Most hated surface [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most hated surface

Andy1402
07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Which surface is the most hated by fans.
I think it's clay, maybe because nadal has dominated it for so long. Or is it some other surface?
vote in the poll amd post your reasons in the thread.

Burrow
07-31-2012, 11:52 AM
The funny thing is that clay before Nadal was an exciting surface with players who used lots of court craft succeeding.

Zambanas
07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Clay, cause mostly there are weaponless pushers or moonballers who wins these clay events, playing their disgusting style of tennis.

Litotes
07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
I don't hate any surfaces. I think all of them has a rightful place in the calendar.

Chris Kuerten
07-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Clay is the most beautiful surface, too bad blind hate for Nadal has changed this for a lot of people.

The Prince
07-31-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't hate any surfaces. I think all of them has a rightful place in the calendar.

This.

bounccer
07-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Clay

Not because Nadal win all the time like the 11 years old op suggests but because it's where the talented strikers (the most entertaining tennis players) struggle the most due to the fact that their talent/touch is nullified by the fitness and the consistency of some claycourters.

Sri
07-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Slow clay or slow hard courts.

The problem isn't them necessarily, but that the tour is bloated with too many of these.

Punky
07-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Slow clay like in MC, I can't stand when it takes an hour to finish one point and I hate long games.
I also think this year AO was badddd and dangerous to the players health.

Andy1402
07-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Clay

Not because Nadal win all the time like the 11 years old op suggests but because it's where the talented strikers (the most entertaining tennis players) struggle the most due to the fact that their talent/touch is nullified by the fitness and the consistency of some claycourters.

Hey, what's with the insults man? I just stated one of their reasons why clay may be the most hated surface. It's not my opinion, but others do agree that blind hate for nadal has ruined clay.
Be civil as the other posts are. If you can't, it will be a better idea not to post at all.

hipolymer
07-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Grass. I just don't like the slipperiness of it all. It doesn't suit tennis as a sport in my opinion. It suits soccer and other team sports but I don't think it's very good for tennis.

Looner
07-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Grass. I just don't like the slipperiness of it all. It doesn't suit tennis as a sport in my opinion. It suits soccer and other team sports but I don't think it's very good for tennis.

:facepalm:

BroTree123
07-31-2012, 12:13 PM
I have respect for all surfaces, except blue clay.

Snowwy
07-31-2012, 12:14 PM
I guess outdoor hard courts, but all surfaces are fine.

bounccer
07-31-2012, 12:14 PM
When someone ask about something wich concern a little Nadal or Federer, each posts end like this "you're a Nadal hater" or "you're a Fed hater". The entire tennis planet on this forum seems to turn around Federer and Nadal, there are nothing else, mostly because most of the posters are gloryhunters who didn't know anything about tennis before 2005.

So when you realize that clay is less liked than the other surfaces, your first thought is obviously "well it's perhaps because Nadal is good in clay", it's boring.

Punky
07-31-2012, 12:18 PM

The first games where playing on grass if I'm bit wrong..

Weird of u to say its not suit for play..

Andy1402
07-31-2012, 12:27 PM
When someone ask about something wich concern a little Nadal or Federer, each posts end like this "you're a Nadal hater" or "you're a Fed hater". The entire tennis planet on this forum seems to turn around Federer and Nadal, there are nothing else, mostly because most of the posters are gloryhunters who didn't know anything about tennis before 2005.

So when you realize that clay is less liked than the other surfaces, your first thought is obviously "well it's perhaps because Nadal is good in clay", it's boring.

The current world of tennis does revolve entirely around federer and nadal because that's a rivalry that has put to shame every other.
Clay was actually very respected in the 80s. I think people started hating it because of Sampras' failures in clay and the sentiment was cemented by nadal's utter dominance. I guess if federer had won a couple more RGs it would be great for clay.

Slade
07-31-2012, 12:30 PM
I most dislike the atrocious current AO one and also maybe Miami

sexybeast
07-31-2012, 12:32 PM
I dont like slow hardcourt.

Andy1402
07-31-2012, 12:35 PM
come on people, give reasons. blind hatred is never good, be it for a player or a surface.

hipolymer
07-31-2012, 12:35 PM
The first games where playing on grass if I'm bit wrong..

Weird of u to say its not suit for play..

I know that and it doesn't change anything.

dazed1
07-31-2012, 12:36 PM

:haha:

. I think people started hating it because of Sampras' failures in clay and the sentiment was cemented by nadal's utter ugliness.

