Federer playing doubles in Olympics a strategic blunder? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer playing doubles in Olympics a strategic blunder?

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Hi everyone. My first post/thread here in MTF, so I'll try to be brief.
I'm apprehensive about Federer playing both singles and doubles. I'm thinking he may have fooled himself in trying too hard to please his country and his doubles partner. Maybe he is afraid of disrespecting Wawrinka were he to have more strategically shirked this whole 'responsibility' ahead of time...

But this niceness could cost him in singles. He is almost 31 after all. This is where Federer gets a little infuriating sometimes - and I say this as a fan. He gets so cute and nice and Swiss-civilized sometimes, that it's like you want to slap him... gently, and for his own good of course.

Maybe he should have blown the whole doubles 'obligation' off. He risks burning out if and when he goes deeper in the singles draw. Wasn't gold in singles his main goal anyway? I don't know, your guys' thoughts?

Btw, pleased to be here and a pleasure to meet everyone!

viruzzz
08-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Good first post, mine was just something like "Go Tsonga!".

It's a big question mark right now... It's true that Roger's 30 years old right now, but it is also true that he has enough experience to know when to turn in his "God-Form".
ATM we can't say so much, it's just wednesday. But I think this will be an interesting point to be aware of.

Chris Kuerten
08-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Only will make a difference if he has a 20-18 match in doubles.

He'll just cut back the training hours.

Andy1402
08-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Nope. It's not an error because the Olympics are not about his personal glory. It is about national pride and federer wants to make sure he can give as many medals as possible.
This way, he has a chance to have two gold medals. It doesn't matter if he wins the medal in singles or doubles ( contrary to what nadtards might say, Olympic medal isn't important in ATP).
Also, it's a short tournament and fatigue won't play much of a role. Serena won both singles and doubles in Wimbledon, which is a long tournament.
Excellent 1st thread btw, and welcome to the board.

iriraz
08-01-2012, 08:36 AM
In Olympics the goal is trying to bring home a medal.It doesn`t really matter if it`s singles or doubles.As long as he is in both events the chances to get a medal increase.Also in these best of 3 sets things can go quickly.A couple of bad minutes and match is over.And by beeing in both events he feels he has 2 lives.If things go bad in one event he can try and bounce back in the next.
Sure it would be tough if he had to play finals in both events(best of 5) but then he will gladly take it as he is guaranteed 2 medals.

HKz
08-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Well, it could certainly be problematic, however, Federer doesn't play too many taxing points/games and doubles isn't too debilitating either, especially on grass. Either way, he is smart enough to cut back on outside physical activity in order to stay fresh for singles.

I think he'll be fine. If he loses in either singles or doubles, I sincerely doubt it will have anything to do with him playing both.

E: Getting gold in singles is certainly more important to him right now, but I'm sure he would rather have a medal in doubles than no medals at all.

outrider
08-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Nope. It's not an error because the Olympics are not about his personal glory. It is about national pride and federer wants to make sure he can give as many medals as possible.
This way, he has a chance to have two gold medals. It doesn't matter if he wins the medal in singles or doubles ( contrary to what nadtards might say, Olympic medal isn't important in ATP).
Also, it's a short tournament and fatigue won't play much of a role. Serena won both singles and doubles in Wimbledon, which is a long tournament.
Excellent 1st thread btw, and welcome to the board.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I am sure he wants to win singles medal much more than doubles medal

You can not be clear in mind if you doubt that.

mark73
08-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Doubles on grass is less tiring then a brisk walk. Mcenroe used to play doubles all the time as a substitute for practicing.

BackhandDTL
08-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I think we have to consider the benefits of competing in Doubles.

It's a good way for him to keep his form on his off days. There's no substitution for match play; no form of practice can simulate the feeling of a real match. It's a great opportunity for Roger to sharpen his skills in a pressurized environment. It's important to consider, too, the emphasis on serve and volley in Doubles, and how this can help his grass game specifically (he could certainly use it after how poor his net game looked for most of Wimbledon).

Knowing that he has an event to fall back on should he fall out of one of the fields might even relieve some of the weight on his shoulders in Singles, and I'm sure he's lightened up his practice sessions to compensate for the added work load.

Andy1402
08-01-2012, 08:49 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I am sure he wants to win singles medal much more than doubles medal

You can not be clear in mind if you doubt that.

I do doubt that. If this were a grand slam or an atp tournament, he would concentrate on the singles. But in the Olympics, a medal is what matters. It could come from the singles or doubles. If what you say is true, it would make no sense for federer to expend his energy in the doubles event at all.

manadrainer
08-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Well I am worried too. With this idiot scheduling they postponed two of his double matches, and now if he's to reach the final in both events he'll need to play two matches for three straight days.

It's unlikely since they have the bryans in the quarters but still...

lleytonluver2005
08-01-2012, 09:20 AM
I think that they will have a good chance against the Bryan brothers since they beat them in the quarterfinals stay at the Beijing Olympics.

cardio
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
They ( = top pros ) used to play singles + doubles ALL THE TIME on slams, some played even mixed doubles and went deep into draw. It meant 7 singles matches + 6 doubles matches, all in best of 5 format.

Playing singles only is last 20-year invention and now players get little taste of what was everyday life on tour for old school pros like Mac or Edberg.

Nothing new or heroic here, and I think everyone needs little backup chance if he fails in singles.

Looner
08-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Well, the good thing is that they face the top doubles team very early on (provided they win today) and so if they beat them their chance of getting gold will be quite high and they'll know it. If they lose, RF gets to focus on his singles quest.

I also think it may be a blessing in disguise if RF's a bit more tired after the Olympics as he'll then skip Toronto and focus on his bread and butter tournament in Cincy. Resting will be crucial for the USO.

wfrw07
08-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I think that they will have a good chance against the Bryan brothers since they beat them in the quarterfinals stay at the Beijing Olympics.

