Olympics R2: Tsonga def. Raonic 6-3, 3-6, 25-23 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Olympics R2: Tsonga def. Raonic 6-3, 3-6, 25-23

misty1
07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Really good fight from milos. This was a horror show as far as returning goes in that 3rd set though. It looked like this could have been isner v.s mahut all over again but tsonga's experience and fitness got him through in the end. Fantastic way to finish it for jo

Johnny Groove
07-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Epic match, what a point to finish it!

LaFuria
Classic grass tennis.

Respect to both Jo and Milos.

n3gative
seriously boring match

shadows
ALLEEEZZZZ

Dedicated to the scared Aussies <33333

epic third set, some quality tennis, and a great finish to the match

BroTree123
That last point was fucking epic. Stronga :rocker2:

Milos :sad: :awww: :bigcry: :hug:

So sad for someone to lose here :sad:

sexybeast
07-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Amazing match, I was entertained.

jonas
Milos last game. :haha: Rushing to the net á la Roddick.
Better player won.

_Chaz
Great match, hopefully Tsonga will have sth left for his next match(es). And I'm slowly starting to feel for Raonic, all these tough losses against the top guns (3 times against Fed now against Jo). Well, at least he got that big win against Andy in Barcelona.

HeretiC
Lovely 7 setter (almost).
Epic match point. :yeah:

howyesno
Awesome match, but in the end Milos just didn't have any legs left. good luck tomorrow jo!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Raonic is just :shrug: He just can't close out those tough matches.
fed IW,Fed madrid,monaco 5 in RG,Fed halle,querrey 4 WIM and now tsonga at the olympics.
A pattern has definitely emerged :(

Slade
07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Tsonga the savior, the Tennis Gods will be proud of this effort. :D :D :D

I really though Raonic had this match, wow.

dweijnen
great match to watch, respect to Milos for putting this kind of fight on grass

Rafa is the GOAT
Great match:worship::worship::worship:
Tsonga:hatoff::hatoff::hatoff:
Raonic:wavey::wavey:
You'll get there

Gninommus
Equalling the Olympic record by number of games: 66.

Burrow
07-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Raonic was atrocious when he had 30-30 and deuce chances.

Tsonga never looked like losing this one. Forehand solid is tight situations.

Freak3yman84
07-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Very long. Glad that Tsonga came through though to help my FITD campaign =D

tuek
07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Raonic is relentless, stonily holds for 15 games all. Tsonga turns to the anxious ballboy. "He’s in the zone, yeah? He’s in the zone,” Jo explains.

BroTree123
Raonic, you will bide your time eventually, I know it. Keep up the good work :)

As for Tsonga, it is so satisfying for him to win a tight match again. I wouldn't know how he would have dealt with a double blow from Djokovic and Raonic :awww:. So this was an almighty relief :o

niff
Tsonga did so well to hold on until the end, he was visibly pissed off :lol:

Burrow
07-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Amazing last point.

Good fight from Milos but Jo just too strong

How so? This match could've easily went Raonic's way, he just couldn't put balls in the court when it mattered. Started panicing midway through the third too, going for slightly faster paced second serves, which is exactly what Tsonga. Give him kick serves, little pace and he'll struggle to get the ball over the net never mind deep in the court.

viruzzz
Plenty of winners.
Amazing.

Il Primo Uomo
People need to stop trynna make Raonic happen. He doesn't have it :lol:

And both need to learn how to return, this was embarassing. You only see those long ass sets with players who can't return for shit.

Slade
Too bad the survivor of this hard-fought battle will be consumed by the Vulture In Chief Monaco.

DuMa
07-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Allez Strongaaaaaaaaa

Mark Lenders
Amazing match, what a titanic struggle between two amazing servers and players :worship:

Jo - go rest up for the rest of the tournament, you champ. He showed incredible mentality, his game wasn't at its best but his serve bailed him out on many occasions.

