why Tennis is not getting any coverage ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

why Tennis is not getting any coverage ?

severus
07-28-2012, 05:03 PM
In my country we have 12 channels covering olympics and none show lawn tennis, while covering frigging archery and other minor sports.:mad:

RForever
07-28-2012, 05:04 PM
In my country we have 12 channels covering olympics and none show lawn tennis, while covering frigging archery and other minor sports.:mad:

Let them have their 15 mins of glory once in 4 years.

swebright
07-28-2012, 05:07 PM
I would love to see archery !!

They are showing tennis, beach volleyball (yum), football, gymnastics, cycling and some rowing. 4-5 channels covering.

Paylu2007
Let them have their 15 mins of glory once in 4 years.

This.

delboy
move to the UK they are showing everything.

NyGeL
07-28-2012, 05:15 PM
They are showing in Argentina. Nalby/Tipsy, Fed/Falla and part of Berdych/Darcis plus some highlights. I'm watching doubles between AUT and GBR at ESPN.

TigerTim
07-28-2012, 05:32 PM
In the UK we have 24 channels and 3/4 showing tennis

alter ego
07-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Just 4 channels in Romania but I saw Roger's match on tv. :)

Helevorn
07-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Sky Sport has one channel dedicated to tennis here, although I do not know if they transmit the same way everywhere

nole_no1
07-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Just 4 channels in Romania but I saw Roger's match on tv. :)

Tvr 1, Tvr 2, Eurosport and... :confused: I saw Federer vs Falla on tv too. Also they broadcasted Serena vs Jankovic

simplet
07-28-2012, 05:46 PM
12 channels? Are you french? I only see eurosport and france 2 broadcasting anything

henke007
07-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Tv showed Rogers match and nothing else. :lol:

Fujee
07-28-2012, 05:47 PM
The BBC got it covered yo

nazzac
07-28-2012, 05:50 PM
In the UK we have 24 channels and 3/4 showing tennis

How do you get those extra channels? I have bbc 1, bbc 3, bbc hd, and interactive. Not the other 20 channels :confused:

TigerTim
07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
How do you get those extra channels? I have bbc 1, bbc 3, bbc hd, and interactive. Not the other 20 channels :confused:

Digital, I have Virgin and the channels are from 573-593ish

alter ego
07-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Tvr 1, Tvr 2, Eurosport and... :confused: I saw Federer vs Falla on tv too. Also they broadcasted Serena vs Jankovic

Dolce sport.

PitsOfTheWorld
07-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah, we have a channel dedicated to tennis here, too.

Lugburz
07-28-2012, 08:21 PM
I wish Berdych match wasn't on TV :rolleyes:

nobama
07-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeah, we have a channel dedicated to tennis here, too.

Which is great because at means we get tennis live. And NBC is showing the singles finals live next weekend. But I'll still bitch about them as we get next to no swimming of gymnastics live. :(

156mphserve
07-28-2012, 08:29 PM
All I saw of tennis today was 2 points of Roger's match when they showed highlights, not covering it at all unfortunately. Hopefully when Milos and Vasek plays tomorrow they might show some of it live

Mr. Oracle
07-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Anyone post a link to a live feed via the internet?

bobbynorwich
07-28-2012, 08:37 PM
In the US, the Bravo Channel (subsidiary of NBC) is showing exclusively tennis for about 10 hours per day. MSNBC and NBC are also reporting on Olympics, with some tennis coverage.

Btw, why is badminton an Olympic sport, but not baseball or softball?

156mphserve
07-28-2012, 08:44 PM
There are a lot of things that shouldn't be an Olympic sport before they got rid of Baseball and Softball. Not saying they're not Olympic worthy as for a lot of sports the Olympics is basically all ther is, then nobody cares about them for 4 more years. That's not the case with Baseball and to a lesser extent softball but they shouldn't have gotten rid of them

Litotes
07-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Btw, why is badminton an Olympic sport, but not baseball or softball?

Badminton is big in Asia and has a lot of countries participation in the World Championships, not like baseball which is big in a select few countries and basically non-existent in the rest of the world. They dropped baseball and softball because of the "must be present in a lot of countries"-requirement. If they had two drop some more, badminton would not be the first to go.

Federer in 2
07-28-2012, 09:01 PM
In Israel they showed only Berdych and a part of Serena :(

HeretiC
07-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Well guys, thanks for the BBC 24 HD channels info, I was wondering wtf are brits doing with the coverage and watched the whole day on italian and arabian stations. Now I got them all. :bounce:

mike s.
07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Badminton is big in Asia and has a lot of countries participation in the World Championships, not like baseball which is big in a select few countries and basically non-existent in the rest of the world. They dropped baseball and softball because of the "must be present in a lot of countries"-requirement. If they had two drop some more, badminton would not be the first to go.

I really think this argument is ridiculous. The sport is huge in Cuba, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Japan, the U.S., Taiwan, and South Korea. Plus it's popular enough to field competitive teams in Mexico, Canada and others. There are several sports in the Olympics where there's not this global reach and popularity, it's not like American football which is only popular in the U.S. The truth is that it's just not popular in Europe, and Europeans have dominated the leadership at the IOC so they decided to get rid of it.

The Prince
07-28-2012, 10:23 PM
BBC Sport website.

Dmitry Verdasco
07-28-2012, 10:26 PM

It's because tennis doesn't belong in the Olympics.

nastoff
07-28-2012, 10:29 PM
archery is great! It will be over in a couple of days anyway
the BBC has dedicated 5 channels to cover tennis alone, so it's probably to do with the network that covers the Olympics in your country.

swebright
07-28-2012, 10:49 PM
I want to see badminton; any good stream which can be watched from Canada??

HeretiC
07-28-2012, 11:04 PM
archery is great! It will be over in a couple of days anyway
the BBC has dedicated 5 channels to cover tennis alone, so it's probably to do with the network that covers the Olympics in your country.

Only two channels tomorrow for tennis BBC Olympics 4 and BBC Olympics 5??? :confused:

Men's and women's singles

Men's and women's first-round singles matches from Centre Court, Wimbledon.
Length8 hours 10 mins Sports, Tennis

Men and women's doubles

Coverage of the men's and women's first-round doubles matches on Court No 1 at Wimbledon.

Yappa
07-28-2012, 11:37 PM
12 channels? Are you french? I only see eurosport and france 2 broadcasting anything

Well, if we assume that he's not one of those ppl who use wrong country flags, then he's probably referring to the livestreams on the france 2 HP.
French Pay TV channel beIN Sport shows a lot of Olympic tennis btw.

German TV is only offering a few selected matches via live stream on their site, so I am using the BBC Player a lot.

Bad Religion
07-29-2012, 01:02 AM
We had a good tennis coverage here in Latin America. Plus, the tennis tournament is quite debated in shows related to the Olympics. So, I have no complains

munZe konZa
07-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Maybe they are not showing it because the stadium is half empty ?

Litotes
07-29-2012, 07:57 AM
I really think this argument is ridiculous. The sport is huge in Cuba, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Japan, the U.S., Taiwan, and South Korea. Plus it's popular enough to field competitive teams in Mexico, Canada and others. There are several sports in the Olympics where there's not this global reach and popularity, it's not like American football which is only popular in the U.S. The truth is that it's just not popular in Europe, and Europeans have dominated the leadership at the IOC so they decided to get rid of it.

Well, I'm not saying that is not enough, but there is no doubt baseball is played in fewer nations that any current Olympic sport. The fact that some sports (like river rafting) is not really big in any country (at least as far as I know) is apparently not a concern.

If the US really wanted baseball on the program, though, the least they could do was to field a team strong enough to beat the Cubans. This they managed only once in three attempts from 2000 to 2008, after the amateur requirement was lifted. A few stars might have made a difference to the sport's Olympic future.

l_mac
07-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Only two channels tomorrow for tennis BBC Olympics 4 and BBC Olympics 5??? :confused:

Men's and women's singles

Men's and women's first-round singles matches from Centre Court, Wimbledon.

Men and women's doubles

Coverage of the men's and women's first-round doubles matches on Court No 1 at Wimbledon.

On the red button yesterday they had coverage from 4/5 courts.