Will the Gold victory launch Andy's slam career? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will the Gold victory launch Andy's slam career?

tennis2tennis
08-05-2012, 03:55 PM
what do you guys think...I think it'll lift some pressure of him; he now knows he can beat the likes of Roger and Novak where it matters..

August
08-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Depends on his slam final opponents. I think SW19 is the only place where he can win 50:50 matches, but if he's the better player in paper (hasn't been yet in finals), he can win.

finishingmove
08-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I think it was already launched at Wimbledon.

MuzzahLovah
08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Hope so, but I think actually finishingmove is right-Wimbledon and even Australia this year seemed to set the stage as well, but this is confirmation.

Slade
08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm 74.36% sure this is the case.

JoWillyTso
08-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Well look at it this way: Murray's main problem many people feel is the pressure of big finals. Today the pressure would have been atleast equal to the pressure he feels in slam finals so in that sense he has overcome a massive step. He will have confidence now and hopefully he can win the US Open. If he was to win the US Open then he could definitely be the man of 2013.

rocketassist
08-05-2012, 04:06 PM
People always talk about the future haha.

I'm just over the moon about the present.

Johnny Groove
08-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Hopefully it will do to him what Davis Cup did for Djokovic at the end of 2010. Murray should win at least 1 slam in the next 5.

Roy Emerson
08-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Yes.

Solid_Snake
08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Nope, he's the male dementieva.

Looner
Tough to say, really. In retrospect it might, just like the doubles gold helped RF win USO 2008. The USO will be intriguing none the less.

Chirag
I hope it does :drool:

More competition good for the game

Mental Giant
08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
lol fed tanked and he will never beat djok or nadal in an important match

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Yeah, he will be dangerous in Usopen and AO...

Whiznot
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Favorites for the US Open in order are Murray, Federer, del Potro, Djokovic and Nadal. Not sure about Nadal though.

ufiors
08-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Yes, i think he will overcomes Novak and Rafa soon...

Paul Banks
08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
If Andy starts winning Slam, it's not going to be because of this tournament. No way there was as much pressure today than during a Slam. There are so many events right now that the focus is not exclusively on Murray, it's not even close to Wimbledon.

And after watching today, it's clear to me that the Olympics are still in an entirely different category than Slams. I would have expected more emotions from Andy after the match; even his mother looked pleased but that's it. Twice McEnroe tried to make him say that his win matters as much as a Slam, and twice Andy avoided the question. Basically it just felt to me like Andy won the year-end Championships. He still has to prove he can handle the pressure.

Shinoj
08-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Fuckin Yes.

tennis2tennis
08-05-2012, 05:13 PM

please tell me you're kidding why would Federer tank a Gold medal in the singles aged 31?

blank_frackis
08-05-2012, 05:20 PM
please tell me you're kidding why would Federer tank a Gold medal in the singles aged 31?

Wouldn't pay much attention to that post - it also says Murray will never beat Nadal in an important match (despite Murray already twice knocking Nadal out of slams).

I don't think this victory will change anything. I think it's more a symptom that he's improved mentally. You saw that at Wimbledon where he finally put in a performance in a final and just lost to the better player on the day. He has a legitimate chance to win the US Open but I still think Federer will win.

chenx15
08-05-2012, 05:23 PM
this murray i like in nadals draw in us open

mooncreek
08-05-2012, 07:06 PM
This year, Andy has began to show he can show up for a big match against the Big 3. The Djokovic match in AO, the Wimbledon final, the Djokovic match in the SFs here and now today. Two of these are wins, two are losses but there's no arguing that his play has been better as the year has gone on. As I write that, just realized there's been no Rafa/Andy matches this year after seeming as if Rafa would always be in the way the last few years.

It will be fascinating to see how he walks into the US Open. I dare say he might be named the favorite (though Toronto and Cincinnati could change that).

Moozza
08-05-2012, 09:50 PM

There is always one. :lol:

Jimnik
08-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Good news is the US Open is coming up. If it were Wimbledon he'd be under too much pressure. I just hope he doesn't exert too much on himself.

Looner
08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
There is always one. :lol:

That guy is a ridiculous hater. Leave him be. Andy did great today even if RF was not at his best. RF said it was largely due to stupid decisions and Murray's aggressive play. I hope to see this same final in the USO with RF the winner :p.

SheepleBuster
08-05-2012, 10:31 PM
He does not have a career. He is a master choker. Give him a break. He won a gold medal that is 60% silver. lol

Aloevera
08-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I think so... but it's not like he's about to open a flood gate. But he will win a slam. I don't know what he feels, but he must be feeling something like Venus in Wimby 2000. Sometimes, you sense it's your destiny to finally win a slam.

fivebargate
08-05-2012, 10:45 PM
People always talk about the future haha.

I'm just over the moon about the present.

....and this is the right answer....enjoy the highlights as they come!!

I voted no in the poll, because I already think he has embarked on the right course of action to finally cross that slam-winning finishing line. I strongly fancy the breakthrough to come in Australia. Conditions there are just perfect for him now he has elevated his own hitting power...I think he will be pretty unstoppable.

Corey Feldman
08-05-2012, 10:48 PM
hope so

he seems more mature now than ever before, Lendl playing a big part in all of this

but you just know the hype and favorite tags are gonna be big for US Open soon, dont like that.

xargon
08-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Favorites for the US Open in order are Murray, Federer, del Potro, Djokovic and Nadal. Not sure about Nadal though.

Murray has been the fave in GS for the last four years already.

Looner
08-05-2012, 11:00 PM
I reckon he can handle the hype. He's shown he can do it and he was only really missing a very good performance in a final which he has also already recorded.

It's now up to him to play his game and play it properly. He has a chance. Certainly against Djokovic and Nadal. I hope Roger stops him but if that fails, I hope Muzzah takes the USO.

Johnbert
08-05-2012, 11:00 PM

fed didn't tank. and uso semi 2008 wasn't important? olympics this year wasn't important? :scratch: