.

rocketassist
09-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Yeah. Farting on court equals a point penalty.

Action Jackson
09-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Personally no wind rule should exist. At the same time can see where there are benefits to a wind rule. The question is at what speed on the wind gauge is the one where they stop play.

jcempire
09-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I say no. I think the paying spectators probably prefer to watch wind affected tennis then not watch tennis at all.

:haha:

rinnegan
09-09-2012, 03:22 PM
What's the point of playing outdoors if everyone's too concerned on how the wind would be like?

bobbynorwich
09-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Obviously if the tournament director could suspend play if the wind was dangerous --- but otherwise wind is just an interesting twist to the match. If you may a rule and attach a number to it --- say 15 mph wind, that gets tricky as swirling wind at say lower mph is harder to play than straight line at higher speed.

Johnny Groove
09-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Should we also suspend play if its too cloudy or too sunny?

Tag
09-09-2012, 03:31 PM
no

i want to see them play in hail and snow

the ball would finally be visible against these homoenised courts :o

finishingmove
09-09-2012, 03:35 PM

or if visibility is poor?

http://drop.ndtv.com/albums/SPORTS/wimbledontopfiveupset/1.jpg

Looner
09-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I would say yes if more tournaments had a roof. Since tennis is said to be an outdoor sport, then play in the wind if there's no roof.

GOATsol
09-09-2012, 03:37 PM
nono

finishingmove
09-09-2012, 03:41 PM
If chairs are flying, that's good enough a reason for me to suspend a match.

r2473
09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
We have already homoginized the conditions.

Let's just play all matches indoors and be done with it.

I'd also be in favor of mandatory strapping of the fans to their seats and taping their mouths shut. I'm not sure if I'm in favor of allowing clapping.

It's always been said that wind is the great equalizer. Ferrer would have won in straights if they had played the two semis at the same time yesterday. I've never seen a player fall apart quite like Djjokovic did yesterday. He was pathetic.

The Fearhand
09-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Of course. It would be unfair to say no.

But there should be a rule. It should depend on the wind factor.
It might be fun for the viewers but the players must hate it. Imagine a player playing WITH the wind and another one playing AGAINST it. Tennis is a very technical, precision game and heavy wind factors can bother a lot and make it unplayable for the players.

munZe konZa
09-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Of course, tennis is dependent on too much wind just like sprinting for example. These people just don't care about sports and want to bring it down . I mean if you are amateur then conditions doesn't matter but pros need to bring up their game.

dj_mercury
09-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Yesterday wind conditions were among the worst I can remember since Federer - Agassi in 2004, coincidentally also at the US Open.

Just watch the last 5 minutes of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJiLDK-EBk

Paylu2007
09-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Yesterday wind conditions were among the worst I can remember since Federer - Agassi in 2004, coincidentally also at the US Open.

Just watch the last 5 minutes of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJiLDK-EBk

and they say Roger has no bulge but a cup :rolleyes: :lick:

Mountaindewslave
09-09-2012, 05:07 PM
NOOOOO. you play with how the conditions are unless you can't play. it adds another dimension to the game, the nature of players having to adjust and change their style.

also for a century matches have been played even in extreme winds, so if you changed that now, it would forever ruin and skew comparisons to the past (you'd never know what matches were played in bad conditions and which ones weren't, likely resulting in strange improvement of stats)

LinkMage
09-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Isn't there a rule at the Australian Open to suspend play if it is too hot? :shrug:

Thunder Hoad
09-09-2012, 05:14 PM
NOOOOO. you play with how the conditions are unless you can't play. it adds another dimension to the game, the nature of players having to adjust and change their style.

Curious for your view of the RG final this year when they called it in the 4th because it wasn't unplayable. At least for Nole.

MaxPower
09-09-2012, 05:14 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT05Al5GDnraHZGGcmUzpv-Nn5VXwch4wNlbqR1m1WMh16Hkz0w

Tutu
09-09-2012, 05:39 PM
I can't believe people are even suggesting this. If you can't adapt to the conditions then you don't deserve to win, period. I've seen even windier conditions and dealt with it without complaining once, but this generation of ATP players is filled with spoilt and entitled ATP players who are used to always getting what they want.

Isn't there a rule at the Australian Open to suspend play if it is too hot? :shrug:
That's because playing tennis in extreme heat can be dangerous, you idiot. And even then it's only a ten minute break between sets.

Sophitia36
09-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Maybe there should be a threshold, when the wind is really really strong, when they cannot play... But otherwise I think that's part of playing outdoor tournaments.

I mean, some players don't like the heat, others don't like the rain, others may have sensitive eyes and be half blind when it's too sunny (that would be me if I were a tennis player!), or others might not see well when it's dark...

Dealing with weather conditions is part of any outdoor tournaments, if you don't want that, then play indoors.

swebright
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Heat rule is when the on court temperature is above 140F.?

There shouldn't be a wind rule based on mph. If Fed_Agassi can play with 40 mph, it's a fair game. Unless, things started flying and the match got interrupted too often. There was a tornado warning yesterday and they just had to stop it for safety purposes.

MaxPower
09-09-2012, 06:11 PM
ehm. You know you "play in any conditions supporters" don't have much of an argument when they cancel play for just a few drops of rain. Oh boohoo so slippery and dangerous.

Fact is tennis matches are delayed all the time. What difference would it make to delay for strong wind? (rare occurence in the first place) Strong wind is also dangerous. I mean something could fly in and hit a player. Or they could slip on a racketbag that comes gliding in...

cveks
09-09-2012, 06:39 PM
yes they should have wind rule because if wind is too strong like yesterday , than all fans and people on court are robbed , and cant look good quality match for which they paid for.

One note: Eurosport corespondent on my TV , told tonight that wind in match Djokovic-Ferer was 3 TIMES STRONGER than in Murray-Berdych match.

cveks
09-09-2012, 06:40 PM
ehm. You know you "play in any conditions supporters" don't have much of an argument when they cancel play for just a few drops of rain. Oh boohoo so slippery and dangerous.

Fact is tennis matches are delayed all the time. What difference would it make to delay for strong wind? (rare occurence in the first place) Strong wind is also dangerous. I mean something could fly in and hit a player. Or they could slip on a racketbag that comes gliding in...

Not only its dangerous, it also steals from fans good quality tennis.

Fiberlight1
09-09-2012, 06:58 PM
If it's a tornado or dangerous hurricane winds then sure. Otherwise, if the players and spectators are not in danger, then no.

HKz
09-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Wind is fine, unless it is like ridiculous where towels and trash are flying onto the court and you can't do shit about it. Federer and Agassi played a fantastic match in the wind in the US Open 2004 QF, so it isn't like you can't play bad tennis. One of the great things about tennis is the variance in the elements you deal with, so wind is perfectly fine IMO.

xargon
09-10-2012, 02:39 AM
Cahill said today: Strong wind makes it tough for the better player.

BodyServe
09-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Yes, i wish Berdych-Murray was played on sunday in fair conditions.

Freak3yman84
09-10-2012, 04:05 AM
Personally I think yes. At some point strong wind makes play unsuitable and I am not talking about the safety of players and spectators, I am talking about fair play and the better player progressing.

If you like freak tennis and strange results, then dont introduce a rule. But if you want results to reflect the level of the players, then play should be suspended when it is too windy. Wind makes tennis just as pointless as rain.

I don't like freak tennis, but I do like strange results... So I'm fine with no rule :p It takes skill to adjust to the conditions. And it would only help the top players more, so it's not a good idea imo. Although it produces hideous Tennis, it's still something the players have to deal with.

Topspindoctor
09-10-2012, 04:16 AM
No. Elements make outdoor tennis what it is an expose one dimensional mugs. Berdshit should have stopped mindlessly ballbashing like he normally does and added more spin to his shots.

Pusha T
09-10-2012, 04:34 AM
These weak era clowns can't even play in wind :o

HKz
09-10-2012, 05:51 AM
No. Elements make outdoor tennis what it is an expose one dimensional mugs. Berdshit should have stopped mindlessly ballbashing like he normally does and added more spin to his shots.

What does adding spin to the shots do for fucking wind, lol? Have you even picked up a racket? The true thing you can do in wind, is NOT go for the lines and properly play with or against the wind. Adding more or less spin will really not do much. In fact, adding spin can actually oftentimes float your fucking ball wide/long as it can get carried in the wind longer considering the height many players hit over the net in order to properly make use of the spin they place on the ball. Get a clue.

tripwires
09-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Wind rule? :haha: Let's just make the US Open an indoors slam already.

zcess81
09-10-2012, 09:56 AM
What I want to know is, what is this heat rule they have? Apparently, women are allowed 10 minute break between sets if it's too hot, which is what happened during Sharapova-Azarenka match. There is no such rule in mens tennis.

zcess81
09-10-2012, 09:58 AM
As for the original question regarding the wind rule, I'm all for it. Not because it's tough for the players, like playing in extreme heat for example, but because tennis is simply UNWATCHABLE during extreme winds, like the other day.

zcess81
09-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Also, they cancelled Serana's evening match while Murray-Berdych were still playing. They never cancel mens matches until the last moment, even if the weather forecast isn't good. When was the last time mens match was canceled so far in advance based solely on weather forecast? I can't remember. Usually they make them stick around until late in the evening.

Looner
09-10-2012, 10:09 AM
What I want to know is, what is this heat rule they have? Apparently, women are allowed 10 minute break between sets if it's too hot, which is what happened during Sharapova-Azarenka match. There is no such rule in mens tennis.

What I want to know is how hard is it to use the edit function and not spam the forum. As for your question, the heat rule is for the AO when it gets so hot, the ball start sticking to the court - at around 35-40C, I think.

shmeeko69
09-10-2012, 10:11 AM
The evidence is quite clear that, there should be something put in place, as the courts at Flushing Meadows are exposed to the elements and it has rather spoiled what should always be a great tournament.

Looner
09-10-2012, 10:13 AM
It's NOT the elements. It's the friggin monstrosity that is AA. It's amazingly bad in windy weather.

TigerTim
09-10-2012, 10:17 AM
AA is a poor stadium.

August
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Good question, this should be also about rain. I start about rain, was it correct to start RG final in Sunday's rain, and was is correct to suspend it? Initially I thought they played on Sunday only because of the crowd, otherwise the most important clay match of the year shouldn't be played in conditions that aren't the usual clay conditions. But on the other hand, clay conditions aren't identical either when it doesn't rain, hot weather makes court harder, thus faster and higher-bouncing. So playing on Sunday was OK, another thing is if suspending the match in 4th set was correct, that depends on if it was safe or not to play.

But then to wind. As temperature and wind can affect to conditions, why shouldn't wind? Wind is part of outdoor tennis, you have to cope with it. Still, maybe there should be some rules about when wind is too strong, so that decision about suspending match would be easier and less controversial.

Sophocles
09-10-2012, 02:48 PM
The only grounds for stopping a match are when the players or spectators are in physical danger.

Dougie
09-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Wind is part of outdoor tennis, itīs something you just have to cope with, so there should definitely be no rule about it. If it gets dangerous for spectators or players, then sure. Bbut not just because it makes the game difficult.

Iīm sure itīs frustrating for the spectators to watch a match like Murray-Berdych, where the level of play is horrible because of the wind, but itīs still better than no tennis at all for people who have payed for their tickets, right?. Also, what would be the criteria for stopping a match? Obviously the wind would have to be measured, but would it be enough of a reason if some breeze is over the limit, or would it have to be constantly over it? I know this sounds ridicilous now that we all saw chairs flying on court at the Murray-Berdych match. But you have to look at the bigger picture. I can already see losing players demand an interruption when there is one huge breeze ( " I cannot play, no? Too windy, no? Must stop"). The current generation is already using every possible trick in the book ( towels, injury time-outs, ball bouncing, you name it). Certainly no-one wants to see these guys add the wind-factor to their arsenal.

We already have indoor tennis. Outdoor tennis is about varying conditions, and thatīs the way it should be.

August
09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Certainly no-one wants to see these guys add the wind-factor to their arsenal.

Well, I think a wind rule would be good, otherwise play being suspended because of wind would be controversial. Think about RG final, suspended match feeded conspiracy theories.

ApproachShot
09-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I think it should be left to the discretion of the umpires / tournament officials. Just like adapting to the different surfaces, the ability to adapt to the different atmospheric is part of the versatility that one should have to be able to have if they are to be a great tennis player.

The only situation where I feel it would be justified to abandon the match is in an instance where the health and safety of the players / spectators could be at risk.

Marcoo
09-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Yes, there's a rule with Hot temperature, so why not doing one with wind ? :D

Sophitia36
09-10-2012, 06:00 PM

Djokovic was also terrible at playing in the wind, and I don't really think he can be called a one-dimensional mug :D

But well, obviously, my opinion is not of great objectivity being a Ferrer fan, but I thought that if Ferrer could play as well as he did in the wind, then why should the conditions be considered unplayable?
Sure, you can say, "it's unfair, he's smaller so the wind affects him less." Now, the answer to that would be, most of the time being smaller is a big handicap so when for once it becomes an advantage, well, tough :D
The thing is, Ferrer was actually producing better tennis and making less UEs in the wind than on any other day. It's a mystery but it's true :shrug: