What is the fifth slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is the fifth slam?

August
07-29-2012, 09:10 PM
What is the "5th slam", or does it even exist? I think no "5th slam" exists. To me, YEC feels too much like a tennis promoting event that doesn't have an permanent venue and has Round Robin to ensure each top player plays at least three matches. And OG is way too seldom to be very important. You can't blame a player if he doesn't win OG, you need some luck to be on the top of your playing in the OG year. And no Masters stands out as more important than other.

So, I'd vote no 5th slam exists, but I'll read some comments before voting.

Pirata.
07-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Cincy :shrug:

Looner
07-29-2012, 09:21 PM
WTF, if there's one.

Orka_n
07-29-2012, 09:23 PM
No such thing.

The fifth most important tournament however is the YEC.

Deathless Mortal
07-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Umag

henke007
07-29-2012, 09:24 PM
the one that Goat has won 6 times

Mercury
07-29-2012, 09:24 PM
There is none. Slams are slams. No other tournament has the history or prestige to compete.

If you were to ask which tournament is most important AFTER the 4 slams I'd say WTF.

Time Violation
07-29-2012, 09:27 PM
There is none. Slams are slams. No other tournament has the history or prestige to compete.

Agree

The Prince
07-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Well, Newport, Umag, Casablanca & Houston obviously cannot be matched, they are the slams for a reason, but Wimbledon isn't far off them? :shrug:

EddieNero
07-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Micky Carlo obviously.

cswab22
07-29-2012, 09:35 PM
World Tour Finals

Johnny Groove
07-29-2012, 09:39 PM
It goes:

1. Wimbledon
2/3/4. The other 3 slams
5. YEC
6. Olympics
7. Miami
8. Rome

Honestly
07-29-2012, 09:41 PM
WTF kinda question is this? Everyone knows it's Newport.

On a serious note, everyone knows it's the WTF.

Honestly
07-29-2012, 09:42 PM
It goes:

1. Wimbledon
2/3/4. The other 3 slams
5. YEC
6. Olympics
7. Miami
8. Rome

With mugs like Massu and Rosset having won the OG? Not so sure it belongs at #6..

Vinceremo
07-29-2012, 09:47 PM
The Trofeo Regione Piemonte, ATP Challenger Torino for the casual fans but mostly known as The Warlocq's Lair.

BackhandDTL
07-29-2012, 09:50 PM
There is none. The WTF/YEC is too far removed from the tour calendar for it to be seriously considered. It feels more like a promotional event than anything else.

As for Miami and those other tournaments: one player (Roddick?) said it best when they said that there is no fifth slam if they can't even bother to televise the opening rounds of such events.

I have a question... Some people have mentioned Rome, and I know in the 70's-80's it was considered what Miami is today, but why?

Johnny Groove
07-29-2012, 09:50 PM
With mugs like Massu and Rosset having won the OG? Not so sure it belongs at #6..

Look at the full history of the Olympic tennis gold. You'll find it quite GOAT.

And even Rosset had to beat Courier, Sanchez, and Ivanisevic to win the gold.

Honestly
07-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Look at the full history of the Olympic tennis gold. You'll find it quite GOAT.

And even Rosset had to beat Courier, Sanchez, and Ivanisevic to win the gold.

Well there isn't a very long history is there? None of the old GOATs even played it.

Jovard
07-29-2012, 09:52 PM
This is so TF topic :wavey:

Looner
07-29-2012, 09:53 PM

Of course it doesn't. Miami has far more history as well as Rome as well as Monte Carlo as well as Hamburg. Olympics is not even close.

Honestly
07-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Of course it doesn't. Miami has far more history as well as Rome as well as Monte Carlo as well as Hamburg. Olympics is not even close.

Fuck the Olympics. It should go way down that list. Tennis shouldn't even be an Olympic sport. I don't care if Roger wins the gold. He just wants it cos it's being played at Wimby.

GSMnadal
07-29-2012, 09:58 PM

No one is trading in an Olympic Gold for a Miami/Rome title :lol:

Johnny Groove
07-29-2012, 10:00 PM
There is none. The WTF/YEC is too far removed from the tour calendar for it to be seriously considered. It feels more like a promotional event than anything else.

As for Miami and those other tournaments: one player (Roddick?) said it best when they said that there is no fifth slam if they can't even bother to televise the opening rounds of such events.

I have a question... Some people have mentioned Rome, and I know in the 70's-80's it was considered what Miami is today, but why?

#5 is still the WTF, though I think they need to switch it to right after the US Open and have the Asian and indoor swing optional.

Rome has a fine and long illustrious history of being a quality clay court event since 1930.

Well there isn't a very long history is there? None of the old GOATs even played it.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12262405&postcount=191

I also refer to you:

They've been playing the Olympics since 1896, my man. Sure, many years it wasn't in the Olympics, but that adds to the prestige, it being so elusive. And all time greats have won it.

Rome has been since 1930, Monte Carlo since 1897, Hamburg since 1892. Only Hamburg has been around longer. Miami has only been around since 1985, but it is big business, and money talks. Actually, Cincy has been since 1899, and Canada since 1881!!!!

So:

1. Wimbledon- 1877
2. US Open- 1881
3. Canada Masters- 1881
4. Sydney 250- 1885
5. Queens- 1890
6. French Open- 1891
7. Hamburg- 1892
8. Olympics- 1896
9. Monte Carlo- 1897
10. Cincinnati- 1899
11. Davis Cup- 1900
12. Australian Open- 1905
13. Houston- 1910
14. Los Angeles- 1927
15. Gstaad- 1946
16. Bastad- 1948
17. Kitzbuhel- 1948
18. Stuttgart- 1949
19. Barcelona- 1953
20. Buenos Aires- 1966
21. Paris Indoors- 1968
22. Washington- 1969
23. Stockholm- 1969
24. YEC- 1970
25. Indian Wells- 1974
26. Miami- 1985
27. Madrid- 1990

Looner
07-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Saying they've been around long means nothing. They were barely played for the best part of 50 years. I mean, come on...

Fuck the Olympics. It should go way down that list. Tennis shouldn't even be an Olympic sport. I don't care if Roger wins the gold. He just wants it cos it's being played at Wimby.

Affirmative, general ;).

Honestly
07-29-2012, 10:05 PM
#5 is still the WTF, though I think they need to switch it to right after the US Open and have the Asian and indoor swing optional.

Rome has a fine and long illustrious history of being a quality clay court event since 1930.

I also refer to you:

They've been playing the Olympics since 1896, my man. Sure, many years it wasn't in the Olympics, but that adds to the prestige, it being so elusive. And all time greats have won it.

Rome has been since 1930, Monte Carlo since 1897, Hamburg since 1892. Only Hamburg has been around longer. Miami has only been around since 1985, but it is big business, and money talks. Actually, Cincy has been since 1899, and Canada since 1881!!!!

So how many of the old GOATs on the top 10 of your GOAT list actually played the Olympics?

Pirata.
07-29-2012, 10:07 PM
The Olympics itself is immensely prestigious, but in the context of the sport of tennis, it has less general prestige than events like Rome and Monte Carlo. If someone outside of Fedal had won the gold in Beijing, I wonder if it would have the same hype as it does now.

Looner
07-29-2012, 10:10 PM
If someone outside of Fedal had won the gold in Beijing, I wonder if it would have the same hype as it does now.

No, because then the RNtards would not be able to cling to it and Davis cup as the only thing their boy has won (although DC should never be included). I hope Roger wins the gold for himself and so I can see the end of this pointless argument.

Honestly
07-29-2012, 10:16 PM
No, because then the RNtards would not be able to cling to it and Davis cup as the only thing their boy has won (although DC should never be included). I hope Roger wins the gold for himself and so I can see the end of this pointless argument.

Affirmative General. Dulltards cling to the OG cos it's the only thing their man has achieved that the GOAT hasn't even though there are a million other more important thing the GOAT has achieved that Dull hasn't achieved. That's why I don't give a shit about the OG. DC is even more pointless :o

Whiznot
07-29-2012, 10:23 PM
You can throw out all the votes for "no fifth slam exists". The poll question is equivalent to what is the biggest tournament after the slams. WTF is the correct and obvious answer. 1,500 ATP points to the winner and no one gets through because of an easy draw.

Johnny Groove
07-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Now I see what is going on. Fedtards self-conscience, trying their best to make themselves believe Olympics and Davis Cup are unimportant.

I will play the game.

So how many of the old GOATs on the top 10 of your GOAT list actually played the Olympics?

Of the Top 10 all time? Only Fed, Nadal, and Sampras. The Olympics wasn't around for a long time, that is the only thing holding the event back. I think in the coming years, it will become more prestigious.

Sombrerero loco
07-29-2012, 10:25 PM
madrid in blue clay :lol:

Looner
07-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Now I see what is going on. Fedtards self-conscience, trying their best to make themselves believe Olympics and Davis Cup are unimportant.

I will play the game.

Mind, I never accused you of being a RNtard but if you continue with such posts , I might change my mind. How is the fact the Olympics were played once or twice before they were reintroduced in 1988 comparable to Hamburg, Rome and Canada's long history as a tennis venue. It's not.

Honestly
07-29-2012, 10:44 PM

I will play the game.

Of the Top 10 all time? Only Fed, Nadal, and Sampras. The Olympics wasn't around for a long time, that is the only thing holding the event back. I think in the coming years, it will become more prestigious.

That's what I thought, and of the 3 Sampy didn't even give a shit about the OG. Didn't he pull out one year or something? You know it's a stupid event Groove. I know you are a smart fella.

Andi-M
07-29-2012, 10:57 PM
WTF is the 5th biggest event, but for all its importance it isn't a patch on slams...nothing is. 4 slams, thats all.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
07-29-2012, 11:13 PM
some argue its harder to win a WTF than a slam
because you could always get a cakewalk draw and win a slam (usopen 2010)

TigerTim
07-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Miami :haha:

What a terrible Masters, good at one thing, drastically shortening tennis players careers by destroying their knees on the shitty blue clay. Frankly I'd rather have a shanghai victory than a title from that shithole. Only Micky Carlo comes close along with Mughai in terms of clown level. For me Olympics don't count because they are once every 4 years, neither YEC because it's only 8 people and fucking ruined when they moved it to Germany, money talks i guess :shrug:

Paris is also mug, make it fucking carpet retards :smash: and cincinnati is Cincinatti. As for Madrid...... So I would say Canada/Rome/Indian Wells are best outside slams, Rome being best on clay and Indian Wells being best on hard. Indian Wells wins for it's huge draw and 2 weeks (not sure if it's still 2 weeks though :o)

The best 500, Vultureburg aside is Dubai and the best 250 is of course Queens, with Surbiton Challenger close behind

RForever
07-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Olympics? No way! Once in 4 years, one can even completely miss it if he is injured 3 times in his career just during the event. Bo3, empty seats, some good players cant even attend if there are 3 better players in his country but some mug from mugistan can be there as there is no better mug in there. Tennis just becomes an unimportant dot in the big commercial picture of olympics.

156mphserve
07-29-2012, 11:37 PM
I wonder how many Fedtards will change their mind about the Olympics not meaning anything if Federer wins Gold this year.

Also I wonder how many Nadal haters are saying it means nothing only because Nadal has won it

uxyzapenje
07-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Who cares how old the tournaments are if they are not important? Sydney is much older than Madrid, but tell me who would rather win Sydney than Madrid. Olympics are big and I heard ppl tergeting to peak for OG and wanting so bad to play there. I didn't hear 'Oh i want to play Rome so bad, that is my goal for this year, to try to win Rome'. Ppl who win medals at OGs (not just gold) are celebrated in their caountries, much mroe than Masters winners. You can argue WTF vs OG, but not regular masters vs OG. And no one would trade their Olympic gold for Rome or Miami trophie (and most wouldn't for a WTF trohipe). How important 1 tournament is is not counting their ATP points. That would be stupid, like saying winning 8 ATP250s = GS

Looner
07-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Who cares how old the tournaments are if they are not important? Sydney is much older than Madrid, but tell me who would rather win Sydney than Madrid. Olympics are big and I heard ppl tergeting to peak for OG and wanting so bad to play there. I didn't hear 'Oh i want to play Rome so bad, that is my goal for this year, to try to win Rome'. Ppl who win medals at OGs (not just gold) are celebrated in their caountries, much mroe than Masters winners. You can argue WTF vs OG, but not regular masters vs OG. And no one would trade their Olympic gold for Rome or Miami trophie (and most wouldn't for a WTF trohipe). How important 1 tournament is is not counting their ATP points. That would be stupid, like saying winning 8 ATP250s = GS

1. Who?

2. Because the general audience knows more about Olympics than the particular sport of tennis. It doesn't change anything in terms of tennis value

3. The last part of your post is wishful thinking, as you've never asked the question.

Moozza
07-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Why are there so many 'fifth slam' threads going around?

