Cap`s episode (Murray - Berdych. *2-1, 30-40) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Cap`s episode (Murray - Berdych. *2-1, 30-40)

Sanya
09-08-2012, 07:10 PM
It doesn`t matter, IMO, how this match will be finished, but a lot of attention will be concentrated on this point. On break-point Andy made drop-shot, in a second his cap fell. Simulteneously Tomas tried to get to this ball, didn`t succeed, but immediately came to main referee with statement that point should be re-played. Then players began discussing this episode between them, I heard only how Murray told to Berdych something like "Are you sure you will get to this ball and play it without cap falling" and got Berdych`s consent. A point was re-played, Berdych took it and equalized the score.

As I know according to rules Berdych was right - it was obvious hindrance. And it isn`t even important whether he got to this ball or not in casual situation.

But maybe any thoughts Murray to be stolen here?

Fiberlight1
09-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Doesn't matter. Berdych won the replayed point.

orangehat
:facepalm: Nothing to discuss about this point.

Cap down clearly before the ball bounced twice, maybe even before the ball bounced at all.

caisenma
I wouldve been right pissed if I were Murray. Was a great shot and even if Berdych did get it, Murray would have likely been in a winning position to put it away

caisenma
09-08-2012, 07:22 PM
:facepalm: Nothing to discuss about this point.

Cap down clearly before the ball bounced twice, maybe even before the ball bounced at all.

Nothing to discuss? Then why are you replying? This is a message board about tennis. As a result things in regards to tennis are discussed.

Now for the smiley to close off the statement as you just did. ... :facepalm:

motorhead
09-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Umpire wanted to give Murray the point; it's Andy who, after asking that question to Berdych, decided to replay it. Good sportsmanship, something Nadal would never do.

156mphserve
09-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Doesn't matter. Berdych won the replayed point.

But Andy would have won te point the cap didn't fall(assuming Berdych wouldn't have got the dropshot). It wouldn't have mattered had Murray won the point anyway, but since Berdych did and broke back it does.

The right call was made, sucks for Murray sure, he probably would have won the point but it's his cap, and his job to keep it on his head, he didn't and by rule it should and was replyed

caisenma
09-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Umpire wanted to give Murray the point; it's Andy who, after asking that question to Berdych, decided to replay it. Good sportsmanship, something Nadal would never do.

That was good sportsmanship indeed.

philosophicalarf
09-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Terrible umpiring. Murray shouldn't have to rely on the word of his opponent whether it was a hindrance, the umpire should make the call beforehand.

August
09-08-2012, 08:17 PM
I think thre should be no rule stating one must not drop clothing when playing a point, there should only be a rule that you must not disrupt your opponent, and the umpire should have the balls to intervene on disrupting.

But the rules are what they are and they went within the rules so it was OK.

Looner
09-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Balls at Wimbledon, caps at the USO, this Lendl is an inventive fellow.