Will Del Potro be "back" if he wins the gold medal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Del Potro be "back" if he wins the gold medal?

BAMJ6
08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
To me, a gold medal would back up a US Open win and an ATP Finals loss.

Does anyone feel that way or differently

uxyzapenje
08-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Do you realise how that sounds? Delpo winning the gold? The chances of that are so low that i can't even force myself to think about it. And I even like Delpo and would like him to beat Fed...

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-02-2012, 11:00 PM
no

on form he destroyed nadal 2,2,2

havent seen anything like that yet

Federer in 2
08-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Please don't put the words 'Del Potro' and 'Gold' in the same sentence :facepalm:

stuey87
08-02-2012, 11:03 PM
If he comfortably, or perhaps even just, beats Federer and then Djokovic/Murray + Home Crowd in a row to win the Olympic Gold then he is without doubt "back" to US Open winning form.

Looner
08-02-2012, 11:03 PM
No.

BAMJ6
08-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Please don't put the words 'Del Potro' and 'Gold' in the same sentence :facepalm:

A guy who's won a grand slam can't win a Gold Medal?

Caralimon
08-02-2012, 11:13 PM
I don't think he's ever been "there", but I agree that he needs a big win to boost his confidence. He hasn't had any since coming back from his injury.

WhoCares
08-02-2012, 11:15 PM
A guy who's won a grand slam can't win a Gold Medal?

They are not the same guy.

Chase Visa
08-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Yes but it isn't happening.

viruzzz
08-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I want Roger to win that goldy goldy medal, but I think I'd accept one for Argentina.

however, I'll be 100% on Roger's side tomorrow... But if he wins...

On topic:
Defeating Federer and Nole/Murray in Wimbledon? That's sounds pretty hardcore.

BAMJ6
08-02-2012, 11:25 PM
They are not the same guy.

This isn't Hewitt and Roddick who's talent are diminished and the 3 is the first number in their ages. Juan Martin Delpotro is not so much and the 3 is the second number in his age

LocoPorElTenis
08-02-2012, 11:26 PM
On this forum anything short of winning the CYGS makes a player a mug, loser and failure, but if you look at it objectively reaching the SF here is already a great achievement - Del Potro was an utter mug on grass until last year, and now he's the only player remaining alongside the big (participating) 3. And he hasn't lost to a player ranked below him since January, on any surface. He's clearly improving; he's also clearly, on this surface, well below the level of the other 3 players left in the draw. His breakthrough may come in the hardcourt season.

tennisfan856
08-02-2012, 11:45 PM
the surface is becoming quite controversial, a once in a lifetime type thing. Even if he were to win gold, I would have question marks on how he will handle hard.

I would say a u.s. semifinal/final result would be more promising to me than winning gold on this "grass" surface.

Time Violation
08-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Nope, he can win it, but he's not really "back" if he doesn't back that up with solid results later on. I think this year he has only one semis at majors? Even Ferrer has two semis this year, not to mention top 4 :)

Sham Kay
08-03-2012, 12:13 AM
The guy has only lost 11 matches so far this year, once to someone below his own ranking and six of them to people with several F's and R's in their names, both higher ranked than him of course.

Del Potro has been "back" all year basically, only losing matches you would expect him to lose. But winning gold would just confirm that, plus his significant improvement on grass. Still wouldn't make him the best in the world, so it doesn't change much else.

Alex999
08-03-2012, 12:21 AM
it is very, very unlikely ... we are talking grass, and then beating Fed plus Djokovic/Murray (his h2h against both Nole and Murry is horrible) is almost impossible. I doubt he'll win any medal to be honest with you.

as for 'DP being back' if he somehow manages to win gold, not really sure ... doubt than one too ... he needs to win some masters etc. He hasn't won anything important for a very long time. I wish him luck for sure.

MuzzahLovah
08-03-2012, 12:29 AM
If Del Po beats Fed I will fall of my chair while eating my hat.