Milos :hug: Must be hard to lose a match like this, but I hope he doesn't let it affect him mentally, he played very well and fought to the bitter end :worship: He clearly has a bright future.

Both guys are winners in my book, they both wrote Olympic history :D

Jo :worship:

Milos :worship:

Johnbert
fantastic match. cant blame raonic. epic third set. good for tennis.

henke007
Milos had chances to create breakpoints 15-30 and 2nd serve etc but Tsonga had more looks so he deserved it.

Lopez
07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Great match :yeah:. Shame I didn't get to see the third set entirely, but caught the games from 20-all. Shame that one had to lose... I really hope Milos gets his first really deep run in a major tournament this fall, either in the US Open series or in the indoor season.

MuzzahLovah
07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Stronga defeats the bot! Good day for tennis.

BodyServe
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Raonic was atrocious when he had 30-30 and deuce chances.

Tsonga never looked like losing this one. Forehand solid is tight situations.

Yeah, untill 14-14 it was in Raonic's racquet, winning his service games to love and often 30-30 or 40-40 on returns but you know that even if he had 0-40 to break he would have *beep* up them.

FormerRafaFan
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
People need to stop trynna make Raonic happen. He doesn't have it :lol:

And both need to learn how to return, this was embarassing. You only see those long ass sets with players who can't return for shit.

+1

He's simply not good enough. And you know what's even worse? The idiot moved to Monaco, because he didn't want to pay taxes.. this is the thanks Canada get for spending probably millions of dollars on him so far in his career. It's disgusting. He thinks he's such a big shot, but the truth is that he's not. He thinks he's better than he is. He's not good enough. He'll be lucky if he can stay in the top 20.

FormerRafaFan
07-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Amazing match, what a titanic struggle between two amazing servers and players :worship:

Jo - go rest up for the rest of the tournament, you champ. He showed incredible mentality, his game wasn't at its best but his serve bailed him out on many occasions.

Milos :hug: Must be hard to lose a match like this, but I hope he doesn't let it affect him mentally, he played very well and fought to the bitter end :worship: He clearly has a bright future.

Both guys are winners in my book, they both wrote Olympic history :D

Jo :worship:

Milos :worship:

LMAO.. of course it will affect him! How many close matches like this has he lost now? It's A LOT.

FormerRafaFan
07-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Great match :yeah:. Shame I didn't get to see the third set entirely, but caught the games from 20-all. Shame that one had to lose... I really hope Milos gets his first really deep run in a major tournament this fall, either in the US Open series or in the indoor season.

Won't happen. I'll bet against him, and I'll be rich with vCash :)

Slade
07-31-2012, 06:02 PM
+1

He's simply not good enough. And you know what's even worse? The idiot moved to Monaco, because he didn't want to pay taxes.. this is the thanks Canada get for spending probably millions of dollars on him so far in his career. It's disgusting. He thinks he's such a big shot, but the truth is that he's not. He thinks he's better than he is. He's not good enough. He'll be lucky if he can stay in the top 20.

He sounds almost as arrogant as Arroganterer

AnotherGameFor
07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Another loss for Milos when he won the most points. Milos needs to do better than 1/8 on break points as well.

castle007
07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
:hatoff: to both players

Drugs Ruin Lives
07-31-2012, 06:07 PM
http://oi44.tinypic.com/fwqb2o.jpg

Another boring servefest.

kinski76
07-31-2012, 06:08 PM
:hatoff: to both players. Effortless serving, winners all around. Raonic did well to hang in there, but Tsonga more mentally clutch when it mattered. Great way to spend a Tuesday afternoon.

Yep.

Top guns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Milos

Milos will never win a match against the top guns, he's not good enough. I know he won against Murray, but that was such a fluke. LOL.

I see you've come out of your self-imposed retirement from tennis to troll and be a general nuisance. First you give up on Nadal when he no longer wins by default, and now you pick on Raonic after the effort he put in against one of the better grasscourters on tour?

Jon.
07-31-2012, 06:10 PM
C'mon!!!!!! :bowdown::bowdown:

Didn't catch the match, but scoreline is fantastic.

Hopefully not to tired now. :unsure: Onwards!!

Alex999
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
darn,so close. I'm so disappointed that Milos lost ... kudos to both players for a good fight. Raonic really has to improve his movement&stamina, ROS (Milos get some lessons from Nole for God's sake). His BH is also weak.

FormerRafaFan
07-31-2012, 06:15 PM
I see you've come out of your self-imposed retirement from tennis to troll and be a general nuisance. First you give up on Nadal when he no longer wins by default, and now you pick on Raonic after the effort he put in against one of the better grasscourters on tour?

I hardly ever watch tennis anymore. No, it's not because Nadal loses, it's THE WAY he loses.. always when he's up and really should be winning. It's the same with Raonic. He always loses when he should be winning.

nick the greek
07-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Kudos to both players. Great match, great fun.

FormerRafaFan
07-31-2012, 06:16 PM
this formerafafan has got to be one of the most annoying posters on this site.

rafatards are few compared to other tardbases but they're by far the worst of the lot

I'm not even a fan of Rafa anymore. He's a disgrace of a player, and I couldn't care less. Nice try though.

nellis_lv
07-31-2012, 06:20 PM
I think Milos said he wanted more match practice on grass. Well, he got it!

It'd have sucked anyway if he would've won this, only to be tired and crash out to Lopez/Pico the next round.

Hypnotize
07-31-2012, 06:21 PM
I was at this match and the atmosphere on court was immense! Great effort from both players although it could have ended earlier if either had a ROS. I'm not a Milos fan buy he played the match of his life and it was a shame someone had to lose. The crowd was totally behind Tsonga who has achieved god-like status at this tournament. I think even some Canadians were chanting his name by the end.

This was a match for the history books and i'm so happy i was there to see it. :yeah:

Zambanas
07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Epic scoreline. :superlol:

Lazyking
07-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Really good match that last matchpoint was classic.

Corey Feldman
07-31-2012, 06:29 PM
well done Wilf, destroy yourself by time you play Nole :rolleyes:

I hardly ever watch tennis anymore. No, it's not because Nadal loses, it's THE WAY he loses.. always when he's up and really should be winning. It's the same with Raonic. He always loses when he should be winning.Sukit on both counts

Alex999
07-31-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm not even a fan of Rafa anymore. He's a disgrace of a player, and I couldn't care less. Nice try though.
your comment about Raonic living in Monaco because of taxes is not cool at all but you are entitled to your own opinion. Raonic was only 3 yo when his family imigrated to Canada. He does REPRESENT Canada. Milos can live wherever he wants to. Calling Nadal 'a disgrace' is also funny. If you are a true fan you stick with your player/team through thick and thin.

Tenis Srbija
07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Just amazing match, so thrilling :lol:

http://x.vukajlija.com/var/uploads/reactions/201207/14901/cookie-monster-waiting.gif

Mahut and Isner approved :yeah:

Looner
07-31-2012, 06:37 PM
OMG, people were right in predicting a 3-setter with the duration of a 5-setter here.

FormerRafaFan
07-31-2012, 06:37 PM
I was at this match and the atmosphere on court was immense! Great effort from both players although it could have ended earlier if either had a ROS. I'm not a Milos fan buy he played the match of his life and it was a shame someone had to lose. The crowd was totally behind Tsonga who has achieved god-like status at this tournament. I think even some Canadians were chanting his name by the end.

This was a match for the history books and i'm so happy i was there to see it. :yeah:

Nice try, but the only Canadians who would ever cheer for a Frenchie is the Qubec people.. hell, they usually cheer for the Frenchies over the English Canadians.

nazzac
07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Tsonga!! Man it was close, but he pulled through. After Slava lost earlier, i needed a Tsonga win and the big man doesn't disapoint :D

FormerRafaFan
07-31-2012, 06:43 PM
your comment about Raonic living in Monaco because of taxes is not cool at all but you are entitled to your own opinion. Raonic was only 3 yo when his family imigrated to Canada. He does REPRESENT Canada. Milos can live wherever he wants to. Calling Nadal 'a disgrace' is also funny. If you are a true fan you stick with your player/team through thick and thin.

