Del Potro will storm the 2013 season | Official Delpo Bandwagon [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Del Potro will storm the 2013 season | Official Delpo Bandwagon

finishingmove
07-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Just leaving this thread to bump it later.

Feel free to share your predictions.

He's currently #6 in the race, and will probably end the year #6 (currently ranked #9). I expect a further rise in the rankings next year.

nastoff
07-21-2012, 04:32 PM
define "storm"...a couple of QF slam appearances would be pretty solid.

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 04:34 PM
He should finish this year #5 or 6 at worse.

And define 'storm'. If by storm you mean compete to win another Slam and continue to rise up the rankings, then yes. If you mean dominate the tour, then no.

finishingmove
07-21-2012, 04:35 PM
define "storm"...a couple of QF slam appearances would be pretty solid.

By that I mean he will break the GS triopoly of the top 3, winning at least 1 GS next year.

Lazyking
07-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Whenever someone makes these type of threads you better hope that you're right or its gonna be brought up repeatedly lol.

A slam win and two Slam SF would be a Del Potro storm.

TigerTim
are you ossie?

emotion
He should finish this year #5 or 6 at worse.

And define 'storm'. If by storm you mean compete to win another Slam and continue to rise up the rankings, then yes. If you mean dominate the tour, then no.

Maybe 6, but how the hell does he get to 5?
He's over 1000 points behind Murray, who is 400 points behind Ferrer (though Ferrer missed USO swing with injury 2 of last 4 years)

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Maybe 6, but how the hell does he get to 5?
He's over 1000 points behind Murray, who is 400 points behind Ferrer (though Ferrer missed USO swing with injury 2 of last 4 years)

By gaining 1400 points on Ferrer during the American hardcourt season + indoor season.

By that I mean he will break the GS triopoly of the top 3, winning at least 1 GS next year.

This sounds fair. Not very bold though, a player of Del Potro's ability is kind of expected to get a second Slam at some point especially given how unbelievably well he's come back from surgery. Definitely could happen next year.

Federer in 2
07-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Del Potro will not win another Slam in his career. That's obvious.
I also think he will decline pretty early. About Masters 1000, the chances go like this IMO:

Won't win any Masters before retirement : 60%.
Will win 1 MS tourney before retirement: 39%.
Will win 2 or more MS tourneys before retirement: 1%.

There are right now 5 players who are clearly better than him. Year-end #6 for Delpo is kinda optimistic, but possible. Berdych should end this year as #6 IMO, unless he fucks up like the last month and a half. My prediction is that JMDP and JWT will fight for #7. Probably (and hopefully!) Del Potro will edge it.

Slams in 2013: 3 QFs and one 4th round exit.

finishingmove
07-21-2012, 04:55 PM
I also think he will decline pretty early. About Masters 1000, the chances go like this IMO:

There are right now 5 players who are clearly better than him. Year-end #6 for Delpo is kinda optimistic, but possible. Berdych should end this year as #6 IMO, unless he fucks up like the last month and a half. My prediction is that JMDP and JWT will fight for #7. Probably (and hopefully!) Del Potro will edge it.

I'll give you three players that will be ranked higher in twelve months than they are now:

Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro.

gaitare
07-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Yes.

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 05:05 PM

If you don't mind me asking, who are those players?

And your prediction is extremely bold. Predicting the best player in the world under 25 years of age (by like a huge distance) has 0 chance to win another Slam? Either you know of some prodigy kid about to emerge, you believe the current top players will last far longer than usual or I dunno. But I seriously doubt you'd put your money where your mouth is anyway.

Moozza
07-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Didn't he just get completely demolished by Ferrer at Wimbledon?

finishingmove
07-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Ferrer is a bad matchup for him and I think JMDP wasn't 100% at Wimbledon.

Also, worth noting that Ferrer is having a very good season this year.

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Yes, he did. Which would be relevant if the OP had predicted him to storm Wimbledon 2012

Matt01
07-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Personally, I doubt it but I'd be happy to see win 1 or 2 big titles next year :D

Yes, he did. Which would be relevant if the OP had predicted him to storm Wimbledon 2012

Well, Wimbledon will be part of the 2013 season.

Gagsquet
07-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Is this a contest with gaitare for the funniest thread around ?

Moozza
07-21-2012, 05:27 PM

It is relevant as it shows where he is currently at. Yes Ferrer is in the form of his life but it still shows how far off Potro is of the required level to get to #5.

Federer in 2
If you don't mind me asking, who are those players?