Fixed.

Mark Lenders
07-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Slow hardcourts. Plexicuxion is the worst surface of all.

duarte_a
07-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Clay because it takes forever to finish a point and it favours defensive tennis while I like attacking, first-strike tennis.

Guess this also aplies to slow harcourt but at least on hardcourts you don't have bad bounces.

Looner
07-31-2012, 12:51 PM
I most dislike the atrocious current AO one and also maybe Miami

This.

BroTree123
07-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Actually yes, AO as well.

HDW
07-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Slow outdoor hardcourts. That being said AO is my favorite slam. :shrug: :confused:

MacTheKnife
07-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Clay. Rewards running and retrieving to much. Clay is the surface that allows the less talented players an opportunity to flourish. Just play great defense and you've got a chance on this stuff.

G4.
07-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Clay : allows untalented boring grunting moonballing pushers to make a life out of tennis

STUHL
07-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Clay...

Andy1402
07-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Clay : allows untalented boring grunting moonballing pushers to make a life out of tennis

Read: NADAL.;)

Looner
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Slow outdoor hardcourts. That being said AO is my favorite slam. :shrug: :confused:

AO is my favourite slam in terms of atmosphere but they severely degraded the quality of play with that swamp of a surface.

Clay. Rewards running and retrieving to much. Clay is the surface that allows the less talented players an opportunity to flourish. Just play great defense and you've got a chance on this stuff.

At least it's always been that way. When they turn a surface which has to help offensive players into a pushers' paradise, you know it's wrong.

IOFH
07-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Clay, only bc the ultimate mugface, slow hardcourt isn't differentiated.

Helevorn
07-31-2012, 01:45 PM
I love every kind of outdoor tennis, but actually here there is plenty of clay courts and barely no grass or hard courts at all, so I have always been way more familiar with clay. Indoor HC is the one I like the least.

Hian-GOAT
07-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Sorry for you little scrubs, but clay is tennis, and I says it although it is the surface I like less playing. You have to build the point, and not just to bash as Angela Lansbury accusing the various characters in her thrillers.

I dislike grass: the colour, the game it takes, the tournaments (excluding Wimbledon). It quite sucks.

Chirag
07-31-2012, 02:27 PM
I hate the plexicushion

AnnaK_4ever
07-31-2012, 02:50 PM

This.
Though it refers to slow ass hardcourts as well.

Hian-GOAT
07-31-2012, 02:52 PM
This thread and the scrubs here

http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif

Sapeod
07-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Whatever court Nadal won his last title on. At this current moment, that would be clay. Hopefully, it stays like that.

Andy1402
07-31-2012, 03:20 PM
This thread and the scrubs here

http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif

What the hell is wrong with you? Has the world wronged you today? :devil:

August
07-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Plexicushion, a mug surface.

Pratik
07-31-2012, 03:48 PM
I think 'Most disliked surface' would be more appropriate. I doubt that too many tennis fans truly hate a surface.

Either way, here clay wins by a landslide.

Andy1402
07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
I think 'Most disliked surface' would be more appropriate. I doubt that too many tennis fans truly hate a surface.

Either way, here clay wins by a landslide.

You are right. 'Disliked' would be a more appropriate word. And clay is winning by a landslide. Not too many takers for the defensive/pusher style of tennis, thank god.

BackhandDTL
07-31-2012, 04:11 PM
^ Well said. Unless people are actually skipping the events (major and all), I doubt that anyone actually *hates* these surfaces.

That said, I strongly dislike clay, and that doesn't stop or start with Nadal. I just don't like the type of tennis that it has historically rewarded. Soderling, and to a lesser extent Ferrero, were greatly refreshing to me for the game they worked on clay.

Still, I'm one for having a balance on tour and keeping from homogenized surfaces, so the bigger offense to me might be a slow hard court like the ones at Indian Wells.

luie
07-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Slow HC , hazardous on the body , long boring rallies. At least on clay u get more craft and point construction.

Paylu2007
07-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Red clay, and no, it's not cuz I dislike Nadal's gamestyle (which i REALLY REALLY do), I hated clay way long back when i started watching tennis in 1999.

I like agressive tennis, and yes, I like long rallies, but only due to both players doing an amazing job, not only because the court allows it (nowadays, more like it forces it).

BackhandDTL
07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Red clay, and no, it's not cuz I dislike Nadal's gamestyle (which i REALLY REALLY do), I hated clay way long back when i started watching tennis in 1999.

