Who will be the next American to win a Slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who will be the next American to win a Slam?

Lazyking
07-22-2012, 05:46 AM
Watching Roddick play the last few days kinda made me sad for American Men's tennis. Roddick was the last American to win a slam and that's been almost 10 years ago.. I wasn't the fan of Tennis I am now but this was coming off Sampras and Agassi dominating and since I just watched slams back then, Roddick was pressed as the great new hope for American tennis.

Fast forward to 2012 and Roddick's career is on the tailend and The rest of the Americans just don't seem to have what it takes to win a slam. Unless there's a 15 year old prodigy out there somewhere, I think the USA drought in slams will continue a long time.

What says you?

uxyzapenje
07-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Maybe Harrison, in like 5 years, when Novak and Rafa decline and he furfills his potential, with a bit of luck, maybe he could snatch one USO

TigerTim
07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Ivan Lendl still has a better chance than these clowns.

Tommy Haas.

RForever
07-22-2012, 10:54 AM
With the US population, number of courts and history, it is just question of time when somebody special will show up. Can take a while though...

The Fearhand
07-22-2012, 10:56 AM
I agree with Harrison, showed lots of potential. Over 5-6 years I can see him win at least one.

But I do miss the likes of Sampras, Agassi. USA has always been good with producing these talents so I'm looking forward to that next prodigy. I just hope his game won't be solely based on serve though...like Andy, Isner etc.

TennisOnWood
07-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I think much bigger question is when will that happen

sexybeast
07-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Andy Roddick to win one Ivanisevic like Wimbledon is still more likely than any other options for the next 2 years.

He could have done it if he played like 2009 last year, 2009 Roddick would defeat 2011 Djokovic on grass (dont know about NAdal).

kidbourbon
07-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Jack Sock in four years.

SapELee
07-22-2012, 01:36 PM
I would have said Harrison last year, but his game seems to have gone backward :sad:. Even his little brother is more aggressive than him :help:. Hopefully, he will re-discover his all-court game. As of right now, Jack Sock probably has a better chance than Ryan. I think the 96-98 crop can be special though.

Roy Emerson
07-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Enigma.

TennisOnWood
07-22-2012, 01:58 PM
I would have said Harrison last year, but his game seems to have gone backward :sad:. Even his little brother is more aggressive than him :help:. Hopefully, he will re-discover his all-court game. As of right now, Jack Sock probably has a better chance than Ryan. I think the 96-98 crop can be special though.

Not sure USA can wait 10 years for some of players born in 1996. or after, and theres no chance they can win Major before.. not in today's stupid tennis

Jack or Ryan must do that, but no one can tell when

SapELee
07-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Not sure USA can wait 10 years for some of players born in 1996. or after, and theres no chance they can win Major before.. not in today's stupid tennis

Jack or Ryan must do that, but no one can tell when

Today's tennis is kinda one-dimensional and is currently full of grinders. I think that the next wave of young players to have success will be the ones with the all around skills who are taught to play smarter. Once a pool is overrun with certain breed, a new species will evolve.

tommyg6
07-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Oh well, who cares? The Americans dominated tennis for such a long time and it's only now they are in a dry spell. I think that American tennis needs to get in a rut if it wants to get it back.

I remember when A-Rod was touted as the next American grand slam hope and I thought to himself, wow, that's just sad. Everything about his game was bleh and generic. I was kinda hoping for something more elegant or exciting than A-Rod's game. He could not compare to Agassi, Sampras and other American greats with his game. Needless to say, I didn't think he deserved that US Open win. He fluked that win against Nalbandian and that was it.

Plus I never liked his demeanour, what a brat. A-Rod never got my respect except for a moment during his loss at Wimby 09.

Lazyking
07-22-2012, 03:05 PM
^Um I think Americans care lol. It doesn't really effect me too much but the fans at the U.S events really get into it when an American is doing well.. I also think it's better for the sport in the states. Not to mention that this so called rut has gone on now for almost 10 years. When Fed came on the scene, you knew Roddick had no shot and no one since has really done anything.

alfonsojose
07-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Donald Young, RG 2013

Lazyking
07-22-2012, 03:12 PM
^with a 50 match losing streak going in, he gets a wildcard and Beats nadal in the final. Then Nadal retires out of shame to losing to young lol.

LastRocket
07-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Donald Young, RG 2013

Xbox or Playstation :shrug:

HKz
07-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Andy Roddick to win one Ivanisevic like Wimbledon is still more likely than any other options for the next 2 years.

He could have done it if he played like 2009 last year, 2009 Roddick would defeat 2011 Djokovic on grass (dont know about NAdal).

