Washington SF: "The Dog" Dolgopolov def. Samuel Querrey 6-4 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Washington SF: "The Dog" Dolgopolov def. Samuel Querrey 6-4 6-4

nole_no1
08-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Querrey had no answer to The Dog :sport:

LastRocket
08-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Dolgo was too much for Querrey

tennisfan856
08-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Sam didn't serve well, and his returning woes throughout the tournament continued today. Dolgo was patchy at times, but really played well in opportune moments. He is like a puma waiting to pounce.

This isn't a confidence-building week for Sam imo as he survived quite some scares without playing particularly well.

Final will be entertaining. I would say Tommy is the favorite, but Dolgo can give him a lot of fits.

SVK
08-05-2012, 12:29 AM
This match showed Dolgo isnīt just about slice anymore...Iīm happy he is back to flater game, there was just one (almost) purely slice rally from him at 4-4 deuce in second. Good performance again, just dropshots werenīt working today, but thatīs not a big deal. Good luck in the final.

superandy88
08-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Pretty bad match today after a good match yesterday, but Querrey was really bad. Dolgo has to step up his game tomorrow to win the title.

motorhead
08-05-2012, 01:09 AM
This match showed Dolgo isnīt just about slice anymore...Iīm happy he is back to flater game, there was just one (almost) purely slice rally from him at 4-4 deuce in second. Good performance again, just dropshots werenīt working today, but thatīs not a big deal. Good luck in the final.

don't know why he's barely slicing at the moment. it can be very effective and the point you mentioned shows it.

happy for the dog, brilliant final tomorrow!

Topspindoctor
08-05-2012, 01:57 AM
Always good to see a talented player prevail over a mindless serve bot.

yesh222
08-05-2012, 04:25 AM
There goes Querrey's win streak. It was quite impressive, even if most of it wasn't against top 50 competition.

Mountaindewslave
08-05-2012, 05:21 AM
don't know why he's barely slicing at the moment. it can be very effective and the point you mentioned shows it.

happy for the dog, brilliant final tomorrow!

the problem is when Dolgo is using his slice a lot he tends to get STUCK on it and never pull the trigger for a strong groundstroke.........

He is much more effective when keeping the variety up and sticking with a strong baseline groundstroke game and drop shots occasionally!

plus one reason the slices worked so well in the point you two mentioned is because Sam was a bit offput by it because Alex had not been slicing much during the match.

he's smart to save the frequent slice as a thing to mix up opponents midway through the match, his groundstrokes are just so sick at times that Dolgopolov is smart to stick to aggressive. remember he has played mediocre the last year and in it he has sliced FAR TOO MUCH. this aggressive game works for himmm

tennisfan856
08-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Imo, i like dolgo's aggressiveness but i think he is struggling to find a balance in the power he is producing. He over-hit a lot of shots, and if he were to play someone with better rally skills than sam, the score-line would've been different. Remember, he could've went down 0-4 to country club blake if it weren't for some good luck. Dolgo needs to find that balance where he can make it, and it is hit with authority. I definitely don't want to see him go back to the petzschner style, but just some controlled aggression.

VolandriFan
08-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Come on Dolgo, take the title!

RonaldGomez
08-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Dolgo still working with Reader ? I heard some rumors about a split some weeks ago.