LA Final: Sam Querrey destroys Berankis 6-0 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

LA Final: Sam Querrey destroys Berankis 6-0 6-2

Young 8
07-29-2012, 09:02 PM
http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/vc_star_photo_blog/assets_c/2010/10/0725_spo_SPquerreyB-thumb-548x378-13925.jpg

Zambanas
07-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Sam actually had nothing to do but serve well, Berankis self-destructed himself here.. Tons of UEs from Rycka, looked very tight and lost all confidence he had going into the match...

Mark Lenders
07-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Closer than expected.

Berankis is a huge mug, although he does seem like a nice guy.

freddiek
07-29-2012, 09:07 PM
for Sam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b5LzCOc98E

Lazyking
Yup. Sam is a better, smarter player at this time and Berankis was tight as can be early... needs to work on the Backhand badly. This won't be the last final for Rycka.

Congrats to Sam. inside top 40 again. I really think he can be America's best player.

LastRocket
Tough to stop Querrey when he is on. Good week for Rycka :)

viruzzz
Well... I think finally old Sam is back.

Finally, for fuck's sake.

Freak3yman84
07-29-2012, 09:08 PM
It was my first time seeing Berankis. I think it's safe to say I wasn't impressed :o But I know he's better than that, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten to the final ;)

niff
07-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Ouch.

samanosuke
07-29-2012, 09:09 PM
combination of potential and talent of young guys showed at full flight

navy75
The fans in LA really didn't get their money's worth all week. Great run by Sam though!

Armless
Closer than expected.

Of course he's a mug, he made a final. :rolleyes:

Not much to say, Querrey was solid and relentless. Berankis was tight and terrible. No serve, no confidence in his shots. Better player won.

navy75
Berankis was simply overwhelmed by being in his first final.

Lazyking
07-29-2012, 09:10 PM
It was my first time seeing Berankis. I think it's safe to say I wasn't impressed :o But I know he's better than that, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten to the final ;)

Yes he is better then that, he was obviously really nervous.. he has a really good forehand and can return pretty well but niether were there. Sam targeted the backhand early and Berankis crumpled.

glad he didn't get double bageled..

Hypnotize
07-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. This was a Challenger level tournament and Querry was the first quality player he faced.

Sombrerero loco
07-29-2012, 09:31 PM
my god rycka :o nice week though

tennisfan856
07-29-2012, 09:33 PM
i like the confidence that sam displayed on tuesday, saying this is his tournament to win and he better get it.

Congrats sam, we need some legit players unlike harrison and young.

Lazyking
07-29-2012, 09:46 PM
i like the confidence that sam displayed on tuesday, saying this is his tournament to win and he better get it.

No reason he can't win Washington as well.. only a slightly better tourny..

its funny that Berankis and Sam could meet in final again.. highly unlikely of course..

Rumour
07-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Congrats to Sam. inside top 40 again. I really think he can be America's best player.

:yeah:

While I don't follow Querrey closely, he's currently the only American player I like so I'm glad he won this tourney and is climbing back up the rankings :cool:

Smoke944
07-29-2012, 10:19 PM

:spit: Please

KarlyM
07-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Congrats Sam! :yeah:

tennisfan856
07-29-2012, 10:21 PM
No reason he can't win Washington as well.. only a slightly better tourny..

its funny that Berankis and Sam could meet in final again.. highly unlikely of course..

I agree that sam has a nice shot, but it is a much trickier tournament imo. Not sure about the condition of Fish, but PHM, Chardy, and Anderson could give him a tough time.

Excluding a poor draw, I think we can see a deep run from Sam at the USO, say fourth round.

:spit: Please

not sure what you are getting at, but a motivated and in-form querrey is a dangerous player. And the two I mentioned are hackers.

Smoke944
07-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Do you think Querrey will ever actually accomplish something significant?

jrm
07-29-2012, 10:33 PM
that was ... easy

tennisfan856
07-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Do you think Querrey will ever actually accomplish something significant?

Significant as winning a major? No, but I haven't had that feeling about any of the Americans since Roddick's collapse at Wimbledon. My standards are lower now, where I would be satisfied with a deep run in a tournament and there was positive play there, something to look forward to in the future. A lot of things would have to go right for an American to win a major, and it isn't happening. But, I do think based on current form that he is the most dangerous American we have now. That can all change if Mardy returns strong and if Isner ever wakes up from his slumber. Andy is just finished as a threat, and you've watched the baker horror show recently.

