Most overrated shot (of the top players) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most overrated shot (of the top players)

Slice Winner
07-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Apologies if this thread exists already, but I searched and couldn't find it.

Thread is self-explanatory. E.g., you think Federer's FH is overrated, or Nole's return, Isner's serve, or Murray's ability to insult his box.

I think Gasquet's BH is probably a little bit overrated. He has to stand 15 metres behind the baseline to use it, so he doesn't win matches with it.

SVK
07-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Federerīs between the legs shot honestly. People are talking about it like he invented it. Itīs actually very, letīs say, good looking but still...players used it before and even on GS matches, but they werenīt multiple GS winners so people didnīt talk about it that much...I donīt mean on this forum btw.

Freak3yman84
I think people overrate Isner's forehand tbh. People say it's really good, but to me it's pretty average.

TBkeeper
Federerīs between the legs shot honestly. People are talking about it like he invited it. Itīs actually very, letīs say, good looking but still...players used it before and even on GS matches, but they werenīt multiple GS winners so people didnīt talk about it that much...I donīt mean on this forum btw.

Yea ... he INVITED THE SHOT :D:D:D:D

SVK
07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
LOLOLOLOL sorry, my english.......

EDIT: Fixed.

Gagsquet
07-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Apologies if this thread exists already, but I searched and couldn't find it.

Thread is self-explanatory. E.g., you think Federer's FH is overrated, or Nole's return, Isner's serve, or Murray's ability to insult his box.

I think Gasquet's BH is probably a little bit overrated. He has to stand 15 metres behind the baseline to use it, so he doesn't win matches with it.

You fail at logic. If he stands 15 meters behind the baseline but the shot is still really efficient then it's a wondershot.

Slice Winner
07-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Federerīs between the legs shot honestly. People are talking about it like he invented it. Itīs actually very, letīs say, good looking but still...players used it before and even on GS matches, but they werenīt multiple GS winners so people didnīt talk about it that much...I donīt mean on this forum btw.

I agree, although hitting one for a clean winner to set up match point vs Djokovic was special.

Looner
07-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I for one think Nadal's volleys are VASTLY overrated except his drop volleys probably.

I am not sure what else of the top players is overrated. Maybe Murray's serve. When it's on, it's really good but tbh it's very seldom on.

Some suggestions in the OP might be a good idea.

emotion
07-23-2012, 10:51 PM
isner's forehand

Freak3yman84
07-23-2012, 10:54 PM
isner's forehand

:yeah:

Przemek
07-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Nadal's stamina
Del Potro's FH
Isner's FH
Some perhaps controversial, but it's only my opinion. List of underrated shots is much longer.

samanosuke
07-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Full package of Monaco. on and off court

Freak3yman84
07-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Nadal's stamina
Del Potro's FH
Isner's FH
Some perhaps controversial, but it's only my opinion. List of underrated shots is much longer.

Not really a shot, but OK! If we're going to talk about attributes, then Ferrer's "fighting" ability. I used to believe Ferrer was a big fighter, then I saw the 2nd set vs. Nadal in Rome :lol:

Mark Lenders
07-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Ferrer's fighting ability/mentality.

Federer's serve

Gasquet's backhand

Berdych's forehand

Isner's forehand

Murray's backhand

liutian_min
07-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Ferrer's mentality is definitely one. He easily loses his temper and makes a lot of UEs.
I also agree with the Gasquet's backhand. It looks fluid but not that effective.
I think Safin's backhand is a bit overrated. His backhand is too flat without too much margin for errors.

BackhandDTL
07-24-2012, 12:02 AM

Gasquet's backhand isn't the shot that pushes him back, it's his mechanical, large-looping forehand that goes well above his head before ever locking in to hit the ball. On the contrary, he actually seems to relish the aggressive approach on his BH.

Ramsay
07-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Ferrer's fighting ability/mentality.

Federer's serve

Gasquet's backhand

Berdych's forehand

Isner's forehand

Murray's backhand

Why?

Sorry but, how many months do you see Gasquet playing? That's the actual Gasquet, without confidence. The younger Gasquet did what he wants with his bh.

mXMt0P9BDbQ

See that video, specially the match against Roddick.

evilmindbulgaria
07-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Nadal's stamina
Del Potro's FH
Isner's FH

:superlol: That's what happens when you are blinded by hate :wavey:

Federer's volley is the most overrated shot of all time!

BroTree123
07-24-2012, 12:36 AM

Slightly hypocritical, but I'll take that :lol:

Everko
07-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Federer's backhand. It breaks like a soft twig under pressure.

BroTree123
07-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Hell, Federer in general is overrated.

TheShowMustGoOn
07-24-2012, 12:38 AM
I for one think Nadal's volleys are VASTLY overrated except his drop volleys probably. What do you mean? He's pretty comfortable with them and doesn't often make mistakes, when he goes to the net he generally puts the volleys away and makes it look easy. :confused:

Edda
07-24-2012, 12:44 AM
The big serve (Roddick, Raonic, Karlovic, etc.) Most of the players who have a big serve have very little else. At times, the high mileage serve winds up being a giant error.

