2012 Olympics QF: Del Potro overcomes Nishikori, 6-4 7-6(4) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2012 Olympics QF: Del Potro overcomes Nishikori, 6-4 7-6(4)

LocoPorElTenis
08-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Delpo was leading comfortably in both sets, choked when serving each of them (when serving for the match he made two dfs and gave the break with a df) but regrouped and got it done in 2.

Del Potro is moving better on grass, during patches his FH was on fire but he's way too inconsistent to threaten any of the other 3 semifinalists so he's a very long shot for a medal.

Federer in 2
08-02-2012, 05:20 PM
How Ferrer let this happen is beyond me.

tealeaves
08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
This SF lineup is gonna be the best. Fed-Delpo, Nole-Andy

Slade
08-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Del Potro choked quite a bit but I'm glad he got through.

Ferrer has been avenged.

Fujee
08-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Kei :sad: hard luck.

Delpo, make it worth it!

lucyfur
08-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Vamos!:aparty:

Geo
08-02-2012, 05:31 PM
solid win for Del Potro, and a nice run by Nishikori. I wonder if being so close to winning a medal now will fire up Del Potro further. You all know Ferrer would have come in 4th place so let's not bemoan his upset yesterday :spit:

Moozza
08-02-2012, 05:34 PM
solid win for Del Potro, and a nice run by Nishikori. I wonder if being so close to winning a medal now will fire up Del Potro further. You all know Ferrer would have come in 4th place so let's not bemoan his upset yesterday :spit:

Del Potro is not beating any of the other 3 on grass. No way.

Travod
08-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Aw Nishikori :( But QF is like tied for his best performance (with AO this year I think) and this seems to be his best year in slams, so he should keep on moving up.

Mark Lenders
08-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Not a great match, unfortunately, and the outcome was NID. Bad matchup for Kei + his fatigue. Even a below par Delpo was too much for him today.

But Kei had a very good run and saved tennis yesterday. Unfortunately, he didn't get a medal for his efforts, but if he remains healthy and improving the good results will come naturally, look forward to seeing him in the American hardcourts.

As for Delpo, great result. He's not likely to win a medal (although he has a chance) but putting himself in a position to do so on a surface he struggles on so much is amazing already. Also look forward to see him in the American hardcourts, he has played very well this week.

chewy
08-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Good run from Kei here, being the lowest ranked player reaching the QF but I think he expects even more from himself.

Ferrer beats JMDP
Kei beats Ferrer
JMDP beats Kei
...all on grass

Paylu2007
08-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Good run from Kei here, being the lowest ranked player reaching the QF but I think he expects even more from himself.

Ferrer beats JMDP
Kei beats Ferrer
JMDP beats Kei
...all on grass

:haha: rock, paper, scissors.. just like the top 3 last year XD

BroTree123
08-02-2012, 05:56 PM
It's been a great tournament for both guys.

Sophitia36
08-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Too bad... I would have liked to see Nishikori get through, or at least make it a 3-setter. I don't like DelPo's game that much. And a medal for the Japanese would have been cool.

chewy
08-02-2012, 06:09 PM
:haha: rock, paper, scissors.. just like the top 3 last year XD

And these matches are all played on some of the biggest stages in 2012 IMO(Wimbly and Olympics)
The problem is all three of them have gone on to lose in the next match after beating each other.

Kei's my favourite player but I happened to like and respect all three so it's very frustrating!
Yet they've done considerably well compared to other players outside the top 4 so far this year.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-02-2012, 06:12 PM
kei will get to the top of the game if he keeps on playing well

emotion
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
How Ferrer let this happen is beyond me.

Agreed. Though really, this happens whenever an easy draw opens up for a big title.

For the love of god, please don't let del Potro medal

Fat Camel
08-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Boring.
I thought this Olympic will be much more interesting...Almost no upsets at all.

chewy
08-02-2012, 06:53 PM
kei will get to the top of the game if he keeps on playing well
But sometimes it's still discouraging when I watch him play a match like this one against JMDP.
Then again he did served bagels to 2 top 5 players and I love the first set in which he played against Berdych in Monte Carlo earlier this year. When he's in the zone, it's mesmerising tennis.

cutesteve22
08-02-2012, 07:38 PM
good for tennis.

Vinceremo
08-02-2012, 07:46 PM
It was a solid match from Juan, his movement issues on the surface were clearly exposed at times but he countered them with the usual big hitting, remaining patient and playing well the key points despite the missed chances to close the match quicker.

Thunderfish8
08-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Not a great match, unfortunately, and the outcome was NID. Bad matchup for Kei + his fatigue. Even a below par Delpo was too much for him today.

But Kei had a very good run and saved tennis yesterday. Unfortunately, he didn't get a medal for his efforts, but if he remains healthy and improving the good results will come naturally, look forward to seeing him in the American hardcourts.

As for Delpo, great result. He's not likely to win a medal (although he has a chance) but putting himself in a position to do so on a surface he struggles on so much is amazing already. Also look forward to see him in the American hardcourts, he has played very well this week.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!?

this is a completely normal and nice post with the exception of this tidbit.

why can't you post like a normal human fucking being??

enough already
we get it, you don't like ferrer
continuing to explain how him losing saves tennis more than 24 hours after he loses is absolutely ridiculous
get your shit together lenders
we both know how relieved you were yesterday because if ferrer had made it through yesterday, delpo would be on a flight to canada right now
he is lucky to be in the semis

he's one of my favorite players but its 100% true