Smoke944
08-03-2012, 12:34 AM
silly question because he won't beat Fed

Motoflou
08-03-2012, 12:43 AM
No, but at least I'd start returning his calls.

Topspindoctor
08-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Hilarious topic considering he has zero chance to win gold medal.

PedroMarquess
08-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Hilarious topic considering he has zero chance to win gold medal.

You're wrong. Delpo has 2 or 3 % chance. It's Nadal that "has zero chance to win gold medal"

ossie
08-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Hilarious topic considering he has zero chance to win gold medal.he has more chance than nadal

Topspindoctor
08-03-2012, 02:33 AM
he has more chance than nadal

Nah, I consider their chances about the same.

The Prince
08-03-2012, 02:35 AM
he has more chance than nadal

Irrelevant statement. Why bring it up? :facepalm:

Ibracadabra
08-03-2012, 02:38 AM
No, even if del potro won another slam he would never get back to his 2009 form. Quite simply his injury destroyed him.

Mark Lenders
08-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Whether or not he wins a medal, Del Potro is definitely back, or on his way back anyway. His forehand has been devastating as of late and he has improved his net game and added a more offensive dimension to his game from the back of the court (as opposed to just blasting down the middle and waiting for a short ball). The fact that he's in the semis on grass should tell you enough; he has been slipping under the radar, but those who have watched his matches know how well he's playing.

Let's hope he remains fit and keeps making strides. It'd be great for tennis to have Del Potro back as a legitimate top player and he definitely seems headed that way if this tournament is any indication.

Topspindoctor
08-03-2012, 05:59 AM
He is one match away from being one match away.

Exactly. He is also mere 28 wins away from 'Del Potro slam' :rocker2:

Litotes
08-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Nope, he can win it, but he's not really "back" if he doesn't back that up with solid results later on. I think this year he has only one semis at majors? Even Ferrer has two semis this year, not to mention top 4 :)

No semis so far this year. Q - Q - R16. Best chance coming up.

Litotes
08-03-2012, 06:05 AM
The guy has only lost 11 matches so far this year, once to someone below his own ranking and six of them to people with several F's and R's in their names, both higher ranked than him of course.

Don't think he has eleven losses, ATP gives 40-10. Best win is Tsonga, though. He hasn't even beaten Ferrer (in two tries) let alone top 4. Not that he has played Djokovic or Nadal this year. Or Murray. 0-5 against top-4 is all Federer....

Time Violation
08-03-2012, 07:16 AM
No semis so far this year. Q - Q - R16. Best chance coming up.

One semis on blue clay, lost to Berdych :)

BroTree123
08-03-2012, 07:38 AM
IMO, del Potro has less chance of winning a medal than Nadal.

Litotes
08-03-2012, 09:02 AM
One semis on blue clay, lost to Berdych :)

I see! I am used to thinking of "majors" only in terms of slams. When we include masters, you are completely right.

leng jai
08-03-2012, 09:04 AM

How original.

Litotes
08-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Yeah, well, Nadal's chance of winning a medal is 100%, he has it already, so that's not really news. I am not going to insult you by asking if you meant Nadal winning another medal.

Looner
08-03-2012, 10:52 AM
The last time Roger and Delboy played a 5-setter at RG, Roger lost to him :scared:. Be careful not to lose that turkey, Roger!

Matt01
08-03-2012, 01:44 PM

He has better chances than Nadal. Fact not opinion.

Burrow
08-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Instead of lazily judging level of performance by results and what's written on paper, why not actually try analysing performance first hand for a change?

mooncreek
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM
If he can get past Federer (or Djokovic, if they end up in the bronze medal match), I would be willing to say that del Potro is at least the biggest threat to the main names in majors (in the category of Tsonga

If he wins gold, then yes he's back. He may have gotten fortunate to not face Ferrer but he'll have to beat Federer and another Top 4 player to get gold. He'll be confident and could potentially have the same effect winning Davis Cup had on Djokovic.

eskinol
08-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I would argue that he'd be "back" in terms of confidence with any medal at all. I remember Federer said just winning doubles was a big boost.

