What's the best display of ball bashing tennis you've ever seen? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What's the best display of ball bashing tennis you've ever seen?

tommyg6
07-24-2012, 08:58 PM
For me, I got a bunch of choices cuz I love ball bashing tennis.

Soderling vs Rafa - Roland Garros 2009 4th Round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHwgdhD4SP0

Soderling vs. Llodra - TMS Paris semi-finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV-hcv4EHmU

and my favorite..
Lukas Rosol vs Rafa - Wimbledon 2012 2nd Round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmROvr_d90c

Freak3yman84
07-24-2012, 09:14 PM
For me, I got a bunch of choices cuz I love ball bashing tennis.

Soderling vs Rafa - Roland Garros 2009 4th Round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHwgdhD4SP0

Soderling vs. Llodra - TMS Paris semi-finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV-hcv4EHmU

and my favorite..
Lukas Rosol vs Rafa - Wimbledon 2012 2nd Round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmROvr_d90c

Let me help you out there ;)
WHwgdhD4SP0

AV-hcv4EHmU

VmROvr_d90c

EnriqueIG8
07-24-2012, 09:25 PM
this was pretty good (unfortunately both had Nadal involved in it, in the losing end)

jBOeQayp26A

d6xzq7oOdW8

tennisfan856
07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Just because it was so amazing to watch match after match, golubev's 2010 run at hamburg.

TheShowMustGoOn
07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Rosol v Rafa without doubt.

tommyg6
07-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Anyone here noticed most of these highlights involve Rafa in the losing end of these ball bashing matchups against these guys? :devil:

EnriqueIG8
07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
these two were pretty good as well

E7EEArsbbpc

_ReQmejWYy4&feature=related

Freak3yman84
07-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Del Potro 2009 US Open has definitely gotta be up there :cool:

mooncreek
07-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Why is it that most of the matches I think of have Nadal on the losing end? Gonzo, Soderling and Rosol have all shown that skill. Could add on Tsonga at AO and del Potro at USO 2009 (hesitant to put delPo's win over Federer but no doubt the one over Nadal was ball bashing).

Non-Nadal answer: Before Rosol at this year's Wimbledon, the big upset was Gulbis beating Berdych. When Gulbis' unforced errors are low (which is not often), the ball bashing is mesmerizing. I think to when he played Karlovic in the final of Delray Beach - to this day, I've never seen anyone bash back Ivo's serve like that.

Fed Muzza Killer
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
this was pretty good (unfortunately both had Nadal involved in it, in the losing end)

jBOeQayp26A

d6xzq7oOdW8

That Tsonga-Nadal match wasn't ball bashing , That was everything !

those magical Drop Volies ! My Goodness ! :worship:

motorhead
07-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Just because it was so amazing to watch match after match, golubev's 2010 run at hamburg.

yup

IOFH
07-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Tsonga vs. Nadal was no ball-bashing.

The best display must be Rosol in the 5th set. That's pretty much the definition of ball-bashing right there.

EnriqueIG8
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
That Tsonga-Nadal match wasn't ball bashing , That was everything !

those magical Drop Volies ! My Goodness ! :worship:

Tsonga vs. Nadal was no ball-bashing.

The best display must be Rosol in the 5th set. That's pretty much the definition of ball-bashing right there.

Maybe Tsonga constructed his points better and came to the net more but he was definately spanking the sh*t out of that ball.

Also was lucky with the netcords / drop volleys landing that short but come on. He blew Nadal off the court that day.

Looner
07-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Haven't watched many but Rosol was really quite incredible, especially in that 5th set.

tommyg6
07-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Seems to me that ball bashing tennis is like Kyptonite to Rafa Nadal's moonballing tennis, lol. :cool:

nole_no1
07-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Rosol against Nadal at Wimbledon especially the 5th set... you just can't beat that

Whiznot
07-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Safin over Sampras in a US Open final.

IOFH
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Maybe Tsonga constructed his points better and came to the net more but he was definately spanking the sh*t out of that ball.

Also was lucky with the netcords / drop volleys landing that short but come on. He blew Nadal off the court that day.

Sure he blew him off the court, but it was by a complete, attacking minded-game. Definitely not ball-bashing.

For me ball-bashing in it's truest sense is playing every point with the mindset of hitting every ball as hard as you can, until the point ends in a winner, an UFE or opponent forced error. I have never seen anything come nearly as close to that than Rosol did in that 5th set.

Whiznot
07-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Seems to me that ball bashing tennis is like Kyptonite to Rafa Nadal's moonballing tennis, lol. :cool:

Especially hard flat service returns at Nadal's feet. Combine those types of returns with highly animated movement just prior to Nadal's serve really seemed to freak out the moonballer.

viruzzz
07-25-2012, 12:04 AM
God... Every day I love more and more ball-bashing tennis.

The problem with most of ball bashers like Tsonga, is they transform into Clownga in one second.

Ajk822
07-25-2012, 12:13 AM
I can re-watch that Rosol-Nadal match on a loop. I totally understand why Nadal fans were bitter after that loss. EVERY ball was coming back hard and flat.

Henry Chinaski
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
calleri d hewitt us open 2007

calleri d agassi iw 2004

calleri d ferrero davis cup SF 2003

gordo could bash with anyone when he was on.

lucho_coria
07-25-2012, 12:20 AM
calleri d hewitt us open 2007

calleri d agassi iw 2004

calleri d ferrero davis cup SF 2003

gordo could bash with anyone when he was on.

I remember that match :) My god :worship: I have never seen something like that

Henry Chinaski
07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
6iXLvpW8Jn8

SVK
07-25-2012, 01:24 AM
6iXLvpW8Jn8

Wow, now this is impressive.

sexybeast
07-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Del Potro-Nadal first set and half in Davis Cup, Nadal wasnt even there.

motorhead
07-25-2012, 01:30 AM
Del Potro-Nadal first set and half in Davis Cup, Nadal wasnt even there.
:lol: true

Lugburz
07-25-2012, 02:37 AM
Blake - Gonzalez '08 Olympics, prolly not best I've ever seen, but close still...

Slade
07-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Soderling vs Nadal RG '09. The sound from Soderling's racquet was beastly

Action Jackson
07-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Calleri smashing Ferrero DC in Malaga 2003. Ferrero was RG champion and even the Spanish fans gave Calleri a standing ovation.

BodyServe
07-25-2012, 06:51 AM
I'll add another one: Soderling def. Federer French Open 2010

One of the few times (well Enqvist too) you see Federer completely overpowered.

asmazif
07-25-2012, 08:28 AM
yeh, Calleri beating Hewitt was always my go-to ballbash match. He was the man.

TigerTim
07-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Gilles SIMON def Rafa NADAL 3-6, 7-5, 7-6, MADRID MASTERS 2008 :worship:

Asadinator
07-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Tomic vs Cipolla :worship:

duong
07-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Anyone here noticed most of these highlights involve Rafa in the losing end of these ball bashing matchups against these guys? :devil:

it's just the reason why people remember these matches in MTF, but I've seen some better ones for sure,

now I just think of Gonzo in AO 2007, or as far as two players are concerned, Gonzo-Del Potro in Paris-Bercy 2009.

Safin in Bercy there were some impressive ones as well, against Hewitt for instance.

leng jai
07-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Hewitt, Rochus and Nadal have all been victims of impressive ball bashing.

stebs
07-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Tsonga, Berdych, Soderling and Del Potro have all produced some stunning performances of destructive hitting. That said, I would have to acquiesce with those saying Rosol's fifth set specifically. Not only because of how good it was (other players have played as well). Rather, because it was the most paradigmatic example of ball bashing I think I've ever seen in so many years of watching tennis. Rosol wasn't interested in staying in rallies AT ALL and yet barely missed a shot. Playing with that same attitude is what loses most people matches 0, 0 and 2 (Petszchner anyone?). Even Calleri's monster hitting had moments of margin. That said, the two FH returns on the deuce court at 4-2* in the fourth vs Hewitt were huge.

Edit: just noticed, of the first four players I mentioned, all of them have notably beaten both Federer and Nadal with some huge hitting. Berdych d. Nadal is the only one which hasn't occurred in a slam (in large part due to Nadal's mental resilience at this years AO where I think Berdych was very close to getting on top of him). Del Potro obviously got the biggest reward because he did it back to back for a slam. It's quite an interesting feature of the game right now that we have the great movers at the top in a bank of four (five if you include Ferrer who's position is less steady) followed by a cluster of the best big hitters.

