Who can do the surprise in the olympics? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who can do the surprise in the olympics?

incube
07-23-2012, 10:25 PM
To get a medal or to get the gold.
I hope Kolsreiber can get at least the 3rd place:worship:
Also I think in three sets Raonic could be dangerous.

Thunderfish8
07-23-2012, 11:35 PM
i think the first half of the 2012 season has proven that the top 3 are not nearly as invulnerable as they were last year.

both djokovic and federer have the ability to lose to an opponent who is absolutely on fire

i think it will be djokovic because federer is too confident right now

plus the olympics are usually not indicative of current rankings (please don't flame me if this is kind of wrong I'm not too experience with olypics)

BAMJ6
07-23-2012, 11:41 PM
An American surprise like the last 2 olympics. Blake was match point away from a silver, and Fish was the same in 2004. An American medaling

Corey Feldman
07-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Monaco beats Federer in the final

jcempire
07-23-2012, 11:53 PM
An American surprise like the last 2 olympics. Blake was match point away from a silver, and Fish was the same in 2004. An American medaling

They have another guy like 04 Fish or 08 James

misty1
07-24-2012, 12:08 AM
if there is anything we have learned from the olympics its that anything can happen. Nicolas massu won in 2004 on a fast, hard court.

I think that if they keep the form they had at wimbledon up than tsonga and kohlschreiber can definately do damage and perhaps medal. I know its grass and best of 2 but i still think that once they come up against a skilled enough grass courter big serves like isner and raonic are going to be exposed.

my top 4 that can make a run if they keep the wimbledon/recent form up are:

cilic
kohlschreiber
dimitrov
tsonga

Freak3yman84
07-24-2012, 12:14 AM
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. It's going to be a Harrison-Young final with Young ultimately prevailing :rolleyes: You can guarantee it!

r2473
07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. It's going to be a Harrison-Young final with Young ultimately prevailing :rolleyes: You can guarantee it!

how does this qualify as a surprise :smoke:

Ramsay
07-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Raonic, Isner, Karlovic. That players with great serves.

HKz
07-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Raonic questionable on grass. He has not shown much ability on grass. The serve of course very beneficial, but lack of experience and poor movement hurt him much more than the serve helps him, even if this is grass. I won't entire count him out though. Isner similarly is someone I would question. Sure, he did good in Newport, but the pressure won't compare to Olympics/Wimbledon especially against the best in the world.

Roddick is one to watch out for I think. The British crowd always cheer for him, he has found some form again, his confidence should be high enough, and this is best of 3 which works perfectly because he still needs more time to be ready for best of 5 matches IMO. In fact, if Roddick wins which is either way quite doubtful, it would so great. At least he wins at Wimbledon in some way :o

abraxas21
07-24-2012, 12:58 AM
tsonga getting a medal wouldn't be a surprise for me

BAMJ6
07-24-2012, 12:59 AM
They have another guy like 04 Fish or 08 James

Isner or Roddick are medal possibilities. For the other guys, I just want them to win a match each

abraxas21
07-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Monaco beats Federer in the final

haas > federer

monaco > haas

i'll let you make the conclusion

abraxas21
07-24-2012, 01:00 AM
i'll also say this

yanks will have no chance to get a male singles medal. the one with the best chance is roddick but even he will make the QF at best if he gets a good draw.

this might come to bite me in the ass as stranger things have happened in the olympcs (massu winning them) but i'm sure of what im saying here.

HKz
07-24-2012, 01:08 AM
i'll also say this

yanks will have no chance to get a male singles medal. the one with the best chance is roddick but even he will make the QF at best if he gets a good draw.

this might come to bite me in the ass as stranger things have happened in the olympcs (massu winning them) but i'm sure of what im saying here.

Why wouldn't Roddick have a good shot? He has found some form and he can still derail either Federer or Djokovic especially considering this is grass. Federer might be a stretch, but beating Djokovic on best of 3 grass isn't far-fetched. I think if Roddick can get to the QFs, he has a very good shot at a medal from that point on. He is a lot more likely to be upset the first few rounds, but once he can get over that hurdle, honestly I think he has as much as a chance as anybody.

abraxas21
07-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Why wouldn't Roddick have a good shot? He has found some form and he can still derail either Federer or Djokovic especially considering this is grass. Federer might be a stretch, but beating Djokovic on best of 3 grass isn't far-fetched. I think if Roddick can get to the QFs, he has a very good shot at a medal from that point on. He is a lot more likely to be upset the first few rounds, but once he can get over that hurdle, honestly I think he has as much as a chance as anybody.

roddick did surprise federer this year even. then again, i don't see it happening again in the olympics. will definitely keep an eye on him. like i said, a lot stranger things have happened.

The Prince
07-24-2012, 01:12 AM
I think Roddick will get a silver medal. I still think Murray wins the gold though.

abraxas21
07-24-2012, 01:14 AM
I think Roddick will get a silver medal. I still think Murray wins the gold though.

would be weird if roddick loses another final in the wimbledon centre court, this time not against federer.

sexybeast
07-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Haas, Roddick and maybe even Hewitt can fight for some medal.

uxyzapenje
07-24-2012, 01:37 AM
Djokovic to get the gold, Tipsarevic bronze. :rocker:

I'm allowed to hope/dream :)

I would also like to see Roddick and Hewitt do well (maybe get to the QF or even SF for Roddick, get 1 upest and make R3 or QF for Hewitt).

Mark Lenders
07-24-2012, 02:03 AM
Berdych to win gold.

Nole Rules
07-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Berdych to win gold.

Schooling Fed in the final. :rocker2:

doublebackhand
07-24-2012, 02:15 AM
I would have said Kohli to get a bronze if it wasn't for his stupid scheduling. Now I see him crashing out in R2.

As for surprise how about Ferrer getting a medal? He is having the best season and in best of 3 and seeded 4th, it's possible. no?

Whiznot
07-24-2012, 02:26 AM
Big surprise. During the men's final Toni and Rafa sneak into the arena and steal all the medals.

duong
07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
I think MANY surprises can happen : two-setters on grass with no warm-up "slam first round" (top-70 players at once) or "tournaments before", Olympic context (motivation and exterior interests, double tournament),

anything can happen.

The only surprise to me would be if there's no surprise and a Fed-Djoko final. I don't expect that at all.

Chris Kuerten
07-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Ferrer will rise.

TBkeeper
07-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Grassdenko will be drawn against Murray again and will spill another Godterview before it and then Losing something like 6-0 6-0 :D

Johnbert
07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
from the poll most likely is "murray wins gold" and "tsonga wins a medal" imo.

arod is in a good condition atm, maybe he can snatch a medal?

Djokovic to get the gold, Tipsarevic bronze. :rocker:

I'm allowed to hope/dream :)

I would also like to see Roddick and Hewitt do well (maybe get to the QF or even SF for Roddick, get 1 upest and make R3 or QF for Hewitt).

gold for djokovic absolutely possible, but bronze for tipsy?! :unsure:

asmazif
07-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Fish to lose the gold medal match 13-15 in the fifth to Devvarman.

Roy Emerson
07-24-2012, 04:48 PM
A surprise finalist.

TigerTim
07-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Gold: Murray
Silver: Ferrer
Bronze: Monaco
4th Place: Tomic

Moozza
07-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Murray wins gold here, beating Fed in the final. It would be typical.

Ferrer get bronze here, routining Berdych something like 6-2 6-0 on the way.