The Olympic Tennis looks horrendous! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Olympic Tennis looks horrendous!

Backhand_Maestro
07-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Disgusting colours make it look so weird!

Slice Winner
07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Calm down. Put on some sunglasses and you'll be grand.

uxyzapenje
07-28-2012, 01:49 PM
U mad bro?

Backhand_Maestro
07-28-2012, 01:50 PM
U mad bro?

u wot m8 ?

vauxguy
07-28-2012, 01:54 PM
It's not the colours that are the problem it's the rows of empty seats on the courts.

decrepitude
07-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Darned if I know how, when my daughter and I tried for days to get tickets and couldn't!

TigerTim
07-28-2012, 02:34 PM
No one is there

Time Violation
07-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Lol, what a snob :)

tripwires
07-28-2012, 02:35 PM
How nice you got to see it. 10 Olympic channels. 0 with tennis on. :banana:

Mystique
07-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I kind of agree. The purple just doesnt agree with me. Makes an oddly bright combo with the green :o
but then again they are messing with Wimbledon :shrug:

RogerFan82
07-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Darned if I know how, when my daughter and I tried for days to get tickets and couldn't!

I read attendances are capped at 26,000 for Olympics at AELTC whereas at Wimbledon it was 40,000. Most probably a large percentage of seats are reserved for Olympic fatcats and sponsors but no one bothered to show up.

No atmosphere at all. Looks like a zombie town.

philosophicalarf
07-28-2012, 03:02 PM
I read attendances are capped at 26,000 for Olympics at AELTC whereas at Wimbledon it was 40,000.

Less courts in use, and less days. Not sure if that makes up the full difference though.

oematoema
07-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Disgusting colours make it look so weird!

What? Your signature?

Backhand_Maestro
07-28-2012, 03:31 PM
What? Your signature?

bwaha :rolleyes:

Imperfect Angel
07-28-2012, 03:36 PM
No wonder Fed sucks.:tape: :oh:

cardio
07-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Purple is horrible, whoever proposed and decided these "Olympic colors" , should be arrested, locked in jail and lets throw away the key for ever ! . They are probably colorblind, no normal person would choose this backround

el tenista
07-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Purple is horrible, whoever proposed and decided these "Olympic colors" , should be arrested, locked in jail and lets throw away the key for ever ! . They are probably colorblind, no normal person would choose this backround

This.

tennisfan856
07-28-2012, 06:13 PM
i already see that the baseline is wearing out pretty fast.

Should be Roland Garros by the final.

Looner
07-28-2012, 06:17 PM
It's not the colours that are the problem it's the rows of empty seats on the courts.

Exactly! I was so pissed off looking at all the empty seats at the stadium. Now we know where the majority of sponsor tickets were allocated. What a joke!

Whiznot
07-28-2012, 09:47 PM
This is the first time I've seen the All England Lawn Tennis Club look like puke.

redshift36188
07-28-2012, 09:53 PM
The background color is indeed horrible. Too bad Nadal isn't there to complain about it.

KarlyM
07-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Wimbledon looks like Barbie's Dream House with green shag carpeting. :lol:

Travod
07-28-2012, 10:58 PM
I must be /extremely/ color blind because that looks wayyyyyy more like pink than it does purple.

Looner
07-28-2012, 11:04 PM
It looks like pinkish purple to me (is that even possible :lol:) but you have to watch the gymnastics. THAT is truly awful. The whole floor is covered with Bieber pink :facepalm:.

coluta
07-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Hard to believe, but it gets even worse when the US team is working:

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/14/30/65/3247435/3/628x471.jpg

Looner
07-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Just :stupid:.

Travod
07-28-2012, 11:32 PM
The male gymnasts must be like, "......lol."

Yolita
07-28-2012, 11:36 PM
According to the BBC, an inquiry has been launched about all the empty seats in all the venues. Many people tried to get tickets for months and they ouldn't ... and yet the sites are empty.