Przemek
07-24-2012, 12:48 AM

I'm not saying his stamina is bad, it is superb but still overrated. Check SF USO 2008, F IW and F Miami 2011, F Tokyo 2011, F USO 2011, F RG 2012. In all those matches he was struggling physically and his opponents showed better endurance. He is just getting more human with age. :shrug:

evilmindbulgaria
07-24-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm not saying his stamina is bad, it is superb but still overrated. Check SF USO 2008, F IW and F Miami 2011, F Tokyo 2011, F USO 2011, F RG 2012. In all those matches he was struggling physically and his opponents showed better endurance. He is just getting more human with age. :shrug:

My point is that stamina is not a shot :wavey:

BackhandDTL
07-24-2012, 01:03 AM
The big serve (Roddick, Raonic, Karlovic, etc.) Most of the players who have a big serve have very little else. At times, the high mileage serve winds up being a giant error.

You're kind of digging yourself into a logical hole here. You're listing the big serve of various players as an overrated shot, and then claiming that these same players have very little else to offer. You're essentially saying they win tennis matches with scraps, which is an especially questionable claim sgainst someone as accomplished and proven as Roddick...

Also, I'm not sure anyone overrates Karlovic's serve. Most people know what he brings to the table, and the most you'll *usually* hear about him is, "He can be tricky", or "Guys don't want his name in the draw", or "He can force a tiebreak". I really don't see any of that as out of line.

I agree with those who have mentioned Nadal's volleying. That's not to say it isn't respectable, but it's not what people make out to be, and I'd take it a step further by saying he doesn't do it enough to consider it a real factor.

HKz
07-24-2012, 01:04 AM

My point is that stamina is not a shot :wavey:

What does your original post claim you were trying to point out stamina is not a shot? Either way, it is a legitimate thing to point out. Rafa has several times bent over to catch his breath. Stamina still certainly one of the best, but there are players out there who show less signs of fatigue during matches.

Tsonga's forehand pretty overrated IMO. I thought he used to hit quite powerfully, but after he made the switch to Babolat from Wilson, I thought his forehand lost a little bit kind of like when Novak switched to Head from Wilson, it seemed a lost a little bit of pace off everything. Both might be coincidental or even not the case, but it certainly appeared both lost some bite in their shots after leaving Wilson.

abraxas21
07-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Full package of Monaco. on and off court

nadal disagrees.

Arkulari
07-24-2012, 03:59 AM
Federer's backhand. It breaks like a soft twig under pressure.

Learn to read, OP is asking about a shot that is actually overrated. We all know Roger's BH is the weakest part of his game, it has never been overrated. :rolleyes:

And for his volleys, well name someone in the top 20 who has better volleys than Roger :D ;)

MqExjxCJr4Q

78% of volleys won in a GS final.

Isner's Forehand
Murray's Backhand (is his best shot but isn't nowhere in the league of Djokovic or Safin)

BroTree123
07-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Learn to read, OP is asking about a shot that is actually overrated. We all know Roger's BH is the weakest part of his game, it has never been overrated. :rolleyes:

And for his volleys, well name me someone in the top 20 who has better volleys than Roger :D :rolleyes:

Isner's Forehand
Murray's Backhand (is his best shot but isn't nowhere in the league of Djokovic or Safin)

Another hate thread turned to shit Nat. What can we do :stupid: :rolleyes:

Arkulari
07-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Well Chuck, that happens when people drink Haterade before login into MTF ;)

Slice Winner
07-24-2012, 06:42 AM
I for one think Nadal's volleys are VASTLY overrated except his drop volleys probably.

I am not sure what else of the top players is overrated. Maybe Murray's serve. When it's on, it's really good but tbh it's very seldom on.

Some suggestions in the OP might be a good idea.

Based on the responses, seems like I didn't need to add anymore suggestions to the OP ;)

TBkeeper
07-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Federer - I don't know really
Djokovic - Return (vastly overrated)
Nadal - Ability to play well not only on clay (he is CLAY goat yea but .... he stinks on other surfaces / supposed to stink)
Murray - Return (less vastly overrated)
Ferrer - Speed , Fighting , Mentality , Attacking game

Slice Winner
07-24-2012, 06:56 AM
If you listened to Mark Petchey commentate, then you'd have to say Djokovic's volleys are overrated.
But that's just Petchey reeling off his learnt-by-rote lines.
Djokovic hits one volley, and immediately, Petchey chimes in with: "...and that's one area of his game which he really has improved, hasn't he? The forecourt..." etc.

What about Nadal's forehand? [/stirring the pot]

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Tsonga's net play, his approach shot is as overrated as sex on the beach.

el tenista
07-24-2012, 09:03 AM

This. An average club player can do it. Of course the clean winner vs. Djokovic at this stage of the tournament and the match was special. But the shot itself is overrated. You don't need to be a genius to hit it.

RForever
07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
This. An average club player can do it. Of course the clean winner vs. Djokovic at this stage of the tournament and the match was special. But the shot itself is overrated. You don't need to be a genius to hit it.

Yeah, an average player can do it. That is why Benneteau hit his balls trying it.

Sent from my iPad using VS Free

TBkeeper
07-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah, an average player can do it. That is why Benneteau hit his balls trying it.

Sent from my iPad using VS Free

I don't have the courage to hit a tweener cause my balls are precious and i prefer to hit it when it is right next to me...

duong
07-24-2012, 09:25 AM

I would be inclined to agree with you but something which still amazes me is that Fed has won many points with that, whereas I see other players doing it and not only is it far less good-looking but ... they never win the point.

The first time I saw a point won like that for long by another player than Federer was in Wimbledon by Del Potro against Nishikori.

By the way, I saw one from Dimitrov last week in Gstaad and his movement was really the same as Federer's : that flip, you know :cool:

Something else : my former idol, Yannick Noah, was quite the same as Fed : he was not the only one to do that (although less players did it in that time) but was the best-looking (less than Fed's though) and also he usually won the point thanks to that.

Johnbert
07-24-2012, 09:32 AM
imo it wasn't the tweener himself which makes it famous, it was because he did this shot at a gs-semifinal against djokovic and he had 3 mp's after this.

Henry Chinaski
07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
agree with gasquet's backhand.

as a finishing shot it's absolutely spectacular, but his average cross court rallying shot isn't anything special.

look what happens when he comes up against a true GOAT contender backhand

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N301&oId=G628

even watching ferrer v gasquet at the australian open. ferrer easily held his own in the backhand to backhand rallies and most people would agree ferrer has one of the worst backhands in the top 20.

federer's net game is overrated too. it may be technically excellent but he just doesn't spend enough time up there and therefore makes too many stupid errors when he does.

GuiroNl
07-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Controversial one: Nadal's forehand.

duong
07-24-2012, 09:43 AM
It's always hard to speak of "overrated/underrated" because it depends in which one's eyes, and also I'm not enough of a technical expert, but I will try speaking only of top-top-players :

I think Fed's forehand is overrated comparing to Nadal's ... I mean now, because in the past his forehand was even better than Nadal's has ever been.

Yesterday, NYCtennisfan was speaking about how Fed's forehand had changed and showing some clips. He has made it change because of his movement declining on that side, and it's another one of Fed's great evolutions he has made in his game, but it's no longer an equivalent of Nadal's forehand. Fed's serve is also often overrated : especially during last Wimbledon, I read that he had defeated Djokovic and Murray thanks to his serve whereas he had the same number of unreturned serves as Djokovic and nearly half of Murray's unreturned serves. But it's also related to his back problems probably.

As for Nadal, I think his footwork and his serve are underrated but his backhand and return have been overrated in many articles I read. I remember the bullshit that his backhand was the best of the game because he was ambidextrous then had 2 forehands :lol: Nadal's mental is also great but overrated imo but that's like every myth : it goes too far.

As for Djokovic, I think his return is a little bit overrated at the moment. It's very good but it's not like Agassi's and Connors's quality shot in the past considering the context of their time. On the opposite, his mental is still underrated imo. His touch is also underrated imo.

Murray's backhand may be overrated as well, doesn't make many winners with that and is less good for the passing-shot than with his forehand, but his return is still underrated imo.

duong
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
even watching ferrer v gasquet at the australian open. ferrer easily held his own in the backhand to backhand rallies and most people would agree ferrer has one of the worst backhands in the top 20.

I don't agree at all : Ferrer's backhand has become very good, doesn't fear anyone on that shot, it may even be better than Nadal's, although Nadal is better for the slice.

Yes Ferrer against Gasquet backhand rallies are often won by Ferrer, I mean who gets the short ball to attack.

duong
07-24-2012, 09:46 AM
imo it wasn't the tweener himself which makes it famous, it was because he did this shot at a gs-semifinal against djokovic and he had 3 mp's after this.

Even apart from that, I don't remember any tweener passing-shot as powerful and well placed as that.

leng jai
07-24-2012, 09:53 AM
As for Gasquet's backhand - the stroke itself is fantastic. The problem is his mindset and court positioning. No one is going to consistently dominate rallies on the backhand standing 2 metres behind the baseline hitting the ball below net height.

leng jai
07-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Even apart from that, I don't remember any tweener passing-shot as powerful and well placed as that.

Haas hit a GOAT tweener vs Federer (ironically) in the 2007 Dubai SF. He hit was in the middle of the court with Federer at the net and he passed him with a clean winner when he had little to no angle to work with. Can't find it on youtube anymore though sadly.

Slice Winner
07-24-2012, 10:02 AM
agree with gasquet's backhand.

as a finishing shot it's absolutely spectacular, but his average cross court rallying shot isn't anything special.

look what happens when he comes up against a true GOAT contender backhand

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N301&oId=G628

federer's net game is overrated too. it may be technically excellent but he just doesn't spend enough time up there and therefore makes too many stupid errors when he does.

Three bagels. Maybe that's how Dave got fat.

castrationcult
07-24-2012, 11:23 AM
As for Gasquet's backhand - the stroke itself is fantastic. The problem is his mindset and court positioning. No one is going to consistently dominate rallies on the backhand standing 2 metres behind the baseline hitting the ball below net height.

Agree.

