From Silverer to Golderer - Roger Going for the Golden Swansong in Rio [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

From Silverer to Golderer - Roger Going for the Golden Swansong in Rio

Looner
08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
This is a thread which I hope I can keep updating throughout the next four years where I'll try to keep track of Roger's pursuit of this elusive Olympic singles gold.

He has stated he'd like to play to Rio and he seems to have commitments at least until 2014. He is also eager for his daughters to recognise their dad when he plays his amazing game on a tennis court, so I am hoping he sticks around for Rio.

No decision has been made for the surface in Rio, so some hope remains it'll be on hard. Belucci is quite good on hard, so hopefully it'll medium-fast hard.

Go, Roger, get that gold in your 5th Olympics :worship:.

Deathless Mortal
08-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Would be great to see it happening but he'll be 35. :awww:

shiaben
08-05-2012, 03:51 PM
It won't happen lol. I'm a Federer fan but at age 34-35 with possible injuries kicking in, fatigue, stamina/endurance dropping, it is very difficult to imagine and fathom. It just doesn't seem realistic. But I do admire and respect his competitive nature to throw in his two cents for some chance. Good luck Federer :)

henke007
08-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Couldn't care less really about Gold. Wimbledon 2012 was Gold for me. A medal is just fine and now he has it!

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 03:52 PM
If it is on hardcourt and against Harrisons and Tomics of the next generation, an Agassi 2005-like run is possible for a player like Federer.

Looner
08-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Couldn't care less really about Gold. Wimbledon 2012 was Gold for me. A medal is just fine and now he has it!

Well, I did care but obviously Wimbledon was on another level for me as well. It means a lot for the oldie though and he is currently (may well end up being (CORRECTION: they have a gold already)) Suisse's only medalist. What a man!

Chirag
08-05-2012, 03:54 PM
happy Murray did not play like this 4 weeks ago

I am happy with that wimbledon title :p its ok if he doesnt get the gold since he already has one in doubles

castle007
08-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Well, I did care but obviously Wimbledon was on another level for me as well. It means a lot for the oldie though and he is currently (may well end up being) Suisse's only medalist. What a man!

Not true. They already have a gold in Triathlon.

sexybeast
I must say I kind of enjoy every player in history to have that thing he didnt achieve, Federer could have singles olympic gold. Still, if he wins Rio 2016 it would be one of those moments made in hollywood which would be nice.

Murray winning olympics was very enjoyable, he deserve it more than anyone else. I belive Murray is the unluckiest player in the open era and his talent is almost limitless, I couldnt stand watching a player like Andy be mocked by those brittish tabloids again.

abraxas21
too old

plus, couldn't do it in his fave surface. rio will be on clay.

BroTree123
08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
He can probably do it at 35. That's if Rio is not played on clay :lol:

But you never know, if Nadal's not there again...

hadouken!
08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
He might be too old. He really wanted an Olympic Gold in singles :sad:

rinnegan
08-05-2012, 03:57 PM
It won't be played on indoor grass. He doesn't stand a chance.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
He can probably do it at 35. That's if Rio is not played on clay :lol:

But you never know, if Nadal's not there again...

why
he's great on clay
nadal will be out of the top 10 by then i think

Johnny Groove
Hey, anything is possible.

Looner
08-05-2012, 03:59 PM
It's satisfying for me to see everyone who's posted in this thread believe Fed will surely be there for Rio 2016. I sure hope he is. Agassi got to the USO final at 35 playing 5-setters, so I'm sure the old man can try to pick himself up for this tournament.

If it's clay, we'll have to hope Nadal is not there.

Not true. They already have a gold in Triathlon.
Thanks for the info. Will edit my 1st post.

BroTree123
08-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Roger's game can probably make him last until 50 y-o IMO. As long as he's there, he has a chance at anything (except RG probably).

He's just gotta try to avoid some epics along the way.

tripwires
08-05-2012, 04:00 PM
He will win gold in Rio. :rocker2:

Great thread, Looner. :hearts:

finishingmove
08-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I must say I kind of enjoy every player in history to have that thing he didnt achieve, Federer could have singles olympic gold. Still, if he wins Rio 2016 it would be one of those moments made in hollywood which would be nice.

Murray winning olympics was very enjoyable, he deserve it more than anyone else. I belive Murray is the unluckiest player in the open era and his talent is almost limitless, I couldnt stand watching a player like Andy be mocked by those brittish tabloids again.