Looner
07-28-2012, 11:37 PM
An inquiry which takes ages and produces very little in way of results. Typical BS. I was seriously disappointed. I did not see one event where the seats were completely full, as they should be considering so many people were shut off from seeing the events live. Even the swimming had some empty seats. Wimbledon was a disgrace to be honest. The excuse that the Brits played at the same time was also laughable.

I myself am a huge sports fan but I just could not be bothered to apply so early, considering the uncertainty around it all.

Jimnik
07-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Typical Olympics. Worst managed sporting event in the world.

Ash86
07-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Really surprised by how bad the Olympics seemed today - the colours; the slightly creased looking boards; the lack of crowds (Centre Court with Serena and so many seats empty?!); the extremely slippery grass which then got worn down extra fast too - just seemed odd all around.

I actually found myself far more interested in the gymnastics, cycling, beach volleyball etc. than the tennis. At times it seemed like a 500/250 event - not even a Masters. Matches I watched didn't feel like they were at Wimbledon which sort of lost the whole "this is Olympics at Wimbledon" impact and everything seemed a little tacky when compared to the real thing - even the clothes the ball boys and umpires were wearing. May seem like superficial things but all together it made me think that rather than the Olympics being at Wimbledon enhancing the competition, it seemed to detract from it. Feels like we had the real thing a few weeks back and this is a cheap imitation.

Seems like some players feel the same. Apparently Zvonareva said she can't feel the Olympic spirit at Wimbledon - is isolated from all the other athletes and so there is no electric charge like there was in Beijing. Probably true -- if you're near the Olympic village in London where most of the events are it feels like the whole world is just the Olympics. It's immersive, it's constant and everything is focused on that. Wimbledon, for the most part, remains a corner of South West London with not too much going on - definitely cut off and the average crowd go-er has to work hard to get there.

All in all, just one day's coverage has made me think that perhaps London would have been better off with Hard Courts in East London near the Village and going all out on the music etc. a-la WTFs rather than going the Wimbledon route. That location would have meant lots of other athletes would have come to support and watch, a more diverse (not just tennis fanatic) crowd would gather and it would genuinely feel like a specific Olympic event rather than some twilight zone where an Eastbourne level tournament is suddenly being held at Wimbledon...

Edda
07-29-2012, 12:06 AM
This Olympic tennis tournament could set world records for slips and falls.

coluta
07-29-2012, 12:12 AM
All in all, just one day's coverage has made me think that perhaps London would have been better off with Hard Courts in East London near the Village and going all out on the music etc. a-la WTFs rather than going the Wimbledon route. That location would have meant lots of other athletes would have come to support and watch, a more diverse (not just tennis fanatic) crowd would gather and it would genuinely feel like a specific Olympic event rather than some twilight zone where an Eastbourne level tournament is suddenly being held at Wimbledon...

Now that we know how it turned out. But imagine this actually happening. The complaints about not having it at Wimbledon would have been just too much.

But I do agree with everything that you are saying. London was just hurt by the simple existence of Wimbledon.

Bad Religion
07-29-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm enjoying Olympics Tennis. I never thought the coverage would as good as it has been so far. ESPN Latin America and DirecTV doing a good job at last.

The colors, atmosphere is just great. You can notice how much it means for the players competing.

abraxas21
07-29-2012, 12:25 AM
i already see that the baseline is wearing out pretty fast.

Should be Roland Garros by the final.

this. first day and the baseline already looks bad.

abraxas21
07-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Wimbledon looks like Barbie's Dream House with green shag carpeting. :lol:

the image will be perfet when federer brings his golden manbag

Looner
07-29-2012, 12:35 AM
this. first day and the baseline already looks bad.

It's not their fault, really. Henman mentioned that the grass was softer whilst the soil was become firmer because of the 2 weeks during Wimbledon and the difference creates makes the grass disappear quicker.

As for the Federer comment and his manbag, you only need to look at the team GB's outfits for the opening ceremony :facepalm:.

mn0733
07-29-2012, 03:47 AM
The weird part were the different scoreboards on the outter courts plus the purple color, but I like the music between matches, makes it more lively.

coluta
07-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Apparently having empty seats is a more general problem:

http://news.sky.com/story/966307/olympics-probe-into-rows-of-empty-seats

"I think it was accredited seats that belonged to sponsors, but if they're not going to turn up, we want those tickets to be available for members of the public, because that creates the best atmosphere."

