Your opinion on the Canadian players Raonic and Pospisil [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Your opinion on the Canadian players Raonic and Pospisil

FormerRafaFan
08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
What do you think of these two? Do they have potential? How far can they go? I have been banned for being critical of these two players in the players forum, so I guess it's better if we start a discussing about them here in GM instead.

I'll start by saying that I feel like Raonic has potential. I think people here have been too harsh on him, he's not an all serve mug, although that's where his strength is, so of course he'll play to his strength, that's always natural. However, I do agree that he's a bit on the weak side on the BH and ROS. He seriously needs to work on that if he wants to improve and move up the rankings. I also think it's a shame that he seems to have lost some of the mental edge he had when he got his big break through on the ATP tour. It pains me to see him lose all these close matches. He should have won against Tsonga, and he had so many chances too.

Pospisil.. I don't know. I thought he had talent and a lot of potential, but he seems to have regressed a lot lately. He can't seem to win any ATP matches. Maybe he didn't have much there to begin with, maybe I overrated him, I don't know. He certainly hasn't lived up to his potential though. He needs to work on all areas in his game, otherwise he won't even be able to crack top 50. I am now thinking he'll always be a journeyman, and he will never be terribly successful.

Pirata.
08-03-2012, 04:46 PM
queen sokk is back! :worship:

I like Raonic and Pospisil is a cutie :hearts:

FormerRafaFan
08-03-2012, 05:35 PM
queen sokk is back! :worship:

I like Raonic and Pospisil is a cutie :hearts:

Thanks for the welcome.. lol. Can't say I have been watching too much tennis lately though.. all my favorites keep on losing. I don't even have that many to root for anymore.. I do like the Canadians, and Delpo. That's about it.. lol.

Is that all you have to say about them though? Do you think they will be able to move up the rankings? or do they have to improve their games to be more successful?

Julián Santiago
08-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I don´t like Raonic but he can become a solid top ten in the following years.

Pospisil is a good player, I think he can achieve a good position on the ranking, like top 50 or 40.

FormerRafaFan
08-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I don´t like Raonic but he can become a solid top ten in the following years.

Pospisil is a good player, I think he can achieve a good position on the ranking, like top 50 or 40.

I kinda agree with this. Raonic can become a top 10 player, but there's still a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to achieve that. He first needs to be able to beat the top 10, and his BH and ROS are simply not good enough to do that right now. He needs to get working on his BH and ROS ASAP. His forehand actually isn't that bad, I mean, sure, it's not the best on the tour, but it's fine.. certainly better than his BH and ROS. Right now he hasn't fully developed his game, his game isn't complete. He relies too much on his serve and forehand, and it's simply not good enough to beat the top players.

TBH, as much as I like Pospisil, he's a fairly mediocre player. He has no weapons what so ever, everything about his game is ok.. serve, bh, row, fh, but nothing stands out. He's at Challenger level right now, and he needs to work hard if he want to improve and move up the rankings. I'm still not sure about Pospisil. The start of his career seemed promising, but then he regressed, his game collapsed completely, and now I don't see him as more than a simple journeyman. I think he should be happy if he can get to top 50, but I'm not sure if he's even good enough to get into the top 50.. probably not.

Julián Santiago
08-03-2012, 06:23 PM
I kinda agree with this. Raonic can become a top 10 player, but there's still a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to achieve that. He first needs to be able to beat the top 10, and his BH and ROS are simply not good enough to do that right now. He needs to get working on his BH and ROS ASAP. His forehand actually isn't that bad, I mean, sure, it's not the best on the tour, but it's fine.. certainly better than his BH and ROS. Right now he hasn't fully developed his game, his game isn't complete. He relies too much on his serve and forehand, and it's simply not good enough to beat the top players.

TBH, as much as I like Pospisil, he's a fairly mediocre player. He has no weapons what so ever, everything about his game is ok.. serve, bh, row, fh, but nothing stands out. He's at Challenger level right now, and he needs to work hard if he want to improve and move up the rankings. I'm still not sure about Pospisil. The start of his career seemed promising, but then he regressed, his game collapsed completely, and now I don't see him as more than a simple journeyman. I think he should be happy if he can get to top 50, but I'm not sure if he's even good enough to get into the top 50.. probably not.

