Hate-free zone to celebrate the great match between Federer and Del Potro [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hate-free zone to celebrate the great match between Federer and Del Potro

LocoPorElTenis
08-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Federer :worship:
Del Potro :worship:
Geniuses! :hatoff:

If you have anything negative to say, there are many other places on MTF where you can do so :wavey:

Motoflou
08-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Good luck. Mental Giant will be here momentarily.

BroTree123
08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Two mugs. End of story.

yesyesok
Del Potro showed a lot of bottle.

He will either take this as a sign he can compete with the best and go on to win more GSs, or he will let it destroy him mentally and disappear again for a while.

Slice Winner
What a match.

LocoPorElTenis
08-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Please ignore the negative comments. This is a hate-free and troll-free zone.

Match of the year :worship: , Del Potro painting the lines on all important points after 4 hours of playing.

Chirag
08-03-2012, 04:01 PM
longest match in best of 3 history :worship::worship::worship::worship:

Breaking the record of Madrid

Motoflou
08-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Crazy match. Delpo was hitting EVERY line for a while there. Some of it was luck, but c'mon....it can't all be luck. :D

It'd be nice to see a Murray/Fed rematch at Wimbledon, no?

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
im so happy

but how can fed recover in time :(

Roamed
Incredible. Both deserved gold.

Mark Lenders
08-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Amazing match. Shame one of them had to lose, but that's tennis.

Both served great, played great and fought their heart out for their nation out there, but only one could prevail. Amazing stuff.

Del Potro played out of his skin on his worst surface against the 7-time champion, but Federer served too well in the end. Hope he doesn't get discouraged, he's on the right path to return where he belongs: in the mix to win big tournaments. Still, must be such a gutting defeat for him and his fans of course :sad:

Smoke944
08-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Great effort from DelPo on his worst surface but far from an amazing match.

The Prince
08-03-2012, 04:04 PM
An amazing contest. Two warriors.

I'm not a del Potro fan, but I felt so bad for him at the end :(

Congrats Roger :)

BroTree123
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Both served great, played great and fought their heart out for their nation out there, but only one could prevail. Amazing stuff.

Del Potro played out of his skin on his worst surface against the 7-time champion, but Federer served too well in the end. Hope he doesn't get discouraged, he's on the right path to return where he belongs: in the mix to win big tournaments. Still, must be such a gutting defeat for him and his fans of course :sad:

Tsonga....now del Potro :bigcry:

Life sucks sometimes :sad:

JediFed
08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Del Potro played a helluva match. :worship:

DjokerFan3
08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Wow I never expected this match to go the distance. I'll admit that I was expecting a rather routine win for Roger in straights, in hindsight, my only reaction is :smash: to that prediction.

Delpo played the best match on his worst surface, it's such a shame that he couldn't pull it off against a 7-time Wimbledon champ. Seeing him crying afterwards made me feel so bad for him, just like I felt so sad for Djoker after Rafa beat him in the 2008 Olympic SF (sorry for going off-topic, but same scenario)

Roger hung in there despite playing quite below par, his net play :tape: and his serve came to his rescue (24 aces!!!) when he really needed it.

duong
08-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Great initiative :yeah:

Del Potro made some unbelievable shots like this diving volley, typical from an olympic event, I must say, tennismen showed in this match that they can reach that Olympic spirit at its maximum despite playing so much the rest of the year.

Fed showed once again how much of a fighter he is, some people say he isn't because he lost many tight matches but actually it's because it's more difficult to play very refined tennis than to hit hard when you're exhausted.

But anyway even if he had lost today, the fact that he very seldom loses important matches another way than with a very tight score shows imo what a fighter he is.

I'm sad for Del Po obviously, I hope he will rather take it as some hope that he can still play as well as he did in the US Open final and win great matches.

Final set Fed 37 winners (11 aces) 17 UE
Del Potro 30 winners (6 aces) 23 UE

Pity it wasn't a final as well obviously :shrug:

barbadosan
08-03-2012, 04:09 PM

You said it so well I don't really need to add anything, but congrats to Fed and commiseration to Delpo. Well played, both of them

LleytonMonfils
08-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Am I still only one who noticed Fed tear up during post match interview?

Shirogane
08-03-2012, 04:11 PM
^^ No you're not ;)

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/9ed6b442-2f8d-44db-8530-f0f8549ccee5.jpg

barbadosan
08-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Del Potro :worship:
Geniuses! :hatoff:

If you have anything negative to say, there are many other places on MTF where you can do so :wavey:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LocoPorElTenis again. Great sportmasnship on your part as well

Wilanderer
08-03-2012, 04:12 PM

He was chocking a little bit, yeah. It means a lot to him, obviously.

08-03-2012, 04:13 PM

good to see a real longest ever 3 set match

nadull's 3 set matches involve 3 hours of injury faking and time wasting

hipolymer
08-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Terrible match from Federer.

bobbynorwich
08-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Great to see Del Po back to playing A+ tennis, but great for Roger to come through for the win. Hoping for a Murray - Federer final, the Olympics final will rock the house.

LleytonMonfils
08-03-2012, 04:16 PM
He was chocking a little bit, yeah. It means a lot to him, obviously.

Yea he basically stopped the interview and walked over to give fans autographs. Didn't want to break down in front of the world like that I suppose.

eskinol
08-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Seriously? That's amazing. Do you mean olympic history or everywhere?

nobama
08-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Longest tennis match in Olympic history. Awesome thing to watch. Shame for DP, he deserved to win the match as much as Fed did. :sad: But so proud of Fed, and seeing him tear up made me cry. Hopefully he's got a bit left in him for the final. :worship:

DJ Soup
08-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Delpo is getting closer... he's getting closer and closer. Step by step...

Who wants to risk AT LEAST a semifinals at the USO

Mystique
08-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Longest tennis match in Olympic history. Awesome thing to watch. Shame for DP, he deserved to win the match as much as Fed did. :sad: But so proud of Fed, and seeing him tear up made me cry. Hopefully he's got a bit left in him for the final. :worship:

You said it all for me.:worship:

Thanks guys, you both put on a terrific show, and brought this tournament alive. Great effort, pity there has to be one winner, but I am so proud of being a fan of both of you! Allez! Vamos! Merci! Gracias!

FiBeR
08-03-2012, 04:23 PM
I just cant put into words how much del Potro and Federer have saved tennis today.

For all of those who thought delPo couldnt play on grass, they ll have to have a change of hearts.

A true fighter dying on his feet. Roger is just GOAT.. and delPo did all he could. he was close, match at hands if it wasnt for the GOATness in RF..

Im so happy to have seen it from start to end :)

JediFed
08-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Most 3 set matches don't go 4.5 hours. ;) So yes, Nadal's record falls.

DJ Soup
08-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Most 3 set matches don't go 4.5 hours. ;) So yes, Nadal's record falls.

half of nadal's matches is him butt-scratching

nobama
08-03-2012, 04:34 PM
This tells you how much we're not playing on grass anymore. :lol:

http://a.yfrog.com/img614/3394/u9zwi.jpg

nobama
08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Here's hoping DP has something left in the tank to go for the Bronze. :sad:

RForever
08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Great match deserves great thread! I appreciate it too LocoPorElTennis :yeah:
Roger serve saved him once more :worship:

IOFH
08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Greatest final set both players have ever played. The sequence from about 7-7 to DP breaking back to love is one of the most insane things I've ever seen on a tennis court.

LocoPorElTenis
08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Things I liked from Del Potro:

1) Insanely clutch, getting a big first serve and/or painting the lines on nearly all big points (exception was the second set tb were he was a bit passive).

2) Consistently hit deep, heavy shots from both wings which made it that much harder for Fed to move him around as he always does.

3) Was decent at the net and at slicing... of course he isn't great at either but he's improving and again makes it more difficult for the opponent to win by just moving him around the court.

4) Especially during the first set, unleashed some ridiculous shots with the FH in pure 2009 style.

LocoPorElTenis
08-03-2012, 04:53 PM
5) Movement on grass has improved dramatically, he doesn't look like an elephant on ice anymore.