Like the ending of "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Mystique
08-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Rio 2016, Roger wins Bronze in Mixed dbls w/ Hingis :p

Seriously, I doubt Roger plays through Rio. I am sure he WANTS to, but I cant see him being competitive at that age. Even Feds, yep.
I would love to be proven wrong of course...

Anyway, he has won a Gold and Silver in the 4 olympics he has participated in. What more can you really ask of a man carrying a nation on his shoulder?
Personally, I am glad this didnt happen 4 weeks ago. I will take Wimbledon over Gold in Olympics anyday. And I think Fed would have accepted this deal too, as much as he wants Gold in Singles.

guga2120
08-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Rio on clay. He can start talking about it now. He has been talking about this for years, and then gets blown off the court in the final. If Rafa knees have not blown up by then, maybe they will play. I am sure it would be a great match. :lol:

Burrow
08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
happy Murray did not play like this 4 weeks ago

I am happy with that wimbledon title :p its ok if he doesnt get the gold since he already has one in doubles

He did play like this, even better. Federer was simply on another level at Wimbledon from the level he was playing at today.

Can't believe that members of a tennis forum can't analyse the game.

Murray was leaking errors today when he was put under pressure, but Federer was too dire to do almost anything today. He hasn't played great the whole tournament.

Looner
08-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Fed did say Wimbledon and Olympics was almost equal for him. He also acknowledged in his post-match interview with Sue Barker that he made TOO big of a deal out of this tournament himself and put too much pressure on himself to win. Interesting to hear him say that.

hipolymer
08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Maybe in mixed doubles

Chirag
08-05-2012, 04:11 PM
He did play like this, even better. Federer was simply on another level at Wimbledon from the level he was playing at today.

Can't believe that members of a tennis forum can't analyse the game.

Murray was leaking errors today when he was put under pressure, but Federer was too dire to do almost anything today. He hasn't played great the whole tournament.

:spit:

His forehand was deadly today and he went for it .Federer's service was a bit poor and he maybe was a bit flat from that long semi .At 31 its tough to recover from matches like these

AntiTennis
08-05-2012, 04:12 PM
He will tank Wimbledon 2016, then play the Olympics very rested, win the gold and retire like a boss :rocker2:

mystic ice cube
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
It would probably be one of his greatest ever achievements getting a bronze, let alone a gold.

Federer in 2
08-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Clay or HC?

abraxas21
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
He will tank Wimbledon 2016, then play the Olympics very rested, win the gold and retire like a boss :rocker2:

federer would never tank wimbledon.

ufiors
08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Rog will retire in 2013. I'm sure of that. :(

IOFH
08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I thought it wasn't yet certain if it was clay or HC.

Anyway I think (and definitely hope) he will be playing then but don't think he'll get the gold, doubt even a medal. Not that it matter with a doubles gold and singles silver anyway. It will come down to specific form at that point and luck as well with BO3 so it's completely impossible to say with any certainty what result will be likely.

nastoff
08-05-2012, 04:29 PM
make the Olympics a yearly or two-yearly event and Rogi might just do it....if they don't play on clay, that is.

Aloevera
08-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I just remembered it's indeed possible for him to participate in Rio, but not for the sake of chasing singles gold. It's more realistic to go for golds in both mens/mixed doubles events only.

Hopefully, with Hingis... :(

Snowwy
08-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I do hope Roger can get the gold in 2016.

Pratik
08-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Rio Olympics BMM: R. Federer beats K. Nishikori 6-4 3-6 7-6 (Deciding set tie break will be introduced by then)
To complete the set.
Oh ya, and Federer and Allegro win doubles Gold. :rocker2:
So, he retires with 2G 1S 1B. Not bad.

:bolt:

EDIT: In case it was not clear, Allegro comes out of retirement

Burrow
08-05-2012, 06:00 PM
:spit:

His forehand was deadly today and he went for it .Federer's service was a bit poor and he maybe was a bit flat from that long semi .At 31 its tough to recover from matches like these

If his forehand was "deadly" today, he wouldn't have hit only 8 forehand winners in the entire match against a man whose predominant weakness in recent years has been his movement towards his forehand side, aside from today when Federer's movement was far weaker than normal. Federer was also hitting very weak approach shots where he was barely passed the service line to the Murray forehand.

Federer recorded 31 unforced errors according to the statistician today, though I believe there are more. It's just his considerably weaker movement today made some of Murray's shots look better than they actually were. I have never seen Federer's agility so weak, he couldn't get back into the middle of the court after being pushed out wide and his attempt (and decision) at running around the backhand was abysmal today for two reasons. 1. Because he simply didn't possess the foot speed today and 2. Because when he did run around it, he was well out of position and he knew in his own mind today that he was flat physically and had to hit almost an outright winner, which disabled him from playing freely and actually even making the court.

