Fastest and slowest starters in the game [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fastest and slowest starters in the game

HKz
09-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Obviously the beginning of the match certainly dictates much of how the match ends up being played, so who in your opinon are the fastest and slowest starters in today's game? (or of all time?)

Rafa in general has always seemed to be a slow starter especially on non-clay surfaces, whereas someone like Federer seems to normally get off to a great start. Del Potro seems to be a rather slow starter, as he appears to always lose first sets pretty easily against a lot of the top guys. Murray feels like he is a pretty good starter however.

Satasonic
09-08-2012, 04:00 PM
I wouldnt say that Federer is a fast starter, not at all. He usually plays ridiculously bad in the first games of the first matches, he can get to 4-4 with players such as Young or Phau and not get a single break point. Nadal is a slow starter, too. Djokovic isnt too fast either, getting broken by Lorenzi in the first game is humiliating. Dolgopolov is a terrible starter as well. Wouldnt call Murray too fast, either.

Fast starters are usually the guys who serve well. People like Raonic, Berdych, Tsonga tend to start well and not get broken in the beginning.

Mark Lenders
09-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Nadal a slow starter? I've lost count of how many times he breaks his opponent in the very first game, don't think anyone does it as often as Rafa.

Satasonic
09-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Nadal a slow starter? I've lost count of how many times he breaks his opponent in the very first game, don't think anyone does it as often as Rafa.

Thats definitely true, but he very often loses the very next game, despite being one of the mentally stronger players on tour. How many times have we seen Nadal come back from 2 sets down in the slams? More than Federer, I think.

HKz
09-08-2012, 04:09 PM
I wouldnt say that Federer is a fast starter, not at all. He usually plays ridiculously bad in the first games of the first matches, he can get to 4-4 with players such as Young or Phau and not get a single break point. Nadal is a slow starter, too. Djokovic isnt too fast either, getting broken by Lorenzi in the first game is humiliating. Dolgopolov is a terrible starter as well. Wouldnt call Murray too fast, either.

Fast starters are usually the guys who serve well. People like Raonic, Berdych, Tsonga tend to start well and not get broken in the beginning.

Maybe now for some matches, but Federer especially in his prime was/is generally a fast starter, I mean he has a well enough serve.. Berdych has a rather inconsistent/bad serve, not sure what you're thinking. Hell, when Federer plays Rafa too even these days, he normally comes out of the gates running.

Sure against lower ranked opponents perhaps, but I've seen plenty of times over the years especially at the later stages of events where Rafa is just a slow starter. The finals of French Open 2006, Wimbledon 2006, Wimbledon 2007 are a few examples. Plenty of other times he has played Federer like at this year's Australian Open and Indian Wells, he starts out pretty slow. Obviously it also has something do with Rafa's opponent, but IMO he is more a slow starter than a fast one.

GSMnadal
09-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Thats definitely true, but he very often loses the very next game, despite being one of the mentally stronger players on tour. How many times have we seen Nadal come back from 2 sets down in the slams? More than Federer, I think.

Don't think so, Roger has quite a few of them. Don't really remember Nadal coming back from 2-0 down lately. Remember one against Youzhny, but that's about it for Rafa I think.

Nadal usually wins one of the first two sets or loses in 3.

HKz
09-08-2012, 04:13 PM

I'm pretty sure Federer has had much more comebacks from 2 sets to love down than Rafa. Roger has had like 8? while Rafa has had only 3 I believe. Regardless, that doesn't mean much for this thread considering it isn't like Federer is necessarily getting blown off the court while losing the first set (like agianst Haas FO 2007) neither is that stat necessarily proving Rafa is blowing players off the court in the first set either.

GSMnadal
09-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Sure against lower ranked opponents perhaps, but I've seen plenty of times over the years especially at the later stages of events where Rafa is just a slow starter. The finals of French Open 2006, Wimbledon 2006, Wimbledon 2007 are a few examples. Plenty of other times he has played Federer like at this year's Australian Open and Indian Wells, he starts out pretty slow. Obviously it also has something do with Rafa's opponent, but IMO he is more a slow starter than a fast one.

It's very difficult to judge, because there are so many different occassions. Look at Rafa at the French Open final this year, absolutely destroying Djokovic with incredible tennis. Same goes for the AO 2012 final, he was great from the start.

We need numbers to really know what's true, because now we're judging on feelings and a handful of matches that we happen to remember. Where are the stat people? :)

I do have a feeling Federer is maybe the fastest starter in the game, but that Nadal is up there as well. But I'm happy for the statisticians to prove me wrong

LastRocket
09-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Federer was one of the fastest starter ever. Then Nadal on clay, his opponents are just looking at their watches. Slow starter, tsonga and delpotro..........

Johnny Groove
09-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Delpo is a slow starter, no doubt, Rafa the same.

Fed, in his prime at least, usually will get out to a fast start, and then slog it up in the 2nd.

HKz
09-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Don't think so, Roger has quite a few of them. Don't remember Nadal coming back from 2-0 down. Remember one against Youzhny, but that's about it for Rafa I think.

Nadal usually wins one of the first two sets or loses in 3.

Youzhny Wimbledon 2007
Kendrick Wimbledon 2006

are the two off the top of my head

Interestingly I came across these best of 5 set stats which are updated through the end of June

Since FO 2005:

Federer has been down 2 sets to love 10 times
-won 4 of those matches
-lost 1 in 5 sets
-lost 1 in 4 sets
-lost 4 in straight sets

Nadal has been down 2 sets of love 10 times
-won 2 of those matches
-lost 4 in 4 sets
-lost 4 in straight sets

not exactly showing who is a better starter, but cheers

Henry Chinaski
09-08-2012, 04:23 PM
seppi must be the slowest starter in tennis, followed by wawrinka

finishingmove
09-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Dolgopolov on the slowest list, definitely.

Action Jackson
09-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Slow Start Seppi.

TBkeeper
09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Davydenko altough loving rhythm is (90%) of the matches a fast starter !

emotion
09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Seems to me top players tend to be slow starters: I'd say Fed is average, Djoko slow, Murray slow, Nadal average, Ferrer slow

Tag
09-08-2012, 05:36 PM
slow starter: berdych

fast starter: berdych versus federer :o

HKz
09-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Davydenko altough loving rhythm is (90%) of the matches a fast starter !

Yes I've noticed that also for the most part.