Can Tommy Haas finish inside top20 by the end of 2012? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Tommy Haas finish inside top20 by the end of 2012?

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Tommy Haas fans know why we don't care about his rankings anymore.(as we used to)
For many of us, being inside top32 is enough, so he can be seeded at Slams..

But anyhow, it will be interesting to see if he can pull this off once again after doing the same back in '09...

Looner
07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Voted yes but he needs to stay healthy.

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Voted yes but he needs to stay healthy.

Ofc he needs to stay healthy. The reason I didn't mention it, is everytime I crossed my fingers for him to stay healthy, he injures himself somehow.
That's why I stopped mentioning his injuries etc, trying not to jinx anything :p

Looner
07-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, he could be 29th if he wins tomorrow. I sure hope he does.

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes He Can

The Fearhand
07-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Yes he can. I'd love to see it happen.

Alex999
07-21-2012, 09:25 PM
voted yes. Love Tommy. Can we get greedy and hope for top 10 next year?

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 09:27 PM
voted yes. Love Tommy. Can we get greedy and hope for top 10 next year?

Lets get greedy then!! :devil:
top 10 would be nice final chapter of his career ;)

Alex999
07-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Lets get greedy then!! :devil:
top 10 would be nice final chapter of his career ;)
yup :devil:. I mean, Haas is a much better player than, let's say Tipsy (with all respect to Tipsy)... He just needs to stay healthy and do some smart scheduling.

abraxas21
07-21-2012, 09:37 PM
noticed haas has Kitzbühel in his schedule. will he play it?

perhaps he should better skip it and make the trip to toronto right after tomorrow's final. i reckon toronto will be a good opportunity for him to grab some points considering that it's likely that the top players will be tired or don't play at all.

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 09:41 PM
noticed haas has Kitzbühel in his schedule. will he play it?

perhaps he should better skip it and make the trip to toronto right after tomorrow's final. i reckon toronto will be a good opportunity for him to grab some points considering that it's likely that the top players will be tired or don't play at all.

nope, Tommy puled out from Kitzbuhel next week...

However, he will play Washington. If Germany still persist not to take him to Olympics, as Mayer cancelled it...

Burrow
07-21-2012, 09:42 PM
If he wins tomorrow I can't see him failing to make it inside the top 20, especially with the motivation he's playing with, like every tournament could be his last. I really did not expect such a great comeback. He has plenty of opportunities to gain points.

abraxas21
07-21-2012, 09:45 PM
nope, Tommy puled out from Kitzbuhel next week...

However, he will play Washington. If Germany still persist not to take him to Olympics, as Mayer cancelled it...

when will that be announced? didn't know haas still had any chances to play the olympics.

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 09:47 PM
when will that be announced? didn't know haas still had any chances to play the olympics.

Nah he doesn't have, I'm sure Germany already said their final word on it.
Its just in my head really, I just can't believe they did not nominate him, makes no sense at all :p

abraxas21
07-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Nah he doesn't have, I'm sure Germany already said their final word on it.
Its just in my head really, I just can't believe they did not nominate him, makes no sense at all :p

but there's a chance of mayer witdrawing? in that case they will probably put haas, no?

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Hm maybe my source is wrong, I heard Mayer cancelled.(twitter I think..) will do some research....

edit: yeah I remember it now, Mayer already said no to Olympics. So I think Germany even then didn't nominate Tommy..

abraxas21
07-21-2012, 10:01 PM
i've been trying to look for that info but can't find it anywhere. alas, i don't speak german so i'm limited to english only.

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 10:05 PM
It seems Tommy would have been given WC if Germany nominated him for ze Olympics. Sadly, even after Mayer cancelled the call, Tommy didn't get the spot..

Looner
07-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Germany :facepalm:. Just ridiculously stupid and stubborn. A bit like a mule.

That's all that should be said regarding that decision. Even Fed called them idiots :lol:.

timoe
07-21-2012, 10:14 PM
It seems Tommy would have been given WC if Germany nominated him for ze Olympics. Sadly, even after Mayer cancelled the call, Tommy didn't get the spot..

That's right. No chance at all for Tommy, even though everyone knows he would deserve to play, as Germans are the best at making stupid rules and sticking to them...

on topic: He has about 200 points to defend in 2012 and probably needs about 500 points more, with the 1138 he already has including the points for the final in Hamburg. Those 700 seem definitely like a realistic goal if he stays healthy.

Gagsquet
07-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Why not but I like the hypocrisy out there. Monaco is a vulture while Haas is a hero. Don't make me laugh...

Looner
07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Why not but I like the hypocrisy out there. Monaco is a vulture while Haas is a hero. Don't make me laugh...

Monaco has no place in the top echelon of tennis. He is weaponless. Haas is a former #2 and has proven he can hang and push the best of them. Or are you trolling again?

Paylu2007
07-21-2012, 10:26 PM

we get to see Haas "huge attributes" every match; when monaco plays commando, he will have many more fans on MTF :devil:

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 10:29 PM

also it seems you have missed the thread, in here there's only discussion about one particular hero :p

Alex999
07-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Monaco has no place in the top echelon of tennis. He is weaponless. Haas is a former #2 and has proven he can hang and push the best of them. Or are you trolling again?

pretty much. Haas is one of the most skillful players on the tour. If it hadn't been for that stupid accident, his injuries and the fact he could be a complete nut case, Tommy really could have won multiple slams. His game is absolutely beautiful. He can hit any shot in the book so cleanly and effortlessly.

and, yeah, I feel like vomiting regarding this stupid German thing and the Olympics :rolleyes:. Tommy is a fantastic grass player, and in this particular format (best of 3) he could have gone so far, even winning a medal.

incube
07-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Yes, he should finished at the top20 if he has no injury problems.
And about the olympics i didnt know that the matches are a 3 set matches...more options to players like haas and more sadness about the german decission:(:(

r3d_d3v1l_
07-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Why is the issue with Haas? Does it have to do U.S. citizenship?

I guess we´re back to the old german days... Idiots.

Slade
07-21-2012, 10:59 PM
He certainly can. A step in the right direction would be to trash Mugnaco tomorrow.

nellis_lv
07-21-2012, 11:05 PM
we get to see Haas "huge attributes" every match; when monaco plays commando, he will have many more fans on MTF :devil:

The world isn't ready yet to see a "latin lover" of Monaco's caliber unleashed ...

leng jai
07-21-2012, 11:34 PM

I don't get your point here. In what way is Haas not a hero? Or are you saying he is a vulture by winning 250s beating Berdych, Kohli and Federer?

outrider
07-21-2012, 11:36 PM
No, he will not finish inside the Top 20. But i don't see why this is important. I am happy that Haas can play without pain, if he is #48, #35 or #19 does not matter at all.

Lugburz
07-21-2012, 11:42 PM
No, he will not finish inside the Top 20. But i don't see why this is important. I am happy that Haas can play without pain, if he is #48, #35 or #19 does not matter at all.

As I have already stated in the first post, it isn't important, indeed. But you can't tell me that you wouldn't like him to be at least seeded player at the slams?

Gagsquet
07-21-2012, 11:54 PM
I don't get your point here. In what way is Haas not a hero? Or are you saying he is a vulture by winning 250s beating Berdych, Kohli and Federer?

Winning over high-ranked players is great but I don't understand why Monaco is called vulture and Haas the hero.
Both are irrelevant players for M1000 or GS victories. They both run after money and points at the end of the day. How come tournament selection of Haas is classier than Pico ?

outrider
07-21-2012, 11:59 PM
but I don't understand why Monaco is called vulture and Haas the hero.
How much GS QFs or SFs did Monaco reach in the past?

Gagsquet
07-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Only titles matter and I'm not talking about past achievements anyway.

leng jai
07-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Winning over high-ranked players is great but I don't understand why Monaco is called vulture and Haas the hero.
Both are irrelevant players for M1000 or GS victories. They both run after money and points at the end of the day. How come tournament selection of Haas is classier than Pico ?

You think Haas is playing for the money? I'm sure he can make the same amount of money off the court these days with far less pain. Haas is labelled a "hero" because he has come back from nowhere in the rankings and returned to the top 30 on three separate occasions. Doing it once is a great effort. Doing it three separate times is absurd. Only someone who loves the game would still be playing at 34 after umpteen setbacks. I'm pretty sure Stich was pretty happy when Haas accepted the wild card. Of course he is "going for points". How else do you increase your ranking?

At Wimbledon he had a tough draw and played what looked to be one of the best matches of the tournament. He was playing well enough to make the the 4th/QF if he had a better draw. At RG he qualified and got to the third round on his worst surface. At the Australian Open he was just coming back and lost to Nadal :shrug: Hardly irrelevant at slams when he is healthy unlike Monaco.

The fact you compare Monaco and Haas in the same light means you can only be trolling.

Looner
07-22-2012, 12:26 AM
It saddens me that leng jai can be trolled so easily by Gagsquet when it comes to his favourite player :sad:.

Lugburz
07-22-2012, 12:28 AM
You think Haas is playing for the money? I'm sure he can make the same amount of money off the court these days with far less pain. Haas is labelled a "hero" because he has come back from nowhere in the rankings and returned to the top 30 on three separate occasions. Doing it once is a great effort. Doing it three separate times is absurd. Only someone who loves the game would still be playing at 34 after umpteen setbacks. I'm pretty sure Stich was pretty happy when Haas accepted the wild card. Of course he is "going for points". How else do you increase your ranking?

At Wimbledon he had a tough draw and played what looked to be one of the best matches of the tournament. He was playing well enough to make the the 4th/QF if he had a better draw. At RG he qualified and got to the third round on his worst surface. At the Australian Open he was just coming back and lost to Nadal :shrug: Hardly irrelevant at slams when he is healthy unlike Monaco.

The fact you compare Monaco and Haas in the same light means you can only be trolling.

+100
I was too tired explaining this, so ty that you stood up and actually wrote this, even in reply to an obvious troll....

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Haas is not a vulture, don't know what people are on about. He went through Berdych and Federer just to win a 250, not to mention Kohli, that's the opposite of a vulture. Vultures like Ferrer and Monaco enter tons of tournaments with no top 10 players in the draw, sometimes no top 30 players, just to artificially build their ranking up by beating mugs - or rather players even muggier than themselves.

You'll never find Ferrer or Monaco in a 250/500 tournament where Federer and Berdych (and Nadal too) are in the draw; Haas, not only do you find him, but he actually won the tournament. Haas is a world class talent; despite age and injuries, no one wants to face him because on his day he can beat anyone (bar Nadal who is a horrible matchup for him). He's infinitely superior and more dangerous than Mugaco, who never forgets to bring in the lube when he's facing a top player.

Gagsquet
07-22-2012, 12:39 AM

I'm not comparing them.
But I'm sure Monaco loves the game too.
Monaco did not earn his point in challengers.
Haas is great and I appreciate his come-back but Monaco deserves some respect too.
He is not a vulture.
And for your information, Haas is as irrelevant as Monaco in GS nowadays.

Honestly
07-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Given how strong Fed's era was it's certainly a possibility.

Gagsquet
07-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Haas is not a vulture, don't know what people are on about. He went through Berdych and Federer just to win a 250, not to mention Kohli, that's the opposite of a vulture. Vultures like Ferrer and Monaco enter tons of tournaments with no top 10 players in the draw, sometimes no top 30 players, just to artificially build their ranking up by beating mugs - or rather players even muggier than themselves.

You'll never find Ferrer or Monaco in a 250/500 tournament where Federer and Berdych (and Nadal too) are in the draw; Haas, not only do you find him, but he actually won the tournament. Haas is a world class talent; despite age and injuries, no one wants to face him because on his day he can beat anyone (bar Nadal who is a horrible matchup for him). He's infinitely superior and more dangerous than Mugaco, who never forgets to bring in the lube when he's facing a top player.

So much biased makes me sad.

jjc225
07-22-2012, 12:56 AM
I think Haas will along with Mayer and Kohlschreiber. Three Germans back in the top 20. It's been awhile.

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm not comparing them.
But I'm sure Monaco loves the game too.
Monaco did not earn his point in challengers.
Haas is great and I appreciate his come-back but Monaco deserves some respect too.
He is not a vulture.

in a nutshell, haas plays beautiful tennis while mónaco is a pushing mug. plus, there's a history point to be made of (haas having a bigger CV and, like LJ said, has came back from tough injuries in 3 separate ocassions and is now competing with the best at age 34). if you choose to ignore that, go ahead but i assure you most if not all tennis fans will not.

And for your information, Haas is as irrelevant as Monaco in GS nowadays.
so is gasquet by that criterion :wavey:

evilmindbulgaria
07-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Undoubtedly he CAN. Will he do it - depends mostly on his health.

evilmindbulgaria
07-22-2012, 01:52 AM

Trying to reason with this clown Gagsquet is just like arguing with the radio - all you going to achieve is a sore throat in the morning!

mooncreek
07-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Now that I see Haas is playing Washington, yes he'll be in the Top 20 by the end of the year.

Clay Death
07-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Tommy Haas fans know why we don't care about his rankings anymore.(as we used to)
For many of us, being inside top32 is enough, so he can be seeded at Slams..

But anyhow, it will be interesting to see if he can pull this off once again after doing the same back in '09...

he is one of my favorites so you know i will be cheering for him.

i am glad he is healthy and fit. hope he can continue to shake and bake.

incube
07-25-2012, 12:21 AM
this match for haas against Monaco (one of the best on clay this year) was so serious!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp7ZYI56OnU

Top20? what about a near top10 position:rocker2:

sexybeast
07-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Start with a medal in olympics and now that he is seeded lets hope he gets a more favorable draw in Usopen. Indoor season is tasty, with little competition and filled with tasty free meat for anyone with a good attacking game, so I think he can get to top 15 at the end of the year.

Next year with a good seeded place in the draw at his favorite tournament maybe he could do one more great run in AO, maybe even in Wimbledon 2013.

incube
07-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Start with a medal in olympics and now that he is seeded lets hope he gets a more favorable draw in Usopen. Indoor season is tasty, with little competition and filled with tasty free meat for anyone with a good attacking game, so I think he can get to top 15 at the end of the year.

Next year with a good seeded place in the draw at his favorite tournament maybe he could do one more great run in AO, maybe even in Wimbledon 2013.

The medal would be for him sure...if German Federation would be more inteligent:(

Lugburz
07-25-2012, 01:26 AM
Its still long way to go. Hamburg final was really juicy missed opportunity. He would have been at #29 if he had won it.
Which would have provided insta seed at USO. As I have already said, ranking doesn't matter, as long as he can be seeded player at slams ;)

viruzzz
07-25-2012, 04:07 AM
I was a little pissed off he didn't won Hamburg.
But whatever... He has a great chance at WAZZINGTANN

jcempire
07-25-2012, 04:16 AM
34 years old Haas still one of great player in today

Yes, I hope he do it

dencod16
07-25-2012, 08:45 AM
LOL, at this Olympic talk, firstly Mayer could have petitioned like Kohli did but he didn't. He chose not to play the Olympics due to the conflicts that might arise. if Mayer chose to compete German NOC can replace him, but he chose not to.

duong
07-25-2012, 09:36 AM
he's number 22 in the Race, 160 points from 20th place, and he likes the US Open series, then surely he can.

Lugburz
03-27-2013, 05:09 AM
the hell with top20, top 10 and WTF here we go :lol:

'And...here..we... GO!'

Kyle_Johansen
03-27-2013, 05:10 AM
The way Haas is playing it wouldn't surprise me to see him enter the top 10. A 4R-QF appearance at Wimbledon would gain him many points after the 1R exit last year.

jcempire
03-27-2013, 05:19 AM
I like him to win

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 04:22 AM
Since I won't get too much discussion about it at Haas board, considering there are only few selected amount of people there following him, I'll just copy/paste it here for more thoughts:

Ok, I know this might sound a bit too bold, but can we say Tommy's game back to his peak days?

He was simply brilliant vs Simon, outsmarted the 'smart' one. Played with such confidence and patience. Very self confident and above all' mentally stable', proving it in match vs Djokovic when Novak got the break back in 2nd set.

I dare to say this level of play is higher than the one back in '09 where he adopted more S&V style considering he was coming back from another big injury.
2013 Haas has all the ingredients now, back to his all-around game, making him probably the best all-around player on the tour atm.(at least imo)

Kyle_Johansen
03-28-2013, 04:25 AM
You know what I find so amazing about Tommy right now? He never seems to be pushed around on the court and he always looks in control. The ball is always in his court so to speak, he's dictating the play with his variety and intelligence.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 04:27 AM
Good to see the hype machine in full swing :lol: gulbis now Haas. Who's next I wonder?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 04:30 AM
You know what I find so amazing about Tommy right now? He never seems to be pushed around on the court and he always looks in control. The ball is always in his court so to speak, he's dictating the play with his variety and intelligence.

