The All England Club has clay courts?! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The All England Club has clay courts?!

Ash86
07-22-2012, 09:19 PM
I knew the Club had indoor courts - and we've even seen the players using them - but I didn't know it had clay courts too. Never heard anyone mention it.

From Wikipedia:

The club currently has 19 tournament grass courts, as well as five red shale courts, three Continental clay courts, one American clay court, and five indoor courts, which are hidden under temporary stands and marquees during the tournament.

and from the Wimbledon website:

The Grounds are owned by the All England Lawn Tennis Ground plc and consist of 19 grass courts (including Centre Court and No.1 Court), eight American Clay courts and five indoor courts, two Greenset Velvelux and three Greenset Trophy.

Not sure whether the Wimbledon website is just simplifying it by saying all 8 are American Clay rather than the breakdown on Wikipedia, but either way - is this a commonly known fact? Was I the only one unaware of these clay courts? Would love to see a charity exo or something on claycourts at the All England Club - would be rather funny. :D

philosophicalarf
07-22-2012, 09:24 PM
A lot of the bigger facilities have multiple surfaces. Clay is pretty useful because it dries by itself :-)

American red used to be the default, but a lot of recent courts built are with German or Swedish clay because they cope with the weather (ie the rain) better.

Macbrother
07-22-2012, 09:40 PM
What kind've private club would it be without clay courts? :)

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 09:44 PM
the all england club sounds like one of the most pretentious rich-catered posh sports facilities in the world.

overall that's probly my biggest problem with tennis. it has been and probably always be a sport for the ones with money, minus some extraordinary exceptions.

superslam77
07-22-2012, 09:59 PM
the all england club sounds like one of the most pretentious rich-catered posh sports facilities in the world.

overall that's probly my biggest problem with tennis. it has been and probably always be a sport for the ones with money, minus some extraordinary exceptions.

i don't agree...tennis like golf should be a classy elite sport.

Wimbledon is what makes tennis epic.

leave everything else for the masses.

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 10:01 PM
i don't agree...tennis like golf should be a classy elite sport.

Wimbledon is what makes tennis epic.

leave everything else for the masses.

hope you're not serious

superslam77
07-22-2012, 10:06 PM
hope you're not serious

of course i'm serious.

tennis must always be a sport for the gentlemen and successful people can play at their clubs without problems.

i don't want any cursing,spitting,yelling,ball scratching,butt picking,armpit smelling,trash talking,fangirlism or violence.

everything must look and smell like roses :angel:

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 10:12 PM
of course i'm serious.

tennis must always be a sport for the gentlemen and successful people can play at their clubs without problems.

i don't want any cursing,spitting,yelling,ball scratching,butt picking,armpit smelling,trash talking,fangirlism or violence.

everything must look and smell like roses :angel:

even if that's what you want in tennis, it doesn't follow that it must be a sport for the ones with money. poor people can behave the same or better as the rich farts who play the game.

but something tells me you're just kidding/trolling so what gives ;)

superslam77
07-22-2012, 10:18 PM
even if that's what you want in tennis, it doesn't follow that it must be a sport for the ones with money. poor people can behave the same or better as the rich farts who play the game.

but something tells me you're just kidding/trolling so what gives ;)

nah not kidding but i'm always a clown anyways.

not everything has to be targeted for poor people, they have way too many sports already. but anyways if you can't buy a freaking racket,tennis shoes and a few balls then you have no business playing sports in the first place. someone like that should be worrying about surviving.

well let's say i want it to remain a classy sport more than a rich sport. i don't want it to become like say baseball, people spitting all the time and fat bastards eating hotdogs.

viruzzz
07-22-2012, 10:18 PM

IMO, your argument is invalid, has no sense and sounds like a very resentful speech.

If you can't afford the all england club, fine, go to another club, you don't have to go to the best one to be a good player.

Tomic practiced tennis with a racquet he bought with 5 dollars and a wall when he was young...

If you have talent and love the sport, even if you don't have a penny, you will triumph... But, of course, commies won't agree with that.
:wavey:

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 10:27 PM
the point, my (right wing) friends, is that tennis is quite expensive and that makes it highly selective for most of the population to play and much more to compete at a professional level. racquets are expensive, court time is expensive, coaches are expensive, traveling is expensive, even the freaking balls ain't cheap.

conversely, you need much less to play sports like football or basketball. that's where the original sporting spirit is at.

then you go to places like the all england club (bloody hell, even the name is pretentious as fuck) where you'll see rich old farts eating strawberries with cream while watching some white clothed guys playing wimbledon. the image is disgusting. i much rather watch the j block in the stands of the USO or the bogans in oz supporting their bogan king hewitt than the rich pricks you see in most tennis tourneys.

coluta
07-22-2012, 10:33 PM
then you go to places like the all england club (bloody hell, even the name is pretentious as fuck) where you'll see rich old farts eating strawberries with cream while watching some white clothed guys playing wimbledon.

Or like that lady who was knitting during one of Murray's matches.

viruzzz
07-22-2012, 10:39 PM
EDIT: I don't agree, but what the hell. Believe in your perfect world.
I don't wan't to discuss politics with someone like you in a tennis board.

HKz
07-22-2012, 11:12 PM
the point, my (right wing) friends, is that tennis is quite expensive and that makes it highly selective for most of the population to play and much more to compete at a professional level. racquets are expensive, court time is expensive, coaches are expensive, traveling is expensive, even the freaking balls ain't cheap.

conversely, you need much less to play sports like football or basketball. that's where the original sporting spirit is at.

then you go to places like the all england club (bloody hell, even the name is pretentious as fuck) where you'll see rich old farts eating strawberries with cream while watching some white clothed guys playing wimbledon. the image is disgusting. i much rather watch the j block in the stands of the USO or the bogans in oz supporting their bogan king hewitt than the rich pricks you see in most tennis tourneys.

...you just answered your own question. We need those rich folks in order to provide for this expensive sport. It is an elitist's sport anyways, and it will always be. I really don't see why you are complaining. Costs to play tennis are never going to go down and neither is it ever going to be generally popular among the less fortunate. Either way, again, don't see what the complaint is really about. Don't like the All England Club or the people that are associated with such places, then there are thousands of other clubs around the world. I was fortunate to not have to play at a club since my parents' house has a tennis court in their backyard :o

chenx15
07-23-2012, 12:00 AM
it's actually not that expensive to play tennis (except in winter) but i love playing it so i don't care my six one tour racquets all bought used for 100 dollars each, stringing is 20 dollars per month per racquet. 4 cases of balls a year.
what i like about abraxas point is the fact that it is very difficult to find competitive players in the club level because the sport is very hard to learn and can be quite expensive and most people playing it are people with money who can have time to learn it or kids whose parents were able to send their kids to tennis camps. with that being said, it is a very gentleman sports until you go to old mafioso club then cheating prevails ha ha ha. but i love playing with those guys because they teach me how to be mentally tough and not go for the lines which give me patience. damn i even love the negative side of the sport. damn tennis

StevoTG
07-23-2012, 02:50 AM
Well, for nations like England who are desperately looking to produce more players, making tennis more affordable would be a damn fine move. I would like to think that eventually sports wont be segregated according to class - the more people you have playing a sport, the better it is for the sport (though I'm sure certain people would worry about the class of the sport being diluted, a topic which can be opened into a whole other debate about evolution of sport -v- protection of tradition, proper enforcement of club rules at grassroots level, the education system, class differences and so forth).

Speaking on a local level, most of the clubs around me are becoming more affordable anyway.

As for the AELTC having clay courts, I wonder if there are grass courts at the French Open? I'd imagine they'd get some use from players who exit in R1 but don't fancy going to England yet or are still in the mixed doubles or something like that. I'm guessing they don't have any, seeing as we always hear of how little space they have.

EDIT: I see there are 20 courts at Stade Roland Garros according to wikipedia, so only room for clay.

philosophicalarf
07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
As for the AELTC having clay courts, I wonder if there are grass courts at the French Open?

There are a couple, at the very west end of the RG premises.

Or there were, maybe they've been scrapped now.

rocketassist
07-23-2012, 02:17 PM
All the outdoor courts at my local park and tennis centre are clay courts. There's far more here than you think.

coluta
07-25-2012, 05:37 PM
The members have different arrangements for taking tea during the Games. So the London organising committee and the International Tennis Federation are in charge of the All England Club during the Games, with the members giving them control. That means that, if the members want to take tea over the coming days, they will have it at the Aorangi practice courts rather than in the clubhouse.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2012-07-25/201207251343209491798.html

Travod
07-25-2012, 06:34 PM
I never understood the "club." Can a "member" play a fun match on Centre Court?