6) Despite the 6 losses against Fed this year, despite playing on his worst surface against the surface goat and current best player, he believed he could win.

viruzzz
08-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Great match.
Amazing.

Lazyking
08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Del Potro made a new fan I can tell you that match. Roger is the goat and just wasn't enough, Del po amazing running forehand... Back this up with a bronze now!

manadrainer
08-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Great match from both players.

Del Potro played great on grass, I wasn't expecting such a good match from him.

Fed was very nervous, he knows this is probably his last chance.

chenx15
08-03-2012, 05:00 PM
annacone's mental training on fed seems to work effectively. in the pre annacone era, TMF would just crumble and break down. this time he hangs in there for the long haul. Sorry to JMDP, it shows that his heart is there.

branimir_iliev
08-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I think this was the best match of the tournament so far. The highest quality match for sure.
Delpo should try to take only the positives from this match. Easier said than done but wallowing in self-pity would be ill-advised at this point. Still, I'm glad Federer won. I always prefer to see touch and finesse and thinking tennis prevail over brute force.

Okay, I felt a little sad for Delpo but now I'm over it. The truth is Fed dodged a couple of bullets but so did Del Potro (line-clippers, saved break points, broke back when Fed was serving for the match, etc..).
Still, fabulous tennis from both. Both guys should be proud of what they've done today.
Del Potro will have a great HC season coming up if can maintain this form he displayed today.

tripwires
08-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Thread is as awesome as the match. :worship:

Great fight from both players. Matches like this make me happy that tennis is part of the Olympics.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

Chirag
08-03-2012, 05:12 PM

everywhere I think .That madrid match which was teh record was 4 hours and 3 minutes

Johnny Groove
08-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Awesome match, Delpo has nothing to be ashamed of.

Federer, what else to say? GOAT performance mentally.

LocoPorElTenis
08-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Really amazing from Fed to keep serving missles time after time to stay in the match, and especially after the huge blunder serving for the match the first time.

shadows
08-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Renewed my faith that Del Potro will be adding to that grand slam tally in the future.

What a beast he is when he's on his game.

Fujee
08-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Like Phelps, Roger is now just deciding how many toppings he wants on his sundae

SERBINATOR
08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Well Played Roger! Fantastic match! :worship:

DelPo has become a Serious Contender for the US Open now imo, one things for sure this guy won't end up with just 1 slam

Raiden
08-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Props to both of them. I am a fan of both so for me this was nothing short of magnificent.

Needless to say, Pony played like the real champ he is and has been for a couple of years already.... thru good times and bad times. Oh and 'worst surface' be damned. A real champ shows what he's made of when things are not favoring him.

Absolutely classic. Good times

Fed=ATPTourkilla
08-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Was anyone there? The conditions looked horrible and very windy to me. There seemed to be dust clouds on the baseline.

Yandr001
08-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Great contest. Well done to both guys.

Action Jackson
08-03-2012, 07:20 PM
No, it's not the longest ever match at the Olympics that's nonsense. The 1992 final was 5 hours and no ranking points on offer.

Great effort from both guys, just hope del Potro can take some positives for the rest of the season in spite of losing.

Vinceremo
08-03-2012, 07:22 PM
One does not simply ask for a hate-free zone in MTF.

Matt01
08-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Nice thread.

It was a great match, that's for sure. :yeah:

Thunderfish8
08-03-2012, 07:49 PM
couldn't have asked for a better semifinal

nail-biting till the end, that's the best way for us fans but the worst for the loser of the match

sad for del potro. he was visibly upset at the end and given that he had 0-30 in at least one of Roger's service games, he must have felt completely robbed :sad::sad::sad:

but that's what you get when playing Roger.

was a fantastic match, with most errors being forced
always good to know that both players had positive W/UE ratio

masterclass from both players :worship:

shanks
08-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Awesome stuff Del Potro! :worship: What a match!

Del Potro dominated Federer in the 1st set. Brilliant play.

2nd set & 3rd set Fed was all clutch playing in the wind intelligently.

