Hate-free zone to celebrate Murray's great level of play and talent [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hate-free zone to celebrate Murray's great level of play and talent

duong
08-05-2012, 04:35 PM
I hope some people on MTF may be able to celebrate Murray's great level of play today and his talent which has always been great (look at his match against Fed in Cincinnati 2006 or against Nadal in Tokyo last year ;) )

Let's hope a great future for him : like for Fed's doubles gold in 2008, maybe it will give him a boost for the US Open and the future :D

swebright
08-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Future # 1. Let's jump on the bandwagon and celebrate.:devil:

Looner
08-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Well done, Muzzah. Deserved it man. Let's see you win some big things in 2013. USO 2012 is Roger's though ;). You can also win the WTF.

Mark Lenders
08-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Great achievement for Murray, he can add another gold medal later this afternoon in mixed doubles too. People will probably come with the whole 'It's not a Slam' nonsense, but winning gold for your nation is a very special achievement no matter how you look at it. Murray must be very proud. And he did so in style, playing great tennis in semis and final.

electronicmusic
08-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Murray really deserved to win a big title like this. He showed some great, aggressive tennis during the last week. Congratulations!

SaFed2005
08-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I like Murray's chances at the US Open this year. :)

Lleyton_
08-05-2012, 04:52 PM
What a great tournament it has been with a clean podium. No other venue will top this one in terms of prestige. All medals are worth twice as much as other Olympic tennis medals won in plces like Beijing http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin/evilgrin0006.gif

Goldray's medal is the greatest Olympic tennis gold of all time.

Kooyong
08-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Great win by Murray, he outplayed Fed from the first point and showed plenty of fight at times.

I was impressed at how solid Murray played for the whole match and I think if we look at both the Wimbledon final and today match an increase level of mental toughness.

guga2120
08-05-2012, 04:54 PM
When he is confident and playing offensive off the return. His game is the most versatile and unique in tennis. Its great to watch.

Whiznot
08-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Congratulations on a great performance Andy Murray. I think the floodgates open now for multiple slams starting with the 2012 US Open. Djokovic and Nadal are fading into the background. Murray and del Potro are surely rising. Federer is still Federer.

Chirag
08-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Congrats Andy :worship::worship:

Best player in the event won it in the end

MuzzahLovah
08-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Hate Free Zones do not exist on MTF. Also :cheerleader: Murray's forehand really saved him today, even when his serve went missing. His backhand, slice and volleys have always been great to watch.

duong
08-05-2012, 05:03 PM
yes, his forehand was especially impressive, also in the semifinal,

and he was very quick.

and his volleys have always been great (I saw him play serev-and-volley in Bercy against a very good Nalbandian and he was great), but playing doubles has made him even better today.

He still needs to improve his serve mostly imo but he has every thing of the rest, even if his forehand is not as good as the other three ones of the top-4.

Apophis
08-05-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm very happy for him, this was highly impressive. He had some tough losses but is not going away but only keeps improving. With that mentality and given that he has the least matches in his legs of the top 4 by over 100 matches, he still has a promising future.

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Greatest player to not win a slam and greatest player not to win 5 slams, I kid you not.

Mark Lenders
08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Greatest player to not win a slam and greatest player not to win 5 slams, I kid you not.

The first part is argubaly true.

The second part :spit: Not even remotely close.

mystic ice cube
08-05-2012, 05:25 PM
What's make this victory so remarkable, is in the manner of how he came back from such a difficult loss in such a small space of time, in the same place venue to the same opponent. I really take my hat off to Murray. Completely deserved, & I can definitely see him taking US Open if he keeps up this level of play.

rocketassist
08-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Vilas or Courier......

Overreacting there

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Vilas or Courier......

Overreacting there

I had almost forgot about Vilas, I also had Nastasse in mind but I still have Murray up there with those 2. Murray is greater than Courier.

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 05:36 PM
The first part is argubaly true.

The second part :spit: Not even remotely close.

Watch out, suddenly Murray wins 2-3 slams and it doesnt sound so absurd anymore, like when I said Djokovic was greater than Wilander when Djokovic had only won 2 slams.