Yes this is how I feel as well. Roddick still has to be by far the American with the most chances at a slam title. Sure, Fish and Isner are ranked ahead of him, but Isner's movement can get exposed and he most likely will never be physically ready to take 7 matches in a row and Fish has become a shadow of his former self now.

Litotes
07-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Yes this is how I feel as well. Roddick still has to be by far the American with the most chances at a slam title. Sure, Fish and Isner are ranked ahead of him, but Isner's movement can get exposed and he most likely will never be physically ready to take 7 matches in a row and Fish has become a shadow of his former self now.

Fish won't be ranked ahead for much longer unless things turn around for him. He is just #54 in the race, currently 6th best American there behind Isner (13), Harrison (36), Querrey (42), Roddick (48) and Baker (51). Roddick will of course advance lot of places of the back of this weeks performance.

cutesteve22
07-22-2012, 05:20 PM

yes, maybe in your dream :spit:

Slade
07-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Maybe Harrison if he has a brain transplant.

dencod16
07-22-2012, 05:38 PM
I think as of now Roddick still is their best hope, he should have won against Ferrer in Wimble but was too unfit to do so. As of now, US Tennis can just lean on Serena Williams to give them all their slams may it be Singles, DOubles or Mixed.

timafi
07-22-2012, 06:00 PM
hopefully not for another 20 years

Ibracadabra
07-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Non of the active players

jcempire
07-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Maybe Harrison, in like 5 years, when Novak and Rafa decline and he furfills his potential, with a bit of luck, maybe he could snatch one USO

Ryan is a big joke.

Maybe 2025 :haha:

I think the question better goes when American will win a slam?

Look at Isner and Fish who maybe two best player in United Stated. But Just can't finish the big match. Fish lost three Master final in two years and Isner did the same thing.

The Only guy who made the Slam Semi Final other than Andy Roddick is Robby Ginepri but now he is gone from Top 100.

And James Blake did have great chance but three QF all lost to World No 1 Roger Federer. Bad luck otherwise he maybe only guy who has the real chance to win a Slam.

Now young talent all suck. Guys like Jack sock and Ryan Harrison :haha: If they made Top 10 and stay here for a year that maybe Peak. Denis Kudla is another other Ryan and jack.. who Rank outside 200. Are you kidding me with your question.

Absolutely no chance

And this Kid Sandgren, Tennys who also another big joke.

I believe 43 years old Andre Agassi could easily beat those young guys.
If Mr. Andre play for 2012 USOPEN. I bet on him. He is better all Active American Players.

Freak3yman84
07-23-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm ashamed! No-one mentioned Brian Baker? Brian Baker to take USO 2012, book it!

jcempire
07-23-2012, 01:55 AM
I'm ashamed! No-one mentioned Brian Baker? Brian Baker to take USO 2012, book it!

:haha:

I hope he made 3rd Round. don't lose first round please

BroTree123
07-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Xbox or Playstation :shrug:

He's not in either of them. That leaves us with the last option: Real Life. Hence it will happen.

jcempire
07-23-2012, 01:56 AM
^with a 50 match losing streak going in, he gets a wildcard and Beats nadal in the final. Then Nadal retires out of shame to losing to young lol.

:haha:

Donald Young goes to Junior maybe win the title

BAMJ6
07-23-2012, 03:12 AM
It's Roddick or no one until he's gone. My 2 fave Americans are old/diminished and the other has regressed to almost where his career is in jeopardy again. The others are too young and untalented or their best is just not as good as the Top players

Shuny
07-23-2012, 03:20 AM
No one in this generation will win a slam. Americans will have to wait longer to find their new slam hero I think. I don't see Harrison, Young, Baker, Isner or Fish winning a slam.

Slice Winner
07-23-2012, 03:26 AM
Serena.

kidbourbon
07-23-2012, 03:28 AM
It's Roddick or no one until he's gone. My 2 fave Americans are old/diminished and the other has regressed to almost where his career is in jeopardy again. The others are too young and untalented or their best is just not as good as the Top players

It's not Roddick. If chances of winning a major could be less than zero percent, those would be Roddick's chances.

kidbourbon
07-23-2012, 03:33 AM
Ryan is a big joke.

Maybe 2025 :haha:

I think the question better goes when American will win a slam?

Look at Isner and Fish who maybe two best player in United Stated. But Just can't finish the big match. Fish lost three Master final in two years and Isner did the same thing.

The Only guy who made the Slam Semi Final other than Andy Roddick is Robby Ginepri but now he is gone from Top 100.

And James Blake did have great chance but three QF all lost to World No 1 Roger Federer. Bad luck otherwise he maybe only guy who has the real chance to win a Slam.

Now young talent all suck. Guys like Jack sock and Ryan Harrison :haha: If they made Top 10 and stay here for a year that maybe Peak. Denis Kudla is another other Ryan and jack.. who Rank outside 200. Are you kidding me with your question.

Absolutely no chance

And this Kid Sandgren, Tennys who also another big joke.

I believe 43 years old Andre Agassi could easily beat those young guys.
If Mr. Andre play for 2012 USOPEN. I bet on him. He is better all Active American Players.

Ryan Harrison won't win one. Neither Tennys Sandgren nor Rhyne Williams are likely to win one. Denis Kudla is regressing. Donald Young is terrible. James Blake is washed up. Ginepri is beyond washed up. Roddick ain't doing it. Isner either. I like Fish's game, but I don't see it happening at this late stage. I also like Brian Baker's game, but doing see him able to make a run that deep.

But I do disagree with jcempire on the following two guys:
Jack Sock
Christian Harrison

Especially Sock. I think he's legit.

Clay Death
07-23-2012, 03:35 AM
isner has an outside chance at the u.s. open but a lot of upsets need to happen.

so it is a very distance chance at best.

BAMJ6
07-23-2012, 04:07 AM
isner has an outside chance at the u.s. open but a lot of upsets need to happen.

so it is a very distance chance at best.

Depends on how high he's seeded. Last year it took him a Del Potro upset and him beating Simon for him to make the QF. Better year, better seed, right draw, Nadal injury can open the door for him

DJ Soup
07-23-2012, 04:15 AM
anything is possible after this Fedalokovic strong era ends.

jcempire
07-23-2012, 04:20 AM
Ryan Harrison won't win one. Neither Tennys Sandgren nor Rhyne Williams are likely to win one. Denis Kudla is regressing. Donald Young is terrible. James Blake is washed up. Ginepri is beyond washed up. Roddick ain't doing it. Isner either. I like Fish's game, but I don't see it happening at this late stage. I also like Brian Baker's game, but doing see him able to make a run that deep.

But I do disagree with jcempire on the following two guys:
Jack Sock
Christian Harrison

Especially Sock. I think he's legit.

Christian Harrison :haha: Are you kidding me?

I hope I'm wrong on Sock.

tyruk14
07-23-2012, 07:51 AM
One of the Williams brothers.

Johnbert
07-23-2012, 07:59 AM
arod wins wimby 2014, after that he's the happiest man on earth and retires :smoke:

that would be awesome to see arod winning wimby. :angel:

jcempire
07-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Serena.

IF she plays ATp that I believe she would be one of Top 20

Litotes
07-24-2012, 05:01 AM
IF she plays ATp that I believe she would be one of Top 20

You really shouldn't.

Williams in top shape (better than now) played Karsten Braasch once, when he was drunk, and got hammered in the set they played. He was ranked about 200 at the time, two weeks away from dropping to ca. 350. ATP and WTA cannot be compared.

And someone seems to forget Williams is not even able to top the WTA these days, even having no injury break of importance the last 55 weeks the current ranking is 4th with little prospects of fast improvement.

Travod
07-24-2012, 05:21 AM
It's not like Serena's worse than the three ranked above her. I think her record with Sharapova is pretty embarrassing, and she just beat Azarenka and Radwanska this month.

Lazyking
07-24-2012, 05:24 AM
We're getting off topic lol besides Serena would get destroyed by an ATP player. I dig woman's tennis but she's too inconsistent with her shots and her movement isn't the greatest compared to men. Not to mention she'd be killed on serves by most.

The more and more new guys I watch from the states, I think the slam drought is gonna be at least another 10 years.

HKz
07-24-2012, 05:26 AM
arod wins wimby 2014, after that he's the happiest man on earth and retires :smoke:

that would be awesome to see arod winning wimby. :angel:

I am always wishing for that to happen for Andy, an Ivanisevic-type run out of nowhere and leave the professional world of tennis in style.

Shinoj
07-24-2012, 09:10 AM
If Baker is booked to win a Slam then Rajeev Ram has more chances than him.

Ramerer >> Brian Baker.:wavey:

Johnbert
07-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I am always wishing for that to happen for Andy, an Ivanisevic-type run out of nowhere and leave the professional world of tennis in style.

yes, that would be awesome and the perfect end of his career :worship:

jcempire
07-24-2012, 12:24 PM

How many Slam Finals did Andy lose to Roger?

Especially the Wim Final in 2009.... Where he had best chance to beat Roger Federer in the Final and prove himself. but unfortunately, It's now over. It cost me 5 hours and be very upset about the result