156mphserve
07-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Why are there so many 'fifth slam' threads going around?

I agree, there are too many of them. We need to come to some kind of conclusion so we can then start a "what is the 6th slam" thread:)

Matt01
07-30-2012, 12:02 AM
No fifth Slam exists. There are only 4 Slams but I admit it was a tricky question ;)

uxyzapenje
07-30-2012, 12:05 AM
1. Who?

2. Because the general audience knows more about Olympics than the particular sport of tennis. It doesn't change anything in terms of tennis value

3. The last part of your post is wishful thinking, as you've never asked the question.

1. Novak this year. He said: Primary goals are RG and OG
2. That just adds to the to their desire to win it. If the player wins it he becomes more famous, people celebrate him and you cant say a player doesn't like being a nations sports hero. And what is one more Masters to Fed/Rafa/Novak in comparesment to the gold you have a chance to win 3 or 4 (max) times in your career
3. What part?

Matt01
07-30-2012, 12:10 AM
1. Novak this year. He said: Primary goals are RG and OG

Reason why he said that and not AO or WI or USO is quite obvious, no?

uxyzapenje
07-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Reason why he said that and not AO or WI or USO is quite obvious, no?

Yes, but he sure didn't say 'My goal is to peak for and win Monte Carlo, Cincinnati and Shanghai'

TigerTim
07-30-2012, 12:34 AM
Yes, but he sure didn't say 'My goal is to peak for and win Monte Carlo, Cincinnati and Shanghai'

If you are talking about Murray regarding the latter two, then he probably did say that.

Kuhne
07-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Wimbledon
Acapulco
US open
Frenchies
Aussies
WTF and Olympics

NYMIKE
07-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Tennis has always been a pro sport, so olympics are not the best showcase for it, it gets little coverage compared to sports like track and field and gymnastics, for those sports its all about olympics. Nadal winning the tournament raised the prestige of the tournament, however if a player other than Djokovic or Roger wins the olympics this event will hurt more. As of today clearly there is no such thing as fifth slam.

swisht4u
07-30-2012, 01:37 AM
Went with the WTF.

Olympics is only every 4 years so no one can build a resume out of it.

tripwires
07-30-2012, 02:52 AM
There is no fifth slam.

Paylu2007
07-30-2012, 03:16 AM
No need for a 5th slam,then ppl would ask what is the 6th, and so on, until Mexicans finally get the say that Mickeypulco is the 102th slam!

BroTree123
07-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Went with the WTF.

Olympics is only every 4 years so no one can build a resume out of it.

You probably can, if one was able to defend it. Winning it like 3 consecutive times would be something....

jcempire
07-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Miami Masters for sure

year end CHampionship only 8 players

only eight guy play a slam? Are you kidding me

Slade
07-30-2012, 05:42 AM
Umug

Mountaindewslave
07-30-2012, 07:59 AM
No one is trading in an Olympic Gold for a Miami/Rome title :lol:

what???? be realistic, winning the tennis Olympics obviously holds much more weight and prestige than winning any master series events. no one will remember who won what individual masters but everyone remembers who wins the Olympics, even the tennis olympics which obviously is less popular that some other respective sports

Action Jackson
07-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Just like the Lochness Monster it doesn't exist.

Johnny Groove
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
what???? be realistic, winning the tennis Olympics obviously holds much more weight and prestige than winning any master series events. no one will remember who won what individual masters but everyone remembers who wins the Olympics, even the tennis olympics which obviously is less popular that some other respective sports

Yep.

Everyone remembers Massu winning Olympics 2004, right off the top of your head.

Does anyone remember who won Miami 2004? Might take a little while.

"Well Nadal beat Fed, there were some upsets, Coria had to retire in the final...oh yeah, it was Roddick!"

MacTheKnife
07-30-2012, 01:11 PM
The French Open

nole_no1
07-30-2012, 01:15 PM
There is no such thing as a 5th slam

Andy1402
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
That's what I thought, and of the 3 Sampy didn't even give a shit about the OG. Didn't he pull out one year or something? You know it's a stupid event Groove. I know you are a smart fella.

It's not a stupid event. Winning gold for their country is every athletes dream.
As far as tennis is concerned for us fans, it's not important because we support a player irrespective of their nationality.
For the players themselves, Olympics do hold importance, but not for fans.