Umm.. first of all, like I said.. I'm not even a fan anymore. I stopped being a fan like two years ago, so I honestly couldn't care less. If that makes me a "bad fan" then so be it.

Second, yes.. i think we should be critical of such a move. I know he's Canadian, I know he feels Canadian.. it's still a shitty thing to do. The Canadian tennis federation has spent millions to make him successful... they used the tax payers money. And this is the thanks for Canada? He refuses to pay the Canadians back, the ones who supported his career? I'm sorry.. he lost a bit of my respect when he did that. He's rich now, he should be able to give something back to the Canadian people.

madmax
07-31-2012, 06:56 PM
http://oi44.tinypic.com/fwqb2o.jpg

Another boring servefest.

:devil:
Clownga should have won this much easier, but being a chronic epic mess that he is in return games, he made this a mugathon of the highest order...NID

Alex999
07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Umm.. first of all, like I said.. I'm not even a fan anymore. I stopped being a fan like two years ago, so I honestly couldn't care less. If that makes me a "bad fan" then so be it.

Second, yes.. i think we should be critical of such a move. I know he's Canadian, I know he feels Canadian.. it's still a shitty thing to do. The Canadian tennis federation has spent millions to make him successful... they used the tax payers money. And this is the thanks for Canada? He refuses to pay the Canadians back, the ones who supported his career? I'm sorry.. he lost a bit of my respect when he did that. He's rich now, he should be able to give something back to the Canadian people.

not sure where you live, but Raonic did help to popularize tennis in Canada. most people here are interested in hockey only, yes most know who Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are ... but Canadians are watching more tennis because of Milos. He is all over, TV, commercials ... etc. I can see your point about taxes, but I'm not sure that's the main reason he lives in Monaco. I also wouldn't call him rich, far from being rich.

as for your choice not to support Nadal any more, fine with me ... it's just that calling Nadal 'a disgrace' is a bit too strong.

Mercury
07-31-2012, 07:10 PM
not sure where you live, but Raonic did help to popularize tennis in Canada. most people here are interested in hockey only, yes most know who Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are ... but Canadians are watching more tennis because of Milos. He is all over, TV, commercials ... etc. I can see your point about taxes, but I'm not sure that's the main reason he lives in Monaco. I also wouldn't call him rich, far from being rich.

as for your choice not to support Nadal any more, fine with me ... it's just that calling Nadal 'a disgrace' is a bit too strong.

He made 700K in 8 months from tennis prizes only and he's not rich? What the hell is then?

Fed fordawin
07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Raonic is just :shrug: He just can't close out those tough matches.
fed IW,Fed madrid,monaco 5 in RG,Fed halle,querrey 4 WIM and now tsonga at the olympics.
A pattern has definitely emerged :(

How do you want him to close a match when he can't get a look on the opponent's serve?

Alex999
07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
He made 700K in 8 months from tennis prizes only and he's not rich? What the hell is then?

if you look at his expenses (we don't know exactly what they are but they are pretty high for pro tennis players), that's not rich.

JediFed
07-31-2012, 07:24 PM
7 setter? More like 7-6 6-7 7-6 6-7 8-6, a very long 5-setter. :worship:

FormerRafaFan
07-31-2012, 07:26 PM

You're so full of shit. We all know the only reason people move to Monaco is because they want to avoid paying taxes. I couldn't care less about him popularizing tennis in Canada, I mean, that's good, yes.. but that's not the issue here. The thing is that the Canadian people PAID for his career. The state have paid millions of dollars for his coach, for him to be able to train in Barcelona etc. He should show some kind of gratitude towards the Canadian people. The least he could do is pay some of the money he earned back, it's the right thing to do, as a citizen. It's a shitty thing to take advantage of the opportunity Canada gave him without giving anything back. End of story.

