LA R2: Mayer def. Cipolla 6-0 4-0 Ret. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

LA R2: Mayer def. Cipolla 6-0 4-0 Ret.

Javier Bardem
07-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Wow easy for Mayer. Cipolla had some kind of neck problem I think? He was down 15-40 in that last game could have been 6-0 6-0

dijus
07-25-2012, 10:07 PM
what a loser

disgusting behaviour by Cipolla

Freak3yman84
07-25-2012, 10:07 PM
OMG! I can't place any vCash correctly! That's been 4 in a row that I've gotten wrong :mad:

The Prince
07-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Flavio should have finished the match. Bad form by him.

Nixer
07-25-2012, 10:08 PM
I hope Sock was watching that

philosophicalarf
07-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Last double bagel in a main draw:

Cipolla d. Al Mutawa 6/0 6/0 in Doha.

Before that 2009.

Freak3yman84
07-25-2012, 10:14 PM

Before that 2009.

Really?? I thought double bagels were a lot more common than that :confused: I guess they mostly just happen to me when I play :shrug:

philosophicalarf
07-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Really?? I thought double bagels were a lot more common than that :confused: I guess they mostly just happen to me when I play :shrug:

Average about one every 10 months or so longer term. Plenty in qualis, but that's because they let futures players in there, and occasionally a local taxi driver or 2.

On the wtw it happens all the time though :-) Even in a final (Quebec 2006, bartoli vs puchkova), and three semis in the last decade.

nole_no1
07-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Volandri thought him well

Freak3yman84
07-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Average about one every 10 months or so longer term.

Plenty in qualis, but that's because they let futures players in there, and occasionally a local taxi driver or 2.

:haha: Well that's weird the Cipolla handed out the last one, and then should have gotten one today. I remember Murray triple bagelled Laurent Bram in DC, of course it's not in a MD. Do you know how many times triple bagels have occurred by any chance?

dijus
07-25-2012, 10:20 PM

Before that 2009.

that makes today's performance even more pathetic :o

Freak3yman84
07-25-2012, 10:21 PM
:haha: Well that's weird the Cipolla handed out the last one, and then should have gotten one today. I remember Murray triple bagelled Laurent Bram in DC, of course it's not in a MD. Do you know how many times triple bagels have occurred by any chance?

Nvm http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=148335 ;) Thanks for that stat! It really shows how rare those are :eek:

Vinceremo
07-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Expected result but Flavio should've finished the match for sure. I hope Leo finds some form now, Ram/Capdeville next so a very winnable match for him.

philosophicalarf
07-25-2012, 10:29 PM

They're stupid rare. Few in DC lower levels, because you get an amateur like Bram. Last was like 20 years ago in a slam.

The Prince
07-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Murray nearly triple bagelled Alberto Martin in the Aussie Open a few years back.

tennisfan856
07-25-2012, 10:34 PM
I hope Sock was watching that

it's not too late to sign up for college still.

TankingTheSet
07-25-2012, 10:36 PM
The funny thing is Leonardo Mayer is third seed here so he got a bye into the second round and now a virtual bye into the QF of an ATP tournament. Not bad for a player ranked 64.

Smoke944
07-25-2012, 10:37 PM
it's not too late to sign up for college still.

Even if that was true, who cares :shrug: He lost a match, oh well. Players don't play well coming back from lengthy injury layoffs, nothing to it.

tennisfan856
07-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Even if that was true, who cares :shrug: He lost a match, oh well. Players don't play well coming back from lengthy injury layoffs, nothing to it.

time will tell.

SVK
07-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Volandri thought him well

Stop being suspicious for once:rolleyes: I never heard of anything dodgy about Cipolla, if he would pull out a Volandri then he could easily sell all the unders, handicaps and so...which didn´t happen...money even went on Cipolla prematch.

evilmindbulgaria
07-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Wow, Sock must be pissed right now :lol:

Henry Chinaski
07-26-2012, 12:27 AM
They're stupid rare. Few in DC lower levels, because you get an amateur like Bram. Last was like 20 years ago in a slam.

cilic v van der merwe was the only "real" one in recent years.

merwe was ranked 128 at the time.

I think I read he was injured in the match but it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't. when his serve goes missing and his confidence drops, he looks like the worst player to ever pick up a racquet

CooCooCachoo
07-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Cipo :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Mayer would never normally double bagel Cipo, so I believe the neck problems must have been severe.

Nixer
07-26-2012, 06:24 AM

Injury isn't a problem... the guy has no basic idea about patience and point construction.

philosophicalarf
07-26-2012, 07:54 PM

Mayer would never normally double bagel Cipo, so I believe the neck problems must have been severe.

So severe that he's playing doubles the next day.

The Prince
07-26-2012, 07:59 PM

With his killer, lol.

The Prince
07-26-2012, 08:00 PM

Have you considered he might have been playing like shit?

CooCooCachoo
07-26-2012, 08:25 PM

It's possible that he was in too much pain, but the pain is gone the next day :shrug: Flavio is a good sport; I've never seen him do anything even remotely resembling bad sportsmanship on court, so I don't think he'd just retire to avoid a double bagel. Maybe I am a delusional fan, but I just can't see him doing it.

The Prince
07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
It's possible that he was in too much pain, but the pain is gone the next day :shrug: Flavio is a good sport; I've never seen him do anything even remotely resembling bad sportsmanship on court, so I don't think he'd just retire to avoid a double bagel. Maybe I am a delusional fan, but I just can't see him doing it.

I don't think it's THAT bad to retire before getting double bagelled. I mean, who wants to lose that way? I don't think you can automatically brand it an injury though, I reckon if he was really injured to any great degree of severity, he would have thrown in the towel a lot earlier.

And you're one of the most rational supporters of any player on MTF! :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
07-26-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't think it's THAT bad to retire before getting double bagelled. I mean, who wants to lose that way? I don't think you can automatically brand it an injury though, I reckon if he was really injured to any degree of severity, he would have thrown in the towel a lot earlier.

And you're one of the most rational supporters of any player on MTF! :yeah:

Well, I certainly understand why a player would do it, but I think Flavio is too classy for that and certainly wouldn't do it to his doubles partner.

Flavio still signed autographs after his five-set loss to Cervantes at Wimbledon this year, when he played like absolute shit and wasted what will probably be his best chance to ever win a match at Wimbledon. He's not a prick and never unfair. I just can't see it happening.

And in reply to your earlier statement: I don't doubt he was dreadful beyond words. Those days happen, and they're happening a bit too frequently as of late. It's back to Challengers very soon.

The Prince
07-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Well, I certainly understand why a player would do it, but I think Flavio is too classy for that and certainly wouldn't do it to his doubles partner.

Flavio still signed autographs after his five-set loss to Cervantes at Wimbledon this year, when he played like absolute shit and wasted what will probably be his best chance to ever win a match at Wimbledon. He's not a prick and never unfair. I just can't see it happening.

And in reply to your earlier statement: I don't doubt he was dreadful beyond words. Those days happen, and they're happening a bit too frequently as of late. It's back to Challengers very soon.

No no, I understand. Flavio is a really nice guy. I'm not sure about this incident.

I like him a lot, mainly because he's nice and has an interesting style. Everyone makes mistakes though, but who knows, maybe the 5 points he saved himself from playing yesterday helped him. I didn't see it so I can!5 make a definitive judgement.