I agree about Raonic, and he also have to develop a decent foot-working. And of course, try to learn how to play on grass.

But i have no doubt about his future, he`ll become a top ten.

About Pospisil, I agree with you, but acutally, he`s doing well on challenger level this year, so that´s why I believe he can achieve a goo position in rankings if he improve and have more luck on the draws. And don´t forget he`s only 22, in this moment of ennis, he can improve a lot, not like in the past.

Good luck to the canadian players

:wavey:

HKz
08-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I may sound like a broken record, but I find Raonic a bit overrated. Yes he has a tremendous serve, that is a fact, and yes he can put anything away with his forehand but he also misfires a lot.. People talk about his great mental strength, but they do so hypocritically.. I mean many of these same people poke fun at players who struggle mentally at the slams but for some reason praise Raonic's mental strength? I thought slams were what mattered? He had a nice run in Australia last year, but I thought he was fortunate with the draw and certainly with someone as good a serve as him, it is always likely that they can get a couple big wins under their belt. However, look, virtually all the top players know how to exploit his weakenesses and over best of 5 sets, Raonic is just waiting to be dismantled. Compare him to other great servers especially at the slams, and you realize how poor Milos is. It isn't a knock against Milos because again, he is a fantastic player, but I don't see him getting to the top of the men's game for a long time. He has a lot to improve. Karlovic had a bigger serve, was more difficult to break (his break points saved during his best years were fantastic) and he peaked at 11 in the world if I remember correctly, and only had 1 GS QF where he still got outplayed rather easily by Federer.

Yes, he did have "close" matches all year, namely against Federer 3 times, but again, none of these matches were at the slams, and not to mention, it is only natural that these matches become "close" considering his serve, so I think the thought that he "should have won" is a bit misguided. Where were these same people calling Raonic's matches close when Ivo would lose 6/7, 6/7? It is the same thing. Big servers make the scoreline close and put mental pressure on the other player to make sure they don't give up their serve for free, they aren't necessarily forcing the issue.

Might be a bit off-topic to bring someone like Tomic into this, but Bernard is a much better pick IMO to watch for. Yes, Tomic has struggled as of late, but unlike Raonic, Tomic has shown he can really hang with the big boys in best of 5 set matches. He showed his potential against Nadal in Australia, had a good match beating Soderling at Wimbledon, should have pushed Djokovic into a 5th set at Wimbledon and gave Federer some trouble at Davis Cup. Of course Tomic still has loads to work on himself, and of course he does have to take things one at a time, as in win smaller events first, but he has shown his potential, because winning at the slams is a completely different beast than winning 1000s/500s/250s..just ask anyone on the tour :shrug:

So in short, I don't see much potential with Raonic at the slams, but his ranking will most likely go up as he is bound to have good draws for him at smaller events and upset a few top players here and there.

As with Pospisil, I find nothing special about him. Just another younger player with talent but not really have anything more than that. There are plenty of Pospisils on the ATP that can never breakthrough and end up becoming journeymen.

The Prince
08-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Raonic

Peak Ranking: 6-10
Reasoning: Firstly, I feel he's already a very good player. Not much in his game has to change for him to become a top 10 player. However, I don't feel he has much upside beyond that to achieve much more. His serve can get no better, I feel. His ground-strokes will need to be completely remodelled if he wants to be a top 5 player. I can't see him doing that. A player of his game-style has no business at the very top, anyway.

Pospisil

Peak Ranking: 31-50
Reasoning: I like him, I'm a fan, but serve and forehand aside, I don't see anything in his game that can impose itself on an opponent. He moves okay, but doesn't have anything special about him to get him into the top band of players on tour.

Pratik
08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
I'll keep it brief

Raonic: Definitely a top 10 player. Will stay there for a good couple of years. But there is a lot of work to be done. May crack the top 5, but for a very short period. Number 1, almost certainly not. He will go deep in USO 2014-2016

Pospisil: Top 50, for maybe, a year. I really hope he starts playing more doubles though

pusher for life
08-03-2012, 08:09 PM
i watched popsicle only twice
last year in montreal against chela and then federer
he impressed me in both matches and tbh i thought that he would crack top 20 in 2012
so far dissapointing