why isn't nadal able to win off clay? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

why isn't nadal able to win off clay?

Andy1402
07-26-2012, 02:25 AM
Hey guys..new user here.
I am sure this question has been repeated millions of times but has been really nagging me. What changed in a couple of years, when nadal was winning everything in sight and was ob the verge of holding all 4 slams at once, to this year where he hasn't won anything off clay (struggled on blue clay too).
Thoughts would be appreciated.

dencod16
07-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Djokovic? he destroyed his confidence.

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 02:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ftMGw.jpg

Andy1402
07-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Yeah djokovic was the major factor. And rosol who played like he was possessed by god.
But i am also talking of non-GS tournaments. Has he lost the hunger to win or is his game so one dimensional that others have figured out a way to beat it ( by hitting recklessly down the line)

Sri
07-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Hey guys..new user here.
I am sure this question has been repeated millions of times but has been really nagging me. What changed in a couple of years, when nadal was winning everything in sight and was ob the verge of holding all 4 slams at once, to this year where he hasn't won anything off clay (struggled on blue clay too).
Thoughts would be appreciated.
He's been making the finals of all non-clay slams except W'12. So I won't be too worried. Just look how close AO'12 was.

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Yeah djokovic was the major factor. And rosol who played like he was possessed by god.
But i am also talking of non-GS tournaments. Has he lost the hunger to win or is his game so one dimensional that others have figured out a way to beat it ( by hitting recklessly down the line)

http://i.imgur.com/BJcUG.jpg

Sri
07-26-2012, 02:50 AM
True, he may not care that much about non-clay non-slam events. He is more vulnerable in a best of three.

MTwEeZi
07-26-2012, 02:55 AM
He is better on clay than other surfaces.

Andy1402
07-26-2012, 03:02 AM

I would say his game is atleast 1.5 times better on clay. The defensive style really works there. But maybe on faster surfaces ( i know the homogeneous surfaces theory but they are still faster) hisgame is becoming less effective. His game was most effective when federer lost his touch and before djokovic had his phenomenal rise.

Nole Rules
07-26-2012, 03:07 AM

No shit!

Johnbert
07-26-2012, 05:38 AM

are you really sure about that? :confused:

eclecticist
07-26-2012, 05:58 AM
his game is anchored on defense based around his unyielding stamina, which is very taxing on the body and knees so it is much more effective on clay than off of it. he was able to win everywhere when he was in his prime, but he turned pro very young and has played for a long time, his tennis years only slightly less than federer so even though he is 4 years younger than fed his body is declining already and deteriorating physical abilities means he is much less effective at playing his game off clay. also last year djokovic gave him no chance, and this year it seems like it seemed like the trend of slowing down courts at all tournaments has reversed ever so slightly.

Andy1402
07-26-2012, 06:16 AM
his game is anchored on defense based around his unyielding stamina, which is very taxing on the body and knees so it is much more effective on clay than off of it. he was able to win everywhere when he was in his prime, but he turned pro very young and has played for a long time, his tennis years only slightly less than federer so even though he is 4 years younger than fed his body is declining already and deteriorating physical abilities means he is much less effective at playing his game off clay. also last year djokovic gave him no chance, and this year it seems like it seemed like the trend of slowing down courts at all tournaments has reversed ever so slightly.

Perfect reasoning. However why does he continue to win on clay where maximum physical effort is required?

analysist
07-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Djokovic was a huge factor last year. Djokovic leads 9-3 on outdoor hard court. We can't forget his 4 losses off clay against Novak ( Indian Wells, Miami, Wimbledon, US Open). This year he 's very close to win AO, so may be a bit of unluck for him.

Andy1402
07-26-2012, 08:09 AM
IMO great players are seperated only by small margins we choose to call 'luck'.
Nadal is a gteat player no doubt but he is quite vulnerable on surfaces other than clay. He needs to prove he can win indoors for example. Not a single wtf trophy is definitely a blot.

JurajCrane
07-26-2012, 09:38 AM

You cannot be serious !

Andy1402
07-26-2012, 09:55 AM
You cannot be serious !

Lol!:)