I like agressive tennis, and yes, I like long rallies, but only due to both players doing an amazing job, not only because the court allows it (nowadays, more like it forces it).

This. Critics of aggressive tennis like to reduce it to its worst form (1-2 ball bashing, hit or miss, etc.), but the truth is that there's a clean and ugly to any style of tennis. The long rallies, at their best, are elaborate, methodical, and captivating. At its worst, it barely transcends keeping the ball in play and dull pattern tennis...

Johnny Groove
07-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Whichever surface your most hated player excels at.

I knew the leader would be clay, but I didn't think it would be this extreme, my God.

The Rafa hating is reaching new heights, and the guy isn't even playing :help:

Andy1402
07-31-2012, 04:52 PM

Yes, organizers are slowing down the courts to force longer rallies. This enables grinders like ferrer and pushers like nadal, who are capable of winning on only slow surfaces, to win.
With Wimbledon becoming slower, even the Wimbledon - french double slam has become less important.

rocketassist
07-31-2012, 04:55 PM

I knew the leader would be clay, but I didn't think it would be this extreme, my God.

The slowing of outdoor hard courts has gone WAY too far.

I respect Hewitt but he's a goat. He whined about how 'slow' the Rebound Ace was in 2005(?) yet it's like carpet compared to 2012 Plexicushion and he says absolutely nothing about it.

Clay is fine, it's always been that way historically. Murray is a great defender but just like Lleyton clay's his bugbear.

Johnny Groove
07-31-2012, 04:59 PM
The slowing of outdoor hard courts has gone WAY too far.

I respect Hewitt but he's a goat. He whined about how 'slow' the Rebound Ace was in 2005(?) yet it's like carpet compared to 2012 Plexicushion and he says absolutely nothing about it.

Clay is fine, it's always been that way historically. Murray is a great defender but just like Lleyton clay's his bugbear.

Oh yeah. AO 12 final, I was cringing in that 5th set, it becomes too much.

Henry Chinaski
07-31-2012, 05:00 PM
slow indoor courts make me sick.

valencia is a disgrace to tennis

Han Solo
07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Clay

Agreed. (Although Nadal's absolute dominance on the surface requires plenty of talent too.)

However, when it comes to playing, I much prefer clay to other surfaces. You can draw your own conclusions about what that says about my talent/touch...

Mountaindewslave
07-31-2012, 05:06 PM
The funny thing is that clay before Nadal was an exciting surface with players who used lots of court craft succeeding.

Nadal is pretty crafty on the surface too.... maybe you have never watched him play on it before and haven't noticed the way he pulls players into the net with drop shots and then passes them in a million different ways on clay?

Nadal is the quintessential clay court player, fast and crafty. I understand maybe it gets a bit monogamous when the same guy whens almost every event for a surface BUT it is what it is. I like Nadal a lot so I don't mind, but then again it doesn't seem that mature as a fan of the sport for any of you to decide you dislike a surface a lot just because a player you don't like dominates it.

Mountaindewslave
07-31-2012, 05:09 PM

lol Hipolymer doesn't think the oldest surface of the sport and the most classical sense of tennis 'suits tennis'. that's like saying you don't think gloves suit baseball. if anything there should be more grass court tournaments, it's a travesty what's been happening to grass and I am still shocked there isn't ONE grass court masters, it is just insane

Mountaindewslave
07-31-2012, 05:12 PM

as though a great defense game takes no talent.... :o ... trust me, beyond running fast it is not that easy to create a very effective defense game, you have to be crafty and you have to play shots in a way that the opponent doesn't just decimate you with power

Han Solo
07-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Perhaps that's not entirely fair to the posters on here - I mean, seems to me it could be the other way round: people preferring a certain surface and the style of tennis it encourages, and then preferring the players that play that style.

Julián Santiago
07-31-2012, 05:42 PM
In my case, no one, but it`s obvious that the majority will chose clay, they hate it for Nadal and the Nadal fanboys and because in a lot of countries, like USA they are alergic to it.

I prefer the faster surfaces, but I like clay, the only surface I don´t like is the artificial green clay and the really slow hardcourts, like the New Australian Open

bjurra
07-31-2012, 05:44 PM
I hate smurf clay.

DJ Soup
07-31-2012, 05:56 PM
I like all surfaces.
Clay favours fitness and court-craft.
Grass favours first strike.
Hard favours control and aggressive baseline game.
Indoors favours precision.

I however think the court shouldn't be as homogeneous as they are right now.

The court I hate the most thankfully no longer exists: ultra fast carpet, the one that favours servers.

rocketassist
07-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Oh yeah. AO 12 final, I was cringing in that 5th set, it becomes too much.

Even going back four years or so it was only Monfils sliding on hard courts. Now almost everyone is doing it. No wonder players get knee injuries.

MTwEeZi
07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
:haha: The poll :drink:

redshift36188
07-31-2012, 10:11 PM
I like all the surfaces, each requires adjustments in the player's game in order to succeed.

Clay is my favorite when played with proper craft. Slow HC is the one I dislike a bit, but I can still enjoy it.

Even going back four years or so it was only Monfils sliding on hard courts. Now almost everyone is doing it. No wonder players get knee injuries.
It's a blessing Nole hasn't developed knee or ankle injuries yet. The guy really makes me cringe at times. The way Nadal slides seems safer to me but he does have the injuries.

RForever
07-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Slow HC, we already have clay so what is the purpose? I have to agree that last AO final was too much.
Personally I hate playing on carpet, specially when you fall on it. It is like having sex drunk on carpet, the same result, painful as hell.

Honestly
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
By this poll it's clear that true tennis fans hates clay and that its the worst surface ever. Suck on that Dulltards.

Honestly
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
:haha: The poll :drink:

The truth hurts :awww:

Matt01
07-31-2012, 10:53 PM
By this poll it's clear that true tennis fans hates clay and that its the worst surface ever. Suck on that Dulltards.

:bs:

redshift36188
07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Or maybe it proves most posters are a bunch of bandwagoners. A true tennis fan can appreciate all the different playstyles that go into each surface.

Slow hardcourt dumbs down the game a bit, but the rest is fine.

Jimnik
07-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Hard courts. They're just a load of cement.

xargon
07-31-2012, 11:48 PM
Grass is for cows

dazed1
08-01-2012, 12:03 AM
A true tennis fan can appreciate all the different playstyles that go into each surface.

NO.

Looner
08-01-2012, 12:04 AM
I appreciate clay for all its glory-creating long rallies and hate it for it :). But I still think it's a good surface for diversity - makes me appreciate proper tennis on grass even more. Slow HC is just an abomination that should not exist.

leng jai
08-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Thing is attacking tennis still works on clay and slow hard court - it just has to be more calculated. Sadly most player these days lack the patience or intelligence to produce measured aggression on a constant basis.

Andy1402
08-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Grass is for cows

The player who said this then spent the rest of his career trying to win Wimbledon.
Back to the poll, so far a lot of hate for clay has to do with hating the defensive style of tennis. Also, the fact that nadal reigns supreme there doesn't exactly help.

kinski76
08-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Gravel or ice. That simply wouldn't work.

More seriously: while I have my preferences I wouldn't want to see any of them go. Clay, grass, indoor/outdoor hc, the different surfaces favour different types of players. A little bit of diversity prevents the sport from becoming stagnant and also pulls in different kinds of spectators. It's all good.

Andy1402
08-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I appreciate clay for all its glory-creating long rallies and hate it for it :). But I still think it's a good surface for diversity - makes me appreciate proper tennis on grass even more. Slow HC is just an abomination that should not exist.

Agree. Clay is what it is naturally. It was meant to be a contrast to grass and that's what it does.
Slow HC, on the other hand, is artificially created to be super slow. The AO'12 final was one of the most boring matches ever.

Sham Kay
08-01-2012, 01:55 AM
What the hell is wrong with you? Has the world wronged you today? :devil:

He's a WTA fan from tennisforum. Something being wrong with him is implied.

Never been a fan of the clay. In fact it was probably more dull before Nadal arrived.

Andy1402
08-01-2012, 02:05 AM

Thank you. I am new here and not familiar with the trolls yet. I will ignore him from now on.

leng jai
08-01-2012, 02:10 AM

Never been a fan of the clay. In fact it was probably more dull before Nadal arrived.

You obviously missed the glory days of peak Ferrero vs Kuerten and the likes of Coria/Gaudio.

tripwires
08-01-2012, 02:13 AM
I don't hate it, but I like clay the least, except when it's blue.

eskinol
08-01-2012, 04:05 AM
I have respect for all surfaces, except blue clay.

To be honest, I dislike clay mostly for the optics of yellow on red. It's needlessly hard to see the ball. I hope they fix the (unrelated?) slipperines issues and give blue colored clay another chance somewhere next year.

