Olympics Mixed F: Mirnyi/Azarenka def. Murray/Robson 2-6 6-3 10-8(Champs' TB) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Olympics Mixed F: Mirnyi/Azarenka def. Murray/Robson 2-6 6-3 10-8(Champs' TB)

Lopez
08-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Go Belarus and Mirnyi :yeah:

Wanted a medal for the beast, such a great and classy player.

Match was tight but Robson's serve was always the weakness for the GB team in all their matches and she hit 2 doubles in the champions' tiebreak. Azarenka hit the winning shot at the net from Murray's return :worship:. The match clearly meant a lot for her IMO, she was so happy after winning the semis and today as well :yeah:

Vamos_Me_Rafa
08-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Thank God Mugray doesn't fluke 2 gold medals.

Way to go Max & Vika!! :yeah:

Björki
08-05-2012, 07:02 PM
yeah for Max :D :yeah:

potato
08-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Congrats to team BLR! Funny to see Vika carrying the team but Max was understandably nervous.

Great tournament for all 4 players.

Henry Chinaski
08-05-2012, 07:31 PM
would have been a disgrace if laura robson ended up with a gold

Corey Feldman
08-05-2012, 07:37 PM
what a load of vomit that popeye Azarenka won

horrible woman, when Mirnyi was missing shots she couldnt hide her disgust

was a miracle Brits made it that far considering Robbo's incredibly erratic play and nerves

Fedexex
08-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Good thing no-ground-game-Robson didn't win.

MuzzahLovah
08-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Good thing no-ground-game-Robson didn't win.
She doesn't have much of a sky game either

Jimnik
08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Can't believe how close they came. Huge credit to both under so much pression. :worship:

At least the British press will have something to morn about tomorrow.

Corey Feldman
08-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Can't believe how close they came. Huge credit to both under so much pression. :worship:

At least the British press will have something to morn about tomorrow.they wont give a rats ass after Murray beat Fed

KarlyM
08-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Well done, Max! :yeah:

Bad Religion
08-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Kudos to the best legs on the WTA Tour :yeah:

cutesteve22
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Robson must be sad but I think she did a great job.
congrats to Belarus.

mreccentric
08-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Close game. But Mirnyi/Azarenka had the Luck. They came to Finals winning all in close games. Kudos to team Andy Murray for the way he played, though he's not a full time XD/MD player.

Somewhere, i get the feeling that Mirnyi undeserved that Gold.

Shirogane
08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Next time she hears "Me!" from Andy, I hope she obeys.

Happy for Max though.

MaxPower
08-06-2012, 11:22 PM
I approve any winner named Max and especially Max Mirnyi that has such a good doubles career (especially with swedish legend Björkman) but I must say mixed doubles is sort of a travesty.

Sometimes feels like "which team will abuse the WTA player the most to win". When Mirnyi sent a bullet on Robson it was usually game over. He probably felt ashamed sometimes.

It's the same reason Serena steamrolled the women's singles. Most WTA players can't handle the power and Serena is more like a male player in terms of serve and groundstroke power.

In mixed doubles it's "Serenas" everywhere for the female players. That's why I have a problem with the format. Also steals a little attention away from the normal doubles which should be regarded much higher than mixed which feels like exhibition tennis.

Shirogane
08-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Not sure I agree with you on the groundstroke power, guess she'd do fine as a mini-servebot on the men's tour but yeah, she damn looked like the mother with her two children on the singles podium. :lol:

CooCooCachoo
08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
would have been a disgrace if laura robson ended up with a gold

True. Robson is a hopeless doubles player. Watson was right to lament Murray's choice of partner.

It's actually a disgrace they won silver. But Andy did play well in the final, so credit to him.

Shirogane
08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I just read the presser in the men's final thread, they said he only lost one point behind his serve. I had no idea :lol: but I do remember the crucial one he lost in the match tie-break – one could probably say he was only one first serve away from winning another gold medal!

Snowwy
08-07-2012, 05:24 PM
True. Robson is a hopeless doubles player. Watson was right to lament Murray's choice of partner.

It's actually a disgrace they won silver. But Andy did play well in the final, so credit to him.

Seems like GB is 2/2 and you are 0/2 with doubles partners. :wavey:

CooCooCachoo
08-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Seems like GB is 2/2 and you are 0/2 with doubles partners. :wavey:

Bitch please, go complain about doubles seedings in ITF events.

There's no telling how well Murray/Watson would have done, but you can't argue with the fact that Heather Watson is a more accomplished doubles player (not an accomplished one either, but certainly more accomplished than Robson). And if you watched the final, you could see that Murray could have won gold with a better partner. He played really well, with an amazing serve and surprisingly impressive net skills. Robson was clearly the weakest link, unable to deal with powerful shots and not holding her own on the baseline nor at the net.

If Murray has better chemistry with Robson and none with Watson, then certainly he was right to pick her. But Robson is a weak doubles player and Murray was head and shoulders above her. As were Azarenka and Mirnyi.

Dmitry Verdasco
08-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Not surprised to see Azarenka/Mirnyi take this, thought it would be easier though. Azarenka has the best return of serve in the WTA at the moment, plays with great width off the ground and has surprisingly good hands - and Mirnyi is Mirnyi.

:bowdown: