Why is Ferrer considered short when Gaudio was same height ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why is Ferrer considered short when Gaudio was same height ?

Backhand_Maestro
08-03-2012, 09:08 PM
It intrigues me, this.

Action Jackson
08-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Got a really radical explanation for this. Relative to most other tennis players they are.

pusher for life
08-03-2012, 09:17 PM
because he's a vulture

Mark Lenders
08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Because they need to find an excuse for his failure to win big tournaments and his height seems like enough.

Of course, more careful observants know that Gaston Gaudio is a Grand Slam winner at the same height and Chang is a HOFer and he's even smaller, among other examples.

Backhand_Maestro
08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Got a really radical explanation for this. Relative to most other tennis players they are.

As a former Gaudio enthusiast, yes, Ferrer is but Gaudio has show it's not a real barrier.

sera$un
08-03-2012, 09:20 PM
http://s14.directupload.net/images/120803/58h7qaxq.jpg

finishingmove
08-03-2012, 09:24 PM

:haha:

finishingmove
08-03-2012, 09:25 PM
because he's a vulture

:spit:

Singularity
08-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Because they need to find an excuse for his failure to win big tournaments and his height seems like enough.

Of course, more careful observants know that Gaston Gaudio is a Grand Slam winner at the same height and Chang is a HOFer and he's even smaller, among other examples.
The question is "would Ferrer win bigger tournaments if he was taller", not "have other equally tall players won big tournaments".

Just because the answer to the second question is yes, doesn't mean the answer to the first question is no.

Mark Lenders
08-03-2012, 09:27 PM
The question is "would Ferrer win bigger tournaments if he was taller", not "have other equally tall players won big tournaments".

Just because the answer to the second question is yes, doesn't mean the answer to the first question is no.

If he was taller, he'd probably get more easy power but wouldn't be able to cover the court so well. Impossible to say how he'd do (or any other player really) at a different height, since his game would have developed in a totally different fashion from the early stages.

PiggyGotRoasted
08-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Ferrer = Defensive player thats ranked 5 because hes too consistant for fellow top 10 mugs like Monaco, will never overpower anyone.

Gaudio = Talented offensive player that was a bit of a headcase and hit big shots at times.

Thats why Gaudio would appear bigger in peoples memories

Li Ching Yuen
08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Ferrer is shorter than what he is listed. He's only 5'8.

He is short for professional tennis in 2012 but if you'd see him around the streets, you wouldn't be able to pick him out of the crowd. It's pretty relative.

I was reading a statistic that said that 6'2 or taller individuals are only 2 percent of the population in America. That gives you an insight.

Sophitia36
08-03-2012, 09:38 PM
For me Gaudio is not a bigger name than Ferrer... As a Coria fan who is absolutely not objective, I will always remember him as the guy who was lucky to win Roland Garros because Coria got cramps and choked :D

BTW, Coria was also the same height as Ferrer, 1,75m. He had the same problem with his serve, and also covered the court very well. I also think it's impossible to guess how they would have played if they had been taller.

I may be wrong, but I have the impression that it is rather recently that it became an anomaly to be under 1,80m for tennis players. 10 years ago, most players were tall, some were very tall, but you also had more "normal" guys.
Ferrer is one of the "old generation", and since most older players have retired, and youngest players seem to be taller and taller, he's now truly an exception in the top 30 at least.

1,75m is medium height for a man, not short, but by the standards of today's tennis, he's a midget. Just like Tony Parker is considered short for a basketball player...
So you see, David's not short, he's perfect, it's only that the others are too tall :p

mooncreek
08-03-2012, 10:02 PM
It's a fascinating illusion caused mostly by the match Gaudio is now most famous for. Coria is the same height but he always looked short due to the opponents he'd beaten prior to that match.

For Ferrer, it's more magnified because most of the elite players tower over him and he plays quite a few matches against these guys. Tipsarevic is the next highest ranked of the "normal" guys but Janko never seems to look that small oncourt.

Burrow
08-03-2012, 10:05 PM
It intrigues me, this.

Because he is.

Gaudio was also considered short.

Vinceremo
08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Because he is.

Pretty much :lol: Never heard or read someone saying Gaudio isn't short.

Anyway, glad to say that

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/842/epicthread.gif

Backhand_Maestro
08-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Because he is.

But too much emphasis is placed on Ferrer's

oh well

Thanos
08-04-2012, 12:16 AM
some posters that slept with gaudio said that he had a huge penis, so that why he not considered short.

Henry Chinaski
08-04-2012, 02:18 AM

haha

BroTree123
08-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Because he's a vulture.

/thread

abraxas21
08-04-2012, 04:26 AM
who cares, gaudio was a mug. only reason he ever won a slam was because he managed to face an even bigger mental clown than he was.

dencod16
08-04-2012, 05:44 AM
Because the compared to the height of other players in Gaudio's era he was average the tallest would have been 6'4 of course excluding Karlovic. Whereas In Ferrer's era he is relatively short, and many are between 6'4-6'11. If the likes of Murray played in Gaudio time he will be considered extremely tall, nowadays even Murray's height is normal which is 6'3.

Jverweij
08-04-2012, 05:54 AM
what Burrow said.

Why is this an issue?

Topspindoctor
08-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Because being below 180cm is too short for a modern game, whether you're Gaudio, Ferrer or an amateur playing in $15 per hour tennis court.

BodyServe
08-04-2012, 07:27 AM
who cares, gaudio was a mug. only reason he ever won a slam was because he managed to face an even bigger mental clown than he was.

Yet Gaudio had more talent than the guy who won the same tournament 7 times.

Sophitia36
08-04-2012, 08:49 AM
But too much emphasis is placed on Ferrer's

oh well

Exactly, I followed Coria's matches a lot, and I don't remember Coria's height being mentioned nearly as often as Ferrer's.

AsianSensation
08-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Ok will somebody please direct me to where this "vulture" fad started please?

Chris Kuerten
08-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Ok will somebody please direct me to where this "vulture" fad started please?Ferrer started becoming too succesful this year and when that happens people will search desperately to find something to bash the athlete in question. Because he is such a great guy the only thing they could find is his ability to win tournaments.

Allez
08-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Why, wasn't Gaudio also considered short ?

PiggyGotRoasted
08-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Ferrer started becoming too succesful this year and when that happens people will search desperately to find something to bash the athlete in question. Because he is such a great guy the only thing they could find is his ability to win tournaments.

Actually no, it was mostly aimed at Juan Monaco for playing really weak tournaments to get into the top 10 which is true. Ferrer is just a bigger version of that, but atleast he deserves to be top 10 unlike Monaco.