Strong season finish in relation to keeping the #1 ranking [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Strong season finish in relation to keeping the #1 ranking

finishingmove
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
The key to maintaining the #1 ranking is a strong finish to the season.

Of course, in theory, if you want to keep your ranking consistent, then you need consistent performances throughout the whole year, but the season finale is especially important because it carries quite an amount of points and the WTF is also important for establishing yourself among your rivals and sending them a clear message for the next season.

Bottom line: you don't have to be at your best the whole year, but don't slack in the last two months of the season. There's quite a bit of points to grab here and it will surely be your leverage next year, even if someone is outperforming you a bit.

gaitare
09-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Of course, in theory, if you want to keep your ranking consistent, then you need consistent performances throughout the whole year, but the season finale is especially important because it carries quite an amount of points and the WTF is also important for establishing yourself among your rivals and sending them a clear message for the next season.

Bottom line: you don't have to be at your best the whole year, but don't slack in the last two months of the season. There's quite a bit of points to grab here and it will surely be your leverage next year, even if someone is outperforming you a bit.

I don't thnik so. The top players are so established that they don't really need to reestablish themselves at that particular tournament. Nadal sends a clear message for next year around French Open/Wimbledon.

The Prince
09-08-2012, 12:54 PM
It's generally because people go missing at the end of the season. There's still potentially 5000 points to be grabbed even after the US Open, and generally a top player doesn't finish the season well, so this can absolutely make the difference.

finishingmove
09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't thnik so. The top players are so established that they don't really need to reestablish themselves at that particular tournament. Nadal sends a clear message for next year around French Open/Wimbledon.

Arguable, but the points factor is real.

GSMnadal
09-08-2012, 12:59 PM
'The final part of the season is not about the points, it's about the Shanghai title' - Andy Murray

finishingmove
09-08-2012, 01:03 PM
'The final part of the season is not about the points, it's about the Shanghai title' - Andy Murray

It's about vulturing for the long winter, and the season ahead.

Thunder Hoad
09-08-2012, 01:15 PM

It's about prioritizing and min-maxing. A Nadal will maximize his points total during clay season so from that view he should absolutely play every clay tournament in that 7 week stretch. A Federer with his indooriness does the same with the year end schedule and capitalizes on all the worn out competition. And since the WTF has disproportionately large amount of points he's been able to hang around the top 3. But Djokovic is in such a rich vein of form slams-wise that he shouldn't need to min-max like the other players. Two slams plus his masters results should be good enough for #1. He was on fumes last year-end and still finished ahead by so many points and a three-slam/two-slam season is enough of a message.

Johnny Groove
09-08-2012, 01:44 PM
If Djoker wins the USO, he's basically got the #1.

Unless Federer vultures the fall season like no tomorrow and Djokovic falls off the map.

manadrainer
09-08-2012, 01:48 PM
If Djoker wins the USO, he's basically got the #1.

Unless Federer vultures the fall season like no tomorrow and Djokovic falls off the map.

Pretty much this, although I wouldn't call Fed's superior indoor skills "vulturing". It would be like saying Nadal is vulturing clay season every year. Nonsense.

finishingmove
09-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Pretty much this, although I wouldn't call Fed's superior indoor skills "vulturing". It would be like saying Nadal is vulturing clay season every year. Nonsense.

But he is.

LOL

n8
09-08-2012, 02:03 PM
There is no doubt that Federer's 2011 end of season got him in the #1 discussion this year. I even said to my tennis friends, as soon as the WTF semi-finals, that I was worried Federer was headed back to number one (I wanted Sampras to keep that record). They all laughed it off.

But I see it more in lower ranked players. Someone will have a few good tournaments against mainly tired opposition then sit on a decent rank for most of the next year.

TigerTim
09-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Why do people even bother on the Asian Swing? Murray crushes all :shrug:

Tag
09-08-2012, 06:26 PM
murray takes inspiration from ferrer and monaco and relentlessly abuses the asian swing, all the while wishing for a takeaway

nadal plays asian swing for the money. get the impression djokovic would rather skip, but doesn't he have a sponsor commitments?

federer is smart and doesn't bother

Paris/Year End Championship is the real end of the season

and personally, i loved it when, during the 90s and the slams were split 4 ways, the Year End Championship actually decided who was the no 1