Sophocles
07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
That said, I would have to acquiesce with those saying Rosol's fifth set specifically. Not only because of how good it was (other players have played as well). Rather, because it was the most paradigmatic example of ball bashing I think I've ever seen in so many years of watching tennis. Rosol wasn't interested in staying in rallies AT ALL and yet barely missed a shot. Playing with that same attitude is what loses most people matches 0, 0 and 2 (Petszchner anyone?).

Yes, this is true, but it also makes me wonder whether we can call Tsonga or Gonzales a ball-basher.

stebs
07-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes, this is true, but it also makes me wonder whether we can call Tsonga or Gonzales a ball-basher.

I guess it's a spectrum of 'ball-bashicity'. Whether you consider Gonzalez or Tsonga to be far enough along to count as 'ball-bashers' is clearly subjective. I may even wish to describe a player like that after some matches but not after others since, clearly, some matches are more 'ball-bashy' than others. The thing is, ball bashing is partly a function of shots hit and partly of attitude. Gonzalez can hardly be called one on the first metric because he sliced his backhand so often. Attitude wise though, he was a first rate ball basher, at least in many matches of his career.

Sophocles
07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I guess it's a spectrum of 'ball-bashicity'. Whether you consider Gonzalez or Tsonga to be far enough along to count as 'ball-bashers' is clearly subjective. I may even wish to describe a player like that after some matches but not after others since, clearly, some matches are more 'ball-bashy' than others. The thing is, ball bashing is partly a function of shots hit and partly of attitude. Gonzalez can hardly be called one on the first metric because he sliced his backhand so often. Attitude wise though, he was a first rate ball basher, at least in many matches of his career.

I find it hard to call anybody with a single-handed backhand a ball-basher. For me the archetypal ball-basher is Soderling: smacks the shit out of the ball on both wings, no touch, no slice, no net game.

duong
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I find it hard to call anybody with a single-handed backhand a ball-basher. For me the archetypal ball-basher is Soderling: smacks the shit out of the ball on both wings, no touch, no slice, no net game.

in AO 2007 Gonzo used a lot his new flat backhand, and as Stebs said, Gonzo's attitude often was the most emphatic of ballbashing imo : no fear at all, just going for his shots with enthusiasm and sometimes euphoria from whatever position.

Söderling gives me more an impression like Del Potro (although more of a ballbasher, I mean not playing percentage, than Del Potro) : constant powerful shot but not really sudden bullets like Gonzo's.

paseo
07-25-2012, 01:38 PM

This.

IOFH
07-25-2012, 03:44 PM

golSxphjxVw&

Sod must've hit at least 10 consecutive 90+ mile shots there.

Li Ching Yuen
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Easily Soderling against Federer in the QFs of Roland Garros.

Fed fordawin
07-25-2012, 05:32 PM
it's just the reason why people remember these matches in MTF, but I've seen some better ones for sure,

now I just think of Gonzo in AO 2007, or as far as two players are concerned, Gonzo-Del Potro in Paris-Bercy 2009.

Safin in Bercy there were some impressive ones as well, against Hewitt for instance.

This. That was absurrd hitting. I'm really sad there's no video on youtube, that match was so fun! Too bad Gonzo retired after losing the second though

r2473
07-25-2012, 05:41 PM
safin - agassi australian open 2004

both guys bashing at the highest level. just listen to the sound off the racquet from both

MrCyCbXe1d0

Nole Rules
07-25-2012, 05:44 PM
6iXLvpW8Jn8

This is SICK!!!! That Calleri could beat anyone.

Mark Lenders
07-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Ferrer def. Djokovic 6-3, 6-1 at WTF last year.

One of the rare instance where Ferrer's mindless and underpowered bashing yielded results against a top player in a big(gish) match.

Nole Rules
07-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Ferrer def. Djokovic 6-3, 6-1 at WTF last year.

One of the rare instance where Ferrer's mindless and underpowered bashing yielded results against a top player in a big(gish) match.

:superlol: