Why call Monaco Mug and not Ferrer? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why call Monaco Mug and not Ferrer?

_maxi
07-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi.

I'm surprised with the amount of unfavorable comments about Monaco. Usually he has no weapons against the top4 (only beat Muzza once) but what's the problem if he reaches the top ten?

He is not even a pusher. He plays a game very similar to Ferrer's. Ferrer on the other hand, is respected. I think both should be equally respected.

What's the problem if Monaco is top ten? Explain to me how is it less embarrassing that Isner was top 10.. or Tipsarevic.. or Almagro... all these players are not good enough to be top 5, just like Monaco.

Plus, juan had an injury this season.. and in spite of that, he could make enough points to be in the top 10.

Congrats to him.

You can hate his game, but at least he is no cheater like some other.

HKz
07-22-2012, 04:47 PM
This has been discussed. Ferrer is a likeable guy for several reasons. He is very short for today's standards (certainly when comparing to the top 25 in the world) and he actually manages to create some weaponry in his game unlike Monaco who struggles throughout many matches. Sure, Ferrer has struggled heavily against Federer, but he has had several notable wins over Novak, Rafa and Andy.

Monaco really hasn't done much to gain enough respect yet. Of course, he has time to still build a good rep.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Both are mugs.

_maxi
07-22-2012, 04:49 PM
What? you have to be able to beat the top 4 in order to gain respect? I didn't know that... Can't you just accept that Monaco is not good enough to beat the top 4? does he deserve to be called mug for that?

tennishero
07-22-2012, 04:50 PM
when you have haters, then you know you've made it.

HKz
07-22-2012, 04:50 PM
What? you have to be able to beat the top 4 in order to gain respect? I didn't know that... Can't you just accept that Monaco is not good enough to beat the top 4? does he deserve to be called mug for that?

Now you're making shit up. Where did anyone say such a thing in this thread so far which has only had 2 posters respond.

Roger the Dodger
07-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Pics has greater consistency than Mugnaco.
Pics has defeated top players unlike Mugnaco.
Pics doesn't choke unlike Mugnaco.
Pics has a thread dedicated to himself on MTF unlike Mugnaco.

_maxi
07-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Now you're making shit up. Where did anyone say such a thing in this thread so far which has only had 2 posters respond.
You did..
I don't agree 100%. Rafa has a lot of haters and I think he deserves it.

Slade
07-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Ferrer has the heart of a champion whereas Mugnaco arguably does not.

HKz
07-22-2012, 04:53 PM
You did..

Again, where the fuck did I say what you said. Let's see you use your quoting skills bro. I didn't flat out say he has to beat top 4 in order to gain respect, because fact is, Monaco has defeated Rafa before and he is 2:2 with Murray. Again, read the whole fucking comment I made. Just a sad Argentinean that can't stand his favorite player getting dissed. Either you're in love with Juan or you haven't been around GM long enough.

_maxi
07-22-2012, 04:56 PM
This has been discussed. Ferrer is a likeable guy for several reasons. He is very short for today's standards (certainly when comparing to the top 25 in the world) and he actually manages to create some weaponry in his game unlike Monaco who struggles throughout many matches. Sure, Ferrer has struggled heavily against Federer, but he has had several notable wins over Novak, Rafa and Andy.

Monaco really hasn't done much to gain enough respect yet. Of course, he has time to still build a good rep.
So he gained respect by beating the top 4 a few times. Monaco couldn't do that so he does not deserve respect.

The Fearhand
07-22-2012, 04:56 PM
You did..

So it's ok when you hate a certain player and think he deserves it but not ok if others hate a certain player they think deserve it (that you so happen to like) ?

Do you see the irony in this ?

HKz
07-22-2012, 04:57 PM
So he gained respect by beating the top 4 a few times. Monaco couldn't do that so he does not deserve respect.

Yes, I flat out said this has made Ferrer not a mug and has made Monaco a mug. In case you still struggle with reading, that was called sarcasm.

So it's ok when you hate a certain player and think he deserves it but not ok if others hate a certain player they think deserve it (that you so happen to like) ?

Clearly he is just a biased Argentine that for no apparent reason is sad that his beloved Juan has some haters, like every player in the world, and especially one that has yet to establish a clear reputation, at least one that is truly positive.

The Fearhand
07-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Just a sad Argentinean that can't stand his favorite player getting dissed.

Pretty much.

Orka_n
07-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Neither of them are mugs. However, Ferrer has more potential and I understand how people might consider him a more respectable top ten player than Monaco.

_maxi
07-22-2012, 05:05 PM

I think the entire world has enough reasons to dislike Nadal. And I'm asking here what are the reasons to dislike Monaco, to call him Mug. Do you see that there is no irony? If you give me reasons, then I might be able to understand.
Yes, I flat out said this has made Ferrer not a mug and has made Monaco a mug. In case you still struggle with reading, that was called sarcasm.
You pointed it as one of the things that made Ferrer be respected. I respect Ferrer a lot.

Clearly he is just a biased Argentine that for no apparent reason is sad that his beloved Juan has some haters, like every player in the world, and especially one that has yet to establish a clear reputation, at least one that is truly positive.
I'm not a biased argentine. Juan is not my favourite player.
I'm just curious about this tag that juan has been put on. Can't you see that the man is fighting like a dog and doing everything he legitimate can do to win matches? he is fighting.. he is not that young anymore, and is playing the best tennis of his life at 28 years old.. I think he deserves respect. He is no Ferrer, he is no Berdych, No Tsonga... but he deserves respect.
Pretty much.
Na.

RForever
Funny, this mug thing... There is a thread about Amir Weintraub where everybody shows respect on how though the life of tennis pro is. And that guy was like 280 back then. You can see how difficult it is to get higher in rankings, to get a real breakthrough. And then there is player who just got to top 10 and he is mug and does not deserve any respect? I can not get this.

Sent from my iPad using VS Free

henke007
Ferrer was close to taking out Murray at Wimbledon for a 1/2, enough said..

fabolous
suck it :D

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/juan_pico_monaco_2.jpg

The Fearhand
07-22-2012, 05:09 PM

I agree with everything you said.

I was actually going to agree with him thinking why the need to hate on a certain player, I mean dislike him one thing but hate ? No need. But then after reading his replies he goes and does THE EXACT SAME THING that he complains about.

_maxi
07-22-2012, 05:13 PM
No way. The world has enough reasons to hate Cheater fake humble Nadal. That has nothing to do with hate towards Monaco.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 05:16 PM
They are both huge mugs. They are weaponless grinders who will never make any impact on any big tournament and are only on the tour to vulture ranking points and keep better/more talented players (who are not vultures) from rising up the rankings.

sexybeast
07-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Ferrer can beat any top player except Federer, he is actually really good against big hitters like Berdych, Del Potro and Tsonga and very good against Nadal outside clay, reasonable results against Djokovic/Murray.

Monaco is just no good for anything.

Blue Heart24
07-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Ferrer > Monaco by faaaar.

dencod16
07-22-2012, 05:23 PM
They are both huge mugs. They are weaponless grinders who will never make any impact on any big tournament and are only on the tour to vulture ranking points and keep better/more talented players (who are not vultures) from rising up the rankings.

As far as i checked they are playing same number of events than everyone else.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Sadly though, being better than Monaco might very well be his greatest career achievement.

_maxi
07-22-2012, 05:24 PM
We knew it.

The Fearhand
07-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I think the entire world has enough reasons to dislike Nadal. And I'm asking here what are the reasons to dislike Monaco, to call him Mug. Do you see that there is no irony? If you give me reasons, then I might be able to understand.

Your reason (or should I say the entire world since you like speaking for others which includes me) for hating a person might not be the same reason others hate Monaco and FYI I don't hate anyone. But the people who hate Monaco might not hate him for the same reasons as you hate another player. But at the end of the day you show the exact same behaviour as the people you are referring to regarding Monaco...the only difference are your reasons..they might vary but the roots are the same. In the end you are no different than the people you are referring to.The fact that you're still not getting it is even more ironic. I doubt you'll be able to get this.

dencod16
07-22-2012, 05:30 PM
He has defeated Murray twice BTW his 2-2 against Murray. I agree that Ferrer is better than Monaco, everyone knows it Monaco it like a 80-90% Ferrer.

Nathaliia
pics has a far more accomplished career with his outstanding grand slam appearances and several titles...

however, monaco has to be respected to achieve what he did through work and taming some of his mental demons. he worked to improve his consistency and the improvement and point gain between 2011 and 2012 rewarded him with the top 10 place ... whether he keeps it or not is another issue, but for the time being he deserves credits :yeah:

Blue Heart24
Sadly though, being better than Monaco might very well be his greatest career achievement.

:lol: You are just not realistic about Ferrer.

MuzzahLovah
07-22-2012, 05:37 PM

The people here calling players mugs are rabid idiots, so don't worry about that.

MuzzahLovah
07-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Interestingly, Monaco has a winning H2H with Ferrer! Lolz. How is he an 80-90% Ferrer lol, if Ferrer can't even beat him most of the time?

Slice Winner
07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
People hate Monaco because he bends over so hard for Rafa.

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Pico needs a pair of victories over Rafa and he would be a hero here.

rocketassist
07-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Pico needs a pair of victories over Rafa and he would be a hero here.

yeah, like Ferrer who's still getting flak despite beating Nadal 4 times in his career.

Roger the Dodger
07-22-2012, 06:01 PM
yeah, like Ferrer who's still getting flak despite beating Nadal 4 times in his career.

Not really. He's earned many fans having saved tennis 4 times.

People hate Monaco because he bends over so hard for Rafa.

Moot point.

samanosuke
07-22-2012, 06:06 PM
both are tragic for tennis. monaco more

rocketassist
07-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Besides, a player gaining fans for beating Nadal is only cancelling out the hatred he receives from the Rafatard brethren.

TigerTim
07-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Ferrer has beaten Rafa as many times in Grand Slams as Muzzah or Roger ever has :lol: :eek:

Slice Winner
07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Not really. He's earned many fans having saved tennis 4 times.

Moot point.

Not moot, just correct.

Ash86
07-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Ferrer has beaten Rafa as many times in Grand Slams as Muzzah or Roger ever has :lol: :eek:

That is actually quite an odd statistic... Wonder how many times he's lost and whether his win % is better vs Rafa than either Murray/Roger over best of 5.

Moozza
07-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Ferrer is way ahead of Monaco. Just look at their slam results. Ferrer QF's or better at all slams, while Monaco has never been beyond R16.

viruzzz
07-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Maxi, you must be new here.
Every player is a mug in MTF. You never heard of Fedmug? Mugdal? Mugovic? Mugray?

ATM they're not mentioned so much because they're olderer, the moonballer, fakervic and "That slamless dude".

So... Don't whine about that, the thread is stupid as fuck.

Your level of stupidity rised so damn much when you wrote this post, it's amazing!
Look, there it is, Ser Lenders and his true face. Doesn't seem so good now, eh?

Looner
07-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Ferrer is way ahead of Monaco. Just look at their slam results. Ferrer QF's or better at all slams, while Monaco has never been beyond R16.

Says it all. If Ferrer was 6" tall, he'd be a much bigger threat as well. He's got quite a decent serve as well.

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Can I get a definition for the term "mug"?

Thanks in advance.

Ravel
07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Monaco has a good record on clay. Ferrer has a better record on clay and other surfaces also. Ferrer certainly deserves more respect

Pirata.
07-22-2012, 08:04 PM

This is how I picture you ever time Ferrer wins a match: :bigcry:

Making quarters and semis in slams is not making an impact at a big tournament? The real mug here is you.

Federer in 2
07-22-2012, 08:13 PM
This is how I picture you ever time Ferrer wins a match: :bigcry:

Making quarters and semis in slams is not making an impact at a big tournament? The real mug here is you.

Don't even bother...It's useless :facepalm:

Alex999
07-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I really don't understand why people call tennis pros mugs. A certain tennis player manages to be in top 10, 10 best tennis players in the world and some of you guys call him a mug. I'm scratching my head.
According to some of you here everyone on the tour not called Djokovic, Federer and Nadal is a mug.

Pico is a good player, he earned his top 10 spot. Ferrer is a better player than Pico and that's about it.

Kiedis
07-22-2012, 08:32 PM

Out there there is a thread who said he is third players more loved here. Sure he has some haters, but all players have few.

_maxi
07-22-2012, 08:43 PM
I really don't understand why people call tennis pros mugs. A certain tennis player manages to be in top 10, 10 best tennis players in the world and some of you guys call him a mug. I'm scratching my head.
According to some of you here everyone on the tour not called Djokovic, Federer and Nadal is a mug.

Pico is a good player, he earned his top 10 spot. Ferrer is a better player than Pico and that's about it.
Exactly :)

What do you people do? are you on the top 10 in your occupation? I don't think so. So can I call you mugs?

Caralimon
07-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Monaco has received more insults and criticism this year than all previous years combined. I guess stirring people up it's a synonym for success. So, ironically, Pico would be thankful for all the dumb remarks about him in this thread.

TBkeeper
07-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Muggaco > Mugrrer

G4.
07-22-2012, 08:54 PM
mugs

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 08:57 PM
on top of being friends with nadal and bending over to him at every chance he gets, there's something very unlikeable about a guy like mónaco. not sure what it is.

as for ferrer, i just don't have an opinion one way or the other tbh.

Alex999
07-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Monaco has received more insults and criticism this year than all previous years combined. I guess stirring people up it's a synonym for success. So, ironically, Pico would be thankful for all the dumb remarks about him in this thread.
you are right. Same with Tipsy. When Pico and Tipsy were ranked 40-50 or so, almost nobody even talked about them here. yet when they made it to top 10, oh boy, we have all of this sh!t going on. We, as tennis fans, should be cerebrating tennis, tennis players and their victories/success, not call them names.

greenberetta
07-22-2012, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't bother about all the mugs here calling tennis professionals mugs in every second sentence. Just goes to show a certain lack of brains among a lot of posters here. :eek:

BodyServe
07-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I remember after the Valencia match last year, someone said "bad for tennis", i asked "how it would have been better if Ferrer had won?" No answer as expected :lol: :lol: :lol:

EliSter
07-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Pics has greater consistency than Mugnaco.
Pics has defeated top players unlike Mugnaco.
Pics doesn't choke unlike Mugnaco.
Pics has a thread dedicated to himself on MTF unlike Mugnaco.

I stoped reading after this. :facepalm:

Henry Chinaski
07-22-2012, 11:49 PM
I think Lenders gets uncomfortably aroused at the sight of the beautiful Ferrer and this is how he suppresses his homoerotic desires.

Asadinator
07-23-2012, 01:07 AM
I stoped reading after this. :facepalm:

Oh c'mon, you missed 1 whole line :bigcry:

E-r-i-c
07-23-2012, 01:47 AM
Does a player never broke into GS QF deserve respectation for reaching top10?

Sombrerero loco
07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
lol ferrer has been top 4 and is a consistent top 10, top 6 or something
monaco is so worse than him come on

Intheshadows
07-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Up until this year, Monaco had lost 7 finals in a row which probably contributed to his mug status. None of them were against the big 4 either.

mgorganchian
07-23-2012, 11:58 AM

People are so much "success oriented" in the bad sense of this word...

In Argentina we call it "exitista".

There are might be many people that don’t like Pico's game. Well if you compare it with Federer, Djokovic, Nadal or many others such as Nalbandian it might not be so beautiful to watch but come on he is at his peak and after an injury.

Doesn’t he deserve some respect?

I have seen him training in Buenos Aires...

Most of us would wish to have the guts to train as much as most of the pro tennis player does.

Most of us would wish to have 10% the talent of any of these guys.

Let's be more respectful to Monaco and to all pro tennis players.

We can dissent on who we like more but we also need to congratulate when someone improves his top performance.

Pico was fighting against himself and he won that battle.

Isn't this much about what we all expect about our life.

mgorganchian
07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
on top of being friends with nadal and bending over to him at every chance he gets, there's something very unlikeable about a guy like mónaco. not sure what it is.

as for ferrer, i just don't have an opinion one way or the other tbh.

Have you met him, have you spoken with him? If you don't know what it is... then please take the chance to meet him, see him when he is training and then it could be that your opinion could change.

In Argentina there are/were many tennis players that were born in a small/medium city outside Buenos Aires called Tandil which by the way is very beautiful.

https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=imagenes+sierras+tandil&hl=es-419&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8T4NUNftBJKw8ASb_NHACg&ved=0CFwQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=809

http://www.welcomeargentina.com/tandil/

It is not a coincidence that all his fellow colleagues that were born in Tandil (Mariano Zabaleta, Maximo Gonzalez, Diego Junqueira and Juan Martin del Potro between others) like Pico.

jrm
07-23-2012, 12:15 PM
who hasn't been called mug here :rolleyes:

buddyholly
07-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Ferrer knows how to shave his neck! That's the difference.

Jverweij
07-23-2012, 02:40 PM
tbh the amount of respect that Ferrer gets here is disproportionate if you compare it alot of players who arguably as good or even better (Berdych, Tsonga, Murray, Roddick, Hewitt, and ofc Donald Young).

I am not saying in any way that Ferrer does not deserve the respect he gets, because he does. What I am saying is that the other guys deserve it just as much as he does, and so does Monaco.

I think what Mark Lenders is trying to say is that he dislikes both Ferrer's and Monaco's style of play. I agree with him, I find it abit boring to look at, but I respect pretty much every top player, as long as he doesn't behave like a tool.