Federer vs Djokovic. Who is the favourite for the Olympics? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer vs Djokovic. Who is the favourite for the Olympics?

duarte_a
07-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Who is the favourite to win the Olympics?

Who has the edge in the finals should they meet?

Who is more likely to be upset?

Does the fact that the tournament lasts 1 week only and hence the grass is less worn out by the final weekend favour Roger?

Discuss.

hipolymer
07-24-2012, 02:17 PM
If Djokovic plays like 2011 there is only one winner. If he plays like 2012 then Federer will win.

Johnbert
07-24-2012, 02:17 PM
fed is a better grasscourt-player than djokovic, but if they should meet in the final it's 50/50 imo... a lot depends on the form on the day.

Chase Visa
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Fed is much better on grass, particularly first-week grass.

Looner
07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
If Djokovic plays like 2011 there is only one winner. If he plays like 2012 then Federer will win.

Lol, no. Try again.

I'd say they're joint favourites because they don't necessarily need to play against each other.

Blathzer
07-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Yaa 2011 FO ..only 1 winner ..such a big mouth:angel:

finishingmove
07-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Considering how Djokovic, despite being sick, schooled Federer in that 2nd set at Wimbledon, I would have him as heavy favourite should they meet.

Federer is just outgunned here.

leng jai
07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Surprising opinion you go there Arsen.

tennizen
07-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Federer will probably lose the first match he plays.

finishingmove
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Although this might prove to be the most accurate answer...

duarte_a
07-24-2012, 02:31 PM

Why do you say that? He is one of the players with the best form right now.

leng jai
It's a certainty if he meets Ernie in the first round.

Johnbert
Considering how Djokovic, despite being sick, schooled Federer in that 2nd set at Wimbledon, I would have him as heavy favourite should they meet.

:spit:

and what about the other 3 sets?

Looner
This is going to be another golden thread where another Noletard will be put to the sword of embarrassment due to his/her big mouth.

Han Solo
Federer is number one in the world. He's just won the biggest grass tournament in the world. He's done that over seven matches, best of five, over two weeks. He beat a slightly off-the-pace Djokovic in the semi-final to win. He has to be the favourite, don't you think?

Again, due to their only previous meeting on grass (see above) being won by Federer, he clearly has the edge in the final.

I do feel Federer might be more likely to lose early, though, especially if he still has back problems - he almost lost to Benneteau early on in Wimbledon. Djokovic on the other hand looked comfortable in the early rounds.

Ultimately the fact the tournament is shorter (ie. best of three) should suit Federer, who is older and therefore perhaps has less stamina than Djokovic. If the courts play quick and low then again you would think Federer has the edge.

Johnbert
07-24-2012, 02:36 PM

ah, i see, rg 2011 never happenend...

Absolute Anthropoid
07-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Djokovic is the favourite. I don't trust Fedmug, I know he will mug out in R1.

The Fearhand
07-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Never bet against Fed on grass. I like Djo and all and I think he has a good shot and his motivation will be at the highest but I see Fed having the best shot at winning it mainly because of the surface. 3 set is probably going to help Djo a bit more because if you lose the 1st set it's going to be extra tough not just physically but especially mentally. You have a better shot at defeating Fed in 3 sets than 5 on grass. The element of surprise is much bigger in 3 setters.

The Fearhand
07-24-2012, 02:40 PM

They are just blindly hating, sadly.

Anyone with half a brain knows Fed isn't gonna lose his first match.
I think he's not even gonna break a sweat (figuratively speaking) up until the semi finals.

jcempire
07-24-2012, 02:40 PM

you got it

Yes, I go with you

duarte_a
07-24-2012, 02:44 PM

And what do you think djokovic will play like?!

We are in 2012 after all...

GSMnadal
07-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Don't see anything that has changed since Wimbledon, definitely Federer

duong
07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Can't say at all, more than in any other tournament I will watch day by day.

First the draw then first rounds.

I'm looking forward to their shape after 3 weeks without any tournament (Djokovic looked on bad form in RG but on good one in Wimbledon except in his final match, also I want to see how the loss in Wimbledon and the loss of the number 1 has affected him ; Fed had hip then back issues when he came back from holiday in Madrid, played bad at first on grass but finished very well).

And on a new grass in 2-setters against top-70 players, some very motivated, both can be upset in first rounds.

Total uncertainty imo. Olympic event. It will all start on saturday and in all sports, will depend on the day's shape.

finishingmove
07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
:spit:

and what about the other 3 sets?

Do you have some kind of impairment ?

Why are you neglecting the facts?

Djokovic had huge problems with every aspect of his game during all four sets. He was ill.

ah, i see, rg 2011 never happenend...

RG 2011, the event at which Federer playing one of his best matches in the last five years and beat a burnt out Djokovic, undefeated since the start of the season.

It sure happened.

tennizen
07-24-2012, 02:56 PM

I am just basing it on his past performances at the Olympics. Seems like he cannot handle the Olympic pressure.

But anyway, if they both manage to meet, then I would say

Djokovic's patriotism >>>>>>>>> Fed's patriotism and the Olympic gods will definitely assist him due to this.

Ububub
07-24-2012, 02:57 PM
To quote the Serbian Soothsayer from the Mountaintop:

The King is Dead, Long Live the King!

(Except she meant it the other way around and was two years premature.)

duong
07-24-2012, 03:02 PM
I am just basing it on his past performances at the Olympics. Seems like he cannot handle the Olympic pressure. .

in 2008 he had just lost to Simon and Karlovic while playing awfully, he was ready to lose to Blake :shrug: (I didn't watch that match)

in 2004 he lost to Berdych, I didn't watch that match either (Olympics ...) but well Berdych was very talented already and Fed is a good match-up for him.

SaFed2005
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM

If Djoko met Fed during 2011 in the Wimby semis, he would have lost just like he did this year. Fed will always be the favorite vs Djoko on grass.

sportstennis
07-24-2012, 03:05 PM

sick?. interesting. The way the fan of Novak Djokovic has justified the excuse.

When Novak wins in SF. An injury of Roger's back. sick. A decline of age. These become a cause similarly. Do you say that it is the same also as it?

bokehlicious
07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Considering how Federer, despite having a broken back, schooled Djokovic in sets 1, 3 and 4 at Wimbledon, I would have him as heavy favourite should they meet.

Djokovic is just outgunned here.

sportstennis
07-24-2012, 03:07 PM

When Novak wins in SF. An injury of Roger's back. sick. A decline of age. These become a cause similarly. Do you say that it is the same also as it?

Roger Federer had a slump of sick influence repeatedly. And present, he has already declined.

We know it.

Looner
07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Considering how Federer, despite having a broken back, schooled Djokovic in sets 1, 3 and 4 at Wimbledon, I would have him as heavy favourite should they meet.

:worship:

duarte_a
07-24-2012, 03:10 PM

:haha:

DemiCrayanhan
07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
i honestly don't get it.

who is the current grasscourt major winner? who did he beat to win? how can you favor the loser in the same exact scenario just 3 weeks later?

you can hope and dream as, thankfully, anything is possible in sports, but can you really rationally believe he's the favorite?

oh and please, spare me the he was ill crap.

finishingmove
07-24-2012, 03:16 PM

I'm not 'handling' anything. It's not up to my interpretation if the man himself claimed to have felt ill. It was also very obvious to anyone who watched the match with his eyes.

I know there are many people here blind to actual facts, who watch their favourite through their hearts. It's cute. But facts remain. :awww:

TigerTim
Andy Murray.

sportstennis
I am just basing it on his past performances at the Olympics. Seems like he cannot handle the Olympic pressure.

But anyway, if they both manage to meet, then I would say

Djokovic's patriotism >>>>>>>>> Fed's patriotism and the Olympic gods will definitely assist him due to this.

what Prejudice.

The number of times that Roger Federer played a game from the Davis cup. It is already larger than Sampras and Nadal. Roger held too much many games, when young.

However, it was not rewarded. Switzerland is a small country.

You cannot understand Roger Federer's patriotism.

lol

Whiznot
07-24-2012, 03:24 PM
I voted for Federer but Fed has a long history of olympic chokes and often plays badly in Davis Cup matches. Best of three is a disadvantage. Djokovic gets the bronze.

duarte_a
07-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Who is the favourite to win the Olympics?

Who has the edge in the finals should they meet?

Who is more likely to be upset?

Does the fact that the tournament lasts 1 week only and hence the grass is less worn out by the final weekend favour Roger?

Discuss.

What do you guys think about the question in bold.

Do you think the grass will be in good shape in the final weekend? And will that help Roger (should he get to the finals)?

Looner
07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
It should be but the hotter weather (for the first few days) might have an influence. Let's hope it rains for the decisive stages :inlove:.

Sophocles
07-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Erm, it's on grass, right?

Daft question.

duarte_a
07-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Erm, it's on grass, right?

Daft question.

I think so too. But since I've read in other Olympic related threads some posters saying that djokovic is the favourite I thought to make a thread about it.

IMO Roger is the favourite because he moves better on grass than djokovic does.

duarte_a
07-24-2012, 04:02 PM
It should be but the hotter weather (for the first few days) might have an influence. Let's hope it rains for the decisive stages :inlove:.

Definitely. ;)

Freak3yman84
07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
WWW between Fed and Djokovic? Neither. Young and Harrison are going to the finals, and Young will win. When will you guys start realizing the facts?!

duarte_a
07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
WWW between Fed and Djokovic? Neither. Young and Harrison are going to the finals, and Young will win. When will you guys start realizing the facts?!

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about that. ;)

Then what about the bronze medal match? Who do you think is the favourite?

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 04:06 PM

Tomic.

Freak3yman84
07-24-2012, 04:10 PM

TigerTim you genius. You read my mind... Tomic over an injured Sergiy Stakhovsky for the Bronze! FTB!

duong
07-24-2012, 04:57 PM
I voted for Federer but Fed has a long history of olympic chokes and often plays badly in Davis Cup matches.

after the first round of 2000 Davis cup (he had lost 4 singles matches until then but was not 19 yet), Fed has been 28/2 in singles in Davis cup (his loss against Isner was his first one in DC since Hewitt came back from 2 sets to love to defeat him in 2003 DC semifinal)

He's got the record for the longest streak of sets won in singles in Davis cup : 31 between 2001 and 2003, when he was not number 1 yet.

That streak has just been equalled by Nadal between 2008 and 2011 (Nadal played only on clay in Davis cup during that period : as in nearly all of his Davis cup carreer he missed Daviscup matches played abroad).

Besides about Djokovic and the supposed "patriotism in Davis cup" : at Djokovic's current age, Fed had played 41 DC rubbers (singles and doubles), 30 for Djokovic. Djokovic didn't play Davis cup this year.

The difference in Davis cup between Fed on the one hand and Nadal and Djokovic in the other hand ? Fed didn't have enough good partners, esp. in his young years when he could play more. He has to play doubles constantly because of that and can't miss a match and still win and enjoy the latter rounds of the Davis cup as Nadal (at home only :rolleyes: ) and Djokovic can.

Djokovic is clearly more "patriotic" on another side but that comes more from very different Serbian and Swiss contexts.

cardio
07-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Fed even wouldnt have been in Round 4 in Wimby if it was played by Olympic format .Benny kicked his ass in first two sets if you forgot that ! Fedtards stupidity is beyond any imaginable level. Fed wouldnt get past 1st round in Wimby 2010 either if it was best of 3 .Even Alejandro fucking Falla was better than him in this format and you are drooling about Olympic gold ??!

Forget it.

DJ Soup
07-24-2012, 05:11 PM
depends on the weather

Johnny Groove
07-24-2012, 05:15 PM
The market says Djokovic, but only just.

Wonder what Simon Reed has to say.

rocketassist
07-24-2012, 05:16 PM
The market says Djokovic, but only just.

Wonder what Simon Reed has to say.

His jinx is delayed these days.

Sophocles
07-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Fed even wouldnt have been in Round 4 in Wimby if it was played by Olympic format .Benny kicked his ass in first two sets if you forgot that ! Fedtards stupidity is beyond any imaginable level. Fed wouldnt get past 1st round in Wimby 2010 either if it was best of 3 .Even Alejandro fucking Falla was better than him in this format and you are drooling about Olympic gold ??!

Forget it.

Wimbledon 1st round 2010: N. Djokovic def. O. Rochus 4-6,6-2,3-6,6-4,6-2.

Now piss off.

Johnny Groove
07-24-2012, 05:20 PM
His jinx is delayed these days.

Fed better watch out, then.

Say Simon Reed picks Djokovic for the Gold Medal. He may win it, sure, but his USO campaign is basically fucked.

If I were in their shoes, I may ask Simon Reed not to pick me :lol:

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Now piss off.

2010 is not 2012

rocketassist
07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Arsen hooked you all again. :lol:

Roy Emerson
07-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Federer. He is much better on grass the Djokovic.

If Djoko met Fed during 2011 in the Wimby semis, he would have lost just like he did this year. Fed will always be the favorite vs Djoko on grass.

Agree.

cardio
07-24-2012, 05:42 PM

Now piss off.

Djokovic didnt win Wimby in 2010, he lost in SF to Berdych . Fedtards main reason to believe that their hero will win Olympics is his recent (and rare in last years) Wimby 2012 run. But it was lucky run and it wouldnt have been run at all by Olympics format.

We`ll see who is right and who is wrong in next few weeks though...

IOFH
07-24-2012, 05:51 PM
I'd say Federer, slightly. Better form, more natural on the surface, grass not as worn out. I would be surprised if both made it through to meet in the finals though.

Johnbert
07-24-2012, 06:05 PM

Forget it.

what a clown :haha:

ok, lets play a game... if slams would be bo3

djokovic wouldn't
have been in the final rg 2012 (lost to seppi in r4 0-2)
have won the ao 2012 (lost to murray in the semis 1-2)
have won the uso 2011 (lost to fed in the semis 0-2)

or another exampel: nadal would've lost to jonny isner r1 at rg 2011...

this guy can't be serious, really :rolleyes:

sexybeast
07-24-2012, 06:11 PM

Yeah, right. Djokovic 2011 couldnt even beat Federer in RG, you think he would beat Federer on grass?

Djokovic fans needs to accept facts here, Djokovic cant handle low bounces, cant volley, cant slice and cant even hit a proper smash. Nothing in his games adjust well to the grasscourt surface, that is true even for the more high bouncing and slower grass of the 21th century.

xcom
07-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Never bet against Fed on grass. I like Djo and all and I think he has a good shot and his motivation will be at the highest but I see Fed having the best shot at winning it mainly because of the surface. 3 set is probably going to help Djo a bit more because if you lose the 1st set it's going to be extra tough not just physically but especially mentally. You have a better shot at defeating Fed in 3 sets than 5 on grass. The element of surprise is much bigger in 3 setters.

You do realize the final is played best of 5 format?

Allez
07-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Any best of 3 situation suits Nole, so he's definitely more favoured to reach the final. I'd still pick him over a 31 year old with back problems in a 5 set final. However this debate is moot because I'm picking Murray for the title :rocker2: This is his Olympics. In the final it's not just going to be pure tennis fans in the stands. There's going to be 14900 thousand union jacks waving for Murray. The other 100 flags will belong to the other finalist's Olympics team mates. It's going to be insane. Davis Cup atmosphere :D

masterclass
07-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah, right. Djokovic 2011 couldnt even beat Federer in RG, you think he would beat Federer on grass?

Djokovic fans needs to accept facts here, Djokovic cant handle low bounces, cant volley, cant slice and cant even hit a proper smash. Nothing in his games adjust well to the grasscourt surface, that is true even for the more high bouncing and slower grass of the 21th century.

And a lot of it all basically comes down to poorer footwork. Mr. Djokovic is probably the greatest east-west mover in the game today, though Nadal is there as well on clay. But I distinguish between excellent movement and good footwork. Neither Djokovic nor Nadal has the best footwork as evidenced by their rather poor showing on the Madrid blue clay, slipping, being wrong footed, etc. To be able to perfom those skills mentioned properly on grass or other slippery surfaces, one needs to have excellent footwork.

It's similar on fresh grass. Those players with poorer footwork will slip more often than not. During the second week of Wimbledon both Djokovic and Nadal will improve for two main reasons. In sunny hot weather the soil becomes more baked and hard leading to higher bounces and it becomes easier to defend. The second reason is that the baseline grass becomes thoroughly worn down to dirt and they don't slip running east-west on or behind the baseline. They can then control their slide and footing better, probably Nadal better than Djokovic (whose best footing is on hard courts).

However, this year at Wimbledon, it was humid and wet much of the time with little sun. The grass stayed in better shape much longer. Once out of the service area of the baseline, especially wide near the doubles alley the grass was more lush and slippery. Djokovic had trouble there, Murray had trouble there, as well as inside the court approaching the net, and Nadal as well could not reverse direction easily. When Djokovic doesn't have confidence in footing the rest of his game deteriorates, partially due to not being able to execute as he wishes, which then leads to a lack of confidence mentally. I think it was a significant factor for his 2011 loss to Federer at Roland Garros where the clay was inconsistent, deeper in some places behind the baseline, and he often stumbled, as Federer took advantage of the quicker balls to reduce the time Djokovic had to defend.

This year Federer clearly took advantage of his relatively superb footwork on the more slippery lusher grass surface at Wimbledon.
I think David Ferrer's footwork is also good (did you seem him in Madrid?) and may be a good reason why he made it so far this year at Wimbledon.

If the grass stays lush and doesn't deteriorate, especially on or around the baseline, I believe Mr. Djokovic is at a disadvantage, unless he can find some shoes that give him better footing...

Respectfully,
masterclass

Corey Feldman
07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Number one is fave

Lynette Federer after Wimbledon "The king is dead, long live the King"

August
07-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Federer just won Wimbledon and beat Djokovic in SF, so he's the favourite. And Roger has played well over the past year, you can't say his Wimbledon title was just good luck. On the other hand, I wonder if best-of-three actully helps Roger. Previously that seemed to be the case, as there were doubts if best-of-five matches are too long for him. But, best-of-five matches weren't too long for him at Wimbledon Championships, best-of-three makes beating Federer easier.

The Fearhand
07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
You do realize the final is played best of 5 format?

This isn't about Fed vs Djo in a single match it is about who the favorite is to win the gold medal. Those QF, SF matches are going to be tough and there's going to be a lot of surprises IMO because of 3 set matches. There's a LONG road to the finals and with 3 setters the element of surprise can create for some early exits for the top players here and there. I'm expecting Djo and Fed to reach the SF at least but anything can happen up until that point. Djo is usually strong early on so it being 3 setters as opposed to 5 won't hurt him as much as it could Fed because he can start out a bit slow in the early stages and take his tennis to a higher level as he passes each round.

retister
07-24-2012, 09:45 PM
And a lot of it all basically comes down to poorer footwork. Mr. Djokovic is probably the greatest east-west mover in the game today, though Nadal is there as well on clay. But I distinguish between excellent movement and good footwork. Neither Djokovic nor Nadal has the best footwork as evidenced by their rather poor showing on the Madrid blue clay, slipping, being wrong footed, etc. To be able to perfom those skills mentioned properly on grass or other slippery surfaces, one needs to have excellent footwork.

It's similar on fresh grass. Those players with poorer footwork will slip more often than not. During the second week of Wimbledon both Djokovic and Nadal will improve for two main reasons. In sunny hot weather the soil becomes more baked and hard leading to higher bounces and it becomes easier to defend. The second reason is that the baseline grass becomes thoroughly worn down to dirt and they don't slip running east-west on or behind the baseline. They can then control their slide and footing better, probably Nadal better than Djokovic (whose best footing is on hard courts).

However, this year at Wimbledon, it was humid and wet much of the time with little sun. The grass stayed in better shape much longer. Once out of the service area of the baseline, especially wide near the doubles alley the grass was more lush and slippery. Djokovic had trouble there, Murray had trouble there, as well as inside the court approaching the net, and Nadal as well could not reverse direction easily. When Djokovic doesn't have confidence in footing the rest of his game deteriorates, partially due to not being able to execute as he wishes, which then leads to a lack of confidence mentally. I think it was a significant factor for his 2011 loss to Federer at Roland Garros where the clay was inconsistent, deeper in some places behind the baseline, and he often stumbled, as Federer took advantage of the quicker balls to reduce the time Djokovic had to defend.

This year Federer clearly took advantage of his relatively superb footwork on the more slippery lusher grass surface at Wimbledon.
I think David Ferrer's footwork is also good (did you seem him in Madrid?) and may be a good reason why he made it so far this year at Wimbledon.

If the grass stays lush and doesn't deteriorate, especially on or around the baseline, I believe Mr. Djokovic is at a disadvantage, unless he can find some shoes that give him better footing...

Respectfully,
masterclass

Quoted for educational purposes :worship:

retister
07-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Do you have some kind of impairment ?

Why are you neglecting the facts?

Djokovic had huge problems with every aspect of his game during all four sets. He was ill.

It sure happened.

Dude, you are serious with all this? And there I thought it was masterful trolling all along.
FYI Djok might have been ill or something, but it sure didn't affect his level of play which was right around his average this year.
He was simply outsmarted on court, without showing even a hint of a plan b. If he doesn't come up with something new, he will be routined again cause Fed will easily play to his weaknesses which are quite obvious on grass.
I'm not even sure he can change anything but up his serve % and hope for Roger's level to dip.

iriraz
07-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Certainly fitness will be key in this tournament.Playing 6 matches over 9 days + doubles matches as well it will be tough for everyone.It won`t be a surprise if a top player goes out early in singles,just like Federer did 4 years ago,and then gets a medal playing doubles.Lots of surprises are possible in this best of 3 format on grass.

Fed Muzza Killer
07-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Djokovic 1.0 or 2.0 doesnt matter, Fed is favourite on Grass.

uxyzapenje
07-24-2012, 10:16 PM
If Fed is so obvious favourite, why do bookies have Novak at no1? They like losing money?

Fed Muzza Killer
07-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Bookies had novak as the Favourite at Wimbledon ! so what ?
it's clear that Djokovic has Match-Up issues against Fed , especially on a Low-Bouncing sourface wich Fed's slice will hurt him badly.

uxyzapenje
07-24-2012, 10:36 PM
That's bcs Novak WAS the favourite. Federer won and he was better player, but you can't say, watching Novak at first 5 rounds and watching Fed first 5 rounds, and having Novak beaten Fed last 2 times so easy, that Fed was the favourite. And that was a small upset. And he still isn't. And what match=up issues? The issue is that Fed is one of the greatest players ever. On the other hand you can say Fed has match-up against Novak bcs he only leads him by 3 matches in H2H and Novak beat him more then once when he was no3 and Fed was no1.

If you win the match, that doesn't mean you were the favourite. It's like saying Rosol was the favourite against Rafa just bcs he won.

Blathzer
07-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Number one is fave

Lynette Federer after Wimbledon "The king is dead, long live the King"

it ahould be like "The Prince is dead, long live the Prince"

Revan
07-24-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm not 'handling' anything. It's not up to my interpretation if the man himself claimed to have felt ill. It was also very obvious to anyone who watched the match with his eyes.

I know there are many people here blind to actual facts, who watch their favourite through their hearts. It's cute. But facts remain. :awww:

Indeed the facts remain. The facts are Federer is #1 and Djokovic is not. The fact is Federer just beat Djokovic in 4 sets, rather easily on grass. The fact is the Olympics are being played on grass. The same grass Federer beat Djokovic. The fact is Federer is the favourite. But, as you say, keep "watching through your heart".

:facepalm:

IOFH
07-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Any best of 3 situation suits Nole, so he's definitely more favoured to reach the final.

Why do you think that? Against the field I'd say best of 3 hurts both players.

RForever
07-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Here is an article from Czech web about Berdych training with Fed and Nole. Lazy to translate, google should handle it.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&u=http%3A//www.sport.cz/loh/tenis/clanek/430628-berdycha-ve-wimbledonu-proveril-djokovic-s-federerem-kvitovou-dusil-trener.html%23hp-sez

shumpy
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
After the grass court lesson Fed gave Djokovic recently it's a no brainer. Same court, same result if they meet.

Looner
07-25-2012, 12:19 AM
After the grass court lesson Fed gave Djokovic recently it's a no brainer. Same court, same result if they meet.

Wrong. Djokovic is not taking any sets off his grass-court master .

Roy Emerson
07-25-2012, 12:24 AM

Pretty much.

nick the greek
07-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Let's not.Let's hope Ballerina will have an early exit.

nick the greek
07-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Federer is vulnerable in BO3 to players like Falla & Benneteau.
Yep.He'll lose early and that will be good for the game.

Freak3yman84
07-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Let's not.Let's hope Ballerina will have an early exit.

Mmmmmk we get the point. You don't like Federer. One post is enough, right??

MuzzahLovah
07-25-2012, 12:56 AM
I don't know, but what is certain is that they are a lock for the finals. Especially Fed- there is no way on earth he's going out before the final match, he's a 90% against his guaranteed opponent, Djokovic.

nick the greek
07-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Mmmmmk we get the point. You don't like Federer. One post is enough, right??
One post?Naaaah.Wogie is so special,he deserves more,no?

Freak3yman84
07-25-2012, 01:14 AM
One post?Naaaah.Wogie is so special,he deserves more,no?

My answer is in bold ;)

AntiTennis
07-25-2012, 01:15 AM
mmmm I think they won't meet in the Olympics, in best of three sets in grass..there can be a lot of surprises, but if they meet in the final so then I think Roger is clearly the favorite, he has a lot of confidence and is grass :shrug:.

Say Hey Kid
07-25-2012, 01:38 AM
being "The Favorite" is not a subjective term. It means who is favored (odds wise, to win).

Novak Djokovic is the favorite, with Federer very close behind him.

Who would be the favorite in the finals? Alot depends on form, but i'd make it very close to a Pick.

Art&Soul
07-25-2012, 05:33 AM
All depends on Federer's racquet, Fakervic has no chance if Federer turns into Goderer

Johnbert
07-25-2012, 06:15 AM

this guy is obsessed with fed :rolleyes:

Acer
07-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Wow I see the Federer bandwagon has gained enormous force

Litotes
07-25-2012, 08:19 AM
What do you guys think about the question in bold.

Do you think the grass will be in good shape in the final weekend? And will that help Roger (should he get to the finals)?

Whether or not good grass late in the tournament will help Roger depends on the opposition, I think.

Against Djokovic I expect it will help. Same if he should meet Ferrer or Del Potro (not that he needs help against these two).
Against Murray I don't think it will matter one way or another.
Against Tsonga or Berdych (or Roddick) I think it will more likely help the opponent.

Litotes
07-25-2012, 08:30 AM
If Fed is so obvious favourite, why do bookies have Novak at no1? They like losing money?

You seem confused about how bookies operate.

If more money is played on Djokovic to win, he will have lower odds. The bookies do not try make a killing by guessing the right winner. They try to position themselves so that they will get a small slice of the action no matter who wins.

07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
The fact is Federer is the favourite.

Bookmakers say Djokovic is the favorite http://www.oddschecker.com/olympics/tennis/mens-singles/winner

The fact is Djokovic is the favourite.

Looner
07-25-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't know, but what is certain is that they are a lock for the finals. Especially Fed- there is no way on earth he's going out before the final match, he's a 90% against his guaranteed opponent, Djokovic.

You completely fail at jinxes, just like your favourite fails at winning slams.

manadrainer
07-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Nole is the favourite, no? He holds two slams, no? For sure Roger can't be favourite, no?

tripwires
07-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Roger has the edge over Djokovic on grass.

Thanos
07-25-2012, 11:01 AM
tomic.

leng jai
07-25-2012, 11:02 AM
The only flaw in that assertion is that Tomic does not care for mickey mouse tournaments.

Fujee
07-25-2012, 11:07 AM
being "The Favorite" is not a subjective term. It means who is favored (odds wise, to win).

Novak Djokovic is the favorite, with Federer very close behind him.

How so? With the surface, h2h and recent meeting considered?

Gagsquet
07-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Murray.

Lucilla
07-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Federer should win here IMO.

The Fearhand
07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Nadal.

duarte_a
07-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Nadal.

This thread is about the 2012 Olympic Games in London not about the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. ;)

cardio
07-25-2012, 12:01 PM
It is very strange how one lucky run can change people`s mind . You guys need serious reality check.

Let`s take Federer performances in last months. After victory in IW he plays like crap in Miami and loses to Roddick.Then he takes long rest and starts clay season in Madrid. He doesnt like this blue shit either, but after Djoko & Nadull protest losses he realizes, he may steal another Masters and have a shot to #1 spot if he is lucky. He struggles against Raonic, even more vs Berdych.His health is not OK, I never saw him taking painkillers during match before . Berdych chokes , Fed wins.

Then Rome,he is anything but good there. Djoko beats him easily.Then Roland Garros. He barely survives Del Potro and goes down in SF again, without much of a fight .

Then grass, Halle.He plays like utter crap in final. Fedtards say : he gifted last title to his good friend Haas. I dont buy this shit. Even if you are making gifts,even if you tank, you can play at least decent final to satisfy audience, to give them a show.He knows how to play exhos . He played poorly because he could not play better that day.

Then Wimby. He is lucky again : Rosol kicks his worst nightmare Nadull out early ! That gives him hope, but he is on verge of losing vs Benny. Frenchman coming out of long injury break doesnt have fitness to close the match. Fed dodges the bullet again, his health is not OK, but now he has 2 easy matches in a row, his personal bitches Malisse and Youzhny .It gives him enough time to recover .

Semifinal vs Djokovic. Closed roof + Djoko has bad day in the office = Fed wins.

He is in final.Should be easy, it is vs Murka after all, hopeless guy in slam finals.But it isnt. Fed is worse player in first two sets, somehow manages to steal 2nd set though. Rain comes , they close the roof. Murray knows very well, this is end of it, he knows Fed indoor record.

This is description how Federer played last months.He had lot of tough matches and more luck than usual. Federer is still same player he was in RG, same he was in Halle .Noone didnt consider him Olympics fav back then, why should we do it now ? Of course he can win it. Give him Wimby draw again and someone like Murka or Ferrer in final under closed roof,...yes, he can win it.

But he is not Fed 2006 any more, he is more vulnerable on all surfaces, winning big titles in a row is exception now.

Fresh grass doesnt help him either. If anything, he is more vulnerable to big server or to red hot ballbasher on fresh grass. It is common mistake to believe that Fed is fast surface master, he is not.He lost to Ivo fucking Karlovic in Cinci, which is fastest hardcourt you can find ! He won all his Wimby titles on slow grass and it helped him a lot when he played against Roddick in finals.With 80ies fast grass or fresh 1st week grass, my guess : Duck would have won at least one of these finals.

Sophocles
07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Give him Wimby draw again and someone like Murka or Ferrer in final under closed roof,...yes, he can win it.

Erm, but that's kinda like the draw he'll probably get.

decrepitude
07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
I agree with all of cardio's post - AND it is best of 3, where he is also more vulnerable. I wouldn't be surprised if he won it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't, either.

Litotes
07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
This is description how Federer played last months.He had lot of tough matches and more luck than usual. Federer is still same player he was in RG, same he was in Halle .Noone didnt consider him Olympics fav back then, why should we do it now ? Of course he can win it. Give him Wimby draw again and someone like Murka or Ferrer in final under closed roof,...yes, he can win it.

Noone did or noone didn't?

If noone did, you can call me Noone. I had him as favourite all along. It's grass, after all.

Looner
07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't really care who's fave. I care who wins.

Corey Feldman
07-25-2012, 12:29 PM
If Fed is so obvious favourite, why do bookies have Novak at no1? They like losing money?Who knows

anyway the diff in odds between them is so miniscule it hardly makes a diff

Looner
07-25-2012, 12:30 PM

Maybe because Djokovic is the #1... oops. That can't be it as well ;).

The Fearhand
07-25-2012, 12:33 PM
This thread is about the 2012 Olympic Games in London not about the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. ;)

*Insert facepalm gif*

rwn
07-25-2012, 12:41 PM
It is very strange how one lucky run can change people`s mind . You guys need serious reality check.

Let`s take Federer performances in last months. After victory in IW he plays like crap in Miami and loses to Roddick.Then he takes long rest and starts clay season in Madrid. He doesnt like this blue shit either, but after Djoko & Nadull protest losses he realizes, he may steal another Masters and have a shot to #1 spot if he is lucky. He struggles against Raonic, even more vs Berdych.His health is not OK, I never saw him taking painkillers during match before . Berdych chokes , Fed wins.

Then Rome,he is anything but good there. Djoko beats him easily.Then Roland Garros. He barely survives Del Potro and goes down in SF again, without much of a fight .

Then grass, Halle.He plays like utter crap in final. Fedtards say : he gifted last title to his good friend Haas. I dont buy this shit. Even if you are making gifts,even if you tank, you can play at least decent final to satisfy audience, to give them a show.He knows how to play exhos . He played poorly because he could not play better that day.

Then Wimby. He is lucky again : Rosol kicks his worst nightmare Nadull out early ! That gives him hope, but he is on verge of losing vs Benny. Frenchman coming out of long injury break doesnt have fitness to close the match. Fed dodges the bullet again, his health is not OK, but now he has 2 easy matches in a row, his personal bitches Malisse and Youzhny .It gives him enough time to recover .

Semifinal vs Djokovic. Closed roof + Djoko has bad day in the office = Fed wins.

He is in final.Should be easy, it is vs Murka after all, hopeless guy in slam finals.But it isnt. Fed is worse player in first two sets, somehow manages to steal 2nd set though. Rain comes , they close the roof. Murray knows very well, this is end of it, he knows Fed indoor record.

But he is not Fed 2006 any more, he is more vulnerable on all surfaces, winning big titles in a row is exception now.

Fresh grass doesnt help him either. If anything, he is more vulnerable to big server or to red hot ballbasher on fresh grass. It is common mistake to believe that Fed is fast surface master, he is not.He lost to Ivo fucking Karlovic in Cinci, which is fastest hardcourt you can find ! He won all his Wimby titles on slow grass and it helped him a lot when he played against Roddick in finals.With 80ies fast grass or fresh 1st week grass, my guess : Duck would have won at least one of these finals.

It's just not fair.This Federer guy can't even play tennis and still he has won 8 titles since last years US Open.
Only because of his stinking luck :mad:

duarte_a
07-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Nadal.

*Insert facepalm gif*

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Weird_Science_Facepalm_01.gif

Johnbert
07-25-2012, 12:48 PM

all luck this federer :mad:

manadrainer
07-25-2012, 12:54 PM

He might have had luck in some matches, but you don't become #1 only because you are lucky. What about Djokovic? wasn't he lucky to escape defeat when facing MPs against him at USO last year? Shot on the line and clipped netcord? Come on... luck is needed to win, but it's not everything.

duarte_a
07-25-2012, 01:03 PM
He might have had luck in some matches, but you don't become #1 only because you are lucky. What about Djokovic? wasn't he lucky to escape defeat when facing MPs against him at USO last year? Shot on the line and clipped netcord? Come on... luck is needed to win, but it's not everything.

don't forget the main point. If it is Roger saving MP's and winning from 2 sets down it is luck. However if it is nadal or djokovic it's because they're spartan warriors and mental giants.

Of course djokovic was also lucky to win against tsonga saved 4 MP's (I think), also saved 2 MP's against Roger at last year's USO. Came from 2 sets to 1 down at the AO semis. Was down a break in the 5th set in the AO finals.

And also djokovic won 1 slam and 1 masters 1000. Roger won 1 slam, 2 masters 1000 and 2 500's. But it was all due to luck.

Lucky bastard this Roger Federer. :rolleyes:

bounccer
07-25-2012, 01:33 PM
It's a toss up, but the best of 3 format and the 16 seeds make this tournament very unpredictable.

Everybody can lose to Roddick, Kohly, Nalbandian or Raonic in the first round.

It's not the same to have Tsonga/Murray or Tipsa/Ferrer on his road, this is really open, Isner, Tsonga, Roddick; Kohly, Berdych, Potro, Ferrer, Gasquet, all of them have a decent chance to win it.

Beside that, i think Djokovic will be the most motivated here, he's serb and very very nationalist, Federer has already a gold medal and doesn't give a shit to be swiss, papou or ouzbek, if i had to bet, i would put my money on Djokovic, then Murray, then Federer, but without any conviction.

tripwires
07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Roger is very arrogant and he'd want to win one of the few prizes that he hasn't already won to add to his personal glory. Therefore, I think he'd be highly motivated as well. I know how arrogant people operate; I am one of them. :hearts:

duong
07-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Luck has indeed been very important in Fed's Wimbledon win and some other of his wins this year,

but what I keep on not understanding is that Djokofans don't realize how lucky many of Djoko's runs in slams have been since the US Open 2010. All of his slam wins have implied luck since then except the AO 2011, and he has been far from being a "king above the field" in all of those slams. It always depended on a very few things, and there was nothing scientific about those.

I admire Djokovic a lot, but it seems that many Djokofans have just taken all of those visions of what could very nearly have happened far from their minds. Those things just haven't existed in their mind.

Personally as I have already said, this year there's no such thing as "the best player in the world" : the top-3 are very very near from each other and a very few points and for sure luck will probably make the difference.

Luck is very important in tennis competitions at this level (and I like that Fed mentions it in his interviews very often, either winning or losing). And it will be even more important in those Olympics than in any other tournament for several reasons which have already been said.

Pidzoja
07-25-2012, 03:30 PM
The olympics will bring those fedtards down to earth. Can't wait.

duong
07-25-2012, 03:43 PM

I think some Djokotards will also go down to Earth as I think both of Fed and Djokovic will go out before the final.

Fedtards should probably go back down to Earth although it's understandable that they live in delight now, but I think some Djokotards haven't fully realized either that their player is no more the one from 2011 and even the one from 2011 needed luck to win.

I think Fedtards have less problems to admit luck in general than Djokotards.

hipolymer
07-25-2012, 04:11 PM

It's the Olympics. Who gives a shit?

IOFH
07-25-2012, 04:19 PM

Of course, as a matter of fact none of the reigning champs in the slams have earned them, they've all been won because of luck.

AO: Djokovic incredibly lucky that Nadal can't put a BH into the open court and then chokes the break away

RG: Nadal very lucky they decide to delay the match into Monday when Djokovic had no problems handling the conditions and was beating him all over the place

Wimby: Like you said

USO: Djokovic absurdly lucky that his "couldn't give a shit"-FH hits the line and Federer proceeds to choke bc of it

As we can see, it's more about luck than skill with these overrated losers.

tennizen
07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
I think some Djokotards will also go down to Earth as I think both of Fed and Djokovic will go out before the final.

Fedtards should probably go back down to Earth although it's understandable that they live in delight now, but I think some Djokotards haven't fully realized either that their player is no more the one from 2011 and even the one from 2011 needed luck to win.

I think Fedtards have less problems to admit luck in general than Djokotards.

Federer won a slam after two and a half years. Djokovic is a much younger player who is probably in the best phase of his career/performances. It is pointless to talk about luck but to say that Federer got lucky at Wimbledon is far more reasonable than saying the same about Djokovic who was just before Wimbledon going for his 4th slam in a row.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
07-25-2012, 04:30 PM
murray should be in the options

duong
07-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Federer won a slam after two and a half years. Djokovic is a much younger player who is probably in the best phase of his career/performances. It is pointless to talk about luck but to say that Federer got lucky at Wimbledon is far more reasonable than saying the same about Djokovic who was just before Wimbledon going for his 4th slam in a row.

your opinion that "it's pointless talking about luck".
My opinion is that luck plays a huge role in tennis at this level, and there was a lot of luck in all of these events (except AO 2011 ... and still Nadalfans would probably say differently) which could all have been very different (PS : I don't contest that Djokovic was by far the number 1 in 2011, that didn't depend on luck)

And the Olympics are likely to be even more about luck than other tournaments.

xargon
07-25-2012, 07:21 PM
murray should be in the options

yeah but he had a chance on grass a couple of weeks ago with Nadal out and homeboy advantage against old Fed.

Johnbert
07-25-2012, 07:22 PM
yeah but he had a chance on grass a couple of weeks ago with Nadal out and homeboy advantage against old Fed.

new tournament, new chance :)

Corey Feldman
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
It's the Olympics. Who gives a shit?Exactamundo, you know Fed already won the big one dont you big boy

HKz
07-25-2012, 07:38 PM
More things favor Federer than Djokovic here. Grass should be worn out less, it will be best of 3 which Federer has been excellent with since the US Open last year, and Federer's confidence must be soaring. I'm sure both would love gold, so motivation factor here is not a problem. Djokovic certainly could take it, no question about that, however, if the two meet, the odds should favor Federer. I mean really, the only positive that Djokovic has on his side, is that he is at his peak, so technically he should be able to play at a more consistent high level than Federer, who does still get in these sort of dull moments with his game. If Federer's serve is on though, match will be over very quickly since it is best of 3.

Han Solo
07-25-2012, 07:43 PM
More things favor Federer than Djokovic here. Grass should be worn out less, it will be best of 3 which Federer has been excellent with since the US Open last year, and Federer's confidence must be soaring. I'm sure both would love gold, so motivation factor here is not a problem. Djokovic certainly could take it, no question about that, however, if the two meet, the odds should favor Federer. I mean really, the only positive that Djokovic has on his side, is that he is at his peak, so technically he should be able to play at a more consistent high level than Federer, who does still get in these sort of dull moments with his game. If Federer's serve is on though, match will be over very quickly since it is best of 3.

Agreed. And if Federer brings the net game he played against Murray at Wimbledon then it's over quickly x2.

Han Solo
07-25-2012, 07:45 PM

:wavey: You owned him there.

Looner
07-25-2012, 09:17 PM

He put so much effort into dispelling the notion of Fed deserving the Wimbledon final and you just went ahead and owned him :crying2:.

Allez
07-25-2012, 09:32 PM

Masterful jinxing :worship:. Weren't you the one crying wolf when I was supporting Mooza for Wimby :p

Murray to win gold in London and this no jinx...

ssj100
07-25-2012, 10:43 PM

If Federer plays like 2004-2007, then there is only one winner. If he plays like 2011, then Djokovic will win. Also it depends on who is more fresh. If Djokovic is fresher than Federer, then Djokovic will win. Also if Federer's back is still injured, then Djokovic will win.

Andy1402
07-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Definitely federer is the favorite..he has shown he still has what it takes to be king whereas grass is nole"s worst surface..

analysist
07-26-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm waiting for the draws to say who is the favorite.

Revan
07-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Apparently, from the ITF Olympic Tennis twitter account, the final will be a best-of 5 sets.

https://twitter.com/OlympicsTennis

http://i.imgur.com/UCi2i.png

Looner
07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
It was known ages ago :facepalm:.

duong
07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Apparently, from the ITF Olympic Tennis twitter account, the final will be a best-of 5 sets.

yes, and the question in this thread has been written "IF they meet in the final, who will win ?" which means that 2-setters are irrelevant for it,

although I rather think that a Fedovic final is unlikely because of those two-setters.

cardio
07-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Luck has indeed been very important in Fed's Wimbledon win and some other of his wins this year,

but what I keep on not understanding is that Djokofans don't realize how lucky many of Djoko's runs in slams have been since the US Open 2010. All of his slam wins have implied luck since then except the AO 2011, and he has been far from being a "king above the field" in all of those slams. It always depended on a very few things, and there was nothing scientific about those.

I admire Djokovic a lot, but it seems that many Djokofans have just taken all of those visions of what could very nearly have happened far from their minds. Those things just haven't existed in their mind.

Personally as I have already said, this year there's no such thing as "the best player in the world" : the top-3 are very very near from each other and a very few points and for sure luck will probably make the difference.

Luck is very important in tennis competitions at this level (and I like that Fed mentions it in his interviews very often, either winning or losing). And it will be even more important in those Olympics than in any other tournament for several reasons which have already been said.

BTW, I even dont like Djokovic, I cant stand his antics, time wasting and I find his baseline grinding style boring and unattractive. Fed - if he is on Jesus mode - is wayy more entertaining player.But how often we see Jesus Fed nowadays ? Very rarely.

But disliking Djoko generally has nothing to do with fact that Serb is just incredible athlete, can get everything back , he can run and defend and counterattack all day long and if he is on , there just isnt weaknesses in his game.It is very tough to beat him, if he finds his machine-like tennis. It is like playing chess against Rybka. Very frustrating even for grandmasters ...

gaitare
07-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Both Federer and Djokovic want it BADLY, Federer for himself, Djokovic for his country. Both these motivations are adorable.

Federer is obviously a better grasscourt player in a traditional sense and after Wimbledon has to be the slight favourite, but Djokovic is not far behind him in the favourite ranks, he was close at the French Open and the Olympics are his second big mission of the year, he should be very close again. If they meet in the final, I just can't see Djokovic playing as badly as the last time, Federer will have to be really good and I think he will be. I don't see Federer losing in the latter stages of the tournament (unless his back is really sore). And he definitely needs to remember this is not Wimbledon and he can't go to sleep for a couple of sets.

garad
07-26-2012, 10:08 AM
All class these Fedulls :rolleyes:

Yes, thankfully Lynette wouldnt utter such classless statement...Dijana Djokovic, on the other hand...

garad
07-26-2012, 10:14 AM

do you have to write essays to show us who are you a fan of? We would know that even without this bullshit. So to sum it up. Fed has played like crap and still won 2 masters, 1 slam and 5 tourneys this year... bodes well for the future then...

Revan
07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
It was known ages ago :facepalm:.

That was helpful. I looked around the forum and didn't see it. Take your all-knowing arrogance elsewhere.

Looner
07-26-2012, 10:19 AM
That was helpful. I looked around the forum and didn't see it. Take your all-knowing arrogance elsewhere.

Well, there's an Olympics info thread and it has all that there. It's been discussed at length for ages in the favourite thread as well as the Berdych thread where people are talking about 5-set finals.

I say look harder next time.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=205933

duong
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Both Federer and Djokovic want it BADLY, Federer for himself, Djokovic for his country. Both these motivations are adorable.

both want it for them first, Djokovic is patriotic for sure but he's not that uninterested in himself :D as some posts seem to express in this thread

I still don't get this "the Olympics are mainly for your country" thing which seems to be quite a recent cliche :confused:

it's with your country and partly for it for sure but it's not more important than the individual :shrug:

duarte_a
07-26-2012, 10:31 AM

I found an official document from the ITF and posted it on another thread http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=206849&page=2 .

Here is the link for the file. http://2012.itftennis.com/media/112391/112391.pdf ;)

07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Definitely federer is the favorite

Bookmakers say Djokovic is the favorite http://www.oddschecker.com/olympics/tennis/mens-singles/winner

Definitely Djokovic is the favorite.

gaitare
07-26-2012, 10:45 AM
both want it for them first, Djokovic is patriotic for sure but he's not that uninterested in himself :D as some posts seem to express in this thread

I still don't get this "the Olympics are mainly for your country" thing which seems to be quite a recent cliche :confused:

it's with your country and partly for it for sure but it's not more important than the individual :shrug:

Djokovic is Serbian, this involves added layers of unconditional non-ironic love for your country inhabitants of select few countries can produce these days. Djokovic's "national hero" status is different to Federer's "national hero" status in Switzerland too.

"the Olmypics are mainly for your country" as a recent cliche - are we talking about Olympics in general or tennis at Olympics?

cardio
07-26-2012, 10:48 AM
do you have to write essays to show us who are you a fan of? We would know that even without this bullshit. So to sum it up. Fed has played like crap and still won 2 masters, 1 slam and 5 tourneys this year... bodes well for the future then...

I´m not of fan of Djoko. BTW fan is short from "fanatic" which means "crazy person", "obsessed". I try to be objective and reasonable, not crazy and delusional.

If you chose to be latter, it is your problem ...

gaitare
07-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Djokovic is Serbian, this involves added layers of unconditional non-ironic love for your country inhabitants of select few countries can produce these days. Djokovic's "national hero" status is different to Federer's "national hero" status in Switzerland too.

"the Olmypics are mainly for your country" as a recent cliche - are we talking about Olympics in general or tennis at Olympics?

What I mean by this is that as much as Federer is loved in his country, he transcended it, he's "international", an icon, the world's property now.

Djokovic is still much more "country-bound", and that is a country with a rich recent history, Djokovic represents Serbia all over the world and he sort of carries loads of national pride on his shoulders. He simply HAS TO do it at this tournament not only for himself, but much more for the people of Serbia.

Sophocles
07-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Otherwise Sebastian Coe would have been delighted when Steve Ovett beat him in the 800 metres.

duong
07-26-2012, 11:14 AM

I don't know, what I read recently, and I read especially a tennis forum :lol:

Besides, I agree with you about different national contexts for Djokovic and Fed but I think Djokovic also wants it for him ;)

gaitare
07-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't know, what I read recently, and I read especially a tennis forum :lol:

Besides, I agree with you about different national contexts for Djokovic and Fed but I think Djokovic also wants it for him ;)

I won't be denying that he wants it for himself too, of course he does and I exaggerated it a bit in my first post in this thread, but that "winning it for Serbia" factor is huge.

TigerTim
07-26-2012, 11:51 AM
federer to win i think ;)

bounccer
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Clearly Fed now

07-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Clearly Fed now

Clearly Djokovic now.

TigerTim
07-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Clearly Djokovic.

bookmakers are dumb, no one makes books anymore anyways, its all with those Kindle thingys

duarte_a
07-26-2012, 12:40 PM
bookmakers are dumb, no one makes books anymore anyways, its all with those Kindle thingys

:haha:

Corey Feldman
07-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Nole the fave now after Fed drew Falla/Benne in first 2 rounds

i said he was the fave all along tbh

duong
07-26-2012, 12:44 PM

Clearly Djokovic now.

they probably haven't taken the draw into account yet ;)

cardio
07-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Bookmakers are all about market, public opinion. But for me what is strange that Fed very easy draw is not changed the odds yet on market. Maybe it takes some time, maybe people doesnt know draw yet ? Fed virtually has Bye until final,Joker , Tsonga and Murray have one helluva draw, by common sense Fed has to be favorite now..?

finishingmove
07-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Federer is definitely the heavy favourite now.

It would be unimaginable for him to lose here.

Looner
07-26-2012, 01:45 PM

So you're saying he'll own Djokovic again. Finally some common sense from you :).

barbadosan
07-26-2012, 01:46 PM

:D Worth reading the thread for this gem

Roy Emerson
07-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Exactly.

07-28-2012, 11:16 AM

This is probably the most stupid comment ever seen on internet forums.

Litotes
07-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Clearly Djokovic now.

Since you posted this, they have changed their minds. Check out your own link now.

Allez
07-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Recently saw an interview with Nole talking about the difference between playing for oneself vs playing for ones country. According to him there is no greater source of motivation than playing for Serbia and everyone knows the tennis monster that was unleashed at the 2010 DC final. That marked the birth of Nole 2.0. Looks like London 2012 will birth into the tennis world Nole 2.5. Scary stuff :eek:

Litotes
07-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Recently saw an interview with Nole talking about the difference between playing for oneself vs playing for ones country. According to him there is no greater source of motivation than playing for Serbia and everyone knows the tennis monster that was unleashed at the 2010 DC final. That marked the birth of Nole 2.0. Looks like London 2012 will birth into the tennis world Nole 2.5. Scary stuff :eek:

You are obviously not a computer geek....the alternatives would be Nole 2.1 or Nole 3.0.

But I fear the new version is not completely debugged yet, so the old version might prove more reliable still.

TheShowMustGoOn
07-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Federer takes gold easily.

EliSter
07-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Indeed Olderer is lock for this. I cant see any other way.

Allez
07-28-2012, 02:23 PM
You are obviously not a computer geek....the alternatives would be Nole 2.1 or Nole 3.0.

But I fear the new version is not completely debugged yet, so the old version might prove more reliable still.

Actually I was very deliberate about choosing this version. By the time the final comes around he will have gone through the following incarnations
:wavey:

cardio
07-28-2012, 02:47 PM
So you're saying he'll own Djokovic again. Finally some common sense from you :).

Actually, it is common sense. Anyone with few working brain cells can understand that Olympic is quite long tournament. If one of favs has easy draw like Fed, he basically has 5 "not so tough matches" before final. Bottom half finalist on the other hand has to deal with Roddick ( who is in form again),Tsonga, Murray - it means more chances to fail, more chances to very tough 3-setters.

And BTW, when was the time Fed owned Djokovic ?

Was it when he lost in straights to him in AO 2008?

Or when he lost USO 2010 SF having matchpoints ?

Or when he went 1-4 last year ? Or is it 2012 when Fed has still losing record 1- 2 vs him ?:D

I know Djoko is annoying ,chest pumping, shirt ripping, ball bouncing machine-like grinder,but Fed doesnt own him, not since Canada 2007.

bobbynorwich
07-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Even Dfaker thinks that Fed is the favorite, stated at pre-tournament presser. In terms of fan support, it's hands down Federer --- remember the massively lopsided support for Fed when he played the Djoker at Wimbledon? The Serb rarely plays well when the fans overwhelmingly root against him.

:sport:

Looner
07-28-2012, 07:56 PM
I know Djoko is annoying ,chest pumping, shirt ripping, ball bouncing machine-like grinder,but Fed doesnt own him, not since Canada 2007.

I am sorry if you missed Wimbledon 2012. Roger owned Djoko there :). Go and watch it - it was amazing.

Fedex
07-28-2012, 08:01 PM

Cool. I can play this game too. If Federer plays like 2006, he'll beat Djokovic 2 and 1.

finishingmove
07-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Federer will win. Assuming Djokovic doesn't go out before the final.

In that case Federer will beat someone else for the title.

Honestly
07-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Cool. I can play this game too. If Federer plays like 2006, he'll beat Djokovic 2 and 1.

If Djokovic plays like 2011 he will still get beat probably anyway. Fed 2006 would utterly destroy him if he was in 2011 mode.

Litotes
07-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Actually I was very deliberate about choosing this version. By the time the final comes around he will have gone through the following incarnations
:wavey:

I see! My apologies. You are thinking each version will get a rather short shelf-life, but that's modern computing for you.

rutinos harcos
07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Djoko is a better player and naturally he is a massive favourite.

Honestly
07-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Hopefully Djoke at least does his part and makes the final so that the GOAT can school that clown once more.

Litotes
07-28-2012, 10:07 PM

Of course he is. After all, he has won a title on the surface, and it was as recent as last year. Plus, he has only ever lost once on it to his higher-ranked opponent with 12 grass titles. Throw in the added bonus of a more challenging draw and the conclusion is clear.

buzz
07-28-2012, 11:46 PM

Its best of five final.

besides 2006 Federer was amazing, but tactically the game at the very top has changed a little over the years. If you move Federer out of 2006 directly against Djokovic 2011 without letting him adjust to the new game I'am afraid he will lose.

Looner
07-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Its best of five final.

besides 2006 Federer was amazing, but tactically the game at the very top has changed a little over the years. If you move Federer out of 2006 directly against Djokovic 2011 without letting him adjust to the new game I'am afraid he will lose.

I'm afraid you're wrong. Very wrong.

Fedex
07-29-2012, 01:45 AM
Its best of five final.

lmfao

2006 Fed would wreck Djokovic at Wimbledon, decisively beat him at USO and RG. The only place Djokovic would have a good chance of winning would be AO.

venky91
07-29-2012, 01:54 AM
lmfao

2006 Fed would wreck Djokovic at Wimbledon, decisively beat him at USO and RG. The only place Djokovic would have a good chance of winning would be AO.

And even then I'd give the edge to the 4 time AO champion.

Johnbert
07-29-2012, 02:07 AM

ah, well, if it ends like at wimbledon this year, it's ok that djokovic is the massive favourite :cool:

Honestly
07-29-2012, 02:37 AM
All luck if Djoke makes the final. Would love for that to happen though. Rog can use another win over him.

Chirag
07-29-2012, 04:09 AM
Djokovic since the final will be on clay and we know how that went this year :rolleyes:

Andy1402
07-29-2012, 05:48 AM
All luck if Djoke makes the final. Would love for that to happen though. Rog can use another win over him.

Definitely. It would put to rest any misconceptions about who is the superior player on grass ( on any surface really) once and for all.
Djokovic has fallen quite a bit from his 2011 level and his current level might not be enough to even beat murray, let alone the king of grass.

Honestly
07-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Definitely. It would put to rest any misconceptions about who is the superior player on grass ( on any surface really) once and for all.
Djokovic has fallen quite a bit from his 2011 level and his current level might not be enough to even beat murray, let alone the king of grass.

:worship:

xargon
07-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Too bad the ladies don't have best of five finals.

buzz
07-29-2012, 08:26 AM
lmfao

He would certainly have the technical ability to do it. But executing against a new type of play is something different. In 2006 Federer had never played someone like a Djokovic 2011, and Djokovic 2011 knows weak parts of a 2006 Federer game.

You are stating it as a certainty, but who knows. If Nadal was younger and started dominating clay in 2009 in stead of 2005. Federer would have dominated clay for years and then you would probably say 2006 federer would wreck 2010 Nadal on clay he is a little old now.

And yes Fed2006:worship: is more impressive than Nole2011

HKz
07-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Didn't realize the final was best of 5. Should they meet, I still stand that Federer certainly has more of an advantage than Djokovic does, but best of 5 does make things a little interesting.. We all know in best of 3 set matches with Federer has become very tough as of late all because of his serve. I mean once he has any type of lead, it really feels like he runs away with the match. However, we will see as both could easily get knocked out early.

hipolymer
07-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Djokovic since the final will be on clay and we know how that went this year :rolleyes:

If the final will be on clay after one week of play, then how come the semis of Wimbledon didn't end up with a Djoker win?

compileandrun
07-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Don't underestimate Djokovic. He still has the potential and showed how he can beat Federer on hard and clay courts. I am still curious how the semi final would turn out to be if it had been played open air. Don't underestimate Murray either. He is still evolving I believe.
Even though Lendl annoys me with his never changing view and charismatic looks, he might have an impact on MUrray. I read some of his interviews, he is a very straight and rigorous guy, who knows the game. I hope they have a healthy bond and they sort things out after the Wimbledon final.

For my detailed review you are welcomed to visit:

http://everythingabouttennisworld.blogspot.com/2012/07/olympic-prospects-of-men.html

Looner
08-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Guess bookies were right. Let's see if Fedmaster can bring it home.

Sunset of Age
08-04-2012, 04:13 AM
Another massive case of "don't count your chickens until they hatch"

And a tasty case it is, indeed.