Los Angeles R1: Cipolla def. Sock 6-3, 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Los Angeles R1: Cipolla def. Sock 6-3, 6-1

tennisfan856
07-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Cipolla carved him up, sliced and diced the hot-tempered american. Jack was awful, not mentally and physically tough enough to handle a crafty player like Flavio. Hopefully, this is a great dose of humble pie for Jack that he has a long way to go in becoming an ATP pro. The mentality is awful, the backhand is recreational, the first serve disappears for way too long, and the decision-making is mediocre.

Less wild-cards, more challengers. Congrats to the crafty Italian who probably had a good laugh at how easy this was.

Smoke944
07-24-2012, 04:14 AM
Joakim Nystrom is now reconsidering because he's not a miracle worker.

But seriously, classic lesson in how to play tennis not just hit balls. Also it didn't help that Jack was serving like Cipolla.

Javier Bardem
07-24-2012, 04:15 AM
Wow Cipolla really anticipates so well, he tracks down so many balls on hard courts. Like you said he really attacked that backhand often and when Sock's serve wasn't on fire he was in huge trouble. Great play by Cipolla overall, went to the backhand a lot to open up the court and then finished off to the open court, but i loved how he just drew Sock in over and over with the short slice. It's so tough to play Cipolla in cat and mouse tennis

orangehat
07-24-2012, 04:17 AM
Flavio :bounce:

BroTree123
07-24-2012, 04:17 AM
Sock got Santoro'ed.

Javier Bardem
07-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Sock got Santoro'ed.

Lol I was thinking that, Cipolla won so many obscure points

out_here_grindin
07-24-2012, 04:52 AM
I expected this to happen. Bad macthup for Sock, will likely never matchup well vs this type of player.

CooCooCachoo
07-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Cipo :woohoo:

A much needed win, and with this scoreline against a cocky and ball-bashing American :hearts:

Hypnotize
07-24-2012, 06:56 AM
I saw some of Sock's match against Johnson and they were both awful. When the draw came out, I wondered how he would fare against a player like Cipolla who makes you rally and I guess I have my answer now.

Harrison has his faults but he's a far better player than Sock.

CooCooCachoo
07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
I saw some of Sock's match against Johnson and they were both awful. When the draw came out, I wondered how he would fare against a player like Cipolla who makes you rally and I guess I have my answer now.

Harrison has his faults but he's a far better player than Sock.

The thing is that someone like Sock has the game to prevent rallies from happening: if he served and returned really well (Cipo's serve can definitely be obliterated), he could have won.

Harrison and Sock are not at all comparable in terms of game.