Nevermind those dismal backhand slice returns that floated and sat up for Murray to pound.

Then there's the usual lack of break point chances converted, which were caused by an accumulation of these factors.

It's an understatement to say Federer was a "bit flat" today. A "bit flat" 7 time Wimbledon champion does not get crucified by the man he beat in 4 sets only a month ago on this court and in doing so receives one of his biggest beatdowns of all time.

I am not discrediting Murray, he did what he had to do and he was gracious in victory, but let's not kid ourselves.

Mystique
08-05-2012, 06:05 PM
"It almost feels like a gold medal for me, even though it's just silver. But that's enough for me"

Rio 2016 - not looking so bright IMO.

MaxPower
08-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Sorry this was his chance. 4 years is a long time. Tennis has become more physical. You can already tell Federer got problems getting around to his forehand as often as only 2-3 years ago and he often gets pinned down in baseline rallies.

Only his supreme serve and talent still allows him to win tournaments (and even slams). But in 2016 he will have lost even more in the baseline rallies.

Players with a strong baseline game will control Federer more than he can control them. Then he might be forced to hang up the racket so when the twins start to remember things they see the old vids of a god of tennis instead of the shade of his former self he will be in 2016

Poirot123
08-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Can Federer win gold singles in Rio in 2016? Unlikely, but it could happen of course. It depends on what level he's playing in 2016, and the level of his competitors. To stay at the top for another 4 years would take a huge sacrifice on his part, and can he bothered? Mens tennis is too competitive. There's no way a half retired Federer could just come out of semi-retirement and win a slam like Serena Williams or Kim Cliesters can in womans' tennnis. So he's going to have to maintain his level for four years - a huge ask.

What about the rivals? The younger generation at the moment look no where near as good as Federer currently is. Murray and Djokovic will almost certainly still be around. Ditto Del Potro. Nadal will probably be finished though.

Verdict: If Fed wants it, he could do it. If he's half hearted, he won't get close.

MuzzahLovah
08-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Rio will be in clay right?

MuzzahLovah
08-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I just remembered it's indeed possible for him to participate in Rio, but not for the sake of chasing singles gold. It's more realistic to go for golds in both mens/mixed doubles events only.

Hopefully, with Hingis... :(

She is not that old right? They could slay in mixed, muurray almost got gold with Robeson!

AntiTennis
08-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Some quotes he said today about this:

"It's not impossible that I could take part in Rio. But right now, I mean, in the meantime I could retire and come back. It's that long of a break," he said, smiling.

"It's not front and centre in my mind. But, of course, I'd love an Olympic gold in singles. But I am very happy with an Olympic silver in singles ... Obviously, I'd love to be part of it. We'll see how it goes."

Roamed
08-05-2012, 07:41 PM
He's speculating about coming out of retirement to play it......... :sad:

latso
08-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Roger has better chances getting 4 more Slams than getting an OG gold, at least in singles.

At 35 he'd be embarassing himself if he tries to pay in Brazil.

But what he's achieved thus far is beyond incredible, so from no on nothing matters anymore for him, tittles or no tittles

Chair Umpire
08-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Is this thread for real? :lol: Roger's chances for the Golden Slam vanished today folks.

He played on his beloved Wimbledon's grass, against a guy he already beat just a couple of weeks ago, everything was on his side and he still failed miserably.

Now, in Rio 2016 they will play on clay most likely and Roger will be too old to have real chances.

Sanya
08-05-2012, 08:02 PM
If anyone in 30+ would be able to win tournament where all best players`ll participate, it`s Federer. But his chance is slim.
Simulteneously too much stir about this, IMO. Fed won medal, he has already won gold in doubles. You can`t tell that he didn`t say his word in OG. :shrug:

NID
08-05-2012, 08:32 PM
this thread...is it for real?

IOFH
08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
this thread...is it for real?

Nadal retired, Djokovic retired, Murray.. something something, and the new generation being non-existent, Federer vultures his way to a CYGGS in 2016. :shrug:

Looner
08-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Roger has said he is very happy with his silver and he was almost playing with tears in his eyes, he was so happy :).

The haters in this thread can take a hike. This a hate-free zone for those that to talk about the chances of Golderer. Matt & other Serbtards as well as the occasional bitter Spanish person, you're officially on my ignore list so stop trying to talk to me :wavey:.

manadrainer
08-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Fed to beat Nadal in the finals of Rio 2016 on clay in 5 sets 20-18 in the fifth, you heard it here first.

