Farmers Classic, Los Angeles: Paire Seeded #1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Farmers Classic, Los Angeles: Paire Seeded #1

jjc225
07-22-2012, 06:02 PM
This is one of the lowest rankings I've seen in a men's pro tennis tournament recently for the top seed. Paire is ranked 47 in the world. Well, it could be an interesting tournament nonetheless.

Also, interestingly in the bet-at-home tournament in Austria, top-seed Philip Kohlschreiber (for singles) is playing doubles with some Austrian kid named Stephan Tumphart, who received a wild card. How did that happen?

RNW
07-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Also, interestingly in the bet-at-home tournament in Austria, top-seed Philip Kohlschreiber (for singles) is playing doubles with some Austrian kid named Stephan Tumphart, who received a wild card. How did that happen?

http://www.bet-at-home-cup.com/de/spiel-deines-lebens-gewinner-steht-fest-junger.html

That was a contest/challenge where 4'000 players competed.

Blue Heart24
07-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Baker got a really good draw,I expect him to play a lot better than in Atlanta and to reach semis at least.

shotgun
07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
This used to be one of the strongest "ATP 250" events.

Zelyony
07-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Golden chance for Paire to win his first title, I don't see any other in draw trouble him.

dencod16
07-22-2012, 06:40 PM
What a shame for these tournaments, they are going down because of the Olympics, back to the norm next year.

tommyg6
07-22-2012, 06:42 PM
I bet this event now holds the record for the weakest field for an atp 250 event ever in atp history.

TigerTim
07-22-2012, 06:49 PM
The vultures will scavenge like loonies at Olympics. :facepalm:

This means the Crows and Dingos will clean the plates at LA and Washington.

:haha:

I rename these the crow and dingo championships :lol:

tennisfan856
07-22-2012, 07:04 PM
eh, for the tennis junkie like myself, there's still some nice names in there.

if the gucc, smyczek, and chewy qualify, it should be a fun draw.

tuek
07-22-2012, 07:04 PM
:lol: Gulbis not even bothering to come back to try to defend his title. Anyone know why he chose to play Austria instead?

uxyzapenje
07-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Weakest tournament in ages, I hope Querrey can win it. Or Blake. Or Baker.

coluta
07-22-2012, 07:29 PM
It is worth mentioning that Baker is seeded. I am pretty sure this is a first for him.

mooncreek
07-22-2012, 07:50 PM
:lol: Gulbis not even bothering to come back to try to defend his title. Anyone know why he chose to play Austria instead?

That's frankly a really bad sign. I get that the field would be weak due to the Olympics but Gulbis didn't make the Olympics.

The only thing I can think of is that Gulbis had a chance of making the Olympics if a player withdrew from a weak nation. On the ladies side, Kanepi from otherwise unrepresented Estonia withdrew so the ITF picked Duque-Marino over higher ranked players just because Colombia wasn't represented on the ladies side. Stakhovsky got an ITF pick and he was only two spots ahead of Gulbis at the deadline.

Since the only withdrawals on the men's side came from Spain and France, that possibility never came into play.

shotgun
07-22-2012, 08:03 PM

Maybe he's more interested in Austrian prostitutes than L.A. hookers. ;)

tealeaves
07-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Paire :lol: top seed LMAO

Alex999
07-22-2012, 08:50 PM
yeah guys, but this tournament is played the same week as the Olympics If I'm correct. I'm pretty sure it is, but didn't check it out. It might turn out to be an interesting tournament. plus, one of these lower ranked guys, get to win a title and most of them can gain some points and improve their rankings.

Boreas
07-22-2012, 08:55 PM
The end is near for ATP.

Allez
07-22-2012, 08:56 PM
He is going to crumble under the weight of expectation. I bet the tournament directors are praying for some vultures to swoop in at the last minute now and save this tournament...

motorhead
07-22-2012, 09:02 PM
this is a golden chance for the Gooch to put another title under his belt

Hypnotize
07-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Worst line-up I have ever seen for a 250. There have been Challengers with more depth than this tournament. At least 4 year ago you had guys like JMDP (who was on the rise) and Roddick competing at these events.

tealeaves
07-22-2012, 09:11 PM
yeah guys, but this tournament is played the same week as the Olympics If I'm correct. I'm pretty sure it is, but didn't check it out. It might turn out to be an interesting tournament. plus, one of these lower ranked guys, get to win a title and most of them can gain some points and improve their rankings.

LA starts tomorrow. The one you are talking about is 500 Washington

tuek
07-22-2012, 09:12 PM
That's frankly a really bad sign. I get that the field would be weak due to the Olympics but Gulbis didn't make the Olympics.

The only thing I can think of is that Gulbis had a chance of making the Olympics if a player withdrew from a weak nation. On the ladies side, Kanepi from otherwise unrepresented Estonia withdrew so the ITF picked Duque-Marino over higher ranked players just because Colombia wasn't represented on the ladies side. Stakhovsky got an ITF pick and he was only two spots ahead of Gulbis at the deadline.

Since the only withdrawals on the men's side came from Spain and France, that possibility never came into play.

You must be right and Ernests was still holding out hope for the Olympics. I remember after he beat Murray in that exho before RG, he told the interviewer he would love to play in London but would need a wildcard. Looks like he was pretty damn close if Stakhovsky was given the spot. Disappointing...

Even without Ernests :D, this could still potentially be a fun tournament, though. Paire and Baker have a real shot at their first title and it would be a great final if they both make it that far, with Benoit seeking revenge after losing to Brian at Wimbledon.

dencod16
07-22-2012, 09:17 PM

It's starts the week before but Olympics starts at Saturday.

Alex999
07-22-2012, 10:16 PM
LA starts tomorrow. The one you are talking about is 500 Washington
yup, you are right. I got mixed up. Thank you :).

Sombrerero loco
07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
my god :facepalm:

Arkulari
07-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I've seen Challengers with stronger draws :o

asmazif
07-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Brian is a seed. EPIC.

Ernie :lol:

Seriously, this looks great - as long as Querrey doesn't win, brilliant.

TigerTim
07-23-2012, 12:06 PM
The Dogs and Crows classic right here, too low even for Vultures!

n8
07-23-2012, 12:50 PM
The number one seed is oh so low ranked, but the 8th seed (ranked 79 on drawsheet) and last direct entry (119 on drawsheet) aren't too bad. In 2009, Newport had a 90th ranked 8th seed and a 159 last direct acceptance.

jrm
07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
it's still better than Baku or Tashent in WTA

Vinceremo
07-23-2012, 04:59 PM
He should take a picture of it and embrace the moment :lol: Also, look at Phau seeded :p Dream opponent for anyone coming off the qualies.

Hope Leo Mayer has a good tournament here, could've had an easier draw considering the quality of the entire field!

evilmindbulgaria
07-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Pretty weak draw.

Oh, well, I guess I won't be going this year unless they announce an exho or something between, say, Sampras and Chang :cool:

abraxas21
07-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Golden chance for Paire to win his first title, I don't see any other in draw trouble him.

he'll choke at some point

HKz
07-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Really sad for the tournament. I was going to go this year, but got really busy :(