Sombrerero loco
07-31-2012, 07:33 PM
what a headcase raonic is :facepalm: of course he had to lose this match too

Orka_n
07-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Holy crap what a scoreline.

Yves.
07-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Where can I find highlights?

Snowwy
07-31-2012, 08:28 PM
You're so full of shit. We all know the only reason people move to Monaco is because they want to avoid paying taxes. I couldn't care less about him popularizing tennis in Canada, I mean, that's good, yes.. but that's not the issue here. The thing is that the Canadian people PAID for his career. The state have paid millions of dollars for his coach, for him to be able to train in Barcelona etc. He should show some kind of gratitude towards the Canadian people. The least he could do is pay some of the money he earned back, it's the right thing to do, as a citizen. It's a shitty thing to take advantage of the opportunity Canada gave him without giving anything back. End of story.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I hope no posters actually think this is how we feel about Milos in Canada because it is not.

Burrow
07-31-2012, 08:30 PM

No.

Andi-M
07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
I didnt see much of this one, only last few games, MP was pretty awesome, interesting to see these 2 guys fight so hard. Respect.

On a sidenote Idk cos i didnt see it all but im guessing Jo Willy didnt return too hot...He really needs to work on his ROS..not good enough atm unfortunately.

shadows
07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Where can I find highlights?

youtube

search "Raonic serve"

search "Tsonga serve"

done.

=D

Tennisfan99
07-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Did anyone at any point feel Raonic was going to win? I didn't and I don't think he did either

Alex999
07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about. I hope no posters actually think this is how we feel about Milos in Canada because it is not.
exactly. I tried to explain how we Canadians actually feel about Milos, in a very civilized manner and he tells me I'm full of sh!t. lovely :rolleyes:. oh, well. Canadians don't care where he lives, how much money he makes, or about taxes ... all we care is that he represents Canada.

Paylu2007
07-31-2012, 09:25 PM
youtube

search "Raonic serve"

search "Tsonga serve"

done.

=D

:haha:

so true!

Time Violation
07-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Did anyone at any point feel Raonic was going to win? I didn't and I don't think he did either

Yea, late in the third Milos looked running on fumes, only the serve keeping him alive.

Moozza
07-31-2012, 09:43 PM
youtube

search "Raonic serve"

search "Tsonga serve"

done.

=D

Good one. :lol:

samanosuke
07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
so from nightmare draw it is becoming walking bye draw for nole. good match though

Knotty Fort
07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
I was there watching it, the moment it got to 6 all I knew I was in for a long one.

Ashlar77
07-31-2012, 09:56 PM

Millions of dollars? :haha: Try measuring his funding in the tens of thousands you insipid fool. :stupid: Any investment made in Raonic by Tennis Canada has already been repaid many times over already by virtue of Milos' high profile and the incredible interest he has generated for the sport in Canada.

Hypnotize
07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Nice try, but the only Canadians who would ever cheer for a Frenchie is the Qubec people.. hell, they usually cheer for the Frenchies over the English Canadians.
I know you're banned so there's not much point in responding but I was only joking when I made that comment. Of course the Canadians in the audience were supporting Raonic and the whole crowd appreciated his efforts. It was that kind of match where both players got a huge cheer at the end and despite the fact I'm not a Raonic fan, I was impressed with his play today. The point I was making with my joke was that Tsonga is absolutely worshiped at this tournament. The whole crowd (except for the Canadians) was chanting his name throughout the match, they "ahh'd" every time he missed a shot and cheered every time he hit a winner.

You have to be here to appreciate it but the atmosphere during the Olympics has been incredible. The support for Federer, Murray, Djokovic, Tsonga, Serena and Sharapova is ten times what it would be in a normal tournament. It is the most fun I have ever had a tennis match. :worship:

JeMa
07-31-2012, 10:22 PM
I didnt see much of this one, only last few games, MP was pretty awesome, interesting to see these 2 guys fight so hard. Respect.