While the Nalbandian-Gasquet head to head is very one-sided, and Nalbandian has often dominated Gasquet in cross court backhand rallies, it doesn't tell the whole story. Nalbandian's court-position + superior forehand gives him something of a 'handicap' in these type of rallies. Still Gasquet manages to reel off some tasty winners (usually when the match is already lost and he can't be arsed doing his 10 feet behind the baseline act).

While Gasquet's backhand swing is very long I don't think it would be so prohibitive if he had a different forehand technique and mentality. While his highlight reel winners have probably caused some to overrate the shot, it's still very rare to see him shank or mishit on that side, even when he chooses to take it on the rise (unlike another famous one-hander who has a far shorter swing).

Slice Winner
07-24-2012, 11:29 AM
The last time Gasquet hit a ball on the rise was 2007.

GSMnadal
07-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Ok, apparently your post gets deleted when you say Federer is overrated, but I'll try again.

His forehand is overrated (greatest weapon ever, hmm, highly questionable), but the main thing is that Federer in general is overhyped on here. JesusFed and stuff like that. 'Peak Federer would've killed him.'

No, just say no to that.

leng jai
07-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Ok, apparently your post gets deleted when you say Federer is overrated, but I'll try again.

His forehand is overrated (greatest weapon ever, hmm, highly questionable), but the main thing is that Federer in general is overhyped on here. JesusFed and stuff like that. 'Peak Federer would've killed him.'

No, just say no to that.

Federer's forehand is rated as it should. His peak forehand was virtually flawless. The backhand is the stroke that gets overrated to an extent.

duarte_a
07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
What do you mean? He's pretty comfortable with them and doesn't often make mistakes, when he goes to the net he generally puts the volleys away and makes it look easy. :confused:

nadal only goes to the net when he has the point set up. He can make easy put away volleys but he can't volley to save his life.

GSMnadal
07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Federer's forehand is rated as it should. His peak forehand was virtually flawless. The backhand is the stroke that gets overrated to an extent.

His backhand is the shot that is underrated here, I think. Because of what Nadal did to it, everyone is always saying 'just loop it on to his backhand and Shankerer will rise.'

It's a good shot, not great, but it's not easy to break down at all. Only Nadal looks capable of doing ot consistently.

leng jai
07-24-2012, 11:41 AM
His backhand is the shot that is underrated here, I think. Because of what Nadal did to it, everyone is always saying 'just loop it on to his backhand and Shankerer will rise.'

It's a good shot, not great, but it's not easy to break down at all. Only Nadal looks capable of doing ot consistently.

Just because it never "breaks" down doesn't mean it isn't overrated. He is coming second in the poll for best single handed backhand of all time. That says it all. To clarify I am talk about his topspin backhand. His excellent slice does a good job of masking the deficiencies of his rally drive.

GSMnadal
07-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Just because it never "breaks" down doesn't mean it isn't overrated. He is coming second in the poll for best single handed backhand of all time. That says it all. To clarify I am talk about his topspin backhand. His excellent slice does a good job of masking the deficiencies of his rally drive.

Put Federer in a poll on here and he'll get most of the votes. Make a poll about the greatest RG champion, borg or nadal, and Federer would still win on here. I think it's more a matter of him being overrated by his fanboys, than that they actually think his backhand is that great.

If you want their real opinions, read their angry/anxiety posts during a Fed match. Always bitching on that 'horrible' backhand

Looner
07-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Federer's topspin BH has really only been outstanding (for me) for a period of a few months at the end of 2006. Before and after it was always the lesser of his rally shots (FH and BH slice as well) by a large margin.

leng jai
07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Federer's topspin BH has really only been outstanding (for me) for a period of a few months at the end of 2006. Before and after it was always the lesser of his rally shots (FH and BH slice as well) by a large margin.

2006 TMC final.

Gagsquet
07-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Gasquet's backhand is a dual shot.
His attacking backhand is one of the greatest shot of the history.
His "rally" backhand is good but his court positioning reduces his efficiency.

leng jai
07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
The amazingness of Gasquet's backhand is skewed by the fact that any backhand would look GOAT in contrast to that forehand.

Gagsquet
07-24-2012, 11:56 AM
That's trolling leng

IOFH
07-24-2012, 11:58 AM
It's pretty difficult to find generally overrated shots but there are a couple overhyped strokes there: Gasquet's BH definitely, it's irrelevant that the stroke is gorgeous when he's hitting it 4 meters behind the baseline throughout his career, the top players abuse that court positioning advantage consistently. The only time I saw him consistently hit it from an aggressive position was MC 2005.

Nadal's volley also, he's not better than Federer in that at all. Mostly putaways or incredibly advantageous positions in the net, although he hits the drop volley consistently well.

What else? Maybe DP's FH, sure it's a huge weapon when he unwinds but that's about it, it can be very ineffective when he's not hitting his spots or his opponent doesn't allow him to use it like he wants to. A great weapon but not the GOATFH some people were saying it was bc he hit couple of 100+ in the USO final.

IOFH
07-24-2012, 12:04 PM

That final against Blake was absurd as far as the BH goes. I disagree though that his topspin BH hasn't been great otherwise, he's always used it quite well to create angles and put himself to a position to end the rally with the FH. The only thing it's better now idealing with the high balls, for example Fed was in huge trouble in the USO 2005 final when Agassi started kicking his 1st serve to Fed's BH at 100 mph, it completely threw him off his rhythm.

duong
07-24-2012, 12:10 PM

No, just say no to that.

