Will Murray reach top 3 in 2013? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Murray reach top 3 in 2013?

MadClass
08-04-2012, 03:40 AM
If he can show some improvement during the clay season next year, do you think he will have a shot?

Mountaindewslave
08-04-2012, 03:52 AM
If he can show some improvement during the clay season next year, do you think he will have a shot?

I think age will catch up to Roger sooner or later. he's having a phenominal 2012 BUT all great things eventually come to an end. his body will catch up to him and if he were to win the Olympics then it would mean he had won every meaningful event in tennis- his inspiration will be slightly gone. I think he will play on a few seasons for fun and maybe win big events here or there but physically obviously he is close to serious decline and mentally he probably will care a bit less.

Murray looks to be getting back to where he needs to be with his game so I think he will take Roger's spot. of course things are so unpredictable sometimes, so who knows. I would say they switch though

Freak3yman84
08-04-2012, 03:57 AM
He's already been number 2 in the world, and the players getting older and older only makes it easier. So yes he will make it, and it'll be either Fed or Nadal to be bumped to #4. It really depends on Nadal's injury(ies)

Andy1402
08-04-2012, 04:07 AM
I think, with djokovic going back to 2010 levels (somewhat higher) snd Murray getting loads of confidence, he will soon be no. 3, with djokovic bumped out.
It will really depend on how the HC and indoor season pans out.

Ben.
08-04-2012, 04:08 AM
I assume you mean will he finish 2013 in the top 3? Because he has a good chance of being top three this year, for a while at least.

ogbg
08-04-2012, 04:20 AM
I assume you mean will he finish 2013 in the top 3? Because he has a good chance of being top three this year, for a while at least.

If he can win USO or WTF he probably will, otherwise it will be tough given his defending points from September onwards.

Litotes
08-04-2012, 04:27 AM
If he can win USO or WTF he probably will, otherwise it will be tough given his defending points from September onwards.

WTF? That is 1500 points at best. He is currently 2995 points behind Nadal in the Race so he will need more. If the Spaniard comes back for Cincinnatti I don't see Murray advancing this year. Should have a good chance in 2013, though.

xargon
08-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Nadal will make a comeback at Cincy. I actually think Nadal could win the USO this year.

Whiznot
08-04-2012, 05:45 AM
I think age will catch up to Roger sooner or later. he's having a phenominal 2012 BUT all great things eventually come to an end. his body will catch up to him and if he were to win the Olympics then it would mean he had won every meaningful event in tennis- his inspiration will be slightly gone. I think he will play on a few seasons for fun and maybe win big events here or there but physically obviously he is close to serious decline and mentally he probably will care a bit less.

Murray looks to be getting back to where he needs to be with his game so I think he will take Roger's spot. of course things are so unpredictable sometimes, so who knows. I would say they switch though

I am afraid that Roger is a psycho with a hidden sadistic streak and that he just thoroughly enjoys kicking ass and will never change. Tough luck Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, et al.

Topspindoctor
08-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Pushray at #3 will be a huge fiasco for the sport.

philosophicalarf
08-04-2012, 01:08 PM
He could do it next week in Canada.

JanKowalski
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Pushray at #3 will be a huge fiasco for the sport.

Your coming back is a fiasco for this forum and it's mods.

Sanya
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
I guess it`ll be new rebellion next year. Roger is amazing, but noone can deceive his own body and motivation ever. Really think that finally we get to that time - Fedal once and for all will give up their position in the rankings. Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro will fight for #1 next year in the first place.

WhoCares
08-04-2012, 01:20 PM
He could do it next week in Canada.

Interesting, 'cause he's not playing Canada.

Pratik
08-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes. And anybody who does not agree needs to get their head checked

decrepitude
08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Interesting, 'cause he's not playing Canada.

Murray hasn't withdrawn yet, though obviously he might.

Roy Emerson
08-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Yes, and Nadal will be bumped to #4.

Nadal is only capable of winning clay titles for almost 2 years now. That will not be enough to stay in the top 3 since most of the tour is played off clay. As a matter off fact, Nadal has only reached a final off clay this year. So his level off clay is getting worse and worse compared to last year when he reached several finals off clay.

I actually think Nadal could win the USO this year.

