Potential Future Spanish Star: Idol is Federer; likes Tomic [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Potential Future Spanish Star: Idol is Federer; likes Tomic

Ash86
07-24-2012, 08:12 PM
So I'd kind of assumed all young Spanish tennis players would idolise Nadal given that he's their countryman but interesting reading about Eduard Guell, born 1998, who's the junior Spanish and junior European champion and appears to be promising for his age. Gave an interview to a Spanish magazine and said:

How do you define within the track?

R. On the track I define myself as an attacking player, always trying to find the winning shot, although recent years have learned to defend and work more points. I consider myself a player with good attitude both on and off the track.

Q. What type of track you prefer?

R. prefer the hard court, but I like dirt, I'm pretty versatile, and I adapt to the two very easily. Normally I train on hard courts, but I usually compete more on the ground, so I'm used to playing on it.

P. Do you have references?

R. Roger Federer I also really like Bernard Tomic

P. Why?

R. Because I like his technique, his attitude on the track, elegance, and poise.Tomic I like because it's a different player from the rest is fun to watch.

P. Do you think that after Nadal, Ferrer, Almagro and the rest is a generation gap?

R.. Maybe, but we are talking of a time with a very high level, and it is normal in the coming years down a bit. Although we have been pushing back hard and believe and hope that we will continue to give joy to our courts.

P. What do you think all they have achieved Federer, Djokovic and Nadal?

R. That is spectacular and very difficult to repeat. Federer is the best player that ever lived, is breaking all records and I think he still has here to stay. Nadal, Roland Garros almost seven straight and speak for themselves and Djokovic not much to say, with only remember that in the first ten months of last season lost only three games, I think that's enough.

P..Do you encourage success for Nadal to move on?

R. Progress motivates me, my work every day and see it reflected both in my game and in the results. I like Nadal's mental strength to deal with the matches and the key to the game situations.

P. Who is the best player in history to you?

R . Roger Federer.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.puntodebreak.com%2F2012%2F07%2F 24%2Feduard-gueell-entrevista-al-talento-espanol

So an attacking Spanish player who prefers hard courts and has Federer as his idol, rather than Nadal, despite growing up in the Nadal era. Interesting to see how this kid does - think Toni won't let him get far after this insolence. ;)

Lazyking
07-24-2012, 08:16 PM
like him already :)

Rafa is the GOAT
07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Hater

TBkeeper
07-24-2012, 08:18 PM

+1

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Clay Mug

Lazyking
07-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Should note that he didn't diss Rafa and he is correct, whether you like Fed or not, he's one if not the greatest players to ever live.

Why does it matter if Nadal isn't his idol?

rocketassist
07-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Out of the top guys Federer in tennis terms most resembles the Spanish in footballing terms.

So I'm not surprised that he has a lot of fans there.

Mechlan
07-24-2012, 08:24 PM
A kid that can appreciate both Federer and Nadal. Well, he's already ahead of 90% of MTF.

Alex999
07-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Should note that he didn't diss Rafa and he is correct, whether you like Fed or not, he's one if not the greatest players to ever live.

Why does it matter if Nadal isn't his idol?
well, exactly. He was honest, he tried to explain his style of game. His favorite player is Federer and he still showed his respect for Djokovic and Nadal. It's easy to pick Fed as your favorite player and your inspiration, considering all of his achievements.

Ash86
07-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Should note that he didn't diss Rafa and he is correct, whether you like Fed or not, he's one if not the greatest players to ever live. Why does it matter if Nadal isn't his idol?

It doesn't. Federer is one of the greatest players of all times and of course lots of juniors will idolise him - and if you're an attacking player then you're even more like to prefer Federer to Djokovic/Nadal. Just thought it was interesting that a young Spaniard was such a Fed fan - Fed has a lot of fans in Spain too, as everywhere, but I imagine a lot of young Spanish juniors want to be the next "Nadal" given he's probably the biggest star in their country. Nothing wrong with liking Fed - the kid seems a bit different to the usual Spanish mould and that bodes well I suppose as it's the more unique ones that make an impact often.

Didn't post it to say the kid's wrong for not idolising Rafa - just found it interesting - plus he seems like he might have a good future. He talks about his closest rival being a Swiss junior - would love it if this Swiss kid was a defensive baseliner who loves clay and we had a future rivalry of these two!

Johnny Groove
07-24-2012, 08:29 PM
This guy may be one to watch.

Lleyton_
07-24-2012, 08:35 PM
I might become a Guelltard in 5-6 years.

motorhead
07-24-2012, 09:07 PM
yea looks promising, I mean he's 14 and he's already showed much more intelligence than half the ppl here.

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
He'll be a tomictard in 3 years after Bernard has the CGS and CYGS rapped up

Looner
07-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Nice piece of info. And, Ash, I thought you spoke Spanish. Seems like I was wrong :p.

He talks about his closest rival being a Swiss junior - would love it if this Swiss kid was a defensive baseliner who loves clay and we had a future rivalry of these two!

Oh, lol. If it is something close to that - the irony would be immense.

Roamed
07-24-2012, 09:38 PM
He talks about his closest rival being a Swiss junior - would love it if this Swiss kid was a defensive baseliner who loves clay and we had a future rivalry of these two!

:drool: That would be awesome! :p

Moozza
07-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Just another vulture.

finishingmove
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Clay Mug

He said he trains on hardcourts and prefers hard as a surface.

:facepalm:

IOFH
07-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Out of the top guys Federer in tennis terms most resembles the Spanish in footballing terms.

A bit far-fetched but not a bad comparison.

Fed's tennis = GOAT-style

Barcelona's football = GOAT-style

:worship:

mooncreek
07-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Didn't post it to say the kid's wrong for not idolising Rafa - just found it interesting - plus he seems like he might have a good future. He talks about his closest rival being a Swiss junior - would love it if this Swiss kid was a defensive baseliner who loves clay and we had a future rivalry of these two!
I actually find it more interesting that there aren't any younger Swiss players, male or female, on the tour. Federer wasn't the first from his country, as Hingis made a mark years before. Federer himself admits the effect of Marc Rosset winning gold but there doesn't seem to be any from his country following his path. We've certainly heard enough idolization from young players from other countries.

paseo
07-24-2012, 10:27 PM
They may consider this as treason.

nick the greek
07-24-2012, 11:01 PM
I hate him already.:)

AntiTennis
07-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Nice piece of info. And, Ash, I thought you spoke Spanish. Seems like I was wrong :p.

Oh, lol. If it is something close to that - the irony would be immense.
haha absolutely..I just read the complete interview in spanish and is very interesting, I like his answers, and his dream is win a grand slam.

abraxas21
07-25-2012, 01:19 AM
this guell will fill the need for fedmug after he retires. i can already envision tons of fedtards converting themselves to guelltards after feds retirement

abraxas21
07-25-2012, 01:20 AM
this is guell btw:

http://www.tenispain.com/fotos/fotos2012/21-babolat-esp-12/images/f24989-eduard-guell.jpg

quite white for a spanish. doesn't have a one hander like federer so i guess he won't shank as much either

BroTree123
07-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Traitor.

viruzzz
07-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Well... I think 70% of young tennis players prefer Federer over ANYONE.

Pirata.
07-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Eduard Guell, born 1998, who's the junior Spanish and junior European champion

omg :hysteric:

I feel so old, I still think kids born in 1998 are in diapers or something

quite white for a spanish.

Barfa wishes :rolleyes: Their game is as boringly effective as Rafa's.

Art&Soul
07-25-2012, 04:28 AM
:hearts: him :hearts:

Slade
07-25-2012, 04:28 AM
Obviously he is Federer's successor

Freak3yman84
07-25-2012, 04:30 AM
I feel like this shouldn't belong in GM, isn't there a juniors forum?

manadrainer
07-25-2012, 06:04 AM
A bit far-fetched but not a bad comparison.

Fed's tennis = GOAT-style

:worship:

This.

And I say this as FC Internazionale's fan (whose style resembles much more Nadal than Fed).

:)

bokehlicious
07-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Already won me over :hearts: vamos! :D

Arkulari
07-25-2012, 06:16 AM
this is guell btw:

http://www.tenispain.com/fotos/fotos2012/21-babolat-esp-12/images/f24989-eduard-guell.jpg

quite white for a spanish. doesn't have a one hander like federer so i guess he won't shank as much either

I'm nearly 6', white as a fucking ghost, green eyed and guess what? I'm as Spanish as Nadal or Gasol. :rolleyes: And i know tons of people who are not bronze skinned, the Celtiberian legacy is strong.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Gerard+Pique+Fernando+Llorente+Spain+Training+pZSE TxUUMh-l.jpg

http://techjost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Xabi-Alonso-Fernando-Torres-Spain_2785396.jpg

You'd be surprised at the amount of fans Roger has in Spain, he's very very very liked everywhere in the world.

They may consider this as treason.

Umm no, even the Spanish commentators jizz when Roger plays.

this guell will fill the need for fedmug after he retires. i can already envision tons of fedtards converting themselves to guelltards after feds retirement

:lol: so what do you expect? people to hold onto Roger's candle forever and ever? we always find players to watch if we truly like the sport ;)

finishingmove
07-25-2012, 06:38 AM
The Lannisters have infiltrated Spain.

P.S. two handed backhand? ...

GSMnadal
07-25-2012, 08:07 AM
This scrub will fall

samanosuke
07-25-2012, 08:21 AM
maybe first likeable spaniard

moon language
07-25-2012, 08:21 AM
this is guell btw:

He's obviously not hitting that ball on the rise. He should retire for his fans.

Asadinator
07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Tomic is loved :hearts:

duong
07-25-2012, 09:01 AM

what's even funnier is that that rival has a Serbo-Croatian name : Marko Osmakcic :lol:

But in this generation, the player who so far is far above the others is an American : Stefan Kozlov ... who was also born in ex-Yuguslavia, in Skopje, Macedonia. Americans are very good so far in that generation by the way (also Tiafoe, Mmoh, Ponwith, Blumberg)

Nice that he likes Tomic, I guess the fact most MTFers are not interested in Tomic's game is just related to the fact that many MTFers have a natural attraction to ballbashers :tape:

I feel like this shouldn't belong in GM, isn't there a juniors forum?

yes but Ash86 thought the most interesting is not to know about Guell (which is nice by the way :yeah: ), but to launch another Nadal-Fed controversy :rolleyes:

Looner
07-25-2012, 09:05 AM
He's obviously not hitting that ball on the rise. He should retire for his fans.

:lol:

Arkulari
07-25-2012, 09:14 AM
maybe first likeable spaniard

I'm really hurt :sad:

BroTree123
07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
He is not Spanish. He is fake.

Slade
07-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Agreed :haha:

I liked almost everything the guy said except the strange love of Tomug. I think that was uncalled for.

Chris Kuerten
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
MTF, where we discuss interviews of 14 year olds.

jrm
07-25-2012, 10:30 AM
how can anyone like Tomic :scratch:

Chris Kuerten
07-25-2012, 10:33 AM
how can anyone like Tomic :scratch:I don't like him either, but guys like him are good for the game.

duong
07-25-2012, 10:41 AM
MTF, where we discuss interviews of 14 year olds.

and we're stunned by how rational and mature they sound comparing to what we usually read :haha:

Corey Feldman
07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
be sure Nadal will never give him a practise session anywhere

but seriously, Moya and F.Lo have broke ranks this year, now another one :hearts:

samanosuke
07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm really hurt :sad:

i meant tennis player ;)

Felixavier10
07-27-2012, 11:21 AM
European Championships Plzen QF 27.7.2012
Mate Valkusz HUN - Eduard Guell Bartrina ESP 7-6, 6-0

Ash86
04-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Interview with Eduard Guell. Really does seem different from a lot of other young Spaniards. Great English for his age too!

7umEpFpJuMc

hipolymer
04-04-2013, 11:22 PM
It's a good thing this kid is too young to bend-over to his God, like the rest of the field does on a match to match basis.

HKz
04-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Very mature sounding kid. Doesn't matter who his idols are, but he seems pretty articulate and straightfoward with his speech so that is always a good thing.

Alex999
04-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Very mature sounding kid. Doesn't matter who his idols are, but he seems pretty articulate and straightfoward with his speech so that is always a good thing.
more mature than Tomic, that's for sure :D

rocketassist
04-04-2013, 11:40 PM
It's a good thing this kid is too young to bend-over to his God, like the rest of the field does on a match to match basis.

Like Goffin, who had set points to take Fed into a fifth?

fedalrock
04-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Is definitely mature :worship:
respects all of the top guys :bowdown:
Hope he makes it big in his career in the future.

Topspindoctor
04-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Looks like a mug to me.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

GSMnadal
04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Looks like a mug to me.

We'll probably never hear from him again

bokehlicious
04-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Looks like a mug to me.

We'll probably never hear from him again

:lol: look at the butthurt fangirls :awww:

GSMnadal
04-05-2013, 09:10 AM
:lol: look at the butthurt fangirls :awww:

Maybe. Maybe. He's the next Goffin.

Better avoid Nieminen for now

Surcouf
04-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Let's hope he will turn out better than Carlos "Next Nadal" Boluda and will be able to find his place on the tour. The number of players who were good at 13-16 years and who did not make it is quite big.

Javi
04-05-2013, 08:24 PM
He lost me at this:

What's your favorite actor?
Orlando Bloom

Seriously, I agree he sounds mature and articulate. Wish him a brilliant future in Tennis.