Exactly, that thing was rarity in last years. He sure had the control and aggression, but he was losing patience so quickly making so many silly UE's.
That's exactly what he changed here, that's why I dare to say he's almost back to his peak days, even knowing the fact it's kinda premature to say.

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 04:31 AM
Good to see the hype machine in full swing :lol: gulbis now Haas. Who's next I wonder?

my hype for Haas has never been out of swing.

leng jai
03-28-2013, 04:32 AM

Nadal when he trashes 30 gimps in a row during the clay season.

Topspindoctor
03-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Nadal when he trashes 30 gimps in a row during the clay season.

That's not hype worthy, mate. That's what we Nadal fans call routine. Being a fan of Haas that feeling is unknown to you, I understand :hug:

Yolita
03-28-2013, 04:52 AM
With his results in Miami so far, he'll pass Wawrinka, Raonic, Nishikori and Monaco, to get the #14 spot.

If he beats Ferru, then he'll pass Simon and Almagro as well, to get the #12 spot.

If he wins the title, it depends how Cilic and Gasquet do. But Tommy could get to #11, 100 points behind Tipsy and 150 points behind Gasquet (this is if Cilic and Gasquet lose their matches tomorrow, there are other scenarios).

I'm hoping Tommy will make the WTFs in November, I've got tickets for 4 full days. It would be so great to see Tommy Haas! :hearts:

Mountaindewslave
03-28-2013, 05:22 AM
With his results in Miami so far, he'll pass Wawrinka, Raonic, Nishikori and Monaco, to get the #14 spot.

If he beats Ferru, then he'll pass Simon and Almagro as well, to get the #12 spot.

If he wins the title, it depends how Cilic and Gasquet do. But Tommy could get to #11, 100 points behind Tipsy and 150 points behind Gasquet (this is if Cilic and Gasquet lose their matches tomorrow, there are other scenarios).

I'm hoping Tommy will make the WTFs in November, I've got tickets for 4 full days. It would be so great to see Tommy Haas! :hearts:

I saw him a few years ago in Washington live lose to I believe it was Gonzalez and while he didn't play THAT well Tommy has a great spirit to see live in the flesh
cool guy

heya
03-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Got to hurt federina that he lost to Haas, but everyone
else beat Haas the oldest top talent from the 1990s.

n8
03-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Nice choice of ranking cut off as Haas finished at #21 last year.

nolesfan2011
03-28-2013, 03:44 PM
of course he will, in fact he will be top 10 after the clay season (simply for playing in events he did not play in last year). Now he has lots of points to defend on summer hard courts but if he can do better in the slams he can make up the points there (especially US Open)

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 03:49 PM
of course he will, in fact he will be top 10 after the clay season (simply for playing in events he did not play in last year). Now he has lots of points to defend on summer hard courts but if he can do better in the slams he can make up the points there (especially US Open)

ahmm this thread was created year ago, was just bringing it back for few points pass on. ;)

Burrow
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Here's me jumping the gun: If Haas manages to win the tournament (which I can't see happening, because it would be too good to be true) he will be well inside the top 8 in the race. Wouldn't it be nice to qualify for his first YEC at the age of 35? :)

Realistically, I think he will finish somewhere around the 20 mark, which is a tremendous effort in itself. It is way too early to speculate, but I think it would be one of the biggest achievements in his entire career.

Lugburz
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Here's me jumping the gun: If Haas manages to win the tournament (which I can't see happening, because it would be too good to be true) he will be well inside the top 8 in the race. Wouldn't it be nice to qualify for his first YEC at the age of 35? :)

Realistically, I think he will finish somewhere around the 20 mark, which is a tremendous effort in itself. It is way too early to speculate, but I think it would be one of the biggest achievements in his entire career.

He'll be inside top20 even if he doesn't win this tournament. That's most definitely. Most likely even inside top15.

I'd say realistically, he can be #10 by the end of the year. BUT IF he wins this somehow, he will only have 100pts less from Tipsarevic and 150pts from Gasquet, which mean realistically he can get to #8, considering his bad Wimbly and USO result last year,

so yes qualifying for YEC would be awesome. ;)