Bottom line is, I enjoy his serve and forehand more than whatever the young american top 100 players are trying to display out there.

uxyzapenje
07-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Closer than expected.

:haha: :haha: :superlol:

On topic, welcome back to TOP40 Sam :hatoff:

evilmindbulgaria
07-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Closer than expected.

:lol: What did you expect?

Congrats, Sam, you are the King of L.A. ! Only Connors with more titles now :worship:

mooncreek
07-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Too bad the old Sam showed up just after the French Open. Would have kept Donald Young from embarrassing himself in the Olympics.

Dmitry Verdasco
07-30-2012, 02:00 AM
Berankis was simply overwhelmed by being in his first final.

It's too early for him. It's such a shame Matosevic had to tank their SF to make it to Washington in time, it probably would have worked out better for both of them if he won, like he could of, easily, if he wanted to.

:shrug:

BroTree123
07-30-2012, 02:02 AM
The L.A GOAT :rocker2:

Rycka froze up in the final. What a nightmare for him :awww:

jcempire
07-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Yup. Sam is a better, smarter player at this time and Berankis was tight as can be early... needs to work on the Backhand badly. This won't be the last final for Rycka.

I agree with you because Roddick and Fish get older and rest of young players all suck. Isner inconsistence and 6"9 no good for tennis.

Sam would be best American If he keep doing positive like he does so far this week

Slade
07-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Berankis you mug. :facepalm:

n8
07-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Looks bad but Querrey is very good in L.A., even beating Murray in the 2010 final.

Nole Rules
07-30-2012, 06:06 AM
Closer than expected.

:haha: :spit:

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Mark Lenders.

Mountaindewslave
07-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Significant as winning a major? No, but I haven't had that feeling about any of the Americans since Roddick's collapse at Wimbledon. My standards are lower now, where I would be satisfied with a deep run in a tournament and there was positive play there, something to look forward to in the future. A lot of things would have to go right for an American to win a major, and it isn't happening. But, I do think based on current form that he is the most dangerous American we have now. That can all change if Mardy returns strong and if Isner ever wakes up from his slumber. Andy is just finished as a threat, and you've watched the baker horror show recently.

Bottom line is, I enjoy his serve and forehand more than whatever the young american top 100 players are trying to display out there.

Roddick can still be a threat and he came very close to winning Wimbledon and did practically everything he could. always lots of hope I think for the Americans but esspecially with Roddick I think you are not giving him enough credit. he could get back into good physical shape and surprise you

Mountaindewslave
07-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Closer than expected.

as usual, a waste of space post from you. apparently everyone is a clown to you unless that are on TV every other day and apparently you haven't played the sport much if you don't recognize that such a young player's first final might be intimidating enough to enable them to play poorly.

I hope you are being sarcastic because otherwise it means that you have no insight or understandings of how tough it can be for young talent to get the confidence needed to close tournaments out :o

dencod16
07-30-2012, 07:01 AM
I think that it's down to Roddick, Querrey, and Harrison to have deep runs in Major, ROddick today, querrey and Harrison the next few weeks. Depends on how Roddick goes through his first round and if he wins, how he plays against Nole, win or lose.

latso
07-30-2012, 07:36 AM
as usual, a waste of space post from you. apparently everyone is a clown to you unless that are on TV every other day and apparently you haven't played the sport much if you don't recognize that such a young player's first final might be intimidating enough to enable them to play poorly.

I hope you are being sarcastic because otherwise it means that you have no insight or understandings of how tough it can be for young talent to get the confidence needed to close tournaments out :o
You're absolutely right, despite that in this case it wasn't a matter of mental toughness.

Berankis is still far from a top 50 level and Sam would have taken this final with Rycka mentaly there or not.

The youngster had this bad injury and lost a lot of what he had before, but he's obviously on the right path and that's great.

I watched him in Sofia couple months ago in Davis Cup, the singles match that he won against Greece and tbh it was far from impressive, but you can see he has the potential (btw the Greek guy looked with some potential as well, i don't know who he is, but if he's in his early 20s he could be in the challengers loop, top 200 f.e.).

Anyways, congrats to Rycka for his first ATP final, hopefully not the last and congrats Sam for a more than deserved tittle.

Lazyking
07-30-2012, 07:40 AM
^Rycka still would have lost certainly but not nine games in a row like he did with the nerves. His forehand was awful today which from what I've seen is his major weapon.. .

SelvenluvJo
07-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Congrats to Rica anyway, he got into his first ATP final. I guess he will have a better career than his today's opponent. But congrats to Sam as well, he is nice.