After a strong era comes a weak one and if Murray stays at this level for the next 3-4 years god knows what is possible for him to achieve.

Mark Lenders
08-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Watch out, suddenly Murray wins 2-3 slams and it doesnt sound so absurd anymore, like when I said Djokovic was greater than Wilander when Djokovic had only won 2 slams.

Yes, if/when Murray wins 2-3 Slams, he will have a claim to that greatness. As of right now, he doesn't. You can't be the greatest player with less than five Slams when you haven't won even one.

You're basing that on what you expect him to achieve, not on what he has actually achieved.

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Yes, if/when Murray wins 2-3 Slams, he will have a claim to that greatness. As of right now, he doesn't.

Well, I am bold enought to claim his greatness before I have a number infront of me that confirms it to everyone able to count.

tennis_analyst
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Very well played, Andy Murray. I am gutted for Roger, but Andy was just too good. Will he suddenly become a major force and stick to this attacking game? Somehow I have my doubts, so many times in the past he disappointed. But this tournament shows what Murray is capable of, I wonder why it takes years for him to realize his potential.

Mark Lenders
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Well, I am bold enought to claim his greatness before I have a number infront of me that confirms it to everyone able to count.

If you had written it as a prediction ie Murray will be greater than any 5 Slam winner atm it'd be alright.

But you wrote it as a statement of fact, which at the moment is simply not true. If Murray starts winning Slams, then it will be of course. But it's far from a given, GS titles don't grow on trees.

sexybeast
08-05-2012, 05:41 PM
You're basing that on what you expect him to achieve, not on what he has actually achieved.

Yeah, I like to do that. This thread is celebrating Murray's great level of play and talent , not his achievments.

Smoke944
08-05-2012, 05:43 PM

After a strong era comes a weak one and if Murray stays at this level for the next 3-4 years god knows what is possible for him to achieve.

Think Nadal, Djokovic, and Del Potro at the very minimum will have a lot to say about the next 3-4 years.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-05-2012, 05:54 PM
murray>macenroe
courier>murray (for now)

SheepleBuster
08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't hope anything for Murray or anyone else. I can never really respect the UK or their fans. But a gold is a gold. So congrats to Murray. He still has not won a slam. Let's see if he backs this up.

Jimnik
08-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm in celebration and I'm not even a Murray fan.

Mechlan
08-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Been a fan since 2006. Not an easy task, but I'm so incredibly happy and proud of him. Finally, finally, starting to play with the type of aggression and variety that I've known he's capable of. Hope he can continue to play this way. It won't always go his way but at least if he plays like this he gives himself a shot. Congrats Muzza.

Lleyton_
08-05-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm in celebration and I'm not even a Murray fan.

:eek: Any chance you're a Federer hater?

Shirogane
08-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Well, as I said in the other thread, he was playing so well that I ended up rooting for another gold medal in mixed doubles. :lol: Says it all really.

Federer in 2
08-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Murray defeated Federer today in straight sets to take the Olympic Gold medal. but boy oh boy didn't people jump a bit ahead of themselves with conclusions and predictions!
This defeat doesn't say anything about his future in the game, and is definitely not crucial for his legacy.

A lot of people for some reason consider this gold medal to be a huge 'hole' in his resume. So he will probably never be an Olympic champion, so what? A lot of legends never win the OGs, not because it's the most difficult but because they only have 2 or 3 real shots at them. Even if we take his Beijing Gold out of the question, it's a great achievement to claim the Silver medal in singles. He fought hard, made it to the final through a couple of inspired opponents, and made Switzerland proud as hell. It's a real shame that fans (no his) are still looking at his so called 'Career Silver Grand Slam' as evidence why he cannot be considered the greatest of all time. The fact that he didn't win this tournament is almost irrelevant when you think about his victories in more prestigious tournaments (23 of them to be exact).

As for his future, give me a break please. Roger is the best Tennis player in the world at the moment. He did nothing brilliant this week, but it was enough to get to the final and lose to the man who was by a huge margin the best player of those games. Federer showed some nerves at the late stages for this tournament, and that's nothing new if you take into account his past experience when representing his country. He overcame an enormous mental obstacle on Friday, and it's hard for me to imagine another situation until his retirement when he will be this nervous. There are no excuses for today's loss, and even if he was tired today, I doubt he would be able to pull this of if he wasn't. Andy was brilliant.
Federer will now continue to compete in his best part of the season, before reaching his favorite indoor tournaments. Don't forget how 3 weeks ago he won Wimbledon and - The future looks better than ever for the world number 1. There is no need to be pessimistic after one loss. At this stage, Roger will still be the favorite against Andy anywhere they play, especially if they meet at the USO.

Now, the outcome of this final was is more significant for Murray than it is for Fed. He finally won a major title, beating Djokovic and Federer without dropping a set. This should be a great mental boost for him. No matter what, we are in for a fantastic period in men's Tennis for at least a year and a half :D

Miss Molly
08-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Good job, Andy! All he had to do was add a bit of pace to his shots and a better attitude. He has great defence, he's very crafty and now he realizes he can beat the hell out of the ball to do well. I think he's the favourite going into the US Open.

AntiTennis
08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Good words.

Jimnik
08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
:eek: Any chance you're a Federer hater?
Hate hate hate - all you ever think about.

Any chance I'm a tennis fan?

Sanya
08-05-2012, 10:43 PM
It`s true. But really, let Murray`s fans enjoy this moment. Even if they exaggerate a lot. It`s not like they could celebrate 17, 11 or 5 GS titles in past. ;)

Federer in 2
08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
It`s true. But really, let Murray`s fans enjoy this moment. Even if they exaggerate a lot. It`s not like they could celebrate 17, 11 or 5 GS titles in past. ;)

Murray is one of my favorite players (wasn't that clear?:scratch:). I'm very very happy for him. And I definitely hope he gets to celebrate some Slams ;)

Lleyton_
08-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Hate hate hate - all you ever think about.

Any chance I'm a tennis fan?

Your post history says I'm right.

Jimnik
08-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Your post history says I'm right.
Your post history says you're wrong.

MuzzahLovah
08-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Posts other than "congrats Murray" after all his tough 5 set losses to fed just seem a little sore loserish

Sanya
08-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Murray is one of my favorite players (wasn't that clear?:scratch:). I'm very very happy for him. And I definitely hope he gets to celebrate some Slams ;)

I think that everyone with head understand that, don`t be offended only. ;) Simply after such win atmosphere itself inspires on dreams. :)

Federer in 2
08-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Posts other than "congrats Murray" after all his tough 5 set losses to fed just seem a little sore loserish

What about posts suggesting that Federer will go straight downhill from here when he is the best player this year, as well as in the last 12 months, and after he cemented his GOAT reputation for the 25th time?

LocoPorElTenis
08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Murray :hatoff: . Very well played.

Federer in 2
08-05-2012, 11:04 PM
I think that everyone with head understand that, don`t be offended only. ;) Simply after such win atmosphere itself inspires on dreams. :)

Don't worry about it :p. Besides, it's really great that he won. Made me feel bad after Wimby final.

No Davis Cup, no singles olympic gold

Sweet Jesus you must be right! And he never won Barcelona, Rome or Monte Carlo either!! :eek:
I take my words back I guess...

coluta
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
I've just gained some new level of respect for Andy. He just updated his facebook cover photo and he chose a photo with the entire olympic podium. It is a small thing, but I think it says a lot about him. He could have easily chosen a photo of himself only.

DemiCrayanhan
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
well-done andy. keep it up.

Orka_n
08-06-2012, 04:46 PM
The player forums are the hate-free zones.

Sapeod
08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Andy's form at the moment is superb. Far better than any other player's, for now anyway. He can definitely storm through the hardcourt season with win after win if he carries on this excellent form.

Looner
08-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Andy's form at the moment is superb. Far better than any other player's, for now anyway. He can definitely storm through the hardcourt season with win after win if he carries on this excellent form.

