More important: Olympic Gold or slam final? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

More important: Olympic Gold or slam final?

August
08-01-2012, 06:18 PM
What's more important, winning Olympic Gold or reaching a slam final? You can always cakewalk yourself to a final, but to win a tournament you are at least in theory the best participant. But the seeding system makes it difficult for a mug to cakewalk to a slam final, runner-up isn't always the 2nd best player, but usually at least 3rd or 4th best. And things like BO3 and top players already thinking about USO make winning Olympic Gold easier. To reach a slam final, you almost surely need to beat a focused top player in BO5.

Jovard
08-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I would choose even bronze medal over a GS final.

Chirag
08-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Slam final by a mile

Respectfully
Chirag

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Slam final by really really far away

bounccer
08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Winning > Losing

Hope this helps

stanch
08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Good question. Still, GS final, I think.

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Winning > Losing

Hope this helps
Slams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Olympics

Hope this helps

Apophis
08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Most players themselves would probably choose the gold medal, and do I

shadows
08-01-2012, 06:30 PM
I'd take Olympic gold in front of a home crowd.

Also I think Olympic gold for a country who doesn't get many would be nice too.

Slam final is pretty close though.

nole_no1
08-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Winning a slam is more prestigious than winning the Olympic gold

LOSING in a slam (doesn't matter if it's in a final or earlier) can't be better than WINNING the Olympic gold :shrug:

bounccer
08-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Slams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Olympics

Hope this helps

You know nothing about athlete's spirit if you think they would take a defeat over a gold medal.

uxyzapenje
08-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I dont mean to be rude, but shut up. Do we rly need 5-6 threads asking 'is this more importan than that'? Evrybogy is going to rank achievements subjectivly and I can undesrstand OG vs WTF, but come on. Next thing you know we wil have 'Is ATP250 SF more important then a Chellenger title?' thread.

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 06:43 PM
You know nothing about athlete's spirit if you think they would take a defeat over a gold medal.

That´s because i´m not an athleth. But as a sport achievement, reaching the final of a Slam is by far more important than to win an Olympic Medal, because Slams are by far more important than Olympics.

Is like reaching the final of a TMS vs WInning a 250 tournament...

Of course if I were a tennis player I´d choose the Medal, but we must be serious, in this sport is by far more important the GS. They are the most important competition, not the Olympics.

And also, excepto for this Olympics, which are played on a historic place, winning in Atlant, Seúl, Pekin, is not more important than reaching the final in such places like Roland Garros, WImbledon, Us Open and Melbourne.

There´s impossible to establish a comparation between those events

Looner
08-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I cannot express my disdian at the idiocy of these threads. Have we not had enough. We have men's singles and doubles AND Washington. Please stop with this BS. Please...

IOFH
08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
How the hell can you compare stuff like this? :rolls:

DJ Soup
08-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Delpo's prestige > Massu's prestige

Gaudio's prestige > Massu's prestige

hope that helps

Johnny Groove
08-01-2012, 08:21 PM
I'd rather win the Olympic Gold w/o a shadow of a doubt.

Nole Rules
08-01-2012, 08:39 PM
LOL what a dumb queston. Of course winning the gold medal.

motorhead
08-01-2012, 08:52 PM
these polls on what is most important are for mugs.

motorhead
08-01-2012, 08:53 PM
it's really like asking what's more important: banging a good-looking gf or having a nice car.

Chris Kuerten
08-01-2012, 08:56 PM
You would've got the same poll results with a simple ''Are you a fan of Murray?''.

August
08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
these polls on what is most important are for mugs.

Accidentally read:

these polls on what is most important for mugs. Com'on one not winning a slam is a mug.

dencod16
08-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Delpo's prestige > Massu's prestige

Gaudio's prestige > Massu's prestige

hope that helps

HE said a gold medal or a runner-up in a slam. don't get your reasoning

motorhead
08-01-2012, 09:04 PM

:eek:

Featherer
08-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm quite sure that the vast majority of tennis players would prefer the Gold medal here.
20 years ago that would have been different maybe, since the rank/prestige of the Olympics in tennis has become higher since then.
Of course the Slams are still much more important and you can earn more money at them.
But humans are not only driven by money.
Normally people want to be the best and not the second best.
(Well, there is a limit somewhere. Nobody would prefer a Challenger title over a Slam final.)
And people want to be famous (in their home countries for example), which is more likely with a Gold medal than with a runner up finish at Wimby, even for Murray.

Andi-M
08-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Would you rather win $100 or lose $1000?

Lazyking
08-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Slam winner >OG Gold medal >>>slam final.

DJ Soup
08-01-2012, 10:01 PM

fair play, I didn't realize

Andy1402
08-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Slam winner >OG Gold medal >>>slam final.

This.
God, but enough with these threads. I think we have about 6 of them already. The problem is that answers are always gonna be highly subjective depending on which player they support.

leng jai
08-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Is the medal chocolate filled? I can't make a judgment until this is clarified.

BroTree123
08-02-2012, 03:05 AM
An Olympic Gold. It's not like it comes around often in your sporting career. For slams, not to mention there are 4 every year, you have plenty more chances in the future.

But in terms of "making a living" and making history in tennis (rather than sport in general) then GS is definitely more important in that regard. But that doesnt mean that my opinion is correct.

Again it's a subjective view based on perspectives regarding either tennis in general, or the perspective of representing your nation in a rare event. Which is more important, is too subjective.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Olympics are quite overrated, almost as Rihanna.

+1000

ugly ass bitch
teaches girls to be sluts to get fame and money
along with jay z- freemason devil worship in her music
cries over a slap she got
and 2 years later riding chris browns dick all over again

classy lady

Brick Top
08-02-2012, 03:16 AM
+1000

ugly ass bitch
teaches girls to be sluts to get fame and money
along with jay z- freemason devil worship in her music
cries over a slap she got
and 2 years later riding chris browns dick all over again

classy lady

Shut up you paranoid, we need more girls like her. You should hit a monastiry :wavey:
To the topic, I will take a gold medal thank you very match, it is a venue that happens every four year, while in slams even brainless mugs like Tsonga or Berdych can reach a slam final!

rickcastle
08-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Olympic gold. Reaching a slam final is a great achievement but in the end, you still didn't win and is left with one of the more disappointing moments of your life.

Mountaindewslave
08-02-2012, 04:15 AM
I'm shocked this poll is so close.... you guys clearly have no idea of the prestige when comparing the two.

there are many top players out there who say that the DAVIS CUP victory for their respective country's was one of their best and most important memories in their careers, and you don't imagine that the Olympic Gold would mean an immense amount too?

Olympic Gold by a huge huge margin. A slam final is fantastic, but it says you ALMOST go there. an olympic gold, you represented your country and fought to make them proud in a way that can never really be done by making a final of a grand slam final. you have opponents vying for their national pride in their country, and besides the love for one's family there is often no greater love than for one's home country.

almost all pro players would say the Gold. It is a much rarer thing to achieve and something that will be remembered. frankly, besides us tennis nuts on here, the majority of tennis fans in all countries do not remember all of the grand slam finalists over the years. they do always remember the Olympic Gold winner though.

Olympic Gold >>>>>>>>>>>> Grand Slam Final.

- Win vs. Loss
- More Prestige vs. Less Prestige
- Biggest Patriotic Event in World vs. one of four Biggest tournaments in a year
- 1/4 years vs. 32/4 years (finalist opportunities that is)

it's really not even close at all, you all voting Grand Slam final are clearly casual fans of not only tennis but also sports in general if you are so out of whack not to understand how important the Olympics are for any tennis player and PARTICULARLY for that player's country. sad

Johnbert
08-02-2012, 06:50 AM
is this a serious question?! :unsure:

dencod16
08-02-2012, 06:55 AM
This.
God, but enough with these threads. I think we have about 6 of them already. The problem is that answers are always gonna be highly subjective depending on which player they support.

If your a naive fan, maybe. I'm a roddick fan but i still think that i will trade all his slam runner-ups for a gold.

Johnbert
08-02-2012, 07:13 AM
If your a naive fan, maybe. I'm a roddick fan but i still think that i will trade all his slam runner-ups for a gold.

of course winning > losing. always has been and will remain so forever.

better question would be gs-final or olympic-medal (silver/bronze)...

Roy Emerson
08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Olympic Gold

Elaka Farmor
08-02-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm shocked this poll is so close....Olympic Gold by a huge huge margin.

But if you have to choose between a wimbledon final (lost against Federer) vs a "free" gold medal in olympics; the final is a walk over because the other player is sick.

TennisGrandSlam
08-02-2012, 08:09 PM

YES

GS Winner >>> Olympic Gold >> Olympic Silver > Olympic Bronze > GS Runner-up :devil:

finishingmove
08-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Winning > Losing

Hope this helps

The above.

TennisGrandSlam
08-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Review Beijing Olympics 2008,

For Women's Singles:

Dementieva (Gold)
Safina (Silver)
Zvonareva (Bronze)
Li Na (4th) :o

Dementieva > Safina > Zvonareva > Li Na

But Review Grand Slam,

Dementieva (RG 2004 Runner-up, UO 2004 Runner-up)
Safina (RG 2008 Runner-up, AO 2009 Runner-up, RG 2009 Runner-up)
Zvonareva (WM 2010 Runner-up, UO 2010 Runner-up)
Li Na (AO 2011 Runner-up, RG 2011 Winner)

Li Na > Dementieva > Safina > Zvonareva :devil:

branimir_iliev
08-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Imo: Slam runner-up silver dinner plate > olympic silver, bronze
olympic gold > slam runner-up silver dinner plate

UNLESS you are Federer right now and really, really aching for an olympic medal in singles, then even olympic silver or bronze in singes he would rather take at this point than another slam runner-up silver dinner plate (as he has plenty of those anyway). :)

TennisGrandSlam
08-03-2012, 04:46 AM
Dementieva is a counter example.

She won Olympic Gold and 2 Slam runners-up

If mentioning her achievement, which placed first :devil:

Chirag
08-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Dementieva is a counter example.

She won Olympic Gola and 2 Slam runners-up

If mentioning her achievement, which placed first :devil:

those 2 runner ups of course :sobbing:

Johnbert
08-03-2012, 08:29 AM
those 2 runner ups of course :sobbing:

:hysteric:

fluffyyelloballz
08-03-2012, 08:42 AM
If the question means that in your career you get to experience either one as the highlight, then one would have to say winning Olympic Gold.
Winning in the final of the Olympics would be such an amazing feeling of achievement of having closed out such a big match.
Reaching a major final, and that being the pinnacle of your career might leave you with a sour taste in the mouth that you could not close it out.
Rosset and Massau, who never made slam finals, would probably put their Olympic medals as the highlights of their career. Players like Gonzales or Bagdatis, whose greatest achievement was a lone major final, probably list that day as their most memorable but won"t have walked away with the pride and fulfillment of the Rossets and Massau's. Close maybe, but no cigar.

August
08-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Actually I think a player with a slam final and Olympic gold would be referred as an Olympic champion rather than AO/RG/SW19/USO runner-up, at least in mainstream media. And for comparision a player with a slam final and YEC title would be referred as AO/RG/SW19/USO runner-up rather than YEC champion. So, I guess Olympic gold > slam final > YEC title.

Roger the Dodger
08-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Prestigious thread.

August
08-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Olympic Gold by a huge huge margin. A slam final is fantastic, but it says you ALMOST go there. an olympic gold, you represented your country and fought to make them proud in a way that can never really be done by making a final of a grand slam final. you have opponents vying for their national pride in their country, and besides the love for one's family there is often no greater love than for one's home country.

Well, what would be more important for an Australian/Frech/British/American player, win Olympic gold for his home country or reach his/her home slam's final?

TennisGrandSlam
08-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Olympic Gold + Slamless vs Silver Grand Slam (Olympic Silver + AO title + RG title + Wimbledon title + USO title)?

What you want to prefer?

samanosuke
08-04-2012, 10:55 AM
slam final

JanKowalski
08-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Olympic Gold + Slamless vs Silver Grand Slam (Olympic Silver + AO title + RG title + Wimbledon title + USO title)?

What you want to prefer?

What does this question have to do with this thread?

n8
08-04-2012, 02:17 PM

What you want to prefer?

My sanity.

Chirag
08-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Actually I think a player with a slam final and Olympic gold would be referred as an Olympic champion rather than AO/RG/SW19/USO runner-up, at least in mainstream media. And for comparision a player with a slam final and YEC title would be referred as AO/RG/SW19/USO runner-up rather than YEC champion. So, I guess Olympic gold > slam final > YEC title.

not with Dementieva who is referred to as a player who never got the slam title(best to never win a slam) than as a olympic champion :sobbing:

TennisGrandSlam
08-04-2012, 03:34 PM
My sanity.

Dementieva = Slamless Olympic Gold :devil:

MaSha = Silver Grand Slam :rolleyes: (Swapped by S Williams)

henke007
08-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Slam Final>>>>>>>>>>><Olympic Gold

Parera_Starr10
08-04-2012, 04:14 PM
A medal at the summer games would mean so much more.

August
08-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Well, what would be more important for an Australian/Frech/British/American player, win Olympic gold for his home country or reach his/her home slam's final?

Well, Brits can now answer this, even if Andy's gold was special that in came from home OG.

Moose Limb
08-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Hard to believe that this is even close. People vehemently suggesting a Slam Final is laughable.

A player will have 16 opportunities to obtain a Slam Final in four years, yet just one opportunity for even a Bronze Medal.

Comical that this is so close, really.

rafa_maniac
08-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Seriously? Better question would be Slam RU vs Silver/Bronze medal. While Slams are the ultimate prize and RU a worthy showing, at least with the medal you've "won" something and done it for your country to boot.

manadrainer
08-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Seriously? Better question would be Slam RU vs Silver/Bronze medal. While Slams are the ultimate prize and RU a worthy showing, at least with the medal you've "won" something and done it for your country to boot.

This.
Silver >>> plate

therefore gold >>> silver >>> plate

:)

Bad Religion
08-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Being a R-UP in slams is a bitter memory.

rocketassist
08-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Murray will be remembered here as an Olympic champion now. He may or may not break the GS jinx, but no one will be forgetting this victory in a hurry.

It's like the relay in athletics isn't the biggest race, but the 4 men who beat the Americans in 2004 are still idolized here despite not winning the 100m or 200m.

So yeah GS > Gold > GS finalist

That doesn't make Massu's career better than Tsonga or Berdych though far from it, cause Massu wasn't consistent enough despite the biggest title.

thrust
08-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Same here, stupid question! Why would anyone rather be a losing finalist than an Gold Medal winner?

SheepleBuster
08-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Olympics is as important as my sparring session with the loser down my street. It ain't matter. Nada. Zilch. Nobody gives a shit about it. And all you geniuses here, Massu won the Olympics too. lol. Yes. Whatever

hadouken!
08-08-2012, 12:39 AM
So yeah GS > Gold > GS finalist

Agreed with this. Winning > Losing :lol:

hadouken!
08-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Olympics is as important as my sparring session with the loser down my street. It ain't matter. Nada. Zilch. Nobody gives a shit about it. And all you geniuses here, Massu won the Olympics too. lol. Yes. Whatever

Why all the hate for the Olympics? :lol: It seems to matter to a lot of top players these days.

Honestly
08-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Did Massu or Rosset ever make a slam final? Didn't think so.

Next.

MuzzahLovah
08-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Oh haters :haha:

stewietennis
08-08-2012, 01:10 AM
What's more important – winning or losing?
Who's more remembered, a gold medallist or the finalist at the 1974 Australian Open?

rocketassist
08-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Did Massu or Rosset ever make a slam final? Didn't think so.

Next.

Rosset's gold >>>>>>>>>> any slam runner up

Juz78
08-08-2012, 02:14 AM

Has this clown been living under a rock for the last week and a half?

The WORLD cares, you sad bitter little person.