Olympics R2 L. Hewitt def M. Cilic 6-4 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Olympics R2 L. Hewitt def M. Cilic 6-4 7-5

Johnny Groove
07-31-2012, 06:36 PM
The old dog can still bite!

:lol: at Cilic for not shaking the umpire's hand. Cilic had 15-30 in the final game Hewitt serving at 6-5. Lleyton hit a ball, called long, Cilic doesn't play it, umpire overrules, Cilic loses his shit :spit:

I think it was the right call, in the end.

HeretiC
07-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Lleyton should have broken earlier in the second set, he had 0:40 on 2-2 and 15-40 on 3-3.

P.S. Loved the no handshake with Garner from Marin, followed by WELL DONE , PICKA TI MATERINA :superlol:

BroTree123
07-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Expected result. Cilic has been awful after Umag.

Hewitt is a naturally better player on grass.

Freak3yman84
07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Keep it going Hewitt :rocker2:

niff
07-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Didn't know Marin refused the ump, oh dear :lol:

Tough final game for Lleyton, win meant a lot to him.

barbadosan

:lol: at Cilic for not shaking the umpire's hand. Cilic had 15-30 in the final game Hewitt serving at 6-5. Lleyton hit a ball, called long, Cilic doesn't play it, umpire overrules, Cilic loses his shit :spit:

This wouldn't be by any chance the same dog from Fed's "weak era" - now broke back, stiff-hipped, wrecked feet, century-old Hewitt taking out the young guns of this "strong era"? The same one? ;)

daddy

Marin got robbed. Ball was called out, Marin didn't play it and then umpire calls it in. Umpire robbed Marin 3 times by overruling on crucial points. I never seen Marin this pissed in my life and rightfully so. Why is there no hawks eye on Olympics.

Chris Kuerten
07-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Didn't think I would ever say this, but he definitely saved tennis today.

StevoTG
07-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah! Yes! That was something else. It's so good to see Lleyton fit, moving so well, hitting the ball so well and so pumped up. I'll never forget this match. What a champ! Hopefully it's a good match with Novak tomorrow, who was scarily good against Roddick!

tennizen
07-31-2012, 06:42 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

daddy
07-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Lleyton should have broken earlier in the second set, he had 0:40 on 2-2 and 15-40 on 3-3.

P.S. Loved the no handshake with Garner from Marin, followed by WELL DONE , PICKA TI MATERINA :superlol:

Did he really said that, I could not hear.

HeretiC
07-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Marin got robbed. Ball was called out, Marin didn't play it and then umpire calls it in. Umpire robbed Marin 3 times by overruling on crucial points. I never seen Marin this pissed in my life and rightfully so. Why is there no hawks eye on Olympics.
Marin couldn't play it, he was too far. Yes, there is hawk eye on Olympics.

StevoTG
07-31-2012, 06:45 PM

John Lloyd did say very early in the match that he didn't like the overrules from Jake Garner and that it could cause trouble later in the match. Great prediction from Lloyd!

Was great to see Lleyton save break points towards the end of the second, especially after missing so many himself. Tough to be clutch when you haven't played a lot, as we saw against Stakhovsky but he dug it out today and I couldn't be happier :)

HeretiC
07-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Did he really said that, I could not hear.
Yes, he did, it is so extremely rare to see him lose his temper like that.

StevoTG
07-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Marin couldn't play it, he was too far. Yes, there is hawk eye on Olympics.

True, Marin never had a play on that ball. Baffling that there's no hawk eye at the Olympics though!

cutesteve22
07-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Muglin :o

Blue Heart24
07-31-2012, 06:48 PM

:lol:
Maybe that ball was out,but Lleyton was the better player in this match.Good to see him picking up some form again,he is a great competitor.Nothing new with Marin here,although I expected him to win this and then lose routinely to Djokovic.

Johnny Groove
07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
This wouldn't be by any chance the same dog from Fed's "weak era" - now broke back, stiff-hipped, wrecked feet, century-old Hewitt taking out the young guns of this "strong era"? The same one? ;)

I'd hardly count Cilic as an example of today's strong era ;)

It was like Court 14 :shrug: No hawkeye on such a court.

John Lloyd did say very early in the match that he didn't like the overrules from Jake Garner and that it could cause trouble later in the match. Great prediction from Lloyd!

Was great to see Lleyton save break points towards the end of the second, especially after missing so many himself. Tough to be clutch when you haven't played a lot, as we saw against Stakhovsky but he dug it out today and I couldn't be happier :)

Ah, so there were multiple instances.

Burrow
07-31-2012, 06:51 PM

Feel free to give a few examples :)

Time Violation
07-31-2012, 06:51 PM

What young guns? Cilic is a mess :) Congrats to Lleyton~

viruzzz
07-31-2012, 06:58 PM
He might be back with Kim.
I made it clear. Hewitt only plays good when there's a little bit o' Kim in his life.

The Prince
07-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Parity is restored in the tennis world.

MuzzahLovah
07-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Yay Hewitt- hopefully he acquits himself better against Djoker than Roddick.

Absolute Anthropoid
07-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Mugic :facepalm:

Good win for Hewitt

howyesno
07-31-2012, 07:08 PM
marin cilic should be used as a random function in computer science: truly no way to know what to expect.

IOFH
07-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Not surprised that bitch Garner was involved with another controversy.

mickymouse
07-31-2012, 07:15 PM
He might be back with Kim.
I made it clear. Hewitt only plays good when there's a little bit o' Kim in his life.

Who's Kim? :confused:
Didn't watch the match but it's uncharacteristic of Cilic to lose his temper. But glad for Hewitt though. This guy really loves playing for his country.

Freak3yman84
07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Who's Kim? :confused:
Didn't watch the match but it's uncharacteristic of Cilic to lose his temper. But glad for Hewitt though. This guy really loves playing for his country.

Clijsters.

Lazyking
07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Hewitt FTW.. He wins a medal! You heard it here first.

Zambanas
07-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Come ON HEWITT!!! :rocker2:

Corey Feldman
07-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Good win for him

but as usual he will be swpet aside by a top3 opponent in next round as has happened everywhere the last 5 years

well depends on what level? this guy has been in slam Sf and QF's, wins over Nadal, Muzza, Delpo

Alex999
07-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Congrats to Hewitt. I didn't see the match, so can't really comment but Marin really needs to gain some consistency ... you just never know what to expect from him. It's too bad Lleyton is playing Djokovic in the next round. He is pretty much doomed, I'm afraid.

HeretiC
07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Good win for him

but as usual he will be swpet aside by a top3 opponent in next round as has happened everywhere the last 5 years

well depends on what level? this guy has been in slam Sf and QF's, wins over Nadal, Muzza, Delpo

Didn't happen in Halle 2010. ;)

Johnny Groove
07-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Good win for him

Samanosuke can explain better than me the merits of this Cilic.

Tenis Srbija
07-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Damn, I didn't expect this.
Well don Hewitt :yeah:

ogbg
07-31-2012, 07:45 PM

I think it's a stronger era than the one just before Federer broke through, for sure. The clear 4th player of the current time has a higher career win/loss, higher GS win/loss, and higher top 10 win/loss than the number 1s of that era. But Federer is obviously the main reason why this era is considered stronger by some than the previous one.

samanosuke
07-31-2012, 07:57 PM
One serious post about Marin Cilic.

All this time he was "just" on court clown, but he is doing all to be off court clown also. Here are some of his quotes from last days:
" Four years ago in Beijing I was under impression of hole occasion, in London I have arrived to win medal"
" When you are playing great you aren't afraid of anything and that's how I am feeling "
and the most priceless one after Melzer's match
" I am playing great, I am feeling the ball even too well that's why I am going for too much sometimes I and I am missing some balls which I shouldn't "

So the conclusion is that in form Marin Cilic gets trashed by semi retired player. There is no point in wasting words about his game if you have watched this match just I am again and again shocked when he wins some challenger draw titles, some posters here immediately see him as the real deal. Pretty retarded stuff.

I didn't troll in this post just because he bought me with that " Well done, PIČKA TI MATERINA" .

His legend just became even bigger :worship:

PS the most hilarious thing in this match was that some rookie commentator commented this match, this olympics are his first live transmitting job, you know how rookies are shy and professional in occasions like this. But this guy just couldn't keep it inside of itself, he was trolling Cilic on high level. That's what Cilic is doing from people

samanosuke
07-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Feel sorry for all Cilic fans who are bitter because of that overrule even if it was wrong. If you think that Cilic's match against Hewitt should be decided by one ball you are pretty sad human being

JediFed
07-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Just 1 behind Mazur for most number of grass wins by an Australian, and just 3 away from 5th place (behind mugs like Fed, Becker, McEnroe and Connors!)

Pea
07-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank you llegs!

samanosuke
07-31-2012, 08:25 PM
so one of better players of current era who is playing by his own words "as good as ever" lost last two matches to guys with combined age count of 65

Sombrerero loco
07-31-2012, 08:33 PM
rusty :bowdown:

tennizen
07-31-2012, 08:34 PM

All this time he was "just" on court clown, but he is doing all to be off court clown also. Here are some of his quotes from last days:
" Four years ago in Beijing I was under impression of hole occasion, in London I have arrived to win medal"
" When you are playing great you aren't afraid of anything and that's how I am feeling "
and the most priceless one after Melzer's match
" I am playing great, I am feeling the ball even too well that's why I am going for too much sometimes I and I am missing some balls which I shouldn't "

So the conclusion is that in form Marin Cilic gets trashed by semi retired player. There is no point in wasting words about his game if you have watched this match just I am again and again shocked when he wins some challenger draw titles, some posters here immediately see him as the real deal. Pretty retarded stuff.

I didn't troll in this post just because he bought me with that " Well done, PIČKA TI MATERINA" .

His legend just became even bigger :worship:

PS the most hilarious thing in this match was that some rookie commentator commented this match, this olympics are his first live transmitting job, you know how rookies are shy and professional in occasions like this. But this guy just couldn't keep it inside of itself, he was trolling Cilic on high level. That's what Cilic is doing from people

Mugrin has very few flaws in my eyes but he does talk too much as soon as he wins one match well. :o

Orka_n
07-31-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm no hewitt fan but I enjoy this result.

mystic ice cube
07-31-2012, 08:50 PM
So happy for Lleyton. Great result, hope he can get a decent run here!

zlaja777
07-31-2012, 09:15 PM
It's absolutely impossible to notice if Cilic is in good form or not. It seems to me that his level is very good when he wins but this shit today was just weird. Hewitt schooled him.

rocketassist
07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Lleyton, what a warrior. Great to see him fighting for his country.

CooCooCachoo
07-31-2012, 09:58 PM
I really don't like Hewitt, but you've got to have a lot of respect for the guy. Great win. Great career.

leng jai
07-31-2012, 11:03 PM
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/fail-owned-skateboard-unibrow-sign-win.jpg

Mugrin :sad:

Chase Visa
08-01-2012, 12:04 AM
C'mon! Test the Djoke!

redshift36188
08-01-2012, 12:11 AM
But he umpire gave replay, right? Or did he automatically give Hewitt the point?

StevoTG
08-01-2012, 12:14 AM
But he umpire gave replay, right? Or did he automatically give Hewitt the point?

Hewitt got the point because Marin didn't have a play on the ball, he was a few feet away from it.

Ashlar77
08-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Rusty! :eek:

redshift36188
08-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Hewitt got the point because Marin didn't have a play on the ball, he was a few feet away from it.
Well I would have to watch it, but do you think Cilic would have returned the ball in good conditions or not?

bavaria100
08-01-2012, 12:29 AM
That was a great performance by Lleyton. It kind of reminded me of the Lleyton of old. Only the bp conversion rate could have been a little bit better.

Looner
08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
YES, Hewitt! I will be cheering you on even more than I did at the AO. Go on, mate, do the impossible. Do it for the New Old Balls :).

DjokerFan3
08-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Great stuff Rusty!!! AUSSIE! :D

Hoping he puts up a good fight against Djoker in the next match.

mooncreek
08-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Saw the first post and... wow. I never thought Cilic would do something like that.