LaFuria
08-01-2012, 04:09 AM
Slow HC.

Clay is great when Nadull isn't around, but slow hard courts are a travesty that rewards the worst kind of pushing.

Andy1402
08-01-2012, 04:25 AM
Slow HC.

Clay is great when Nadull isn't around, but slow hard courts are a travesty that rewards the worst kind of pushing.

Agree with every word of this post.:worship:

duong
08-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Slow HC.

+1 (but well Nadal is great on clay, just too great :lol: ), esp. Miami with the humidity and wind

then other : slow outdoor HC

fast outdoor hardcourts are great

bounccer
08-01-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm french and when internet was not in te party yet, i could only watch Roland Garros.
I was already bored to death by Wilander, Berasategui, Bruguera, later by Costa, Corretja... Coria is the only
clay courter i liked to watch.
Clay is an important surface, i'm not saying that clay should disappear, but it's annoying for me.
If the question is "what surface would you take off", it would be the Plexi. AO has become nearly as boring as the French.

duong
08-01-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm french and when internet was not in te party yet, i could only watch Roland Garros.
I was already bored to death by Wilander, Berasategui, Bruguera, later by Costa, Corretja... Coria is the only
clay courter i liked to watch.
Clay is an important surface, i'm not saying that clay should disappear, but it's annoying for me.
If the question is "what surface would you take off", it would be the Plexi. AO has become nearly as boring as the French.

I'm a little bit in the same case as you, but Noah and Leconte's matches on clay in the past have been heavily printed in my mind :D , maybe you were a little bit too young to fully live Noah's runs at his peak.

I also loved Becker on clay, and 1989's Chang run is also heavily printed in my mind. The Spaniards were less interesting to me, true, sorry for them :o

leng jai
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Rebound Ace = GOAT surface. Still remember Safin's kick serve bouncing over people's heads.

Andy1402
08-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Rebound Ace = GOAT surface. Still remember Safin's kick serve bouncing over people's heads.

I didn't pay attention to tennis then, but what surface are you talking about? Or did safin's serve fly on every surface?

LoveFifteen
08-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Shocking that clay is winning on a forum full of bitter Federer fans who seethe with rage that another player dared to come along and actually try to beat him instead of just capitulating weakly like all the other midgets on tour.

Rabid, bitter Fedtards yearn for the glory days when Federer was dominating legends like Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, and Safin. :o

Pirata.
08-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Shocking that clay is winning on a forum full of bitter Federer fans who seethe with rage that another player dared to come along and actually try to beat him instead of just capitulating weakly like all the other midgets on tour.

Rabid, bitter Fedtards yearn for the glory days when Federer was dominating legends like Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, and Safin. :o

Davydenko has a winning H2H against Rafa, if you were going for some kind of weak era argument there.

Nidhogg
08-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Most "medium-slow" hardcourts today which either play like sandpaper, quicksand or velcro in combination with the modern balls.

cutesteve22
08-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Rebound Ace = GOAT surface. Still remember Safin's kick serve bouncing over people's heads.I love Rebound Ace and its color, I hate them changed the surface.

Lazyking
08-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I like them all.

Orka_n
08-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Slow hardcourts.

Boring as shit.

mystic ice cube
08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Slow hardcourt. Never liked it. I have respect for any of the other surfaces though.

rocketassist
08-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Plexipave and Laykold closely followed by Plexicushion are the worst surfaces on tour.

Hewitt is a bitch with no balls. He whined about Rebound Ace not being quick enough despite it being like ice in comparison to the current AO courts.

Clay is fine. Clay has always been fine. Nadal's monopolisation is dull, but at least it's acceptable unlike the slowing of other slams in order to ensure top player SFs and Fs.

Andy1402
08-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Plexipave and Laykold closely followed by Plexicushion are the worst surfaces on tour.

Hewitt is a bitch with no balls. He whined about Rebound Ace not being quick enough despite it being like ice in comparison to the current AO courts.

Clay is fine. Clay has always been fine. Nadal's monopolisation is dull, but at least it's acceptable unlike the slowing of other slams in order to ensure top player SFs and Fs.

Very true. Slowing down of courts to the current level is criminal.

Chase Visa
08-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Slow hards.

MuzzahLovah
08-07-2012, 07:58 AM
I like clay, I just don't like Nadal or Almagro so I don't like a lot of the matches. Watching Soderking dominate on it is fun though.