Fed was serving out of this world just like against Roddick at Wimbly 2009
Fed was also slicing reallY well to Delpo's forehand

Mentally this was probably Fed's biggest win. What a GOAT :worship:

Now, I hope everyone understands why Delpo defeated him at US Open 2009:)

Slice Winner
08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
“I’ve never seen him play so well to be honest, from start to finish, particularly on grass,” Federer said.

Looner
08-03-2012, 11:10 PM
And Fed knows what he's talking about this when he says that. He watches loads of tennis and knows JMDP's game very well. He might be exaggerating but JMDP really volleyed his heart out other :yeah:.

Sunset of Age
08-04-2012, 12:54 AM
I fully approve of this kind, respectable initiative of a thread. :yeah:

JMDP was nothing less than BRILLIANT today, for most of the first two sets - his level of play might just have dropped a notch during the third set, but most of it was the matter of Federer getting a better read on his serve and being able to return it a lot better than in set 1 & 2 I think. Great performance from the Tandil Tower aka The big Huggy Bear from Argentina. :hearts:

Del Potro for Bronze!!!

Arkulari
08-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Juan was amazing, served great, played unbelievable baseline tennis and ventured to the net very well.

Thing is, these days Roger is one resilient mofo and if he really wants something he's hellbent on winning at any cost :lol:

Both men deserve a big big big ovation :worship:

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-04-2012, 01:07 AM
It's okay mate. :D
You always manage to make me smile, for whatever sinister reason. :p

I think Del Po has a good shot to have a Roddick Wimby 09 moment in the US semi against Fed.

Will be magical for DelPo. Please cheer for him.

08-04-2012, 01:09 AM
But I am commending Del Potro
He is truly reaching MTF fedtard level

One day he will be Roddick

Being head slave is a great honor for Fedtards I thought. I for one am cheering for Del Po to achieve his dream.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJJ98t2C6TLClf749bbbUfOMcvmiaYT oGl_CcNZxKxdumwdh23

"why me, he could have picked any player to follow but he had to choose me- and now i have to deal with this kind of BS everyday at GM"

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5PLS9-XuUig2abcLYk_gi120f4xFNuc4kRhwKV7IIVx58Y2aq

"at least del potro was at the olympics- at least he tried- but hey! who's going to tell that to my tard fans- half of them abandoned me when i lost 7 times in a row to nole"

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1PXiWOibQoVXEEUMW8BHN2xWzXTPqu Yc8KXsafzP46kDPJR5V

think ill hide behind this untill they all just go and join the djokovic bandwagon

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXpxMolCKSLs3BDFUxJXOB4avHNy1SA mjTV45H1qG-49Hbio6iaA

i could be having sex with shakira right now- instead im fakng an injury and having to put up with my tard fanbase and all its BS

Sunset of Age
08-04-2012, 01:11 AM
I think Del Po has a good shot to have a Roddick Wimby 09 moment in the US semi against Fed.

Will be magical for DelPo. Please cheer for him.

Bloody hell I will, first of all, for him to take the Bronze Olympic medal.
What comes thereafter... let's just wait and see.

Would be rather nice to finally see JMDP land in a NON-Federer part of the draw, for starters. ;)

JediFed
08-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Would be rather nice to finally see JMDP land in a NON-Federer part of the draw, for starters.

Hey, I'm not complaining when Fed gets him in the Semifinals!

Would you prefer Djokovic?

Edda
08-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Wow! What a match! I am really happy that Roger won, but a good performance from both men.

Mark Lenders
08-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Just rewatched it without the nerves. Heartbreaking as a Delpo fan, but what a match, sublime quality. Match of the year for me.

Delpo :worship: :hug:

Sensational stuff, an attacking spectacle. Great serving and almost all errors were forced, incredible. Too bad one man had to lose, but both deserve huge respect. A fantastic advert to tennis at the Olympic Games.

Han Solo
08-04-2012, 02:25 AM

Yes to all of that.

The poor bastard was interviewed just after the match by the argentine broadcaster on ESPN (I live in Buenos Aires), and he could not look at the interviewer, was just staring at the floor, occasionally grimacing in pain or utter dejection. It was clear he wanted to get away from there...he still had a mixed doubles match to prepare for. It was more heartbreaking to watch than Murray's Wimbledon 2012 runner up speech.

Chirag
08-04-2012, 02:35 AM
No, it's not the longest ever match at the Olympics that's nonsense. The 1992 final was 5 hours and no ranking points on offer.

Great effort from both guys, just hope del Potro can take some positives for the rest of the season in spite of losing.

They said longest best of 3 match in olympics .I think its the longest best of 3 anyway in the open era :shrug: Thats more impressive but no one is mentioning that :confused:

Sunset of Age
08-04-2012, 03:31 AM
R=FK banned.

I don't know whether to be feeling :lol:, :confused:, or :sad: - or all of it at the same time.

C'mon mods, you should know by now that he's a clown. And a very harmless one!
In contrary to many of his precursors and followers, I never saw him do any harm and/or make any insults to any particular poster at all. :(
If I missed something related to that, please inform me so. :mad:

Ah, wrong forum I guess.

R=FK :wavey: :D

abraxas21
08-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Please ignore the negative comments. This is a hate-free and troll-free zone.

no such thing on MTF, mate

dazed1
08-04-2012, 04:56 AM

Please, give me link from that interview bud :(

Satasonic
08-04-2012, 05:06 AM
What a great match it was. If Fed wouldnt be in it, it would be even better (for me)!

Potro managed to paint every single line since the beginning of the first set. In the third set he was broken by some sublime tennis from Fed, only to paint the lines again and break to love, which was kinda :( for me, haha.

The final break however, was just a muggy game from Delpo, Fed didnt really do anything special. It was 2 double faults, 1 winner and 1 unforced error and it was enough in the end.

Great match. I think tiebreaks should not exist, because this way it makes tennis a matter of who wants to win more. Imagine if this was just a tiebreak and Fed would lose, definitely should be no tiebreaks.

Action Jackson
08-04-2012, 06:09 AM
They said longest best of 3 match in olympics .I think its the longest best of 3 anyway in the open era :shrug: Thats more impressive but no one is mentioning that :confused:

No when you say longest match at the Olympics. The Olympics didn't start this year, yes longest 3 set match there is a clear difference.

sexybeast
08-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Can we just celebrate the whole Olympics tournament? I mean this match was just the cherry on the cake on what has been a remarkable tournament, best non-slam tournament I have seen in a very, very long time.

Tennis conservatives would have us belive olympic tennis doesnt matter because it got no tradition, but on the other hand history and tradition is beeing built before our eyes for generations to come.

Rumour
08-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Only watched from 14-14 in the third but was following for a little while before that in the livescore thread and was really annoyed at much of the commentary there from Fedtards :rolleyes: I know emotions are heightened and reason abandoned mid-match but the level of hysteria and, most of all, dismissing JMDP's success to that point as down to pure luck* was absolutely ridiculous. Some of that persisted in the result thread so I'm glad to see one where both fine players can get the plaudits they fully deserve for their excellent and gutsy play in what was evidently an outstanding match :worship:

*Edit: Perhaps it's time I brought back my old Phil Hellmuth signature - but, like with my avatar, I've been too lazy to go back to my old laptop for the necessary files.

Corey Feldman
08-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Fed struggled with nerves and that made it a even playing ground, fantastic match anyway :worship: altho had Fed lost i'd be in turmoil

just hope he's not blown out for the final, the mental toll of being behind pretty much the whole 4 hours, serving to stay in it 12 times, could be more damaging than the physical side.

scarecrows
08-04-2012, 09:08 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/genci/vanpersie.jpg

electronicmusic
08-04-2012, 09:19 AM
RvP surely knows what he's talking about.

Corey Feldman
08-04-2012, 09:22 AM
if he did he would move to Man United

shadows
08-04-2012, 10:02 AM

Yeah as far as I can see it's confirmed to be the longest bo3 in the open era at 4 hours and 26 minutes.

TennisGrandSlam
08-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Salute to Fedcow and JMDP

coluta
08-04-2012, 10:48 AM
:)

@OlympicsTennis

Federer lost 17 games in his epic 3rd set against Delpo yesterday, one more than Serena has lost in the whole tournament #OlympicTennis