Actually, you could read previous polls about "who is the most overrated player ? and you could see that I answered "Federer" ... despite being a Fedlover ... because yes, his hype is just too much.

BUT about your example 'Peak Federer would've killed him.',

I can see that you're 20 years old and I don't know how much you did watch prime Federer, but please watch some videos from Youtube if you want to know what Fed's forehand was at his peak (his forehand was at his peak probably around 2004-2005 even though Fed's overall peak may be rather 2006, esp. on clay)

I think it's more a matter of him being overrated by his fanboys

Fed's fanboys don't always overrate him,

on the opposite some people who don't like him do overrate him, especially journalists, for instance Tignor who is a massive Nadal-fan and just has no enthusiasm when Fed wins because he just feels it's ... normal, he seems to feel about him as if he's a machine.

To really enjoy a player, you can't see him as a machine.
That's why I think I rate Nadal higher than you do (although highly disliking him he impresses me hugely just in the meantime -both are connected by the way), because for me he's more of a machine (or rather a freak) than for you.
And I've read the same about Federer.

That said, on MTF specifically and not about real life I was talking about before, there's the special category of "trolling gloryhunters" who take a lot of place and there are more of them who support Fed :lol:

leng jai
07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
That's trolling leng

You must have missed my post in the other thread where I admitted that I don't troll.

DTL
07-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Nadal's forehand outside of clay. Needs time to set it up and can break down in the face of aggressive play.

Blathzer
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Nadal's volley skill ... Mcenroe has hyped it very much but honestly his volley does not come in top 20 best volleyr.

leng jai
07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Identifying someone who has mediocre volleys is pretty easy. People who aren't confident at the net will literally always play a drop volley when the ball is below net height if the opponent is on the baseline. Nadal is one of those players.

LoveFifteen
07-24-2012, 02:45 PM
There is so much nonsense in this thread. It's basically just another chance for haters to trash some of the world's top players. I strongly dislike Roger Federer because of his personality, but I'm not going to call his game or strokes "overrated". :o

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Don't forget Lew Hoad's backhand, man that was overated :drink: :drink: :lol:

Looner
07-24-2012, 02:51 PM
There is so much nonsense in this thread. It's basically just another chance for haters to trash some of the world's top players. I strongly dislike Roger Federer because of his personality, but I'm not going to call his game or strokes "overrated". :o

:facepalm: Congratulations on contributing a big fat zero to the thread.

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Federer fans everytime he hits a good backhand today;

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Ukraine-Kid-Celebration-Euro-2012.gif

Game.Petzschner
07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
del potros forehand to me is very overrated.

Mark Lenders
07-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Tsonga's net play, his approach shot is as overrated as sex on the beach.

Good thing sex on the beach isn't overrated then :p

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Good thing sex on the beach isn't overrated then :p

its all sandy. Trust. ;)

Time Violation
07-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Nadal's mental strength/fighting... I've read many times (and believed) how if it goes to decider, he practically cannot lose. While recently he crumbled quite often, from Dodig to even Verdasco of all people.

duong
07-24-2012, 03:42 PM

And I deeply love Federer but I can say that ... because the human he is has led to a legend, a myth, comments which are really "over the top" and forget the reality.

Same for Nadal in a lesser extent.

Djokovic hasn't led to enough myth so far.

Arkulari
07-25-2012, 05:03 AM
Tsonga's net game is not overrated, his volleys are quite good but the problem is that his approach shots are some of the worst ones you would see in a pro.

Roger's BH has actually become more solid to play rallies than it used to be, consistently speaking it is better now than it was before because he's not aiming to hit winners off it all the time like he did on his peak, right now he's more patient and uses his best BH shots (slices & angular CC) to set up his FH or volleys and finish the point.

Is it the best one handed BH? no way, it's just that the rest of his game is still so good (and it was better at his peak) that he made up for that weak wing against everyone except for Rafa on clay (consistently speaking).

Rafa's BH has never been overrated either IMO, it was always a means to an end but his main weapon has always been the FH as well, most of his winners come off that shot, the BH is to set up rallies.

LoveFifteen
07-25-2012, 03:27 PM
:facepalm: Congratulations on contributing a big fat zero to the thread.

Can you please stop interacting with me on this forum? I'd really appreciate it. Stop giving me bad reps every week, and stop following me. Please just put me on your ignore list. Thanks! :)

Arakasi
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Federer's second serve.
Djokovic's footwork.
Nadal's forehand.
Murray's defense.

Might post some more later.

Edit: Just realised the title says "shot" so I can't really include footwork and defense but oh well.

duong
07-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Edit: Just realised the title says "shot" so I can't really include footwork and defense but oh well.

you should because there "non-shot" qualities are veryunderrated on MTF ;)

Lugburz
07-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Tsonga's net game is not overrated, his volleys are quite good but the problem is that his approach shots are some of the worst ones you would see in a pro.

^^ this..

Fed fordawin
07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Nadal's use of medical time outs has been very poor lately, couldn't use it at the proper moment.

Slice Winner
07-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Federer's second serve.
Djokovic's footwork.
Nadal's forehand.
Murray's defense.

Might post some more later.

Feel free to post about stuff other than shots.

E.g., Gasquet's court positioning.
You know. Just for a 100% random example ;)

Fujee
07-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Tomic' retarded forehand.

IOFH
07-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Murray's folding abilities in slam finals

Nadal's and Ferrer's fighting spirit

Tsonga's serve

Verdasco's forehand

Andy1402
07-26-2012, 03:13 AM
Nadal's "moonball" crap. I mean, djokovic finally did what federer couldn't do..made a mockery of it.

leng jai
07-26-2012, 03:19 AM

Roger's BH has actually become more solid to play rallies than it used to be, consistently speaking it is better now than it was before because he's not aiming to hit winners off it all the time like he did on his peak, right now he's more patient and uses his best BH shots (slices & angular CC) to set up his FH or volleys and finish the point.

Is it the best one handed BH? no way, it's just that the rest of his game is still so good (and it was better at his peak) that he made up for that weak wing against everyone except for Rafa on clay (consistently speaking).

Rafa's BH has never been overrated either IMO, it was always a means to an end but his main weapon has always been the FH as well, most of his winners come off that shot, the BH is to set up rallies.

Fact is the approach shot is a vital component of your "net game". Knowing when to come in and how to come in is as important as the quality of the volleys themselves. Tsonga has a great volley which he can abuse at times like a lot of players. His punch volleys are decent but nothing out of the ordinary.

BackhandDTL
07-26-2012, 03:19 AM
Nadal's "moonball" crap. I mean, djokovic finally did what federer couldn't do..made a mockery of it.

But if only one guy, one of the two currently ranked above him, has been able to consistently make a mockery of it, is it really "overrated"? Given that it varies per person and surface at times, that same forehand tends to give most people nightmares.

Mark Lenders
07-26-2012, 03:28 AM
I've already listed mine. Here are some underrated shots now.

-Federer's backhand

-Tsonga's serve

-Del Potro's forehand

-Berdych's backhand

-Tipsy's backhand

-Cilic's return of serve

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 03:30 AM
I've already listed mine. Here are some underrated shots now.

-Federer's backhand

-Tsonga's serve

-Del Potro's forehand

-Berdych's backhand

-Tipsy's backhand

-Cilic's return of serve

I've noticed Nalbandian's volleys are surprisingly good :eek: But no-one ever mentions them :shrug:

Mark Lenders
07-26-2012, 03:34 AM
I've noticed Nalbandian's volleys are surprisingly good :eek: But no-one ever mentions them :shrug:

I think everyone knows Nalbandian's backhand and overall touch (including at the net) are sublime, don't think his volleys are underrated.

A fine example of an underrated shot is Tsonga's serve, which is clearly the best in the top 10 now that Isner is #11. It's basically the shot that has allowed him to have such a good career despite having the worst backhand and return in the top 10 (again, thanks to Isner being out of the top 10 at the moment). Lost count of how often Jo has served his way out of trouble over the years despite the rest of his game not working so well (in contrast with for instance Berdych who keeps serving his way into trouble).

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 03:38 AM
I think everyone knows Nalbandian's backhand and overall touch (including at the net) are sublime, don't think his volleys are underrated.

A fine example of an underrated shot is Tsonga's serve, which is clearly the best in the top 10 now that Isner is #11. It's basically the shot that has allowed him to have such a good career despite having the worst backhand and return in the top 10 (again, thanks to Isner being out of the top 10 at the moment).

Ehhh I think when people think of Nalbandian they automatically think of his backhand (which is amazing) But he doesn't have a bad drive volley either, it's not all drop volleys :shrug: And I also think everyone knows Tsonga's serve is dominant. There was a whole thread dedicated to him holding (was it 80+?) times. So no doubt Tsonga's serve is recognized.

leng jai
07-26-2012, 03:45 AM

A fine example of an underrated shot is Tsonga's serve, which is clearly the best in the top 10 now that Isner is #11. It's basically the shot that has allowed him to have such a good career despite having the worst backhand and return in the top 10 (again, thanks to Isner being out of the top 10 at the moment). Lost count of how often Jo has served his way out of trouble over the years despite the rest of his game not working so well (in contrast with for instance Berdych who keeps serving his way into trouble).

Tsonga has played a lot of serve bot like matches in the past few years.

Mark Lenders
07-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Ehhh I think when people think of Nalbandian they automatically think of his backhand (which is amazing) But he doesn't have a bad drive volley either, it's not all drop volleys :shrug: And I also think everyone knows Tsonga's serve is dominant. There was a whole thread dedicated to him holding (was it 80+?) times. So no doubt Tsonga's serve is recognized.

People who follow tennis most certainly recognize Nalby's insane touch and volleying. The backhand is obviously his trademark shot though; no wonder as it's arguably the best two hander the game has ever seen (I don't think it is the best, but it's surely up there).

Yeah, I made that thread :p In general though, I rarely see Jo's serve mentioned among the best on tour.

Slice Winner
07-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Fact is the approach shot is a vital component of your "net game". Knowing when to come in and how to come in is as important as the quality of the volleys themselves. Tsonga has a great volley which he can abuse at times like a lot of players. His punch volleys are decent but nothing out of the ordinary.

