Will tennis will be amazing in the next 2-3 years or what? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will tennis will be amazing in the next 2-3 years or what?

fsoica
08-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I think that this Olympic Games brought tennis to a wonderful point. I am still in a little bit of pain after Fed's close-to-humiliation defeat (although there's no hammering or humiliation in losing a final to a younger and better opponent after a grueling SF), but I think that the near future will hold a lot of big battles.

We have Delpo and Muzza closer than ever to the top 3, game-wise, and I think this Olympics gave them the confidence needed to challenge the first 3 places of the ATP rankings.

A new era will start, an era which will bring us a lot of historic duels. None of the top 3 will face, from now on, Muzza or Delpo with a sure-winner mentality.

I think this Olympic Games are the best thing that could have happened to male tennis right now. What's your opinion about the near future?

LastRocket
08-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Best years are behind us.
Nadal lost his motivation, Fed older, Djoker will get bored.

shiaben
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah I agree. Potro and Murray got medals and this will further their confidence entering the slams. Especially Murray whose a lot more better prepared than Potro, Tsonaga, etc. to win slams.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-05-2012, 03:55 PM
great top 4
del po maybe back
lets see how it goes

Bobby
08-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I must disagree. Murray winning was great and Delpo regaining his form his also good. However, we have no next generation challenging the old guns and that's what we really need. Instead we have Tommy Haas who seems to be playing like a 25 year old. Now, I like Tommy a lot. He's one of my favourite players. But at his age and with all the injuries, his results reveal the current state of the game.

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Top 3 in decline, Murray rising to the occasion and Delpo/Tsonga/Berdych also in to challenge the established order.

It could be an exciting few years in 2013-2014 where tennis becomes truly compeitive even if no one will be able to play that unbelivably high level of tennis we have seen from Djokovic/Federer/Nadal (maybe Murray).

Then the dark age will come sometime around 2015+ when this whole generation will be in serious decline with nothing to replace it.

Looner
08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Let's see them actually do it. Otherwise I fully agree. I've been waiting for this for far too long. Let's see RN face some proper opposition on HCs for once.

rinnegan
08-05-2012, 04:07 PM
They will only be amazing if we see a Nole-Djole duopoly.

Mark Lenders
08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Murray making strides and Del Potro continuing his comeback are definitely great news for the sport, no doubt about that. But let's see how it will unfold.

hipolymer
08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
More like a dark age. If Murray wins a slam I just might stop watching altogether. :facepalm:

rocketassist
08-05-2012, 04:11 PM
More like a dark age. If Murray wins a slam I just might stop watching altogether. :facepalm:

Yeah but you're one of these people who started watching tennis just cause of Nole. If we get rid of the likes of you, then tennis WILL be making great strides.

yesyesok
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM
I think a new generation will establish themselves quite quickly in the next few years.

The guys are there, Dmitrov, Tomic, Goffina and a few others but because they lose a lot of matches they shouldn't people jump on them heavily.

I believe a future GOAT once got bagelled by Vincent Spadea.

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 04:17 PM
I believe a future GOAT once got bagelled by Vincent Spadea.

At 17 that was, not at 21-22 (Dmitrov, Raonic, Goffin's age), at that age he was busy winning Wimbledon.

yesyesok
08-05-2012, 04:20 PM
At 17 that was, not at 21-22 (Dmitrov, Raonic, Goffin's age), at that age he was busy winning Wimbledon.

So none of them will be Federer or Nadal, but that's not a reason to write them off.

I keep the faith they'll be a decent generation coming through, maybe only because the thought of Djokovic v Nadal for another 7 years makes me want to stop watching tennis.

Johnny Groove
08-05-2012, 04:21 PM
This is great for the game.

It is too boring when it is 1 guy, or even 2 or 3 guys monopolizing all the slams and big events. Now we have Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga, Delpo, Berdych, 7 legit slam contenders.

Golden age, I say, regardless of who you root for. More guys challenging for the biggest prizes is GOOD for the game.

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
So none of them will be Federer or Nadal, but that's not a reason to write them off.

I keep the faith they'll be a decent generation coming through, maybe only because the thought of Djokovic v Nadal for another 7 years makes me want to stop watching tennis.

I am not saying they wont be Federer/Nadal level, what I am saying is that they wont reach Del Potro's level.

Mark Lenders
08-05-2012, 04:24 PM

It is too boring when it is 1 guy, or even 2 or 3 guys monopolizing all the slams and big events. Now we have Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga, Delpo, Berdych, 7 legit slam contenders.

Golden age, I say, regardless of who you root for. More guys challenging for the biggest prizes is GOOD for the game.

No way. The other five yes; Tsonga and Berdych are guys who can win one Slam max if they get hot for a few matches, they are dangerous outsiders. They have too many weaknesses to be considered top contenders on a regular basis.

Dougie
08-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Tsonga and Berdych are not Slam contenders any more than they have been before. Delpo seems to be making proress, which is good, but let´s not get carried away. He made to the semifinals of a tournament of best-of-three matches. That´s still far from being a Slam contender.