On a sidenote Idk cos i didnt see it all but im guessing Jo Willy didnt return too hot...He really needs to work on his ROS..not good enough atm unfortunately.

I thought Tsonga played extremely well. Raonic's serve was really good. You cannot fault Tsonga and say he wasn't returning well like Isner and Mahut-or it would have been 50-48, the Maple leaf was on fire with the serve. I would say Raonic wasn't returning well and was basically all serve after about 15-15.

leng jai
07-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Tsonga is the superior serve bot.

Chase Visa
07-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Wow, intense.

Milos seems to love to play tight 3-setters against big names.

jonas
08-01-2012, 12:54 AM
There's something not quite right about a long last set in a three setter.

AntiTennis
08-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Strongaaa :devil:

Backhand_Maestro
08-01-2012, 02:02 AM
There's something not quite right about a long last set in a three setter.

This was effectively a really tight 5-setter

BroTree123
08-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Was probably better for Tsonga to win like this than if he 6-3, 6-4'ed him.

Elly
08-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Great effort by both players. Biting my nails thru out the epic 3rd set. We still love you, Milos. :)

viruzzz
08-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Was probably better for Tsonga to win like this than if he 6-3, 6-4'ed him.

Breaking a motivated Raonic on grass isn't a joke thing.

sylacauga
08-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Didn't get to see this one, but it sounds pretty crazy. Glad Jo was able to pull it out in the end. I hope he'll have an easier time next round, but the Olympics seem to have rejuvenated Feli so who knows.

Andy1402
08-01-2012, 03:14 AM
youtube

search "Raonic serve"

search "Tsonga serve"

done.

=D

:haha:

SelvenluvJo
08-01-2012, 03:23 AM
Wondering how much energy left Jo has. :sobbing:

sylacauga
08-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Wondering how much energy left Jo has. :sobbing:

I think he'll be okay. He didn't play on Monday, so this will only be his second day playing in a row. Also, he probably didn't do much running in the Raonic match, so his legs should still be pretty fresh.

duong
08-01-2012, 06:17 AM
I expected such a match in these Olympics honestly.

And the ones who will face Isner have to bear that in mind ;)

As for Tsonga's energy, you've got to think that he has great goals in doubles as well, and the schedule for next 3 days will be very busy for players who play singles and doubles like him : if Tsonga (and/or Fed) reaches semis in singles and doubles, he should play 2 matches everyone of next 3 days (the weather forecast being good for next 2 days)

BroTree123
08-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Breaking a motivated Raonic on grass isn't a joke thing.

It will be a confidence boosting shit nonetheless.

Revan
08-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Raonic is only 21 and still comes close to beating the top players. I am excited for his future.

FlameOn
08-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Jo :sobbing:.

Looner
08-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Milos seems to love to play tight 3-setters against big names.

And lose...

nole_no1
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I wanted 71-69 :(

allpro
08-01-2012, 03:15 PM
tough loss son, but you done your country proud.

it’s all hc & indoor hc from here in on out so i expect a breakthru (or two) and some indoor 250 titles.

Hian-GOAT
08-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Stronga :worship: What a guy!

Milagros :wavey: :bigwave: :spit: :hysteric: Hopefully you'll go out of Top 500 ASAP.

Hian-GOAT
08-01-2012, 04:25 PM
great match to watch, respect to Milos for putting this kind of fight on grass

:unsure: This is the best surface for a servemug like him, he should have won.

Oh wait, he is talentless as Shitney Spears, so no. Bye bitch, to Raonic. Bye gurl, to you.

Tennis is safe :cool:

star
08-01-2012, 06:38 PM

That’s funny.

You posted this thread only last year.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=11232205&postcount=1

I would ask if you were lying then or lying now, but you’re banned, so :shrug: