Too much buzz around Olympics, or not ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Too much buzz around Olympics, or not ?

severus
07-27-2012, 07:53 AM
For a minor tournament, as the most posters here claim, it sure as hell receiving a lot of attention, no ?
You won't ever see so much talk about Masters, although most people say it's bigger than olympics, no?

Slade
07-27-2012, 07:57 AM
It is exciting yo

severus
07-27-2012, 07:59 AM
It is exciting yo.

But it's less important than Masters tournaments, no ? And on the same level as Halle and Houston, no ?

Slade
07-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Less points than Masters but you get a medal yo

TBkeeper
07-27-2012, 08:03 AM
.... another nadulltard with a simple question... it's less prestigious than a masters but it is once in a 4 years so it's normal that it's receiving a lot of buzz ...

duong
07-27-2012, 08:39 AM
the Olympics now is a big fair with "stars" rather than sportsmen.

1000 journalists yesterday to Fed's presser with silly questions, because they're not tennis journalists,

you see what it's about :shrug:

it's not really about tennis, it's rather about popularizing tennis in the world, we'll get back to our tennis world in one week.

As far as purely tennis fans are concerned, concerned with tennis traditions, the WTF is more important, and I don't talk of the US Open :lol:

Then to the question : yes the buzz about the Olympics is crazy but that's not about tennis :shrug:

Chris Kuerten
07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
.... another nadulltard with a simple question... it's less prestigious than a masters but it is once in a 4 years so it's normal that it's receiving a lot of buzz ...Less prestigious than a 1000 tournament :facepalm:

Grand Slams > Olympics > WTF > 1000's > Davis Cup > 500's > 250's

duong
07-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Less prestigious than a 1000 tournament :facepalm:

there was a poll about that : many people disagree, and I will not change my mind at all if Fed wins it. The Olympics are not primarily a tennis event imo. "Prestige" well ... Prince William is more "prestigious" than Federer :lol:

cardio
07-27-2012, 08:55 AM
It is because Olympic tennis is in Wimbledon. Last time it happened was century ago, who knows when next time will be.

And tennis stars are huge celebrities, almost like Dream Team was in Barcelona.

That said, I watched at schedule on Saturday and it was expected disappointment : 2 womens matches on Centre and 2 mens matches. So they play 4 matches on one court, but still only 2 short mens matches, best of 3... Same on Court 1. Damn political correctness, I cant stand it !

Chris Kuerten
07-27-2012, 08:56 AM
there was a poll about that : many people disagree, and I will not change my mind at all if Fed wins it. The Olympics are not primarily a tennis event imo. "Prestige" well ... Prince William is more "prestigious" than Federer :lol:I'm including the world outside of tennis in my reasoning.

Noone will care about a 1000 title, while an Olympic medal will raise respect and awe in every corner of the world.

coluta
07-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Sure, they receives little points and it doesn't have tradition. But tradition is built little by little every 4 years.
The tennis players seem to enjoy it a lot and I think this is all that matters.

Having it at Wimbledon this year adds to the excitement factor and I am sure this will carry on for the next OG.

duong
07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm including the world outside of tennis in my reasoning.

Noone will care about a 1000 title, while an Olympic medal will raise respect and awe in every corner of the world.

Well that's what "prestige" is about, but once again Prince William is more prestigious than Federer.

The interests in this forum are about tennis primarily.

Hypnotize
07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
But it's less important than Masters tournaments, no ? And on the same level as Halle and Houston, no ?
I'm not sure how anyone could think that. The amount of points on offer and the depth of the field should give you a clue the Olympics are far more important than Halle. :rolleyes:

The fact it is being played at Wimbledon has only raised the stakes even higher. Outside of the GS, this is without question, the most important event of the year and for some players, it may even be on a par with them.

Looner
07-27-2012, 09:42 AM

:haha:

Chirag
07-27-2012, 09:45 AM

absolutely agreed with you :yeah:

Chris Kuerten
07-27-2012, 09:56 AM
absolutely agreed with you :yeah:I'm sure your opinions have nothing to do with the fact Nadal has Olympic gold in singles and no WTF titles, while Federer has zero to six :wavey:

bjurra
07-27-2012, 09:57 AM
There is no player on the planet who would rather win a Masters than Olympic Gold.

I don't think many players would pick WTF over Olympic Gold either.

Sophocles
07-27-2012, 10:00 AM
There is a huge buzz about the Olympics, particularly in Britain, but I can assure you, it ain't about the tennis.

tripwires
07-27-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm sure your opinions have nothing to do with the fact Nadal has Olympic gold in singles and no WTF titles, while Federer has zero to six :wavey:

Normal free-to-air tv coverage of tennis at the Olympics should tell you how much our sport matters as an Olympic event.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

severus
07-27-2012, 10:17 AM
There is a huge buzz about the Olympics, particularly in Britain, but I can assure you, it ain't about the tennis.

Tennis is a part of Olympics though

Chirag
07-27-2012, 11:25 AM
There is no player on the planet who would rather win a Masters than Olympic Gold.

that might be because of the money recieved by the government after winning the gold .Money rules this world :shrug:

Chirag
07-27-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm sure your opinions have nothing to do with the fact Nadal has Olympic gold in singles and no WTF titles, while Federer has zero to six :wavey:

even if Fed wins gold (and I really hope he does ) my opinion wont change :o

TigerTim
07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Olympics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mughai Masters or the others imo

Chirag
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Olympics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mughai Masters or the others imo

Shanghai even if its in asia does not deserve its master 1000 status :sad:

buzz
07-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I will be there :)!

Hope you guys don't mind...

Slade
07-27-2012, 12:04 PM
I will be there :)!

Hope you guys don't mind...

:lol:

Action Jackson
07-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Too most people the Olympics only matters when top players win the gold medal, otherwise just a distraction.

Lleyton_
07-27-2012, 01:02 PM
No shit Sherlock. Olympics is not a tennis tournament.

GSMnadal
07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
It's a beheaded tournment without it's elite athlete, and defending champion. It's a hit for the olympics, just when it was becoming so important after the classic in Beijing.

ServeVolley
07-27-2012, 01:30 PM

So I guess Massú > Murray? ...

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/175/315/PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg?1316330080

GSMnadal
07-27-2012, 01:36 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/175/315/PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg?1316330080

yeah, in the same way that Del Potro > Murray because slams>masters :rolleyes:

n8
07-27-2012, 01:47 PM

I know I would prefer to win an Olympic singles gold than the World Tour Finals. I'm pretty sure Massu wouldn't trade his gold for a WTF title, and probably Nadal and Kafelnikov wouldn't either. And I think Kuerten, Nalbandian and Davydenko might be open to the reverse trade. Obviously I don't really know though.

severus
07-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Gaudio>Murray,no ?

Freak3yman84
07-27-2012, 01:58 PM
What should we be buzzing about? Kitzbühel? I don't think so... The Olympics are the only "big" thing going on right now, so it deserves all the buzz :cool:

Sophocles
07-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Tennis is a part of Olympics though

Yes, but it's a side-show. The events that matter are track & field, boxing, & anything your country happens to be good at (in Britain's case, cycling, rowing, sailing).

Snowwy
07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Yes, but it's a side-show. The events that matter are track & field, boxing, & anything your country happens to be good at (in Britain's case, cycling, rowing, sailing).

According to you, and maybe your country, but not many people in other countries, say Canada care at all about boxing, beyond the regular boxing fans, and they barely exist anymore.

Hypnotize
07-27-2012, 02:09 PM
It's a beheaded tournment without it's elite athlete, and defending champion. It's a hit for the olympics, just when it was becoming so important after the classic in Beijing.
Since when is a player only ranked #3 in the world, the "elite" athlete of a sport? :haha:

Lazyking
07-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Its gotten the Olympic hype, the kind of hype that is only fostered by National pride.. if it wasn't for that, it really would just be another tournament.

TigerTim
07-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Gaudio>Murray,no ?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef01348854c957970c-600wi

Sophocles
07-27-2012, 02:45 PM
According to you, and maybe your country, but not many people in other countries, say Canada care at all about boxing, beyond the regular boxing fans, and they barely exist anymore.

Perhaps, but boxing was one of the ancient Olympic sports & gold medals have generally been won by all-time greats, which is not the case with tennis. But if it helps, please feel free to omit the word "boxing" when reading my post.

Fed Muzza Killer
07-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Nadal's effect , Trust ME !;)

Hypnotize
07-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Perhaps, but boxing was one of the ancient Olympic sports & gold medals have generally been won by all-time greats, which is not the case with tennis. But if it helps, please feel free to omit the word "boxing" when reading my post.
So why did you omit archery and wrestling from your list? I think you need to give this "theory" of yours a little more thought. :haha:

TigerTim
07-27-2012, 03:29 PM
too much buzz? I suggest you swat that wasp asap OP

Sophocles
07-27-2012, 03:30 PM
So why did you omit archery and wrestling from your list? I think you need to give this "theory" of yours a little more thought. :haha:

Because archery & wrestling have never quite taken off as a spectator sport in the way boxing has. They should certainly still be there though. I'd be all for bringing back chariot racing too.

EddieNero
07-27-2012, 03:37 PM
I'd take WTF over 2 olympic gold medals any day. In order to win WTF one have to overcome 7 other best players in the world that particular year.
Olympics equal the level of prestige of Masters 1000.

barbadosan
07-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Guess we'd better hope then that tennis doesn't disappear from the Olympics again for another long period, eh? And I guess you're right - heck Massu would even pick it over the Slams - since he hever won one

Hypnotize
07-27-2012, 03:48 PM
8 tennis players have been chosen as their country's flag bearer which should indicate how highly tennis is regarded around the world. I wonder how many other sports have contributed that many flag bearers.

BroTree123
07-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Don't be bitter man, there's always 2016.... hopefully :sad:

Hypnotize
07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before:

http://letsecondserve.blogspot.co.uk/

"First off, the importance of tennis in the Olympic Games has grown drastically over the years now and I'm very happy it gets so much attention and all the players do actually show up and play because it is about the spirit and this is what we enjoy." - Roger Federer

"Growing up as tennis players we always dreamed of winning Grand Slams and doing well at tournaments like Wimbledon, but to have an opportunity to win a gold medal and be mentioned among the great athletes, it’s an honour. Of all the tournaments I’ve won, I’ve probably enjoyed my gold medal the most." - Serena Williams

''You can't put into words what winning a gold medal would mean. For me winning a gold medal is bigger than winning a grand slam. I can only dream of it. [...] It (the Olympics) is like a fifth grand slam and something I always wanted to do better at than grand slams.'' - Bernard Tomic

“I still believe that the grand slams are more important, because of all the history. The Olympics would probably be the fifth event. I think it depends where you come from. If you’re from somewhere like the US, China, Germany or France, you become a superhero. in Switerland, you’re a hero for a day and that’s it. You have a gold medal but it’s not like it has any consequences. Maybe I think differently because I’m from Switzerland.” - Martina Hingis

"Once you hear it, I think it's pretty even" - Sam Stosur

"The Olympic Games are the pinnacle of all sports, in my opinion." - Novak Djokovic

"To me this was bigger than a grand slam, it was more special. Standing on the podium and listening to your national anthem and getting the medal around your neck, seeing the other athletes there that supported. It’s a different feeling, it’s very unique and definitely more special." - Steffi Graf

“It is bigger than winning a Grand Slam because everybody knows what an Olympic gold is, whereas not everybody knows what a Grand Slam is." - Andy Murray

“You can say you’re a tennis player and that will resonate with some people, or you can say you’re an Olympian and that will resonate with every person." - Andy Roddick

Andi-M
07-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Olympic tennis is dependant on the setting, and the top payers, London Olympics played at Wimledon with 90% of top 10 players competing is a big deal. Tennis is not usaully big hitter in terms of coverage ratings in the olympics but you can bet if we get Murray-djoko semi-final and federer-murray final - it will be big news. If Murray, Fed, fall before Sfs tennis will barely be mentioned in UK. Novak alone will not hold interest with so many other sports going on.

TigerTim
07-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Great quote from Roddick there

Mercury
07-27-2012, 07:31 PM
The Olympics are the Olympics. Be it Tennis, Basketball, Football or whatever, it's a huge event and it gets a lot of attention. I'm just happy tennis has become such a big event in the Olympics, we seem to forget that not long ago there was no tennis in the Olympics...

duong
07-27-2012, 07:57 PM
The Olympics are the Olympics. Be it Tennis, Basketball, Football or whatever, it's a huge event and it gets a lot of attention. I'm just happy tennis has become such a big event in the Olympics, we seem to forget that not long ago there was no tennis in the Olympics...

as Andi_M said, tennis is only a big event in these Olympics because Fed is a star, and Nadal in 2008, and in a lesser extent because Murray is British.

Modern Olympics have this "show/star" dimension very highlighted now.

In a way it "popularizes" this tennis tournament. But what will stay of it when there's no more such huge star in tennis ? I don't think that tennis as a sport itself will stay a major event of the Olympics when it happens.

As for tennis players' world, well there's a part of truth, there's a very big part of enthusiasm because of the context, and there's also a part of "oh I love this tournament, it's the one I prefer in the world" we hear in most of tournaments :lol:

And players are all concerned about the "sparkling" of the Olympics anyway :
1. context and opening ceremony
2. the medal and only the medal, the rest doesn't count as Tipsarevic said recently.

What is really sport in that ?

Hypnotize
07-27-2012, 08:08 PM
as Andi_M said, tennis is only a big event in these Olympics because Fed is a star, and Nadal in 2008, and in a lesser extent because Murray is British.

In a way it "popularizes" this tennis tournament. But what will stay of it when there's no more such huge star in tennis ? I don't think that tennis as a sport itself will stay a major event of the Olympics when it happens.

As for tennis players' world, well there's a part of truth, there's a very big part of enthusiasm because of the context, and there's also a part of "oh I love this tournament, it's the one I prefer in the world" we hear in most of tournaments :lol:

2. the medal and only the medal, the rest doesn't count as Tipsarevic said recently.

That may be your opinion but who is to say there won't be big stars in the future to replace Federer and Nadall? Tennis is a huge, global sport and it will remain so for the foreseeable future. It's never going to be a badminton or ping-pong. ;)

duong
07-27-2012, 08:19 PM
That may be your opinion but who is to say there won't be big stars in the future to replace Federer and Nadall? Tennis is a huge, global sport and it will remain so for the foreseeable future. It's never going to be a badminton or ping-pong. ;)

you're partly right that tennis in itself generates more stars than other sports, but still I've known periods with lesser stars in tennis. And from what I see about youngsters I'm not optimistic about later years in the coming decade.

And more importantly I have a problem with that "modern Olympics" way of celebrating more stars than sports ... or at least too much stars comparing to sports : remember when Bolt was disqualified because of a false start : journos were talking 10 times more of Bolt than of the winner Blake and all guessing that "Bolt wouldn't have lost", which I already guessed was far from obvious because Blake's time was great considering the conditions, and what has happened since then all confirmed my impressions.

I have a problem with these modern Olympics (some will say, rightfully, I have a problem with modernity ;) )

Mercury
07-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Murray and Nole seem to me like huge stars these days. Murray carrying the hopes of an entire nation and Nole being the god of his own country...

Fed and Nadal are not the only ones holding the sports together.

Lazyking
07-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Thing is, Tennis doesn't NEED the olympics.. Its by its nature an international sport, akin to soccer/futbol The World Cup is bigger then the olympics.. Grand slams in Tennis are bigger..

Yes, its nice to represent their country but they do that every tournment, hell they do it davis cup much more uniformly.

I'm sure its cool and fun but what it comes down to is a tournment with Medals.

Hewitt was asked whether he would take a slam or a gold medal, he said Slam.

redshift36188
07-27-2012, 11:02 PM
So at worst, players put Olympics only behind Slams.

Kuerten's ordering is correct. The fact that Olympics happens only every 4 years, make it much more difficult to attain than any other tournament, even Slams, but I do rank Slams higher because they run best of 5 in all rounds and because it is a 128 player draw. A Slam in itself is harder to conquer, but made easier because players have 4 shots at it every year. Olympics are at the level of a Masters 1000 in terms of the toughness of the draw. WTF is tougher in theory but some players are tired at the end of the year and you are allowed to lose one match (or even two) in the group stage.

I also think a lesser player winning the gold medal will happen very rarely from now on.

Mountaindewslave
07-28-2012, 12:00 AM
.... another nadulltard with a simple question... it's less prestigious than a masters but it is once in a 4 years so it's normal that it's receiving a lot of buzz ...

lol the Olypmics less prestigious than a masters when there are like 9 masters events every year and 1 Olympics for every 36 of them.

you are strongly mistaken, the Olympics is the most prestigious event behind the slams and the world tour finals. medals from this event will be remembered throughout time but no one remembers who wins individuals masters events. get a reality check

Looner
07-28-2012, 12:36 AM
The amount of BS in this thread is staggering. Yet, I expect nothing less of desperate tards who try to denounce WTF's importance in the sport of tennis. The Olympics is just a Masters tournament with a normal draw. Nothing more, nothing less. Deal with it.

Mechlan
07-28-2012, 12:45 AM
The Olympics as an event has a prestige and stature that goes beyond tennis. The tennis event itself doesn't have a lot of history behind it, so it's not very prestigious from a historical perspective. However winning an Olympic medal is winning an Olympic medal. It's an accomplishment in a way that goes beyond tennis.

Lazyking
07-28-2012, 12:51 AM
^If it goes beyond tennis, then why do some players prefer winning a slam over a gold medal?

Matt01
07-28-2012, 02:13 AM
The amount of BS in this thread is staggering. Yet, I expect nothing less of desperate tards who try to denounce WTF's importance in the sport of tennis. The Olympics is just a Masters tournament with a normal draw. Nothing more, nothing less. Deal with it.

Since we all know which fanbase you are coming from, you have to say that of course as a hypocritical and bitter poster. :rolleyes:

The Olympics are obiously more important than a simple Masters tournament and are on about the same level as the WTF.

jerrard
07-28-2012, 02:44 AM
for sports that are already big by themselves like soccer/tennis, olympics isn't that big of a deal really. olympics is more for players of minor sports to shine.

Honestly
07-28-2012, 03:15 AM
For a minor tournament, as the most posters here claim, it sure as hell receiving a lot of attention, no ?
You won't ever see so much talk about Masters, although most people say it's bigger than olympics, no?

Clown post. No one said MS is bigger, although it probably is. Massu don't win MS events :rolleyes:

Pirata.
07-28-2012, 03:29 AM
“It is bigger than winning a Grand Slam because everybody knows what an Olympic gold is, whereas not everybody knows what a Grand Slam is." - Andy Murray

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :lol:

medals from this event will be remembered throughout time but no one remembers who wins individuals masters events. get a reality check

Hilarious post.

Do you think most people remember who won the gold medal in tennis in 2000?

leng jai
07-28-2012, 03:38 AM
Yeah I'd say a lot more people remember who won gold in 2000 compared to who won the AO in that year.

Fact is there are probably some players who rate winning gold as important to them as winning a slam and that's a perfectly valid train of thought.

Mark Lenders
07-28-2012, 03:40 AM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry :lol:

Hilarious post.

Do you think most people remember who won the gold medal in tennis in 2000?

Only Kafelniknov-tards clearly :lol:

But seriously, it is important. Without the gold, Massu would just be another journeyman on tour, not much different from any other R1-R3 Slam player of today, yet he's still talked about, he has left his mark in tennis and world sports.

coluta
07-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Massu don't win MS events :rolleyes:

Speaking of Massu, what blows my mind is that he won BOTH singles and doubles gold medals. How is this possible for such an average player?

Choreos
07-28-2012, 04:52 AM
A large amount of attention around the olympics IN TENNIS, is that it's held every four years. If it were held year round, there would be much less fanfare with the hectic ATP tour schedule. As it is, the Olympics have a nice little niche that commands worldwide attention once in a while. It's a nice thing to have on a player's resume for sure, but tennis has bigger prizes as well.

LuCC
07-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Oh c'mon, Olympics are held every 4 years which makes it much more difficult to win, coz you have like 2 or 3 chances during your career. Masters and WTF are every year, it is like routine and you have much bigger chance to grab one.

BroTree123
07-28-2012, 07:53 AM

No one is denouncing anything.

I suggest you re-read Roddick's quote.

duong
07-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Oh c'mon, Olympics are held every 4 years which makes it much more difficult to win, coz you have like 2 or 3 chances during your career. Masters and WTF are every year, it is like routine and you have much bigger chance to grab one.

The WTF is still very special in my mind, because I remember all the great tournaments of the past.

The top-8 players (you have to be part of them, not like Massu and Rosset) playing in a round-robin format is something very special, and this is not a routine tournament at all in my memory neither easy to win it (except maybe when there are many withdrawals and retirements like when Corretja won it in 1998)

Unfortunately the WTF has lost some of his prestige in recent years because world number 2 and 3, still recently world's top-2 players, decided deliberately not to consider it as worthy as it is, that's their fault, their decision which is bad for tennis :(

OK the Olympics now clearly have a higher prestige than MS1000 tournaments, but comparing to the WTF it's really a matter of appreciation.

As far as tennis history is concerned, the WTF talks to me much more than the Olympics.

But the Olympics tell me a lot more in other sports ;) (and still in these other sports I often doubted/disagreed when people said that Olympic medals were WAY more important than world championships)

LuCC
07-28-2012, 10:21 AM
The WTF is still very special in my mind, because I remember all the great tournaments of the past.

The top-8 players (you have to be part of them, not like Massu and Rosset) playing in a round-robin format is something very special, and this is not a routine tournament at all in my memory neither easy to win it (except maybe when there are many withdrawals and retirements like when Corretja won it in 1998)

Unfortunately the WTF has lost some of his prestige in recent years because world number 2 and 3, still recently world's top-2 players, decided deliberately not to consider it as worthy as it is, that's their fault, their decision which is bad for tennis :(

OK the Olympics now clearly have a higher prestige than MS1000 tournaments, but comparing to the WTF it's really a matter of appreciation.

As far as tennis history is concerned, the WTF talks to me much more than the Olympics.

But the Olympics tell me a lot more in other sports ;) (and still in these other sports I often doubted/disagreed when people said that Olympic medals were WAY more important than world championships)

I agree with you, I also think that WTF is more worthy than the olympic gold in tennis, since you have to work for it whole year to take part in finals and ofcourse, as your wrote, it lost its special aura.

TigerTim
07-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Clown post. No one said MS is bigger, although it probably is. Massu don't win MS events :rolleyes:

Mugs like Tsonga, Ljuba and Roddick didn't win Olympics either :shrug:

Looner
07-28-2012, 11:18 AM
A gold medal from the Olympics in tennis is special because of the Olympics themselves, not because of the tennis event. It commands a lot of respect due to the overall high profile of the Games, not because someone won over a normal Masters field :rolleyes:.

retister
07-28-2012, 01:08 PM
What if the winner were awarded with, say, 1000, or 2000 points? How would it rank then?

BroTree123
07-28-2012, 01:13 PM
A gold medal from the Olympics in tennis is special because of the Olympics themselves, not because of the tennis event. It commands a lot of respect due to the overall high profile of the Games, not because someone won over a normal Masters field :rolleyes:.

Tennis tard. Have some respect for sport in general.

coluta
07-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Steffi Graf on her facebook page:

Last night we watched the impressive opening ceremonies of London 2012 on TV. Seeing the Parade of Nations and the lighting of the Olympic cauldron – this year by 7 young upcoming British athletes – brings back strong emotions. It was such an honor to wear the German colors and walk with my compatriots into a stadium filled with so much anticipation. There is a unique energy to the ceremony as you stand there watching all the different countries in their special outfits being announced into the stadium, scanning the crowd for familiar athletes. Looking around you could see the pride and joy on the faces of all the competitors as we all tried to take in the moment (I only wish I had photos from this time). And you certainly have to admire the production and organization that goes into an event this important and seen by so many. This year’s Olympics are a milestone for women as all the participating countries are sending at least one female competitor – an Olympic first. And for the first time the US is sending more women than men. Congratulations to the athletes for realizing their dream and best of luck.

bjurra
08-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Anyone still thinks the Olympic tennis event is less important than a Masters event?

rafa_maniac
08-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Anyone still thinks the Olympic tennis event is less important than a Masters event?

Anyone who thinks that is trolling. I doubt any of the top 4 (or ten for that matter) would say they rate WTF over Olympics either, and most of them would probably put it on par with a Slam. Olympic tennis may not have a storied past, but right now its prestige is at an all time high. Such is the way that tournaments are viewed differently over time, only 25 years ago the Oz Open was a 2nd tier title and today noone will claim it's of any less worth than the other Slams.