London 2012 chairman Lord Coe has previously threatened to name and shame companies which do not use their tickets.

Forehander
07-29-2012, 09:10 AM
What do you expect? The opening ceremony was absolute rubbish, probably the worst in the last 50 years or so and you expect them to have the best tennis courts? come on now

hipolymer
07-29-2012, 09:14 AM
What do you expect? The opening ceremony was absolute rubbish, probably the worst in the last 50 years or so and you expect them to have the best tennis courts? come on now

uhh, what correlation is between the two? :facepalm:

HKz
07-29-2012, 09:25 AM
The purple does look strange, but hey I always think a change is always good, especially when it is such a temporary thing.

Looner
07-29-2012, 09:57 AM

"I think it was accredited seats that belonged to sponsors, but if they're not going to turn up, we want those tickets to be available for members of the public, because that creates the best atmosphere."

London 2012 chairman Lord Coe has previously threatened to name and shame companies which do not use their tickets.

That is actually quite hilarious because I read an FT article which said companies were afraid to take advantage for the perks they paid for as sponsors. So if they show up, they get stick and if they don't, it's the same. However, I was right in guessing it was sponsor and that's just ridiculous.

cardio
07-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Opening ceremony is always rubbish. I never watch it since 1972 Munich when I was just a kid.OK, I watched part of Moscow 1980 too, because Brezhnev was too funny to miss it :D

And you are right : last really interesting opening ceremony was in 1936, when Hitler greeted inmarching delegations with his Nazi-salute. It created confusion and arguments among athletes of different countries :"What should we do ? We are guests here, he is the host . Should we be polite and salute the same way or ignore him ? "

Half of delegations chose former, half latter.

I wouldnt watch documentary about other opening ceremonies, but I would watch Berlin 1936 OC .The way journalists decribed it , it was lot of fun in general and pure comedy gold from Adolf & Co. :devil:

decrepitude
07-29-2012, 10:26 AM
According to the BBC, an inquiry has been launched about all the empty seats in all the venues. Many people tried to get tickets for months and they ouldn't ... and yet the sites are empty.
My daughter and I both tried for days, several times as new releases were announced, and got zilch. Seeing all those empty seats makes my blood boil!

decrepitude
07-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh - and don't blame the AELTC. They just handed Wimbledon over to the Olympics, and didn't have any say in the organisation, I believe. That was certainly the case in the football at Newcastle where there was a ticket shambles with some people not getting in until the game was half over: the club were quick to announce that they had no say at all, they just handed the grounds over to the Olympic bods.

scoobs
07-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Oh - and don't blame the AELTC. They just handed Wimbledon over to the Olympics, and didn't have any say in the organisation, I believe. That was certainly the case in the football at Newcastle where there was a ticket shambles with some people not getting in until the game was half over: the club were quick to announce that they had no say at all, they just handed the grounds over to the Olympic bods.

Yes, and that was a bad mistake, IMO.

AELTC know how to make this event work and handing it over to other people seems bizarre to me.

nobama
07-29-2012, 11:15 AM
What's with all the empty seats? Handing them out to sponsors and fat cats who never show up? :o

shadows
07-29-2012, 11:20 AM
What's with all the empty seats? Handing them out to sponsors and fat cats who never show up? :o

There have just been a ton of fuck ups in all departments.

Hopefully they sort it out in the next day or so.

===

I'm a little worried about the rate at which the grass is deteriorating already, will be interesting to see just how battered the courts look come next weekend.

scoobs
07-29-2012, 11:33 AM
I am now resigned to this ticketing fiasco and thousands of empty seats at Wimbledon. It won't get sorted. It is disgusting. I could have been there for these weekend days and would have paid a chunk of money to do so. Could not get tickets. Feel bitter. It makes it look like nobody cares and tennis shouldn't be in the games, when the demand for tickets is there, but nobody could bloody get them. LOCOG will have serious questions to answer about how this all went so wrong, but it will be too bloody late then, it will all be over. It makes me really angry.

