Do commentators at the US Open have too many biases? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do commentators at the US Open have too many biases?

bobbynorwich
09-09-2012, 03:27 PM
http://www.dropshotdispatch.com/2012/09/09/us-open-prominently-showcases-conflicts-of-interest/

This is an interesting article about how the US Open coverage is tainted and skewed by commentators who are hardly unbiased in their reporting. I've often wondered why the mainstream media doesn't address this issue. The problem rests I believe with the networks as they --- not the tournament --- hire the broadcasters, but I think the USTA could put a clause in the contract to limit some of this.

Personally, I get very annoyed when commentators (like Gimelstob) are allowed to call a buddy's match (like Isner, Roddick, Querry) as the reporting is so unbalanced. It's very unfair to other players and to their fans who don't want to listen to a lovefest for their fav's opponent.

And the American commentators on Tennis Channel, CBS and ESPN are almost always biased toward American players, perhaps forgetting that their audience either isn't all American or American fans often prefer a player of a different nationality. The nauseating amount of over-hyping a-hole Roddick and his retirement is an example of this jingoism.

Really wish the networks would show more professionalism and that the media would give this problem more attention.

:(

selyoink
09-09-2012, 03:38 PM
American commentators are always very biased during matches involving Americans.

bobbynorwich
09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
American commentators are always very biased during matches involving Americans.

Yeah, that's part of the problem, but they can keep biases to themselves and try to call the match more fairly. Other part is not scheduling someone with a close connection to the player to call his match. It's just so unprofessional the way the networks handle this.

PiggyGotRoasted
09-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Not to mention - we get american commentators here in the uk who are often biased towards american players the same as they are broadcasting in america which is so stupid. We dont want american commentators, especially if they are going to do that.

Knotty Fort
09-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I cannot stand the US based streams. I literally hunt for a eurosport stream until I find one. The american commentators are uber annoying.

martinatreue
09-09-2012, 05:33 PM
John McEnroe seems to be have become a real gloryhunter when it comes to deciding who his faves are.

hipolymer
09-09-2012, 05:39 PM
That article makes no sense. So they're biased against Young, who is an American, and that's a bad thing?

Mountaindewslave
09-09-2012, 05:57 PM
who cares, I've watched probably more matches than you from US Open or tennischannel streams and I can tell you one thing: they may prefer or get more excited about certain players, but they always give credit where credit is due when the other player is doing well. trust me when and /if/ Donald Young hit an incredible shot they don't ignore it, and they certainly don't refuse to present some constructive criticism. article is pointless, every commentator will have some bias in some regard, if anything it is nice that they hire people with a lot of experience who can give some insight.

do also understand that there are only so many good selections for tennis commentators; you can't just invite some club player to be one. they want people who have experience and a deep understanding of the game, and these channels for the most part are relaying the tennis for AMERICANS so obviously they would have former AMERICAN tennis coaches/players/analysts. It just is what it is. is the same way in other countries, if you watch Wimbledon or Australian Open and happen to catch some of the British or Aussie commentators that Eurosport might use they get overly excited about their individual countries prospects