Ok, I am trolling a bit. :)

I think he might be happy with his two medals, as he stated in the interviews. Also following olympics I don't make much difference between singles golds or team golds. I was watching Italian team in fencing and when they won I didn't care they were a team and not singles competion. :)

Jimnik
08-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Rio is where it's at.

If he fails, there's always 2020.

Looner
08-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Fed to beat Nadal in the finals of Rio 2016 on clay in 5 sets 20-18 in the fifth, you heard it here first.

Ok, I am trolling a bit. :)

I think he might be happy with his two medals, as he stated in the interviews. Also following olympics I don't make much difference between singles golds or team golds. I was watching Italian team in fencing and when they won I didn't care they were a team and not singles competion. :)

I think Roger wanted any medal in 2012. He has said he's won gold before, so a silver was nice. Even any bronze in Rio would be sweet. Gold would be amazing though. If the new generation is focusing on slams and fighting for them in 2016, Roger might well steal that gold but it's going to be very tough.

The Prince
08-05-2012, 09:36 PM
too old

The ITF want it on hard, so as not to disrupt the progression of the season.

Can you imagine the top guys playing Toronto, then going south to play on Rio clay. I can't.

Looner
08-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Can you imagine the top guys playing Toronto, then going south to play on Rio clay. I can't.

Cheers for the info. That does make sense as well. Hopefully it's on a quick hard court, so RF still has his chances :).

AntiTennis
08-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Toronto? it won't be after Wimbledon like this year?

Jimnik
08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Cheers for the info. That does make sense as well. Hopefully it's on a quick hard court, so RF still has his chances :).
They should make it indoors. Carpet on a wooden base.

Chair Umpire
08-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Anyone who believes Roger is happy with the silver medal is in a deep denial state. He has failed at his best and last chance of achieving the Golden Slam.

Plus, he has been saying for years how much he wanted to win the gold medal in London.

Looner
08-05-2012, 09:44 PM
They should make it indoors. Carpet on a wooden base.

Federer would win that in a wheelchair so that goes against the Olympic spirit. And no, your trolling is unimaginative and boring. Take it somewhere else.

Jimnik
08-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Federer would win that in a wheelchair so that goes against the Olympic spirit. And no, your trolling is unimaginative and boring. Take it somewhere else.
Are you for real?

EliSter
08-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Even for you this is hilariouis mate.

The Prince
08-05-2012, 09:55 PM
too old

Toronto? it won't be after Wimbledon like this year?

The Olympic dates change. In '08, the OG was after Toronto.

motorhead
08-05-2012, 10:24 PM
do you think guys like stepanek, haas, hernych will still be around to try and qualify for 2016 Olympics? I hope so if it's played on indoor HC

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 10:41 PM
do you think guys like stepanek, haas, hernych will still be around to try and qualify for 2016 Olympics? I hope so if it's played on indoor HC

Iron Mike will play his first olympics in Rio, it will be great. Haas will be there too, ofcourse.

manadrainer
08-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Anyone who believes Roger is happy with the silver medal is in a deep denial state. He has failed at his best and last chance of achieving the Golden Slam.

Plus, he has been saying for years how much he wanted to win the gold medal in London.

Well, when he lost yesterday I thought he would have been devastated and I was so sad for him. But then I watched the medal ceremony, he kissed his silver medal a lot of times and was smiling. In the interview he sounded satisfied of his result and I know he's not that good in hiding disappointment, that's why I think that even if he wanted gold he might be happy with his silver medal.

He sounded really too much satisfied after he won the semis and he wondered if he had anything left emotionally for Sunday.

Well I guess he didn't have much left, both physically (atrocious footwork) and mentally (couldn't up his level or take his chances).
as he said Andy was the better player yesterday in many aspects of the game and deserved his medal.

Roger the Dodger
08-06-2012, 06:16 AM
He looked so fatigued out there. I don't think his legs will last him till Rio. But he will surely remain on tour for two more years. Hopefully, another slam in store.

a_boy
08-06-2012, 06:25 AM
As Shirley Crabtree would say, "easy"

Orka_n
08-06-2012, 02:05 PM
He'll be too old. (Then again, if the "up-and-coming" youngsters keep on sucking this hard, who knows.)

But he'll be retired before Rio anyway probably.

buzz
08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
I would be very surprised if Federer is still top4 at that time, so he probably won't be a top4 favourite. But still possible if he is around top10.

He needs to stay injury free and be very fit for a 35yearold. Than he has a chance which would still be smaller than at these olympics. But the next generation doesn't look that strong and I suspect Nadal Djokovic and Murrays style will not be age friendly so they will probably also be 'old'.

cmoss
08-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Haas is playing well at 34,why the hell Fed's not? :wavey:

Of course,like Haas he'll not play a lot of matches but sometimes he can still play at very high level though.

At that time his current biggest rivals are almost 30 and the young ones aren't good enough.

Looner
09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
It seems that Roger may get to play another Olympics on HCs. Let's hope he manages to come through with the gold even at the ripe old age of 35 :D.

The president of Brazilian Confederation of Tenis already said that,

according some brazilian blogs. He said "They will be hard (the courts), according determination of COI

and ITF"

Here a source, in portuguese: http://blogs.lancenet.com.br/tenis/2012/09/13/olimpiada-do-rio-sera-

na-quadra-dura-wozniacki-e-stosur-no-wta-de-floripa/

TigerTim
09-19-2012, 07:12 PM
hard courts? Good, another chance for Wogie, and another chance for Muzzah!

Federer in 2
09-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Outdoor?

Gagsquet
09-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Rogie will retire 2014 so this thread is pointless.

TigerTim
09-19-2012, 07:28 PM

interesting.

The Prince
09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
See? My sources in Brazil were correct.

Gustavo :yeah:

The Prince
09-19-2012, 07:36 PM

:)

Looner
09-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Outdoor?

I suppose :shrug:. They have to make them build a roof (and hope for rain) as well due to the fact Wimbledon is immediately before the Olympics and has a roof :angel:.

Wrong again, Frenchie.

barbadosan
09-19-2012, 07:52 PM
To be honest, I feel Fed threw out the playing in Rio as a useful way of shunting the journalists away from asking him a gazillion times when he's going to retire

saviopr
09-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Outdoor?

Yeah.

Sanya
09-19-2012, 08:31 PM
If it`s going to be slow hard like we have in Miami... I think clay would be better option then.

GSMnadal
09-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Federer winning something in 2016 :haha:

maybe a challenger in Zurich. Olympic Gold? :spit:

Avi14
09-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Federer winning the Gold in RIO in 2016?

:facepalm::help:

saviopr
09-19-2012, 09:53 PM
If it`s going to be slow hard like we have in Miami... I think clay would be better option then.

Very likely. Both outdoor hardcourts; hot, humid and sea level cities.

Looner
09-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Rog will prob have trouble winning a medal in Rio but if he does win the gold this thread will make for some excellent bumping. The Dulltards will have to try to explain their stupidity once again even though we all know they have trouble with logic.

Thunder Hoad
09-20-2012, 01:41 PM
To be honest, I feel Fed threw out the playing in Rio as a useful way of shunting the journalists away from asking him a gazillion times when he's going to retire

Sounds right. This thread tells me that fedtards are more demanding than the pharaoh on the Jewish. I'd say it's impossible for him to win but with his amazing luck I can't completely put it past him.

MaxPower
09-20-2012, 02:35 PM
London 2012 was his final shot at the singles gold. Already has gold in doubles and tennis in the Olympics is a big fat meh anyway.

If he plays in 2016 he won't be in top10 and he won't be a contender for major tournaments, even if he probably still could pull an upset and do a deep run here and there.

4 years is a long time and even if it looks reasonable TODAY and it looks like the future generation will suck TODAY that's not gonna be the case in a few years.

Looner
09-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Sounds right. This thread tells me that fedtards are more demanding than the pharaoh on the Jewish. I'd say it's impossible for him to win but with his amazing luck I can't completely put it past him.

Care you elaborate :confused:

London 2012 was his final shot at the singles gold. Already has gold in doubles and tennis in the Olympics is a big fat meh anyway.

If he plays in 2016 he won't be in top10 and he won't be a contender for major tournaments, even if he probably still could pull an upset and do a deep run here and there.

4 years is a long time and even if it looks reasonable TODAY and it looks like the future generation will suck TODAY that's not gonna be the case in a few years.

Wasn't Agassi top 10 at 35? I am sure Fed can match. Not saying he will but saying he won't be top is a bit premature for me.

Londinium
09-20-2012, 03:42 PM
As much as I respect the guy he hasn't got a chance in hell of winning gold at 2016, he'll be just too old. 2012 was the perfect set up for him winning that medal but his match against Del Potro ruined any chance. Twenty years down the line though I don't think people will be arguing that Federer wasn't one of the best ever just because he didn't win an Olympic gold medal.