NID
07-29-2012, 01:01 PM

The opening ceremony was excellent, the first part especially so.

manadrainer
07-29-2012, 07:42 PM
The purple background is horrible.

I watched parts of Fognini-Djokovic: both players feel to the ground countless times due to slippery courts. That's ridiculous, Djokovic is one of the best movers in the game.

Empty seats everywhere like nobody is caring. Disgusting.

And people comparing this crap to a slam. :facepalm:

Alex999
07-29-2012, 08:09 PM
I am now resigned to this ticketing fiasco and thousands of empty seats at Wimbledon. It won't get sorted. It is disgusting. I could have been there for these weekend days and would have paid a chunk of money to do so. Could not get tickets. Feel bitter. It makes it look like nobody cares and tennis shouldn't be in the games, when the demand for tickets is there, but nobody could bloody get them. LOCOG will have serious questions to answer about how this all went so wrong, but it will be too bloody late then, it will all be over. It makes me really angry.
couldn't agree more with your post Scoobs. This is really embarrassing. like what really happened with all tickets sold and empty stadiums? did they go to sponsors? as much as I love tennis, I'm thinking more and more that tennis shouldn't be at the Olimpics at all :(

vauxguy
07-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I quite like the colours actually.
Coe is now saying he isn't going to name and shame.He says it's because the Olympic delegates can't be everywhere at the same time eg he had to be at 5 different venues yesterday and was only at each for 30 mins. Fine so why reserve so many. But let's not forget this happens at all of the Grand Slams and I've been to three of them and watched them all on tv. The attitude seems to be we've got the money who cares.
Many of the sponsors are either saying they returned tickets they didn't need or gave them away to customers in competitions.
I think at Wimbledon today the rain meant a lot of people left early since there wasn't that much play.

Ash86
07-29-2012, 08:48 PM
couldn't agree more with your post Scoobs. This is really embarrassing. like what really happened with all tickets sold and empty stadiums? did they go to sponsors? as much as I love tennis, I'm thinking more and more that tennis shouldn't be at the Olimpics at all :(

The two days of tennis so far seems to be undoing the good of Beijing - the players cared, the atmosphere was great with lots of support from fellow athletes in the crowd (think it made a huge difference that the stadium was 5 min from the village) and there were no surface, rain, schedule etc. issues. Tennis seems to be on no one's radar in London - people are much more interesting in the cycling, swimming, rowing etc. Sure if Murray's in the final then interest will peak but at the moment it's a sideshow.

The quality of matches also hasn't been good - Novak and Tsonga slipping and sliding, Murray having to deal with flashing scoreboard in his match, Fed up and down - just odd. That's not to even mention the empty seats etc. Just doesn't feel anything like as prestigious as a slam. Next time they should do more to make it a part of the action - was at the Olympic Park today and the basketball is right next to the cycling which is near the water polo, handball, swimming etc. All feels part of the action. The tennis is an anomaly. :(

We need a match like the Djokovic/Nadal semi from Beijing to really light up the competition. So far I'm not impressed. Think Toronto will be way better. And to sum up the stupid schedulers - Wozniacki - world no.8 - is on CC tomorrow. Kvitova, former Wimbledon champ, is on court 18. Venus - 5 time champ - and Clijsters on Ct.1. Just ridiculous. Next they'll have Federer on court 2 or something... :rolleyes:

iriraz
07-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Poor crowds and different colors is one thing but the most important thing is to finish the competition on time and having a fair schedule.
And having bad weather certainly doesn`t help this tournament.With so many of the top singles player into the doubles competition it will be a struggle to finish the whole tournament on time.If there is a washout day having the doubles final Saturday and singles final Sunday is a longshot.

Alex999
07-29-2012, 09:11 PM
The two days of tennis so far seems to be undoing the good of Beijing - the players cared, the atmosphere was great with lots of support from fellow athletes in the crowd (think it made a huge difference that the stadium was 5 min from the village) and there were no surface, rain, schedule etc. issues. Tennis seems to be on no one's radar in London - people are much more interesting in the cycling, swimming, rowing etc. Sure if Murray's in the final then interest will peak but at the moment it's a sideshow.

The quality of matches also hasn't been good - Novak and Tsonga slipping and sliding, Murray having to deal with flashing scoreboard in his match, Fed up and down - just odd. That's not to even mention the empty seats etc. Just doesn't feel anything like as prestigious as a slam. Next time they should do more to make it a part of the action - was at the Olympic Park today and the basketball is right next to the cycling which is near the water polo, handball, swimming etc. All feels part of the action. The tennis is an anomaly. :(

We need a match like the Djokovic/Nadal semi from Beijing to really light up the competition. So far I'm not impressed. Think Toronto will be way better. And to sum up the stupid schedulers - Wozniacki - world no.8 - is on CC tomorrow. Kvitova, former Wimbledon champ, is on court 18. Venus - 5 time champ - and Clijsters on Ct.1. Just ridiculous. Next they'll have Federer on court 2 or something... :rolleyes:
Ash, spot on. I really agree with you 100%. I'm shocked that Brits are doing such a sloppy job. I'm scratching my head right now. The scheduling is beyond my comprehension. Altough, I don't watch the WTA matches that often any more, it is really so retarded ... Kvitove on court 18, Venus and Kim on C1 ... I'm speechless ...I respect all players, but we are talking about tennis legends/champions (guys and girls) who earned to play on CC ... would I rather watch Woz or Venus? well Venus of course. Nole or Tsonga (assuming they are playing lower ranked players), Nole for sure. Fed/Nadal vs. whoever, Fed/Nadal of course.

What bugs me the most are empty seats. We are talking about London here, freaking Wimbledon with a twist ... the oldest slam, the biggest tradition, yet Chinese at Beijing did a much, much better job. I just don't get it.

Looner
07-29-2012, 09:14 PM
It's not only tennis that's the problem and please don't talk about the grass, as it was explained that it was due to the fact Wimbledon was played 2 weeks ago. Other events have had attendance problems as well, so LOCOG called the students and the army :lol:.

This after the Brits made fun of Greece doing the same in 2004 and stating that they won't have the same attendance problems shortly after Beijing 2008 :lol:. Hilariously embarrassing.

Andi-M
07-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Really surprised by how bad the Olympics seemed today - the colours; the slightly creased looking boards; the lack of crowds (Centre Court with Serena and so many seats empty?!); the extremely slippery grass which then got worn down extra fast too - just seemed odd all around.

I actually found myself far more interested in the gymnastics, cycling, beach volleyball etc. than the tennis. At times it seemed like a 500/250 event - not even a Masters. Matches I watched didn't feel like they were at Wimbledon which sort of lost the whole "this is Olympics at Wimbledon" impact and everything seemed a little tacky when compared to the real thing - even the clothes the ball boys and umpires were wearing. May seem like superficial things but all together it made me think that rather than the Olympics being at Wimbledon enhancing the competition, it seemed to detract from it. Feels like we had the real thing a few weeks back and this is a cheap imitation.

Seems like some players feel the same. Apparently Zvonareva said she can't feel the Olympic spirit at Wimbledon - is isolated from all the other athletes and so there is no electric charge like there was in Beijing. Probably true -- if you're near the Olympic village in London where most of the events are it feels like the whole world is just the Olympics. It's immersive, it's constant and everything is focused on that. Wimbledon, for the most part, remains a corner of South West London with not too much going on - definitely cut off and the average crowd go-er has to work hard to get there.

I agree, even watching Andy Murray today didnt excite me too much :eek: I dunno if its the atmosphere- the empty seats?? or the horrible colours at Wimbledon but it definately feels odd. i agree hardcourts would be better, maybe things will improve as we get to the business end of things...

decrepitude
07-29-2012, 09:23 PM

Absolutely. My daughter and I both spent hours and hours on the website trying to get tickets, every time they announced some were available. Not a single one did we get. And the website was a pain anyway - you had to choose the day, the court, and the seating area, and if I remember correctly enter all your own details, before they would tell you that none were available, try again. Why on earth couldn't they just tell us which ones *were* available and let us make up our minds if we could afford them!

tennisfan856
07-29-2012, 09:35 PM
The disappointing thing to me is that wimbledon and its final generated a lot of momentum and attraction to the season, and it feels like its taken a tailspin with this tournament. I'm hoping the uso masters series will restore some sense of normalcy but i'm not confident. The pros just seem out of whack these past two days, both men and women.

nobama
07-29-2012, 09:37 PM
It's not only tennis that's the problem and please don't talk about the grass, as it was explained that it was due to the fact Wimbledon was played 2 weeks ago. Other events have had attendance problems as well, so LOCOG called the students and the army :lol:.

This after the Brits made fun of Greece doing the same in 2004 and stating that they won't have the same attendance problems shortly after Beijing 2008 :lol:. Hilariously embarrassing.

It's just weird and it doesn't feel like a Wimbledon atmosphere. But what's really embarrassing is full stands for beach volleyball just to see women in bikinis. :o

Looner
07-29-2012, 09:40 PM
It's just weird and it doesn't feel like a Wimbledon atmosphere. But what's really embarrassing is full stands for beach volleyball just to see women in bikinis. :o

The reason for that is that the suits do not care about this event and I know plenty of normal folk who'll go and watch. I don't anyone who applied for tickets well over a year ago and spent close to £100 for one session would miss. The stupid suits on the other hand :rolleyes:.

It's just that tennis has more attention from sponsors, so they took more tickets for that event. That's my view at least.

Alex999
07-29-2012, 09:42 PM
THIS, btw love your avi nobama, so cute :).

Ash86
07-29-2012, 09:54 PM

It's to do with what's popular with the corporate seats. I went to the beach volleyball and it's actually really well done - the location is right in Central London, fantastic views, great music and announcers, party atmosphere, fast matches, packs a punch - so it's a fun day/evening's entertainment. The tennis on the other hand won't be as popular with those who have the free tickets as they already go to Wimbledon every year most likely - what's the attraction of choosing the tennis - which means a whole day dedicated to it (unlike the other sports where you can pack a few events into the day) - rather than a sport that you won't have the chance to see again?

There are people who would buy the tickets and want to go but obviously those seats weren't available to the general public. The tennis has been "sold out" for months - so it's not the people who bought tickets who are to blame. Frankly, I'm now thinking it would be good if some random player won this event - just seems so badly done. Big mistake not letting the AELTC have some control.

And clearly the groundskeepers tried their best, but 3 weeks wasn't enough time - the grass has worn down already and we'll have a strange version of a grass court at Wimbledon. Seeing courts not in good condition at the home of tennis is sad and shouldn't happen... All that said, Murray looked the sharpest of the contenders and if he wins the gold I think the UK won't really care about any of the other problems with the tennis. Though the way this week is going, any argument that Murray etc. are making that this would compare to a slam is beyond ridiculous. Someone ranked outside the world's top 300 is playing after all!

Andi-M
07-29-2012, 10:07 PM
. All that said, Murray looked the sharpest of the contenders and if he wins the gold I think the UK won't really care about any of the other problems with the tennis. Though the way this week is going, any argument that Murray etc. are making that this would compare to a slam is beyond ridiculous. Someone ranked outside the world's top 300 is playing after all!

Andy Murray is a total of a sports geek, and so to him Olympics are really important, he'd absolutely love to win OG, especially at home. I think tbh he would have loved to have won OG w/ jamie in the doubles more than anything.

As a huge Andy Murray fan however I really don't feel the same way, i'd rather he was with lendl in North America getting some hardcourt practice in. However I support him, and will be delighted if he wins, and it would be great for team Gb ( I think they need him to win a gold the way things are going!)

But yeh you're right in noway is it comparable to winning a slam.

redshift36188
07-29-2012, 10:48 PM
And to sum up the stupid schedulers - Wozniacki - world no.8 - is on CC tomorrow. Kvitova, former Wimbledon champ, is on court 18. Venus - 5 time champ - and Clijsters on Ct.1. Just ridiculous. Next they'll have Federer on court 2 or something...
But, but... she is McIlroy's girlfriend. :stupid:

Ash, spot on. I really agree with you 100%. I'm shocked that Brits are doing such a sloppy job. I'm scratching my head right now. The scheduling is beyond my comprehension. Altough, I don't watch the WTA matches that often any more, it is really so retarded ... Kvitove on court 18, Venus and Kim on C1 ... I'm speechless ...I respect all players, but we are talking about tennis legends/champions (guys and girls) who earned to play on CC ... would I rather watch Woz or Venus? well Venus of course. Nole or Tsonga (assuming they are playing lower ranked players), Nole for sure. Fed/Nadal vs. whoever, Fed/Nadal of course.
Nole for you, but maybe the majority prefers to watch Tsonga. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they will rotate the top seeds between CC and C1, but Kvitova on C14 (not C18) is just beyond my comprehension.

seattletennisguy
07-29-2012, 11:25 PM
From the TV screen, it looked like an entire row of empty seats had reserved signs on them. Maybe they should put a time limit on reserved seats, and then offer them to the public if they're not taken within the first 15 minutes of the match.

Sharapova said in her post interview that tickets were hard to come by, yet she found one for American talk show host Chelsea Handler at the last minute. Guess you have to be a star.

I love Andy Murray, but his entourage is too big. Doesn't Kim have a day job, or is being a tennis player's gf a full-time gig? (now I'm just ranting, my apologies)

Backhand_Maestro
07-29-2012, 11:32 PM
From the TV screen, it looked like an entire row of empty seats had reserved signs on them. Maybe they should put a time limit on reserved seats, and then offer them to the public if they're not taken within the first 15 minutes of the match.

Sharapova said in her post interview that tickets were hard to come by, yet she found one for American talk show host Chelsea Handler at the last minute. Guess you have to be a star.

I love Andy Murray, but his entourage is too big. Doesn't Kim have a day job, or is being a tennis player's gf a full-time gig? (now I'm just ranting, my apologies)

meant to be half hour

cardio
07-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Daily Mail article about empty seats, lot of photos, lot of excuses from officials :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180579/Olympics-2012-Row-row-seats--tickets-sent-foreign-VIPs-black-market.html

EightBall
07-30-2012, 08:45 AM
I love how people are going "AAAAHHHH MY EYES" over the green/purple color scheme when those are the official Wimbledon colors as well.. Yes, it's weird seeing it put up all over the place where it shouldn't be, but the color combination in itself? Come on.

decrepitude
07-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Not THAT nasty bright pinkish purple! Wimby's purple is a sedate dark one with blue predominant.

And whoever thought the ballkids would look good in purple and RED?

EightBall
07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Sure, it's different, and worse, but not enough to go from "Mmmm, feels like home" to "ARRRRH IT BURRRNS". Not for me at least.

Dmitry Verdasco
07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
The purple is too pink. I know they have a theme to go with, but at Wimbledon they should have just used Wimbledon purple. And yeah some of the canvas is loose and looks like it does at them cheap ITF events.

I think the players still should have worn all white with their flags, country names, surnames on them.

Too colourful for me, fruity even.

That's bullshit. If they buy tickets or are given them by the Olympics, then frankly they can do whatever the fuck they want with them.

dencod16
07-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I think the color choice is fine, because its not biased to any countries, i don't think there is a flag with purple on it in the competing nations.

dencod16
07-30-2012, 11:11 AM
The purple is too pink. I know they have a theme to go with, but at Wimbledon they should have just used Wimbledon purple. And yeah some of the canvas is loose and looks like it does at them cheap ITF events.

I think the players still should have worn all white with their flags, country names, surnames on them.

Too colourful for me, fruity even.

That's bullshit. If they buy tickets or are given them by the Olympics, then frankly they can do whatever the fuck they want with them.

If you can see the empty seats are always on one part of the court. Also the Royal box is empty too.

Dmitry Verdasco
07-30-2012, 11:21 AM
If you can see the empty seats are always on one part of the court. Also the Royal box is empty too.

You're correct.

masterclass
07-31-2012, 11:00 PM
#1 seed Victoria Azarenka played today on Court 2, capacity 4000 seats. I doubt if there were much more than 100 seats filled. By the end, there may have been 30-50 people left - probably the player's entourages/families.

I realize that the Federer/Wawrinka doubles match vs the team from Israel scheduled to follow Azarenka on 2 had been already postponed, but still, so low a turnout for the #1 women's player? This wasn't only about corporate seats being left unfilled.

What's going on? Very sad. :sad:

Respectfully,
masterclass

coluta
08-02-2012, 09:07 PM
‏@TipsarevicJanko

The level of organization and total care of players(starting from the quality of tennis courts)on these OI is really disappointing…

(offtopic:
@TipsarevicJanko

Every night at the same time USA anthem ob tv…:)You guys won almost everything there is in swimming )

misty1
08-02-2012, 09:11 PM
#1 seed Victoria Azarenka played today on Court 2, capacity 4000 seats. I doubt if there were much more than 100 seats filled. By the end, there may have been 30-50 people left - probably the player's entourages/families.

I realize that the Federer/Wawrinka doubles match vs the team from Israel scheduled to follow Azarenka on 2 had been already postponed, but still, so low a turnout for the #1 women's player? This wasn't only about corporate seats being left unfilled.

What's going on? Very sad. :sad:

Respectfully,
masterclass

no one likes azarenka, the players dont even like her.

and its not because of the grunting..well not just because of that

NID
08-02-2012, 10:17 PM
nole gave an interview today to serbian press, basically stating that the court is in dire condition - barren and riddled with holes. never said anything like that during wimbledons, win or lose. also said that the state of courts makes for a particular mindset and play adjustment during crucial points, that there are a lot of bad bounces.
blue grass, it seems.

eskinol
08-03-2012, 06:03 AM
I don't like the color scheme for the courts, but to be honest I DO like that the players are able to dress in color instead of dressing in all white. I feel like that's one of the most mindless tradition-for-the-sheer-bloody-minded-sake-of-tradition idea wimbledon's got. As if these players are brides indicating their virginity at a wedding. Or like white is somehow a more moral or decent color than any other. And in the bad case, say when two players have similar build or games, it just makes it needlessly hard to tell them apart instantly.

In fact, I'm pretty sure if you polled separately, the changed color scheme for the courts would rate much lower than the change in the all-white clothing. But because they happened at the same time, people will instinctively group them in their heads.

cardio
08-03-2012, 08:46 AM
I think the color choice is fine, because its not biased to any countries, i don't think there is a flag with purple on it in the competing nations.

And there is good reason why nations didnt choose this color to be on flag. Country flag is supposed to make you feel better, proud or something like that .How can someone feel proud of his country waving pink - purple flag:devil:

duong
08-03-2012, 09:03 AM
I don't like the color scheme for the courts, but to be honest I DO like that the players are able to dress in color instead of dressing in all white. I feel like that's one of the most mindless tradition-for-the-sheer-bloody-minded-sake-of-tradition idea wimbledon's got.

for me it's the opposite : it's during these Olympics that I realized it was a tradition I was attached to, I didn't like watching Tsonga in his blue shirt on central court, and by the way I was grateful to players who made an effort to wear mainly white shirts like Benneteau or Gasquet.

Besides, purple is my most hated colour but well, it's not the main problem during these Olympics. The seats situation is much more distressing, esp. considering that I've felt like going to watch Wimbledon courts for long and I had tried to go to the Olympics as well.

August
08-03-2012, 09:09 AM
for me it's the opposite : it's during these Olympics that I realized it was a tradition I was attached to, I didn't like watching Tsonga in his blue shirt on central court, and by the way I was grateful to players who made an effort to wear mainly white shirts like Benneteau or Gasquet.

Me too.

niff
08-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Same, the white shirts with the small country details looked really good.