Angle Queen
08-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

Will have to catch the full replay on some insomniac night, but good on you, Lleyton.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-01-2012, 03:19 AM
one legged, injury destroyed, part timer hewitt
decades past his prime
eats a young lion of the "strongest" era eva

well done rock

Chip & Charge
08-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Yes Hewitt! Love watching his passion on the tennis court, hope he puts in a good showing vs Djokovic

BackhandDTL
08-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Wanted to give a quick shout out to Hewitt for this awesome result. The guy is a fierce competitor, especially when lifting his country on his back (Davis Cup, in spite of their conflicts). I'm glad to see that he's still got it in him to put up a strong effort, and I'm glad he hasn't changed much fundamentally even after all the trials he's gone through in his career.

Juz78
08-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Rusty!! Legend... keep my Bec happy for a few more years ;)

daddy
08-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Don't you think that you should wait until Marin is completely out before posting this. He still has a chance for the medal, he's playing doubles with Godig and they're playing 1/4 final match tomorrow against Ferrer/Lopez combo.

Winning 2 out of last 4 tournaments plus one semi and losing in Wimbly to eventual runner-up (along with winning exhibition on grass..... very decent results, don't you think?)

Hewitt is far from being a mug on grass or semi retired. (he just took in form Djokovic to 3 sets and at his age Ivanisevic won Wimbledon being out of top 100 and losing his last 15 matches) He won there, been a runner up, semifinalist and few quarters and is a fifth winiest player on grass in open era. He knows how to play on grass along with that grass is not as physically demanding as lets say clay. Marin is 6'6" and grass is a low bouncing surface which makes it hard for him. On a day like yesterday, cold with high humidity, ball bounces ever lower which heavily favors Hewitt who's pettit and moves fast.
Marin had a chance but was robbed. If umpire didn't change that call at 15-30 god knows how this match would end.

Burrow
08-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Don't you think that you should wait until Marin is completely out before posting this. He still has a chance for the medal, he's playing doubles with Godig and they're playing 1/4 final match tomorrow against Ferrer/Lopez combo.

Winning 2 out of last 4 tournaments plus one semi and losing in Wimbly to eventual runner-up (along with winning exhibition on grass..... very decent results, don't you think?)

Hewitt is far from being a mug on grass or semi retired. (he just took in form Djokovic to 3 sets and at his age Ivanisevic won Wimbledon being out of top 100 and losing his last 15 matches) He won there, been a runner up, semifinalist and few quarters and is a fifth winiest player on grass in open era. He knows how to play on grass along with that grass is not as physically demanding as lets say clay. Marin is 6'6" and grass is a low bouncing surface which makes it hard for him. On a day like yesterday, cold with high humidity, ball bounces ever lower which heavily favors Hewitt who's pettit and moves fast.
Marin had a chance but was robbed. If umpire didn't change that call at 15-30 god knows how this match would end.

Ivanisevic was 29 when he won Wimbledon. Hewitt is a good 18 months older.

And Hewitt has never been runner-up at Wimbledon.

samanosuke
08-01-2012, 07:13 PM

who was talking about the doubles? cilic himself when was glorying his amazing form didn't think on doubles

winning 2 challenger draw tournaments. and loosing to guys with combined age count of 65 and getting schooled from only top player which he faced in this period. entire season against any better ranked player couldn't make a competitive match

just this

Feel sorry for all Cilic fans who are bitter because of that overrule even if it was wrong. If you think that Cilic's match against Hewitt should be decided by one ball you are pretty sad human being

you are doing sysphious job with cilic. he is more or less untalented choker with wrong technique on almost every shot he posses. and you are trying to make a real deal of him. don't get me wrong he isn't the worst player who entered top 20 or even top 10, isn't a bad player but from that what you and some others expect from him. he will never be able to beat best players in b2b matches, reaching consecutive Masters 1000 semis or Slam QF, doubt he'll win a Masters 500 tournaments with a decent players field either . But still not even close to be the biggest discrediting factor of today's tennis

daddy
08-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I guess you know best what Cilic meant.

Can you point me to the article?

au_sports_opinion
08-01-2012, 09:05 PM
lleyton screams vamos now.

also the commentator described the vicht as the crocodile. *facepalm*