Tsonga has punch volleys?
I thought he only had the drop volley, and the "clown volley"*.

*when he attempts to sideways slam-dunk a ball that could easily be put away with a smash or regular volley.

Mark Lenders
07-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Tsonga has played a lot of serve bot like matches in the past few years.

Indeed. His serve is the reason he's even in the top 10, let alone making Slams semis and final. With his crap backhand and ROS, he'd be fucked without his huge serve. His serve has bailed him out uncountable times.

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 03:52 AM
People who follow tennis most certainly recognize Nalby's insane touch and volleying. The backhand is obviously his trademark shot though; no wonder as it's arguably the best two hander the game has ever seen (I don't think it is the best, but it's surely up there).

Yeah, I made that thread :p In general though, I rarely see Jo's serve mentioned among the best on tour.

I guess I just haven't noticed anyone talking about Nalby's volleys :shrug: But I will stick to my point that Tsonga's serving does get noticed and praised. I think Tsonga's serve gets praised a lot more than Nalby's volleys tbh.

Mark Lenders
07-26-2012, 03:56 AM
I guess I just haven't noticed anyone talking about Nalby's volleys :shrug: But I will stick to my point that Tsonga's serving does get noticed and praised. I think Tsonga's serve gets praised a lot more than Nalby's volleys tbh.

I guess you might have a point, mostly because the serve is Tsonga's best shot, while Nalbandian's volleys, while exceptional, are kind of overshadowed by his backhand.

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 04:02 AM
I guess you might have a point, mostly because the serve is Tsonga's best shot, while Nalbandian's volleys, while exceptional, are kind of overshadowed by his backhand.

Indeed ;)

leng jai
07-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Nalbandian has very solid volleys but I wouldn't call them exceptional by any stretch of the imagination. He never uses them enough to influence the outcome of a match and the shot is too "by the book" in my opinion. He would benefit from coming in more and using more flair with the shot.

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Nalbandian has very solid volleys but I wouldn't call them exceptional by any stretch of the imagination. He never uses them enough to influence the outcome of a match and the shot is too "by the book" in my opinion. He would benefit from coming in more and using more flair with the shot.

I think he is very confident at net. Because this definitely influenced the match, as he came back to win it ;) The fact that he went to net on 2 MP's shows he's definitely confident with his volleys and they're really reliable.
lrO_9eZoIKE

Slice Winner
07-26-2012, 04:13 AM
Nalby's volleys are about the same as Hewitt's. Both very good, but both guys don't rely on them often.

Andy1402
07-26-2012, 04:14 AM
But if only one guy, one of the two currently ranked above him, has been able to consistently make a mockery of it, is it really "overrated"? Given that it varies per person and surface at times, that same forehand tends to give most people nightmares.

Yeah.. you are right. Maybe it's just my bias against overtly defensive tennis. Nadal is one of the best defensive players in history but djokovic did expose some weaknesses. Maybe even rosol did some damage to that.

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 04:15 AM
Nalby's volleys are about the same as Hewitt's. Both very good, but both guys don't rely on them often.

Sure Nalby doesn't go to net often, but it doesn't take away the fact that he has very good volleys. And part of the reason that his volleys might be underrated is because he doesn't display his volleys often :shrug:

leng jai
07-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Hewitt definitely has the edge. Probably one of the top volleyers of tour out of players that predominately play singles. He didn't rely on them that much because he never had enough power in his groundstrokes/serve to get to the net consistently.

Slice Winner
07-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Sure Nalby doesn't go to net often, but it doesn't take away the fact that he has very good volleys. And part of the reason that his volleys might be underrated is because he doesn't display his volleys often :shrug:

Dunno why you're shrugging, brah, I agree.

BroTree123
07-26-2012, 04:18 AM
I think he is very confident at net. Because this definitely influenced the match, as he came back to win it ;) The fact that he went to net on 2 MP's shows he's definitely confident with his volleys and they're really reliable.
lrO_9eZoIKE

That drop volley was insane :bowdown:

Slice Winner
07-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Hewitt definitely has the edge. Probably one of the top volleyers of tour out of players that predominately play singles. He didn't rely on them that much because he never had enough power in his groundstrokes/serve to get to the net consistently.

Hewitt's a beast at net. Pity he's only 150cm tall, and like you say, doesn't often get into net.
THAT being said. Hewitt's serve is also underrated IMO.

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Dunno why you're shrugging, brah, I agree.

I shrug to hide my insecurities and my social anxiety.

leng jai
07-26-2012, 04:19 AM
The problem with his serve was that he always had a shit first serve percentage. Rarely ever served above 60% first serves from what I saw.

Slice Winner
07-26-2012, 04:21 AM
The problem with his serve was that he always had a shit first serve percentage. Rarely ever served above 60% first serves from what I saw.

He should learn from Verdasco. Roll it in at 80% and work his way to the top of the game.