Uhm, it wasn't that superb at Wimbledon where he lost in 4. One tournament is not really a good indicator of form.

sexybeast
08-06-2012, 05:05 PM

It seems like your time has finally come Sapeod, after all the beatings you got beeing rather alone in the Murray camp it must feel good.

sexybeast
09-12-2012, 05:27 PM

I think in 2 years this will not sound strange at all, another 2 slams and it is a legitimate statement even to those who limit their judgements to numbers.

Vilas, Courier, Nastasse watch out....

Sophocles
09-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I think in 2 years this will not sound strange at all, another 2 slams and it is a legitimate statement even to those who limit their judgements to numbers.

Vilas, Courier, Nastasse watch out....

He'll have to go some to surpass Nastase in my opinion.

The Prince
09-12-2012, 05:58 PM
What an amazing player he is. A great.

GOAT = Fed
09-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Tempted to destroy this party but I'll pass.

After all this is probably the only time Mugray 'tards get their moment.

sexybeast
09-12-2012, 06:15 PM
He'll have to go some to surpass Nastase in my opinion.

Add 2 YECs and he is up there.

hisham70
09-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Pusher and proud of it.

BroTree123
09-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Mandytard forum :o

Couldn't care less what the thread title says. Nadal is back next year to expose this talentless pusher :bigwave:

Cereal Killer
09-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Tempted to destroy this party but I'll pass.

After all this is probably the only time Mugray 'tards get their moment.

:lol:

Like you could ruin this for anyone with at least half a brain...

MaxPower
09-12-2012, 06:37 PM
wohooo. Murray is so great. His interviews and press conferences too. What an energy guy. What a personality. If you're feeling down you can always watch Murray talk. What excitement and what drive! What passion! When he wins he's always so happy you can really see it.

Murray is one of those guys that can PUSH you out of a bad mood and get you going on a bad day.

duong
09-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Pusher and proud of it.

Precision : the thread was made after the Olympics final where Murray indeed played great, he did not really in the USO final imo, he was tough mentally, which is different.

Sexybeast just wanted to bump a quote he/she had made in that thread.

GOAT = Fed
09-12-2012, 06:40 PM
:lol:

Like you could ruin this for anyone with at least half a brain...

Strong ad-hom attack.

pls go back to the basics and the learn the art of logic and debating.

Cereal Killer
09-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I think it says more about Andy's opponents than him that he didn't have to play his best Tennis in order to win this title. ;)

My logic is just fine. The fact that you spend your day here hating on a player who has just won a Grand Slam is rather sad. You really give yourself too much credit because no one cares what you think.

rocketassist
09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Mandytard forum :o

Couldn't care less what the thread title says. Nadal is back next year to expose this talentless pusher :bigwave:

Is he gonna take away his slam though? :p

sexybeast
09-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Sexybeast just wanted to bump a quote he/she had made in that thread.

True, I admit there was some shameful gloating involved in this BUMP. There really wasnt much to celebrate about Murray in this Usopen except the match against Raonic and that 5th set unlike Wimbledon/Olympics where he was playing amazing tennis.

Murray deserved this one because of the great tennis he showed us in the Wimbledon final, that Murray would surely straight set the clown Djokovic who showed up in the final.

The Prince
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
The haters just make me feel better. A while ago, I thought nobody really cared much about Murray, but now, I know he is the centre of the tennis world's thoughts, and will remain close to it for the foreseeable future.

out_grinder
09-12-2012, 07:11 PM
wohooo. Murray is so great. His interviews and press conferences too. What an energy guy. What a personality. If you're feeling down you can always watch Murray talk. What excitement and what drive! What passion! When he wins he's always so happy you can really see it.

Murray is one of those guys that can PUSH you out of a bad mood and get you going on a bad day.

Who do you like, Berdych, Soderling?

They also have boring games in the opposite way that Murray has a boring game. They are both one dimensional ballbashers with no defense.

And they're both jerks as well. Not jerks with an entertaining villain-type personality either, just boring jerks.