That would be really shocking. Like Nole winning another Wimbledon title.

emotion
08-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Nadal could easily lose #3 this year, actually. If Murray wins today then wins Rogers Cup, he's really close after the USO assuming Nadal fails to defend final

Alex999
08-04-2012, 05:02 PM
not sure why this is such a big deal. he was ranked as high as #2. Andy should focus on winning slams, not his ranking.

mark73
08-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Next year will be interesting for all the top 4? Can Nadal and Djokovic keep up their physical games. Can Federer continue to win as he gets older. Can Murray find the right balance of offence and defence against the top 4 and not get too down on himself. So far Lendl is doing a great job.

If everything falls into place for Murray then who knows, maybe even number one is possible. Lendl was only a bit younger than Murray when he won his first slam and he became a legend.

BroTree123
08-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I hope not.

nole_no1
08-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, and Nadal will be bumped to #4.

Nadal is only capable of winning clay titles for almost 2 years now. That will not be enough to stay in the top 3 since most of the tour is played off clay. As a matter off fact, Nadal has only reached a final off clay this year. So his level off clay is getting worse and worse compared to last year when he reached several finals off clay.

I agree with that. If Nadal won't win something important off clay he'll be dumped to #4

IOFH
08-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Over Nadal perhaps, all will depend on whether he can dominate clay still. That's about 5000 points for him there.

Sham Kay
08-04-2012, 05:33 PM
This

Andi-M
08-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Nadal will make a comeback at Cincy. I actually think Nadal could win the USO this year.

This seriously would NOT suprise me. Everyone is talking about Murderer, but Nadal is no fool he'll be ready.

Han Solo
08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
I guess it`ll be new rebellion next year. Roger is amazing, but noone can deceive his own body and motivation ever. Really think that finally we get to that time - Fedal once and for all will give up their position in the rankings. Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro will fight for #1 next year in the first place.

Sorry, just don't think that will happen so soon. Federer has just regained number one spot and is playing more consistently and effectively than he has done for over two and a half years. Of course he can't go on for ever but his decline is a gradual one and he'll still be amongst the best for at least another season.

Nadal - if he comes back from his rest time the same as he has done in the past, then he'll be up amongst the top two by the beginning of grass season next year at the latest. He's still only 26, after all. And I'm dubious as to whether his knee injury is serious enough to keep him out for long...

hipolymer
08-04-2012, 06:03 PM
No...:facepalm: The only reason this ugly man is even part of the discussion is because Nadal has been absent for the last month.

Han Solo
08-04-2012, 06:39 PM
No...:facepalm: The only reason this ugly man is even part of the discussion is because Nadal has been absent for the last month.

Afraid to say I agree with this. Sorry, Judy.

Moozza
08-04-2012, 06:44 PM
I remember the complete knee-jerk reaction threads from a couple of months ago saying Murray won't finish the year in the top 4, will fall down rankings etc. because he wasn't having a great clay season. Shows you how quickly things can change in tennis. I think people were tipping Berdych to take the #4 off him :lol:.

Sanya
08-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Sorry, just don't think that will happen so soon. Federer has just regained number one spot and is playing more consistently and effectively than he has done for over two and a half years. Of course he can't go on for ever but his decline is a gradual one and he'll still be amongst the best for at least another season.

Nadal - if he comes back from his rest time the same as he has done in the past, then he'll be up amongst the top two by the beginning of grass season next year at the latest. He's still only 26, after all. And I'm dubious as to whether his knee injury is serious enough to keep him out for long...
Ok mate, just my point of view. :wavey:
I guess Roger will be lower not due to his level of play but his shedule. Since next year there`ll not exist such thing as penalty for him and I`ll not be surprised if he skips 3-4 Masters. It`s a lot.
Rafa - that`s all about injuries for sure. Don`t think that in next few years he`ll have at least one season witout some misses here and there. He is young, but it`d be better to look at numbers of matches which he has already played. Remember Hewitt.

TennisMilan
08-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I think he'll knock Nadal down to #4.

Chase Visa
08-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Continues his current form then yeah. Particularly given how Nadal's playing.

Johnny Groove
08-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Depends on the health of Rafa.

And if Delpo can rise.