Freak3yman84
07-26-2012, 04:22 AM

Awwww dangit! I think you got me there. Hewitt is a way better doubles player than Nalby. Which probably means he's a better volleyer. Most people forget that Hewitt won the US Open in dubs :eek:

leng jai
07-26-2012, 04:23 AM
Lleyton = drop volley king and overhead GOAT.

ersatto
08-06-2012, 12:14 AM
I think we may have discovered the most overrated shot of all time

Roddick and Querrey are both taller as well but Federer still has a better serve. Karlovic is taller and has more pace in his serve, but it's still arguable that Federer still has the better serve. So, what's your point?

:lol:

Seriously, how can anyone believe that Federer's serve is better than Roddick's or Querrey's, let alone Karlovic's? Because he holds real easy? Ever realized how his groundgame is miles ahead of these guys? :facepalm:

Topspindoctor
08-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Olderer has an awesome serve, but it still can't compare to someone like Karlovic who uses his height to generate wicked angles without losing the pace. Every serve bot tends to be over 190cm. Olderer uses technique rather than height to make his serve effective.

The Prince
08-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Federer's serve might be better than Roddick's right now, it's close.

Querrey's is a level above though, and Karlovic is way out in front.

ersatto
08-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Nalbandian is an underrated volleyer, no doubt.

Federer: his volleys are quite overrated too, as you could see today against Murray.

Djokovic: the fact that some people ever seriously considered him the return GOAT shows how incredibly overrated that shot of his was. I would also add his BH cross court (seriously, can't get much angle at all unless he's playing Nadal) but it looked great against Federer in RG 2012. Last but not least his movement, which Mats Trollander claimed was far ahead of Nadal. :haha:

Nadal: his returning probably.

Murray: his backhand can be unimaginative.

green25814
08-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Murray's backhand is hardly overrated. He can do almost anything with it. Its better than Gasquet's as far as I'm concerned

Chemokine
08-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Nadal's volleys, Federer's volley- when it's going good it's going great, but when it's not.., Del Potro's forehand- that thing needs to be 100% on fire for it to be effective.

Chemokine
08-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Fed has a good ground game, a decent serve in pace and pretty good placement, so he holds pretty well.

Still, Karlovic has a better all around serve. Roddick's serve is pretty tame nowadays, but still quite good.

Freak3yman84
08-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Commentators always talk about how great Dolgopolov's serve is, but it's very inconsistent imo.

spencercarlos
08-06-2012, 02:10 AM
They way it happened? so hard so fast and so low, you gotta be kidding me, average club players don't hit that shot.

bubinjo
12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Gasquet backhand-people are talking like it's the best in the world,but compares to Nole or Murray backhand is not even close to them.Del PO forehand maybe,after winning US open his forehand is not that hard and destructive but it is still among the best

bubinjo
12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Murray's backhand is hardly overrated. He can do almost anything with it. Its better than Gasquet's as far as I'm concerned It is so true for Murray backhand,I am from Serbia and our commentator's are not even once mentioned how godd is Murray backhand,in reality is far best backhand of course with Djokovic.Gasquet backhand is average

Noserer
12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Noserer's all shots expect serve are overrated.

Naudio Spanlatine
12-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Backhand is so overrated, most of the players on the men and women side go straight to the backhand, only a few players go to the forehand these days. I use to think the serve, but after watching alot of tennis its the backhand.

Plus i love forehands more :devil:

atennisfan
12-06-2012, 10:15 PM
running from side to side all day long like energizer bunny is overrated.

BackhandDTL
12-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Backhand is so overrated, most of the players on the men and women side go straight to the backhand, only a few players go to the forehand these days. I use to think the serve, but after watching alot of tennis its the backhand.

Plus i love forehands more :devil:

In a way, though, this emphasizes the importance of the shot in general. Most rallies in today's game are constructed around the backhand. Players often look to break down that shot or use it to open up the (righty) forehand or deuce side of the court. As such, its stability in today's game is made very important.

With guys like Djokovic and Murray showing up, players who are more concrete on both sides, we may begin to see a gradual change in the dynamics of the game, wherein differences between the two wings are mostly contextual.

ProdigyEng
12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Berdych forehand. Caused the top 4 trouble on a few occasions (Mainly Fed and Murray), but unless it's the perfect conditions for him, they can all cancel it out.

Mark Lenders
12-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Berdych forehand. Caused the top 4 trouble on a few occasions (Mainly Fed and Murray), but unless it's the perfect conditions for him, they can all cancel it out.

He didn't beat those players/caused them trouble due to his forehand, but rather his ability to generate power effortless with short compact swings and force them to be constantly on the defensive. Also his ability to return Federer's serve.

Newcomer
05-13-2014, 06:47 PM
bump?
I'm go with peak Federer backhand and dimugtrov game in general

Mr. President
05-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Slice Serve

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Mr. President
05-13-2014, 07:28 PM
For federer

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

emotion
05-13-2014, 07:31 PM
By commentators: Isner forehand
On here: Paire backhand (Yes, it's good. No, it isn't the best in the world)

JoWilly
05-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Nadal's forehand of course. It may be better than his other shots, but he still only hits about 3 winners per match. Hardly dangerous.

Newcomer
05-13-2014, 07:39 PM
JoWilly massively declined just as Dull's return in 2014 :tears:

Police Of Mind
05-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Glad to know this topic has established that every shot ever is overrated. Nice.