Los Angeles R1: Ram def. Baker 7-6 (3), 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Los Angeles R1: Ram def. Baker 7-6 (3), 7-5

tennisfan856
07-24-2012, 07:12 AM
baker was sloppy and weak. The fact that rampras out-rallied him from the baseline just shows how weak is on the hard court season so far. It's time to panic imo, it's hard to get confidence when you are losing to out-of-form challenger players and you really aren't playing well at all.

good opportunity for rajeev to get some points here. I'm expecting a poor finish to baker's season.

BroTree123
07-24-2012, 07:15 AM
:stupid: :o :facepalm:

Chase Visa
07-24-2012, 07:15 AM
If Rampras can outrally Baker..... :o

Back to Challengers?

evilmindbulgaria
07-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Baker completely out of form. Fatigue finally catching up to him?

Absolute Anthropoid
07-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Baker was playing like a mug on fire this match, just mindless. :lol:

Good work Rampras.

tennisfan856
07-24-2012, 07:17 AM
I will give rajeev credit that apart from some patches in this match, he was consistent and had a deadlier server than baker.

Brian's backhand has become really, really bad. I wouldn't say sock, johnson level, but it's almost a freebie for a competent opponent. I'll credit Rampras with acknowledging he is stronger than Brian and just taking it away from him.

CooCooCachoo
07-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Great win Rajeev :worship:

Baker was pretty terrible in the first round of Wimbledon qualies as well, even though he had been practising on grass for a week. I think he might need just needs to play more matches.

emotion
07-24-2012, 07:57 AM
jesus, guess we know his worst surface now

viruzzz
07-24-2012, 08:01 AM
So.......
Only natural surfaces?

Mountaindewslave
07-24-2012, 08:16 AM
it's understandable possibly to not be quite into his groove yet, but losing to Ram is certainly worrisome...... hopefully Baker really puts in the long yards and makes sure his body is ready for hard. hopefully he can take the wear and tear. :cool:

n8
07-24-2012, 08:52 AM
I really like Ram so I'm glad he got the win. I'm finding it difficult not getting excited over his draw to the semi-finals.

JamieMU30
07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I said it weeks ago....Fluke run, end of story...Who loses to Ram on any surface? :stupid: No Top 80 player would have lost this match...Baker will descend into irrrlevancy once again and this time next year will be back in the 300's :haha:

tommyg6
07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
why is Ram called Rampras?

Dead Net Cord
07-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Baker will rise.

Zambanas
07-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Ram's service motion looks very similar to Sampras' service motion. :)

samanosuke
07-24-2012, 01:21 PM
this should be strong enough reason for Baker's second retirement

Hypnotize
07-24-2012, 01:36 PM
I said it weeks ago....Fluke run, end of story...Who loses to Ram on any surface? :stupid: No Top 80 player would have lost this match...Baker will descend into irrrlevancy once again and this time next year will be back in the 300's :haha:
That may possibly happen by why would you take pleasure in it? :confused:

I'm no Baker fan but I still admire the way he has come back from such an extended injury to build a second career for himself. I may not find him exciting to watch but I'm not sitting here hoping his ranking drops like a stone next year.

tuek
07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Agree, Ram is a good player who is underrated here. He has had some great results in last couple weeks, which is nice to see.

Disappointing loss for Baker, especially since potential second round nemesis Kunitsyn was already beaten. Baker seems prone to losing if given a wc entry - that makes it three straight times this has happened. Maybe he should stick to coming through qualies where he excels, and let Young waste the WCs.

trojanstallion
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM

Ram has 5 Top 100 wins this season, and a Top 20 win a few weeks ago in Newport.
Soooo.... :wavey:

Jovard
07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
And this stupid Baker was supposed to be good? :haha:

Just another mug who fluked a few wins and MTF got an orgasm.

outrider
07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
And this stupid Baker was supposed to be good? :haha:

Just another mug who fluked a few wins and MTF got an orgasm.
Go away and watch this ugly Tomic kid who will never be a Top 20 player.

Freak3yman84
07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Bye all of my vCash :wavey:

tommyg6
07-24-2012, 04:22 PM
We should a MTF player awards thread at the end of the season and Baker will be one of the candidates for 2 categories, best mug or best comeback player

Freak3yman84
07-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Agree, Ram is a good player who is underrated here. He has had some great results in last couple weeks, which is nice to see.

Disappointing loss for Baker, especially since potential second round nemesis Kunitsyn was already beaten. Baker seems prone to losing if given a wc entry - that makes it three straight times this has happened. Maybe he should stick to coming through qualies where he excels, and let Young waste the WCs.

Very true. His most notable results are final at Nice, R4 at Wimby, Win at the Savannah Challenger(which gave him WC to the French). All of which he had to qualify for :eek: Your on to something ;)

Dead Net Cord
07-26-2012, 10:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B6uprioN1M&feature=g-all-u

Snowwy
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Baker never did well on hardcourts, I am not sure why this is a surprise to anyone.

JamieMU30
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
That may possibly happen by why would you take pleasure in it? :confused:

I'm no Baker fan but I still admire the way he has come back from such an extended injury to build a second career for himself. I may not find him exciting to watch but I'm not sitting here hoping his ranking drops like a stone next year.

Again, quit putting words in my mouth...At what point did I say I hoped his ranking would drop and that I would take pleasure in it? Never was said...Please learn how to read...I was pointing out that I THOUGHT his ranking would drop based on these losses...I never said I HOPED it would drop...And my laughter icon simply means I am laughing at all the ludicrous notions people had about Baker being the next big thing...It is pure comedy because he had a couple deep runs at a few tournaments/ grand slams, whatever...That doesn't mean I am taking PLEASURE in anything...The reality of the situation is quite humorous and ironic

Lopez
07-26-2012, 01:46 PM

His entire game is very similar, at least in how the strokes look. Serve, forehand, backhand...

I made a thread about it once: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=157884

motorhead
07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Baker never did well on hardcourts, I am not sure why this is a surprise to anyone.

what are u talking about....

HoorayBeer
07-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Can't believe Rampras let that mug take him to a tiebreak. I am starting to think he won't win this tournament now.