Forgotten/old hat board/"activity" games thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Forgotten/old hat board/"activity" games thread

JoeyWinson
09-30-2002, 02:56 AM
Big respect to..

Kerplunk (Some marbles, a thousand potentially dangerous cocktail sticks and a Volumatic, genius).
Screwball Scramble (thoroughly annoying when batteries began to run out)
Mouse Trap (after it took you seven hours to set it up)
Twister (now only played at parties to give letching drunk males a chance to feel up women and peer down the big chested lass' cleavage)
Mastermind
Buckaroo
Pop Up Pirate
Guess Who! (It's Maria!... thats what it said on the box)
Operation ("you're the doctor, it's so much fun to play"... electric shocks to me are not fun)
Battleships

Hurley
09-30-2002, 03:22 AM
Do not forget Hungry Hungry Hippo.

One drunken night a few years ago, my friend and I played Guess Who? for hours at a friend's house, but it got quite boring. (No! I know) So while she was passed out we took one of her yearbooks and cut out pictures of people we went to high school with and pasted them on the board.

"Did I wank off to her?"
"Yes."
"Are her breasts gigantic?"
"Yes."
"Did I spill soda on her once?"
"Yes."
"Is it Ali Morrison?"
"Yes, bastard!"

SO fun!

Chloe le Bopper
09-30-2002, 03:34 AM
What about that game with monkeys in a barrel?

Allie
09-30-2002, 04:08 AM
Hungry Hungry Hippo was fun :D

Clue is cool :p

Princess Fiona
09-30-2002, 09:13 AM
Hungry Hippo was fantastic! :D Though agony on the hands in the quest to win... *grimace* ;)

I also remember Guess Who? and the Game of Life (a big fave of mine "back in the day"!). There are many more, I'm sure... yes, The Neighbours Game! :D

SOMEONE is about to embark on memory lane... :rolleyes: ;)

Julie
09-30-2002, 10:11 AM
ooooo - all these games - i still have some of these at my moms house in my little history box lol, sooo good - such memories :D:D

Mouse trap was an absolute nightmare to set up you know and i love the kerplunk analogy, maybe i can make my own version with my volumatic lol ;)

:wavey:

JoeyWinson
09-30-2002, 12:42 PM
Well... I tried to make my own version with a volumatic, but it's very difficult to bore tiny holes into the plastic.

Bizzy Buzzy Bumbles was a weird game, involved you putting a bee headset on and basically you had to nod your head to pick up the things (were they little flowers or something?) using a magnetic dangly thing that came off the headset. Thoroughly annoying.

Hungry Hippos was a complete nightmare on the hands, but there was no skill involved!

Wasn't Kerplunk banned? I just wonder how many over-exciteable kids blinded their opponents after losing in a fit of rage.

Many soaps had spin-off games, of course The Neighbours Game was the best, there was also Coronation Street, Eastenders (which should be remade as the least jovial board game in history, or maybe a villains edition where you can play as Nick Cotton "You've just nicked £50 from Dot's purse, move forward three spaces!"). I don't think there is an Emmerdale one as yet, but games based on Family Affairs, Shortland Street (or was that Operation?), and Night and Day are supposedly rumoured to be in the pipeline.

I seem to remember (from the old primary school days when rainy breaktimes meant it was time to get out the battered old board games and comic books from 1976. (and not forgetting the Daktari and Knightrider Annuals) some sort of tennis based game called Wimbledon, which had no tennis related questions in it whatsoever.

Daniel
09-30-2002, 01:32 PM
:D :D :D

harry_potter
09-30-2002, 02:15 PM
;)

Daniel
09-30-2002, 02:19 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Princess Fiona
09-30-2002, 02:25 PM
I look forward to seeing some of these soap spin off games at Christmas, Joey... ;) :)

I can remember playing the Snoopy Tennis handset game but that was a looooong time ago. :o This was before Nintendo/Internet, of course...

I always used to want one of the toy ice-cream making machines for Christmas when I was (lots!) younger...

Shut UP, meeee!!! :eek: ;)

Daniel
09-30-2002, 02:28 PM
:(

JoeyWinson
09-30-2002, 05:12 PM
Yes! Mr Frosty! I still crave one of those, I dunno if you can still get them, but i remember gazing at the illustration in the Argos catalougue as an easily impressionable seven year old around Christmas, asking my nan for one, who replied "you don't want any of that rubbish". Yes I did! All I got was a bloody Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles LCD game (which at the time, was bloody brilliant).

I always wanted a Soda Stream too, wading off the topic here now... I never found out if you could make fizzy milk.

Back to board games, one thing that annoyed me was the boxes (and still does annoy me). Pictures of over-exuberant gormless looking kids playing "Whack Attack", like it was the highest echelon of pleasure in their young lives(well, Whack Attack was good, although a similar massive arcade version called "Sweet Licks" made by Namco was just the most addictive bloody thing ever, If I had the dough I'd buy one). Mastermind with that vietnamese lady on the box, and that famous facial expression on the Guess Who box... it looks as though he's just been given a cattle prod up the arse, but no, he is really saying "I know, It's Maria!"

harry_potter
10-01-2002, 12:48 AM
:D

Princess Fiona
10-01-2002, 04:32 PM
I think you can still get Mr Frosty, Joey... I'm sure I saw one just the other day! :) Maybe there's hope yet... *cough* ;)

We had a Soda Stream too but abandoned it after a while... it was just too "fiddly" and inconvenient to use!

All these board games... technology has a LOT to answer for... *sigh* ;)

JoeyWinson
10-01-2002, 07:38 PM
yes, but could you make fizzy milk?

Princess Fiona
10-02-2002, 03:52 PM
No, I couldn't (and WHY would I want to? Ugh! ;))