Semis, not Quarters....just FYI

duong
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
May be true in the end (supposedly if Fed reaches SFs of both singles and doubles he should play 2 matches everyone of next 3 days, and doubles's third set may last very long), but Wawrinka helped him a lot in 2008 : the win in doubles in the Olympics really pumped him back to win the US Open.

Then he owes it to Stan.

Besides, I still hope they can do something in Davis cup although I don't like the way the French-speaking Swiss media (I don't know about the German-speaking ones : probably they have more understanding to Fed) and some of their people look at Fed very coldly, very critically and as a given, clearly that's Swiss mentality (I'm French and I know how much the French are critical to their own compatriots but the Swiss add some coldness to that, as Wawrinka himself noted a few months ago)

Fed has always said that he mainly sees Davis cup as a way to be with his friends, esp. Allegro and Chiudinelli and of course many others he's known in the past. Stan is different because he's younger and he emerged when Fed was already a top-player but still Fed owes him something for 2008.

Besides, I think Fed has clearly given a very big priority in the Olympics rather than Toronto, which I regret but well :shrug:

He says points are short on grass and in doubles but well he could have very long matches in doubles, and if he meets Isner in singles like Tsonga yesterday :unsure:

And he's not the only one concerned : Tsonga, Tipsarevic, Ferrer, Lopez are the same.

duong
08-01-2012, 10:58 AM
By the way, one interesting sentence in his interview after Bennet's match because I remember someone hoping he would play more doubles later :

I hope I can keep it up in doubles in a few years

http://2012.itftennis.com/media/125372/125372.pdf

Anyway I think he still has some hopes in Davis cup in the future.

Sri
08-01-2012, 11:18 AM
I don't think mismanagement of schedule is something Federer can be accused of. If there's one thing he does well, it is this.

As someone else noted, he'll just turn down number of training hours if doubles is too much of a physical burden.

Plus I think he even wanted to play the mixed doubles with Hingis. :)

JediFed
08-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Well - it's basically 4 months left on his tennis career.

August, September, October and November.

Fed has a packed schedule to play through but after this, what's left?

The QF streak? The finals streak? There's nothing stopping him from playing every MM tournament + the slams over the next few years.

Whiznot
08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Not a blunder at all. Federer is not worried about Olympic singles results--He'll be fine. Playing doubles gives the Swiss a second chance for a medal. Roger is having fun and, for him, that the point of competing.

IOFH
08-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Looks like it's all going to plan atm. Fed has to fight against not only the opponents, but also the organisers desperately trying to get him out of the way for Murray to swoop in. At grandpa age as well, no shame. :sad:

Litotes
08-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Looks like it's all going to plan atm. Fed has to fight against not only the opponents, but also the organisers desperately trying to get him out of the way for Murray to swoop in. At grandpa age as well, no shame. :sad:

Oh, come on. What's with the "grandpa" jibes? I see you are 22 now. Do you really think your own children will make you a grandfather in eight year's time?

Looner
08-01-2012, 12:37 PM
When you're in the top 5 for wins of all time and have played >1300, then yes. You're a grandpa in tennis terms. Fed is just that amazing.

Litotes
08-01-2012, 12:41 PM
When you're in the top 5 for wins of all time and have played >1300, then yes. You're a grandpa in tennis terms. Fed is just that amazing.

What does that make Agassi? Great grandpa? And I suppose Connors was great-great grandpa and Rosewall was great-great-great grandpa. Why not just call him 30, or if you can't wait another week, 31?

IOFH
08-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh, come on. What's with the "grandpa" jibes? I see you are 22 now. Do you really think your own children will make you a grandfather in eight year's time?

:facepalm: You can't honestly believe I think 30 is a grandpa-age? I was just exaggerating to aid my point.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-01-2012, 12:50 PM
i always thought fed and stan could be the bet doubles team in the world
fed could play well into his late 30s as a doubles player and a part time singles player

Fujee
08-01-2012, 12:51 PM
If he wins both, will he become the most decorated Swiss olympian? (sorry if I have made a sporting history faux pas)

IOFH
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
fed could play well into his late 30s as a doubles player and a part time singles player

I believe they are the best doubles team in the world right now. They have enough experience from playing with each other that it isn't a problem. Luck and chance plays a big part in BO3-grass matches but if they get to play Bryans they are the favourites for me.

ServeVolley
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Career boxed set coming up! :rocker2:

samanosuke
08-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Fed should finish his doubles campaign at Olympics somewhere in October

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 12:54 PM
In the past top players played singles and doubles in every event, so there`s no problem with that, it`s simply that we are not used to that. But, there`s no real problem with playing doubles and singles, Federer is not 80 years old...

Litotes
08-01-2012, 01:01 PM
If he wins both, will he become the most decorated Swiss olympian? (sorry if I have made a sporting history faux pas)

No, the ski jumper Simon Ammann has four gold medals. But you are forgiven for not knowing that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Ammann

Burrow
08-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi everyone. My first post/thread here in MTF, so I'll try to be brief.
I'm apprehensive about Federer playing both singles and doubles. I'm thinking he may have fooled himself in trying too hard to please his country and his doubles partner. Maybe he is afraid of disrespecting Wawrinka were he to have more strategically shirked this whole 'responsibility' ahead of time...

But this niceness could cost him in singles. He is almost 31 after all. This is where Federer gets a little infuriating sometimes - and I say this as a fan. He gets so cute and nice and Swiss-civilized sometimes, that it's like you want to slap him... gently, and for his own good of course.

Maybe he should have blown the whole doubles 'obligation' off. He risks burning out if and when he goes deeper in the singles draw. Wasn't gold in singles his main goal anyway? I don't know, your guys' thoughts?

Btw, pleased to be here and a pleasure to meet everyone!

Yes, like avoiding to play Davis Cup time and time again.

It's ridiculous to even think that the doubles will sabotage his singles goals.

To answer the thread title: No.

Motoflou
08-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Why does Roger have a "medic" symbol on his shirt?

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 01:28 PM
It`s the swiss flag, they have the Red cross sign, but with inversion of the colours

Motoflou
08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
It`s the swiss flag, they have the Red cross sign, but with inversion of the colours

I was just trollin'. :D

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Yes, like avoiding to play Davis Cup time and time again.

It's ridiculous to even think that the doubles will sabotage his singles goals.

To answer the thread title: No.

Federer played more than 50 matches in Davis Cu. It`s not his fault if the Swiss dind´have a competitive team over the years...

By the way, What about Qureshi not playing in the last tie for Pakistan?

Juz78
08-01-2012, 01:36 PM
How can it be a blunder to give as much as you can to your country to try and win more medals. I mean I even think he wanted to do the mixed as well with Hingis. Playing doubles for Roger would be less effort than a normal mid-week training session. Don't forget the Olympic singles are also only 3 set matches.

Olympics is all about your country... it's one of the only times he should be "Swiss-civilised" and feel obligated.

Hats off to the old man!

Burrow
08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Federer played more than 50 matches in Davis Cu. It`s not his fault if the Swiss dind´have a competitive team over the years...

By the way, What about Qureshi not playing in the last tie for Pakistan?

Yes, 27 matches played before he won his first Wimbledon and only 28 afterwards. Your argument makes no sense, he played more matches when they didn't have another solid singles player. I'm not blaming him for avoiding Davis Cup, I'm just saying that he doesn't "get so cute and nice and Swiss-civilized sometimes, that it's like you want to slap him".

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
He`s the numer 1, he has to play a lot of matches, it`s impossible winning the Davis if you don´t have a good team. Pakistan is a good example by the way.

And about Swiss civilization and this. Are silly things, truly eurocentric crap.

But you cannot said thaat Roger didn´t play Davis Cup a lot, and also he saves Switzerland a lot of ocassions.

Burrow
08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
He`s the numer 1, he has to play a lot of matches, it`s impossible winning the Davis if you don´t have a good team. Pakistan is a good example by the way.

And about Swiss civilization and this. Are silly things, truly eurocentric crap.

But you cannot said thaat Roger didn´t play Davis Cup a lot, and also he saves Switzerland a lot of ocassions.

You're totally missing the point.

How can you compare Pakistan to Switzerland? Best player in the world + former top 10 player, solid top 25 player capable of beating almost anyone in the world and a good doubles player who is experienced in the biggest stages. If Federer did bother to turn up and play some of the crucial matches like in 2009 where they could have went all the way to the final or in 2007 where Switzerland, without Federer, narrowly lost to Spain in Geneva, he might have actually stood a good chance of winning a Davis Cup.

Yes, Federer won matches in play-offs and first rounds but he didn't follow it up afterwards when it could have really mattered. I'm not saying he's done a disservice to his country like you're trying to imply, I'm merely stating that what I quoted is very debatable.

rocketassist
08-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Fedtards' attitude towards team tennis is just :facepalm:

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Sorry but Lammer, Chiudinelli, Allegro, they are not great players don`t you know that?

You can´t win a Davis Cup without a great team, that´s why i compare the situation to Pakistan Davis Cup, which has only 1 good player.

Here´s the same, of course that in a really higher level, but Switzerland can only stay in the World Group or adavance to QF or SF as a maximun, without better players, the can´t win the Davis Cup.

Burrow
08-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Sorry but Lammer, Chiudinelli, Allegro, they are not great players don`t you know that?

You can´t win a Davis Cup without a great team, that´s why i compare the situation to Pakistan Davis Cup, which has only 1 good player.

Here´s the same, of course that in a really higher level, but Switzerland can only stay in the World Group or adavance to QF or SF as a maximun, without better players, the can´t win the Davis Cup.

You don't need umpteen great players to win a Davis Cup. Only 2 players are required to play an entire tie. Federer would more or less be required to play 3 matches, but that's hardly an issue to him. If they had to rest Wawrinka, Allegro or Chiudinelli would hardly be a a big liability in doubles.

tennis2tennis
08-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Unless you’re injured ala rafa there’s no reason not defend an Olympic medal

mooncreek
08-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Whenever you enter both singles and doubles at an event like Wimbledon, you run the risk of the rain screwing up the schedule. There is no way Roger doesn't enter the doubles in this situation. Remember that Roger and Stan won the gold because his singles loss forced Stan to step up and carry his countryman.

Lastly, a medal is a medal. Roger may want that singles gold to complete the collection but, if he should lose, he'd still aim for doubles gold because it's for his country.

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks to everyone taking the time to post. Will try to reply to as many people as possible but if I miss someone, my apologies.

viruzz- No worries! "Go Tsonga!" is a good start btw. I hope you're right about the god-mode. It's just that age seems to be the underlining factor for me.

gustavo- I guess that makes sense. I suppose he could always use the doubles as a practice session although not sure if a practice will be as intense and as draining as an actual match of any sort (singles or doubles). I could be wrong though..

Andy1402- Thanks! Yes, I always found national pride a bit overrated. Not a fan of nationalism or patriotism but that's a personal thing I guess. I see what you're saying though. That it could be a 'big deal' for Roger. Bigger than risking fatigue and reducing one's chances for singles gold though? Federer must be a pretty big nationalist then, though he never struck me as one..

Hkz- good points! It's true he tends to keep the points short and sweet. Matches too but that Soeda/Nishikori match actually turned into a match. That's what worries me, lol.

iriraz- Interesting. Did he get 'greedy' in his thought process then? If that's not the right word, then let's just say, 'aiming too high'. Either way, that may be his downfall. I know I should sound more optimistic about the guy I root for but can't help being worried in this case, lol.

cardio- Good historical lesson. I did not know that, so thank you. But at what age did they do this? 31? And in what time frame and against what kind of competition?

Looner- if I were to venture a guess, I would say the same thing, or nearly. Great post. Yes, maybe he's trying to not put all of his eggs in one basket. And if they do beat the Bryans then they do have an even better chance, don't they.

manadrainer- me too! ;)

lleyton- yes, which brings us to Looner's point.

duong- good points. The deeper he goes in both events, the more the attrition becomes a factor. Isner is a daunting prospect. But what people sometimes forget is that Federer is very underrated at reading serves and eventually adapting to them. I think his loss to Isner this year had more to do with the crappy surface than anything else..

JediFed- he's got to be more selective at this age though, don't you think? I mean he's no spring chicken and he runs the risks of injury and/or burning out prematurely. I'd like to keep seeing him play for another few years, hence my worry.

whiznot- fair enough. Thanks.

iofh- true, lol. Not to mention the bad draws he's been getting the past year +. Now he gets a slightly decent draw for a change (arguably) and some of his antifans are up in arms about it, lol.

litotes- I think people say 'grandpa' in terms of tennis age. Like say, 'doggy years'. Like your dog could be 12 yo by the calendar but in doggy years that's considered ancient. Same in tennis. Agassi was an exception to, imo, certainly not the 'rule' in tennis. Rosewall, Laver, Connors played in different, arguably much less intense eras.

julian- in tennis terms though, he's way past what's considered prime (22-26). I know he's not 80 but close to 31 and such a packed schedule could be detrimental. Of course, I hope I'm wrong..

Burrow- I don't know if he avoids playing Davis Cup so much as he doesn't prioritize it. He's played Davis Cup, but for one, his Swiss team is kind of limited, to put it generously, and two, Federer has always emulated Pete Sampras in that respect. I think there are some things he gives precedence over (majors, WTF, etc). If that indicates an 'avoidance' trait in his character with respect to team events, then why push for doubles now? It's strange. It seems more like ambivalence and something that sits on the lower end of his priority scale. Imo.

JediFed
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
he's got to be more selective at this age though, don't you think? I mean he's no spring chicken and he runs the risks of injury and/or burning out prematurely. I'd like to keep seeing him play for another few years, hence my worry.

It's four more difficult months, during the part of the season that he loves the most. Is that too much to expect for him to keep fit and healthy for it all? I don't think so. He can take the time off next year when the super 9 are no longer mandatory for him. :drive:

Burrow
08-01-2012, 04:53 PM
You do realise that you don't need 5 solid players to win a Davis Cup? And the fact that there's only one other solid player should make him want to play it even more, if he's as patriotic as you initially implied in your first post. I'm not slandering him, I just wouldn't make him out to be David Nalbandian. :)

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 04:56 PM
mooncreek- just saw your post. Good points. The rain was actually supposed to help in the sense that the roof comes into play. And that's an added bonus for Federer. Not saying he needs it to win of course, or like some of his antifans seem to suggest. But it doesn't hurt either..

Now, I think like some others have suggested and something you bring up is that he may be hedging his bets so to speak. But sometimes when you hedge your bets, you run the risk of being mediocre in everything, as opposed to exceptional in one thing, due to fatigue. So it could backfire on him. Again, hope I'm wrong..

Andy1402
08-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Andy1402- Thanks! Yes, I always found national pride a bit overrated. Not a fan of nationalism or patriotism but that's a personal thing I guess. I see what you're saying though. That it could be a 'big deal' for Roger. Bigger than risking fatigue and reducing one's chances for singles gold though? Federer must be a pretty big nationalist then, though he never struck me as one..

The Olympics are quiet short, just more than a week. These are professionals who are used to gruelling schedules months on end. That is why fatigue won't really matter imo. Also, it helps that these matches are best of 3 (except the finals).
Hell, serena won both singles and doubles championship at Wimbledon. That has got to be more stressful.

duong
08-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Yes, 27 matches played before he won his first Wimbledon and only 28 afterwards. Your argument makes no sense, he played more matches when they didn't have another solid singles player. I'm not blaming him for avoiding Davis Cup

that's what top-players usually do : they play, and usually win Davis cup when they're young, and when they are at the top of the rankings they often avoid Davis cup, except if they have a great great team who can win without him (Sampras's or Wilander's case in the past, Nadal's case now who graciously comes to play a final).

Federer is not at all a special case for that. What's only special about him comparing to former greats is that he didn't win Davis cup when he was young.

When Djokovic has won Davis cup AND reached the top of the rankings, he's done the same as Fed : avoid it to concentrate on other priorities :shrug:

People now say "oh Djokovic loves Davis cup and Fed skips it completely" : it's just that they compare players at very different stages of their carreer.

If you took Federer at the moment Djokovic won Davis cup, Fed had been even more implied than Djokovic and had played and won more ones. The difference is that he didn't win Davis cup because at one moment, you need a Tipsarevic to beat Berdych and Stepanek or a good doubles partner.

Now tell me about other players who have been greatly implied in Davis cup : Nalbandian, Hewitt, Melzer, Nieminen, Baghdatis ... but comparing Fed to Djokovic and Nadal and saying that they're more attached than him to it is completely blind-speaking.

Besides, some players who are not top-top-players but who give everything in Davis cup mainly do it ... because that's the only competition they have a good chance of winning.
Nalbandian is a little bit in that case, it's not only a matter of "patriotism" as some think. The same for Wawrinka : in his situation he will of course not skip Davis cup :shrug:
Safin also was in that case in the last part of his carreer ;)
The top-French players are the same : only Tsonga has a chance of winning something big, and he knows it's much harder to win a slam than to win Davis cup. It's obvious making efforts in Davis cup in such circumstances :shrug:

Besides, Burrow : I disagree with your points that it's so easy winning a Davis cup with only one good partner, playing both singles and doubles. It's very tough and it's better doing it when you're young and in very good health, that's also why many top-players won Davis cup at a young age. Davis cup anyway is a team competition, it's not an individual trophy as some make it sound.

Burrow
08-01-2012, 05:20 PM
that's what top-players usually do : they play, and usually win Davis cup when they're young, and when they are at the top of the rankings they often avoid Davis cup, except if they have a great great team who can win without him (Sampras's or Wilander's case in the past, Nadal's case now who graciously comes to play a final).

Federer is not at all a special case for that. What's only special about him comparing to former greats is that he didn't win Davis cup when he was young.

When Djokovic has won Davis cup AND reached the top of the rankings, he's done the same as Fed :shrug:

People now say "oh Djokovic loves Davis cup and Fed skips it completely" : it's just that they compare players at very different stages of their carreer.

If you took Federer at the moment Djokovic won Davis cup, Fed had been even more implied than Djokovic and had played and won more ones. The difference is that he didn't win Davis cup because at one moment, you need a Tipsarevic to beat Berdych and Stepanek or a good doubles partner.

Now tell me about other players who have been greatly implied in Davis cup : Hewitt, Melzer, Nieminen, Baghdatis ... but comparing Fed to Djokovic and Nadal and saying that they're more attached than him to it is completely blind-speaking.

You are completely and utterly missing the point.

I give up.

All I initially said was that I disagree with the complete exaggeration of this "He gets so cute and nice and Swiss-civilized sometimes, that it's like you want to slap him".

And comparing him to those other guys is completely pointless, he has won all there is to win, except the Davis Cup, so why not dedicate at least 2 full years to it?

duong
08-01-2012, 05:25 PM
All I initially said was that I disagree with the complete exaggeration of this "He gets so cute and nice and Swiss-civilized sometimes, that it's like you want to slap him".

I also disagreed with it, but was it necessary for that to go in such a digression on Davis cup ?

I think Fed may be nice to Stan but patriotism I don't think is his trip (and is not a big deal in Switzerland at all), and I approve him for that, because what people call "patriotism" is often stupid and even imo (and especially in countries like France and Switzerland where people don't have a strong sports culture and are very easy at criticizing the compatriots who don't "give" them the win)

And comparing him to those other guys is completely pointless, he has won all there is to win, except the Davis Cup, so why not dedicate at least 2 full years to it?

and how do you know he doesn't and won't ?
he played this year : they just lost, it happens, even to Fed :shrug:
last year he played all matches as well ... in group I.

in the latter years, Federer had illnesses/injuries several times in february (mono in 2008, lung infection in 2010 for instance) and they had horrible draws like playing Spain in Spain or the USA in the USA. He was not in a good condition to play.

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 05:30 PM
You do realise that you don't need 5 solid players to win a Davis Cup? And the fact that there's only one other solid player should make him want to play it even more, if he's as patriotic as you initially implied in your first post. I'm not slandering him, I just wouldn't make him out to be David Nalbandian. :)

No, I think I understand what you're saying Burrow. It's true you don't need exactly 5 great players. But it helps to have maybe more than one. So that you don't bank on that one all the time, as he may or may not be consistent enough, or caring enough even.

Two counterpoints though, if I may: Swiss usually aren't 'crazy' nationalist about things in general from what I've heard from people I've talked to who had actually spent some time there(and I could be wrong as this is purely anecdotal). And I'm sure Roger and Stan like each other, as much as one Swiss man could possibly like another but it's possible that DC is just not super-high on their priorities list. Whereas with certain other countries, they go quite nuts about stuff like that. I was born in Bulgaria, though I'm Canadian/American/Bulgarian now by upbringing and Bulgarians and Balkanites in general can get quite, let's just say, zealous when it comes to proving something about their nation and/or heritage. Now I'm not like that but I'm more of an exception along these lines. Usually Bulgarians are pretty nationalistic/nostalgic/patriotic. But I've noticed Spaniards, Americans, French can care quite a bit about national themes and such. Federer may say he does but reading between the lines we don't know how much he in fact does and how high of a priority DC is for him.

The other point would be, is whether he peaks in time for Davic Cup. He may not really be scheduling himself properly for DC and as seriously as say for a slam or WTF. This is interrelated with how much he gives a damn about DC to begin with. These tend to be mutually inclusive things in tennis (peaking in form/attitude toward a certain event).

And if I implied that I thought he were patriotic in my first post, then my fault for being unclear. I think sometimes with Roger, and maybe I'm being harsh, he is too nice. He has a tendency to always want be the good guy in the public eye. Nothing wrong with that, and I think he is, as much as this is humanly possible. But in this case it could backfire. So with the feverish pitch that preempts the Olympic games maybe he gave in to peer pressure and decided to 'defend' his past glory and honor with Wawrinka in men's doubles circa Beijing 2008. So that Switzerland doesn't see him as selfish and arrogant, or Wawrinka, or even the world, as is the case.

Or maybe he's hedging his bets like some others have suggested and it's not about being too 'nice'. Either way though it could come back to haunt him. That is, if he ends up being mediocre in both, and exceptional in neither. Which, is not to say, that as his fan, I hope I'm dead wrong about this..

Thanks for the replies, btw.

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
The Olympics are quiet short, just more than a week. These are professionals who are used to gruelling schedules months on end. That is why fatigue won't really matter imo. Also, it helps that these matches are best of 3 (except the finals).
Hell, serena won both singles and doubles championship at Wimbledon. That has got to be more stressful.

Certainly I hope you're right and that this is the case. I guess we'll find out.

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Besides, Burrow : I disagree with your points that it's so easy winning a Davis cup with only one good partner, playing both singles and doubles. It's very tough and it's better doing it when you're young and in very good health, that's also why many top-players won Davis cup at a young age. Davis cup anyway is a team competition, it's not an individual trophy as some make it sound.

I agree. I'm not sure how this spiraled off into a DC discussion but isn't DC a team event by definition? And I'm not sure that Federer ever had access to a team like Djokovic or Nadal have had access to. Besides you have to peak for it and bring a serious desire for it. Both of these I'm not sure are very high on Federer's priorities list (being healthy, peaking at the right time, and bringing the attitude for it). And even if they were higher when he was younger, again he didn't have access to the same resources that some others do.

Also, I think Djokovic used his DC 2010 wins as a springboard for his 2011 season. For him it was an evolutionary step to bring himself up to par with Federer and Nadal, whereas Federer never really quite needed the DC along with all the other factors I mentioned (desire/peaks/team resources).

Arkulari
08-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Roger has to play 3 straight bo5 matches and win them all to make Switzerland go ahead in a tie, to win DC, he'd need to do so several times in a year, in between GS, M1000 & other tournaments.

Neither Nole nor Rafa had to do the same, they were only required to play 2 matches at most, in fact most times their mates had the ties done so they only played 1.

Next year he's not forced to play any M1000 due to age & # matches requirement so he might give DC a serious shot.

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks to everyone taking the time to post. Will try to reply to as many people as possible but if I miss someone, my apologies.

julian- in tennis terms though, he's way past what's considered prime (22-26). I know he's not 80 but close to 31 and such a packed schedule could be detrimental. Of course, I hope I'm wrong..

Thank for your response. But i´m still thinking that he will not fall. The schedule and the weather is a bit complicated, but Roger only play one doubles event this year, and he has taken holidays recently, so I think he can handle this.

But i´m not sure how he was going to be In Cincy or The Us Open, but right now, I think he can handle this, and especially because her mate is not playing singles anymore in this tournament.

:wavey:

viruzzz
08-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Okay he lost in doubles.
Time to focus on singles.

duarte_a
08-01-2012, 06:21 PM
No more doubles. Gues not even ROger can pick up mugrinka's slack.

Looner
08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Why did this turn into a Davis cup discussion again :stupid:. Seriously. He's lost the doubles now so I hope he concentrates on singles or at least gets a medal.

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Okay he lost in doubles.
Time to focus on singles.

I was just going to say, lol. I guess this topic is kind of a moot point now. You know, in a weird way we should sort of thank Erlich and Ram, whoever they are, for doing Roger a favor in the long run. I hope the Maestro unleashes his full fury now on whoever the next victim is going to be. His concentration should be fully on the singles event now.

August
08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I guess Fed is more disappointed than Fedtards after this doubles loss, and Fedtards would be more disappointed than Fed if Fed didn't win singles Olympic Gold.

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I guess Fed is more disappointed than Fedtards after this doubles loss, and Fedtards would be more disappointed than Fed if Fed didn't win singles Olympic Gold.

I´m completely disgusted about this result. Not all of us are that tards who wont him to lose "because he can rest" WTF :o

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Why did this turn into a Davis cup discussion again :stupid:. Seriously. He's lost the doubles now so I hope he concentrates on singles or at least gets a medal.

I don't know Looner! :) But I do know that it has left me temporarily scarred with a slight case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I think I am going to develop an 'avoidance' character trait now for DC discussions in general.

Or if we're going to critique Roger Federer, let's preferably discuss his controversial taste in men's clothing fashions (for some). Anything but DC, please, lol!

Pratik
08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I was just going to say, lol. I guess this topic is kind of a moot point now. You know, in a weird way we should sort of thank Erlich and Ram, whoever they are, for doing Roger a favor in the long run. I hope the Maestro unleashes his full fury now on whoever the next victim is going to be. His concentration should be fully on the singles event now.

:facepalm: Ram is a three time GS winner. Elrich and Ram have won AO together. They have been a team for most of the past 10 years

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 06:50 PM

He's got Olympic gold in doubles though, so how disappointed can he possibly be? Maybe a little. But his disappointment is probably tempered with the subconscious relief that he can focus more on the singles now and not worry about two events at the same time.

I think this loss could be a blessing in disguise. Who knows.

Also, nothing wrong with us "Fedtards" who'd like to see him at least get A medal in the singles event. I don't think he's ever done that, so.. And if that makes us "tarded" then so be it. I didn't wish him to lose in doubles but at the same I don't like to see him spread thin at this age either and open himself up to certain vulnerabilities (like fatigue, a separate focus, etc). Does that make one a "tard"? I still wish him the utmost best, but sometimes you have to be realistic. Winning gold in singles and doubles in men's competition was a bit of a stretch..

rocketassist
08-01-2012, 06:53 PM
He's out now. Glory-obsessed Fedtards can calm the fuck down.

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 06:56 PM
:facepalm: Ram is a three time GS winner. Elrich and Ram have won AO together. They have been a team for most of the past 10 years

That was tongue in cheek. I was being humorous. Anyway, yes, I'm aware of who they are, though I don't follow them closely.

HeretiC
08-01-2012, 06:58 PM
No more doubles. Gues not even ROger can pick up mugrinka's slack.

I did not watch the match today, but yesterday it wasn't Roger who was picking up Wawrinka's slack.

duarte_a
08-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Win some lose some. Roger's won a lot more than he lost and he already has a singles doubles gold medal.

No one is saying he wouldn't like to win another one in doubles but it is what it is.

And the fact is he now has more time to focus on singles it's just a fact. And the fact that he still is in the singles also makes this defeat easier to deal with.

duarte_a
08-01-2012, 07:01 PM
I did not watch the match today, but yesterday it wasn't Roger who was picking up Wawrinka's slack.

Yesterday they were both muging it up else they wouldn't have lost a set to the japanese.

manadrainer
08-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I would have been sad if they kept the original schedule (playing doubles quarterfinals yesterday). Now I think it's more a blessing in disguise, and I hope he can focus on singles which won't be easy to win but still.

A doubles match like the one Berdych/Stepanek lost today would have surely ruined his chances for single's gold. Hope he can go as far as he can.

BackhandDTL
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but in his post match interview today Federer likened the Olympics to a sprint rather than a marathon. He explained that the best of three format means he never gets tired.

I guess it's easy to overlook how great a shape he's in (training for five setters and all) when most of his immediate contemporaries are struggling with ailments and injuries.

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 07:20 PM
He's out now. Glory-obsessed Fedtards can calm the fuck down.

I don't know, I think some of us got past name calling in the second grade. You can make your point without necessarily bullying those who don't agree with you. You can say anyone who chases success in a field is 'glory-obsessed'. It's a circular sort of reasoning. And fans are attached and concerned by definition. The sky is blue sort of thing...
So what?

Fans simply want to see their guy succeed in something he hasn't quite done before. What's wrong with that? And I never rooted for him to fail today in doubles. I just questioned whether one's investment in both events at this stage in his life (31/doubles gold) is really smart. I felt like maybe he's stretching himself too thin, physically and mentally, but of course I didn't root for him to fail. That would be silly. I kind of joked about how this loss may be a blessing in disguise and how we can (tongue in cheek) thank Erlich and Ram. Is humor a crime? Are nonstandard questions regarding your favorite player a crime? We don't all have to be typical fans, is that a crime too?

Calm down, would be my advice to you. And don't immediately resort to insulting people who you don't happen to agree with because it diminishes your integrity. Maybe hear them out first and talk to them before going for the playground insults.

evilmindbulgaria
08-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't know, I think some of us got past name calling in the second grade. You can make your point without necessarily bullying those who don't agree with you. You can say anyone who chases success in a field is 'glory-obsessed'. It's a circular sort of reasoning. And fans are attached and concerned by definition. The sky is blue sort of thing...
So what?

Fans simply want to see their guy succeed in something he hasn't quite done before. What's wrong with that? And I never rooted for him to fail today in doubles. I just questioned whether one's investment in both events at this stage in his life (31/doubles gold) is really smart. I felt like maybe he's stretching himself too thin, physically and mentally, but of course I didn't root for him to fail. That would be silly. I kind of joked about how this loss may be a blessing in disguise and how we can (tongue in cheek) thank Erlich and Ram. Is humor a crime? Are nonstandard questions regarding your favorite player a crime? We don't all have to be typical fans, is that a crime too?

Calm down, would be my advice to you. And don't immediately resort to insulting people who you don't happen to agree with because it diminishes your integrity. Maybe hear them out first and talk to them before going for the playground insults.

Oh, boy, you are up for a rude awakening at this tennis forum.

Houstonko
08-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I think we have to consider the benefits of competing in Doubles.

It's a good way for him to keep his form on his off days. There's no substitution for match play; no form of practice can simulate the feeling of a real match. It's a great opportunity for Roger to sharpen his skills in a pressurized environment. It's important to consider, too, the emphasis on serve and volley in Doubles, and how this can help his grass game specifically (he could certainly use it after how poor his net game looked for most of Wimbledon).

Knowing that he has an event to fall back on should he fall out of one of the fields might even relieve some of the weight on his shoulders in Singles, and I'm sure he's lightened up his practice sessions to compensate for the added work load.

Poor net game at wimbledon u must be kidding, thats how he won wimbledon.

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
I´m completely disgusted about this result. Not all of us are that tards who wont him to lose "because he can rest" WTF :o

I never said anything about wanting him to lose. In fact, I didn't root for him to lose just right now. Shocking to some here apparently, I know. I was worried he may have spread himself too thin, both physically and mentally, playing both events at this age (30-31) under this context (he already had won gold in doubles/so the necessity of it is questionable). I felt like maybe his niceness as a person, his sense of duty and honor, pushed him in this direction but that's not to say I wanted to see him fail in doubles so that he could prosper more in singles. Never said that. In a dream world, he wins gold in singles and doubles. But if you ask me at which event would I like to see him be most successful at in this particular Olympics circa London 2012, given that we could choose only one success at one event in the real world, then my personal and honest answer has to be, the singles event. Can't we question some of the things our favorite players do? Does being a fan mean being a fanatic who never questions anything or can never be humorous about their 'sports idol'? Sports doesn't have to be dogma, and your idol doesn't have to be above your critical thinking. You can 'love' someone and still be constructively critical or even, gasp, sarcastic about certain traits of theirs. To me it's not all or nothing. As Clint Eastwood said, "You used to be able to disagree with people and still be friends."

But apparently this philosophy makes one a "tard".

Houstonko
08-01-2012, 07:53 PM
You don't need umpteen great players to win a Davis Cup. Only 2 players are required to play an entire tie. Federer would more or less be required to play 3 matches, but that's hardly an issue to him. If they had to rest Wawrinka, Allegro or Chiudinelli would hardly be a a big liability in doubles.

Who can win davis cup with a lousy team ? Rafa can win 5 of them it dosen't matter. A strong roster matters in DC, Federer and wawrinka to play all matches? Thats ridiculous. And is Wawrinka even good enough to beat a top 25 player for sure? U are not going to be unpredictable in tactics with just 2 players. Its not gonna work when team game and coaching is allowed.

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I never said anything about wanting him to lose. In fact, I didn't root for him to lose just right now. Shocking to some here apparently, I know. I was worried he may have spread himself too thin, both physically and mentally, playing both events at this age (30-31) under this context (he already had won gold in doubles/so the necessity of it is questionable). I felt like maybe his niceness as a person, his sense of duty and honor, pushed him in this direction but that's not to say I wanted to see him fail in doubles so that he could prosper more in singles. Never said that. In a dream world, he wins gold in singles and doubles. But if you ask me at which event would I like to see him be most successful at in this particular Olympics circa London 2012, given that we could choose only one success at one event in the real world, then my personal and honest answer has to be, the singles event. Can't we question some of the things our favorite players do? Does being a fan mean being a fanatic who never questions anything or can never be humorous about their 'sports idol'? Sports doesn't have to be dogma, and your idol doesn't have to be above your critical thinking. You can 'love' someone and still be constructively critical or even, gasp, sarcastic about certain traits of theirs. To me it's not all or nothing. As Clint Eastwood said, "You used to be able to disagree with people and still be friends."

Hey, I´m not talking about you, I´m talking about some members on the livescore thread when this match was going on

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Oh, boy, you are up for a rude awakening at this tennis forum.

Probably true, lol. It's alright though I have a moderately thick skin. It's immune to most verbal attacks. Physical, lol, that's another matter.

I think sports fans are passionate people and when they hear something they think sounds wrong/silly they may jump the gun with the intensity of their replies. Although the best approach is to at least try to understand where the other side is coming from. I make this mistake too sometimes(being quick to judge or to get inflamed), so by no means do I pretend to be perfect or anywhere close in fact. But at least nowadays, as I've gotten older, I try to listen without resorting to easy insults. Because that's cheap and juvenile.

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Hey, I´m not talking about you, I´m talking about some members on the livescore thread when this match was going on

Sorry then, my bad. :sad:

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Well, re-reading your post, I think the same. But i disagree about his body, like you know, I think than he can handle the two competitions, because his particular style of playing and because he played really a few doubles matches in a year.

And also, he went to te Doubles draw because is always a possibility of glory (like Massu), or a possibility of hapiness if you were eliminated in singles.

I know that´s very difficult to win the two competitions, but i wanted him to reach the medal match in both competitions, I don´t think that´s was so difficult. But unfortunately he lost.

Also, i prefer by a kilometre a Gold Medal in singles, but I always wanted him to win, so I can understand people who wanted him to lose, and this not only happen right now, it´s the same when he plays evente like Basel, or when he´s fihgting for a mactch in Montecarlo, Halle, etc, the tards wanted him to lose "so he can prepare the important things". Some of these people said months ago that he should "retire for his fans" if he is going to lose a lot of matches. I really can understand this attitude at all and I can´t found words in my poor english to express how wrong they are.

But, like I said, I´m not referring to you.

:wavey: And please, don´t tke MTF so seriously, because is full of insane people and perhaps they`ll try to get you mad

IOFH
08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
:spit: a country isn't winning DC with 2 good players, that's completely unreasonable. They have to play pretty in every leg almost every match, which would be way too much while trying to maintain a competitive schedule, especially for a guy like Federer.

Completely different if you have 2 other guys (Tipsy and Troicki) and Spain is just laughable (Nadal wouldn't probably have to play at all and they still could realistically win.

Julián Santiago
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
:spit: a country isn't winning DC with 2 good players, that's completely unreasonable. They have to play pretty in every leg almost every match, which would be way too much while trying to maintain a competitive schedule, especially for a guy like Federer.

Completely different if you have 2 other guys (Tipsy and Troicki) and Spain is just laughable (Nadal wouldn't probably have to play at all and they still could realistically win.

At last. That´s exactly what I´m trying to said. And in the case of Swizerland, for a lot of years before Wawrinka appears, they only have a poor doubles specialsit (allegro), a semi-retired and finally retired (Rosset) and 3 mugs (Bohli, Lammer and Chiudinell, all of them from the Roger generation).

Then you only have Wawrinka and the 3 mugs, no doubles specialsit, nothing else. It´s impossible to win the Davis Cup

branimir_iliev
08-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Well, re-reading your post, I think the same. But i disagree about his body, like you know, I think than he can handle the two competitions, because his particular style of playing and because he played really a few doubles matches in a year.

And also, he went to te Doubles draw because is always a possibility of glory (like Massu), or a possibility of hapiness if you were eliminated in singles.

I know that´s very difficult to win the two competitions, but i wanted him to reach the medal match in both competitions, I don´t think that´s was so difficult. But unfortunately he lost.

Also, i prefer by a kilometre a Gold Medal in singles, but I always wanted him to win, so I can understand people who wanted him to lose, and this not only happen right now, it´s the same when he plays evente like Basel, or when he´s fihgting for a mactch in Montecarlo, Halle, etc, the tards wanted him to lose "so he can prepare the important things". Some of these people said months ago that he should "retire for his fans" if he is going to lose a lot of matches. I really can understand this attitude at all and I can´t found words in my poor english to express how wrong they are.

But, like I said, I´m not referring to you.

:wavey: And please, don´t tke MTF so seriously, because is full of insane people and perhaps they`ll try to get you mad

Agreed. Reaching medals in both would have been quite something.
Oh and thanks for the good advice Julian. Yeah, I am trying not to take it too seriously, maybe just a little surprised at how quickly people go for the jugular here, lol. But it's all good. I am learning. :) Slowly but surely.

rocketassist
08-01-2012, 08:47 PM
So what?

:rolls:

BackhandDTL
08-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Poor net game at wimbledon u must be kidding, thats how he won wimbledon.

As I clarified before, his net game was atrocious for most of Wimbledon. He cleaned it up by the semis and finals, but it was letting him down badly before that. Just look at the Benneteau match if you need a reminder, and if you still think it looked good, "u must be" blind.

Jimnik
08-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Playing singles is a strategic blunder.

Federer4Everer
08-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Fed loss in doubles opens up possibility that Nole can become "most medaled" in open era. it would only take 3 total medals to do that and he has 2 already

Litotes
08-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Fed loss in doubles opens up possibility that Nole can become "most medaled" in open era. it would only take 3 total medals to do that and he has 2 already

Has 2 already? Singles bronze and....? He lost 1st round doubles last time also.

Travod
08-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Venus will be getting her fourth and Serena her fourth as well. Oh wait, WTA, lalala.

stewietennis
08-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I think the doubles is more of a back up plan, if anything. If he were to get bundled out of the singles he'd still have a chance to defend his doubles gold, which would also be a first in tennis olympics. However, now that he's lost doubles, there's more pressure to win the singles.

Federer4Everer
08-02-2012, 03:21 AM
Oops I meant he has one - that is the bronze from last time

MatchFederer
08-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Doubles on grass is less tiring then a brisk walk. Mcenroe used to play doubles all the time as a substitute for practicing.

I think this is the key.