And if he beats Federer in the semis of such an important tournament, or can then beat Djokovic/Murray, it'd be really big. As in, not just winning, but winning like this, beating the hardest opponents. Not as big as winning a slam maybe, but pretty huge.

Looner
08-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Wow, expecting great thins from the DelPo now. Hoping he can beat Djoko for the bronze :).

Nole Rules
08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Wow, expecting great thins from the DelPo now. Hoping he can beat Djoko for the bronze :).

Keep dreaming. :lol:

eskinol
08-03-2012, 05:10 PM
So what's the "deal" with Del Potro anyway. Has it basically been injury since 2009 US Open or is his game intrinsically not "stable"? Because when he plays like this he's quite incredible. Federer was more than a little lucky to get through today.

yesyesok
08-03-2012, 05:27 PM
He sorta did this in 2009. Snuck up the rankings, put in a couple of massive performances (v Fed at FO, v Murray in Montreal), despite losing both really taking the game to his opponent, and then he walked the US Open, except the final but he was a deserving winner.

I am definitely going to put a punt on him to win US Open after today.

Johnny Groove
08-03-2012, 06:13 PM
It all depends on how he deals with this loss mentally. Will he let it scar him? Or use it to propel himself to the bronze and a great USO series season?

BigJohn
08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
That fluke USO was nothing but a fluke. Del Flukro is back at what he does best: not winning slams and not winning Masters.

He's been back for a while now.

Matt01
08-03-2012, 07:49 PM
That fluke USO was nothing but a fluke.

You're still bitter about that loss, that's all. Fed won today but Delpo won the match between them that really counts. Delpo's comeback is going great so far no matter how much you want to belittle it. :wavey:

BigJohn
08-03-2012, 08:00 PM
You're still bitter about that loss, that's all. Fed won today but Delpo won the match between them that really counts. Delpo's comeback is going great so far no matter how much you want to belittle it. :wavey:

Hum... Remind me Mattie, what other result would suggest that the USO win was not a fluke? How many Masters does he have to back it up? Any other significant title? Anything?

Because in the absence of other significant result, a fluke it was...

Matt01
08-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Hum... Remind me Mattie, what other result would suggest that the USO win was not a fluke? How many Masters does he have to back it up? Any other significant title? Anything?

Because in the absence of other significant result, a fluke it was...

He's reached the WTF final, won several 500s, and now he's fighting for an Olympic Medal. Use your brain a little for once, Johnny. :kiss: :hug:

Looner
08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Keep dreaming. :lol:

Like how you keep dreaming Roger would lose, right, haterman?

BigJohn
08-03-2012, 08:09 PM
He's reached the WTF final, won several 500s, and now he's fighting for an Olympic Medal. Use your brain a little for once, Johnny. :kiss: :hug:

Hum... So what big title did he win again, apart from the 09 USO? How many Masters? Anything that would suggest that that sole big win was not a fluke... Nothing?

Well then, it was a fluke. (That's how you properly use your brain Mattie :))

Matt01
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Hum... So what big title did he win again, apart from the 09 USO? How many Masters? Anything that would suggest that that sole big win was not a fluke... Nothing?

Well then, it was a fluke. (That's how you properly use your brain Mattie :))

I already posted what he won and achieved but you refused to notice it so now I rest my case, Johnny.

BigJohn
08-03-2012, 08:20 PM
I already posted what he won and achieved but you refused to notice it so now I rest my case, Johnny.

I guess I missed the list of big titles del Flukro won since his 09 USO victory that Mattie posted...

Actually no I did not. There is nothing on that list that qualifies as a big win. So you rest your case on nothing Mattie. That's why you're so adorable.

;)