5-sets final - nostalgia? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

5-sets final - nostalgia?

Sanya
08-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I know it was such thread few months ago, didn`t succeed in finding. But let it be.

Now we`ll have first final in 5-sets format since OG-08 (forget about GS). 2007 was the last year when some Masters finals were played over 5 sets. Some active players even took part in such final in lesser category (Fed in Basel-01 for example). I almost got used to current situation, but today remembered a few matches from past which never would be repeated I guess. Rome-06? It was amazing, etc.

Simply one question - do you feel the same, maybe you thought about it last few days? ;) Nostalgia got me. :sad:

JurajCrane
08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
It became special, of course. I still miss it.

Johnny Groove
08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Definitely some of the TMS events and even some 500's like Basel or Barcelona have become devalued due to 3 set instead of 5 set finals now.

Rome 06 was one of the greatest matches ever, Rome 05 as well, Miami 2005, and so on. Has there been a memorable TMS final since 2007? Maybe Miami 2011, but that's it.

rocketassist
08-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Definitely some of the TMS events and even some 500's like Basel or Barcelona have become devalued due to 3 set instead of 5 set finals now.

Rome 06 was one of the greatest matches ever, Rome 05 as well, Miami 2005, and so on. Has there been a memorable TMS final since 2007? Maybe Miami 2011, but that's it.

There hasn't been one no. That match was overrated anyway it was a physical display of marathon tennis with some of the most bone-crunching points (and slides!) on a hard court I've ever seen.

Last memorable TMS final I would go for would be the Nalbandian back to back ones.

Johnny Groove
08-05-2012, 12:27 PM
There hasn't been one no. That match was overrated anyway it was a physical display of marathon tennis with some of the most bone-crunching points (and slides!) on a hard court I've ever seen.

Last memorable TMS final I would go for would be the Nalbandian back to back ones.

Well of course you would enjoy Nadal getting bageled in Paris 07 F :lol:

I think those events are more impressive due to Dave's entire runs. Beating Fed and Nadal in Paris, and I believe Fed, Nadal, AND Djokovic in Madrid. Epic runs.

What's worse is that even the Year End Masters final is best of 3, that is the biggest travesty here.

Sanya
08-05-2012, 12:29 PM

You`ve forgotten the best one - IW-10. :yeah: