Jump Serve [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jump Serve

Gabe32
07-27-2012, 03:29 PM
I play volleyball. If a player is capable of doing a jump serve, 9 times out of 10 it is far superior and advantagous than a normal, standing serve.

Reasons why it is advantageous:

1) Your point of contact is much higher than it would normally be if you're standing. So this makes players who around Federer's height hit the ball where a player like Isner usually hits it. Imagine how lethal that would be?

2) Usually volleyball players tosses the ball well inside the court so that the contact point is maybe 3-4 feet inside the baseline. This obviously is a huge advantage in volleyball and would be in tennis too. A player typically then lands inside the court and prepares to return.

3) You are able to generate much more topsin and power from a jump serve. Jump serves are typically much faster and more difficult to return.

Thoughts on the practicality/benefits of this?

TigerTim
07-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Now maybe if Nadal served from a Pogo Stick.......................

Gabe32
07-27-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vEBX9Tw9PY

It's a shame these guys are playing with 2 handed racquets. I think that is a gimmick, but I think their jump serve is an interesting idea.

howyesno
07-27-2012, 03:35 PM
doesn't make any sense for non-serve and volley players. forward momentum would put you 3-4 yards in the court, right there in no man's land where you would be vulnerable to any decent return. and that's with assumption you can resolve much more complex synchronization of all moves needed to perform such a serve compared to a "grounded" one.

Gabe32
07-27-2012, 03:39 PM
doesn't make any sense for non-serve and volley players. forward momentum would put you 3-4 yards in the court, right there in no man's land where you would be vulnerable to any decent return. and that's with assumption you can resolve much more complex synchronization of all moves needed to perform such a serve compared to a "grounded" one.

Yes, I chose to leave that part out of my description. But they could compensate for that by starting their motion a couple of feet back, so that they would land on/near the baseline and ready to return.

But it does seem like it suits serve & volleyers very well.

Fumus
07-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Jump serves are illegal in USTA tennis...that is to say you can run and jump into a serve although Mikhail Youzhny motion is darn close...

According to the US Tennis Association Rules of Tennis, "Immediately before starting the service motion, the server shall stand at rest with both feet behind (i.e. further from the net than) the baseline and within the imaginary extensions of the centre mark and the sideline." Under the categoy of "Foot Fault" the rule is as follows:

During the service motion, the server shall not:

Change position by walking or running, although slight movements of the feet are permitted; or
Touch the baseline or the court with either foot; or
Touch the area outside the imaginary extension of the sideline with either foot; or
Touch the imaginary extension of the centre mark with either foot.

If the server breaks this rule it is a "Foot Fault".

The server is allowed to have one or both feet off of the ground during a serve. However, in doing so, they place themselves at risk of being called for a foot fault. The official comment on this rule is:

USTA Comment 18.2: What does the rule mean when it says that the server may "not change position by walking or running"? One key to understanding this rule is to realize that the server's feet must be at rest immediately before beginning to serve. The delivery of the service then begins with any arm or racket motion and ends when the racket contacts the ball (or misses the ball in attempt to strike it). To define walking or running with precision is difficult. This rule is intended to prevent the server from taking advantage of the receiver by serving while "on the move" and requiring the receiver to guess the position from which the serve will be launched, and the rule should be enforced with that intent in mind.

A server who takes more than one step with either foot after the "feet at rest" position described above is at risk for being called for a foot fault. The serve becomes a foot fault when, in the judgment of an experienced official, the server has materially changed position before or during any racket or arm motion.
A server whose footwork changes significantly from one serve to the next is at risk for being called for a foot fault.
Serves that look like the running volleyball serve violate the rule. Serves in which the server runs or walks from a point well behind the baseline to the baseline are also illegal, as are serves in which the server walks or runs along the baseline before choosing a spot from which to deliver the serve.

So, technically, while leaving the ground with both feet is legal, a jump serve would be considered illegal.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_an_illegal_tennis_serve_to_jump_when_you_hit _the_ball

Slice Winner
07-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Battistone doesn't run before he jumps, so it's not illegal.
I recall seeing Fed do a jump serve in an exhibition......will go have a look for it.

Edit: here it is. During the warm up of the 2011 clash of the champions I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_r1L96AFc0#t=6m16s

Gabe32
07-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Jump serves are illegal in USTA tennis...that is to say you can run and jump into a serve although Mikhail Youzhny motion is darn close...

Very interesting. I wonder what the point of excluding a jump serves is.

Is there a rule like this in ATP/ITF rules too? Which rulebook do they use, by the way? :confused:I genuinely don't know.

Freak3yman84
07-27-2012, 09:27 PM
It's illegal? Then why do they allow Battistone's serve :confused:

latso
07-28-2012, 09:04 AM
A jump serve won't be stronger/faster than a well hit normal serve.

In the air you lose the side rotation and momentum created by the last friction to the ground, which makes a whip effect and this you can't make with a jump serve.

You also lose 80% of your precision and you lose your position when landing, so it's 99% useless at the end of the day.

In volley it's used in order to create sort of a decending path of the ball and be able to hit an almost flat serve, which you can't make from the ground as the net is too high.

In tennis it's not necessary as the net is much lower than the height of the contact with the ball, hence you can make a straight flat decending shot.