The effect of a doubles medal on a singles player [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The effect of a doubles medal on a singles player

mooncreek
08-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Of course it's nice to win any medal but this is about if it'd help the singles career. We saw the effect on both Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka after Beijing gold - Roger got out of the dumps and Stan would have his highest ranking ever. There are a bunch of singles players still around for the weekend in men's doubles.

In Tsonga's and likely Ferrer's case, I doubt it'd shift the picture that much. Jo might get a bit more validation (the only one guaranteed a medal of the lot) but we already know he can beat the big names on occasion. David likely continues the way he's played but it'd certainly nice to be the focus for Spain with Rafa out.

The players I'm actually looking at here are Feliciano Lopez, Julien Benneteau and Richard Gasquet - all in the bronze medal match. Benneteau had been riding confidence to begin with, thanks to his epic against Federer, so I'd think Julien is still riding the wave. The other two have had rather mixed results this year and both have a history of issues in big matches so it has the potential to be a really messy match.

yesh222
08-03-2012, 11:36 PM
It's all about confidence. Whatever inspires confidence can really jump-start a career. It can be a doubles medal, a Davis Cup title, or anything else.