And your prediction is extremely bold. Predicting the best player in the world under 25 years of age (by like a huge distance) has 0 chance to win another Slam? Either you know of some prodigy kid about to emerge, you believe the current top players will last far longer than usual or I dunno. But I seriously doubt you'd put your money where your mouth is anyway.

The 5 players are:
1.Roger Federer
2.Novak Djokovic
3.Rafael Nadal
4.Andy Murray
5.David Ferrer :bowdown:

Let's be patient for a couple of months and see who does better :)

I'll give you three players that will be ranked higher in twelve months than they are now:

Djokovic? I think he and Federer will be the top 2, maybe like 1000 points ahead of Nadal, because Rafa is expected to miss a couple of big tourneys now. as for #1, Fedole 50%-50%.

Murray? I hope so, but I doubt it. I think he needs a Slam to get ahead of Rafa.

Del Potro? Higher than his current ranking (9), but not higher than his ranking at the race from January (6).

It's relevant :shrug:
This is probably Juan's worst surface, but same thing goes for Ferrer. David is a better player right now.

Mark Lenders
Personally, I doubt it but I'd be happy to see win 1 or 2 big titles next year :D

Well, Wimbledon will be part of the 2013 season.

One big title would be enough. Seeing him win another Slam after having wrist surgery and all the struggles he's endured would be like the best moment ever. I'm not going to predict when and where or even if; when he had surgery I thought he might never be a top player again, so I'm just happy he's up there again and playing good tennis. Won't be disappointed if he never wins again, just extremely happy if he does.

And yes, Wimbledon is part of the 2013 season but JMDP will never be great on grass, don't think he will ever have a chance to win Wimbledon. He should reach QF once tho and completely his QF set.

juan77
07-21-2012, 05:31 PM
It would be nice to see him re-emerge as a force to be reckoned with but I don't have high hopes of that happening. No matter what happens, his epic run at USO 2009 will be the highlight of his career.

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
The 5 players are:
1.Roger Federer
2.Novak Djokovic
3.Rafael Nadal
4.Andy Murray

:superlol:

http://jt-assets.tennmandigital.com/assets/2036/original/delPotro.jpg?1274506020

I suppose the corresponding images for Murray and Ferrer were just all censored, that's the only explanation.

BTW, Ferrer is having his best season ever, but Juan will probably still finish ahead of him. A decent hardcourt + indoor season should be enough to gain 1400 points on Ferrer, especially since Ferrer has run out of 'vulture' events. Even if Ferrer does finish ahead tho, not even a hater can believe JMDP doesn't have far more upside.

Moozza
07-21-2012, 05:37 PM

http://jt-assets.tennmandigital.com/assets/2036/original/delPotro.jpg?1274506020

I suppose the corresponding images for Murray and Ferrer were just all censored, that's the only explanation.

BTW, Ferrer is having his best season ever, but Juan will probably still finish ahead of him. A decent hardcourt + indoor season should be enough to gain 1400 points on Ferrer, especially since Ferrer has run out of 'vulture' events. Even if Ferrer does finish ahead tho, not even a hater can believe JMDP doesn't have far more upside.

So you don't agree that Murray is a top4 player?

Litotes
07-21-2012, 05:37 PM

I am not sure who this is obvious. The players you are referring to as better are older than him. He is miles ahead of anyone his own age or younger. Murray and Djokovic is not much older, true, but still I can easily see DelPo having chances of winning in the future. Surely not all Americans (North and South) winning US Open at 20 can be destined to remain one slam wonders....

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 05:41 PM
So you don't agree that Murray is a top4 player?

I agree that he deserves to ranked in the top 4, and after watching the Wimbledon final I believe he can get his Slam title at some point. But he hasn't yet.

MTF has this bizarre habit of trashing 'one Slam wonders' and hyping up talented (or even untalented Ferrer's case) players who are close but never win one to ridiculous extents. Seems like having 0 Slams and repeatedly failing in the biggest moments gives you better fame around here than having won 'only' one.

Federer in 2
07-21-2012, 05:41 PM

So? He won a slam. Someone who won a Slam doesn't necessarily has a better career than someone who hasn't. Slams are not everything. It's the biggest thing there is to achieve, but at some point multiple other titles and finals can stack up to one GS.

4 Slam Finals and 8 Masters titles are a way bigger achievement that one Slam victory. :shrug:

As for Ferrer, his career achievements don't stack up to Delpo's USO, but right now he is just a better Tennis player.

Allez
07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Epic thread this :yeah:

MuzzahLovah
07-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Yep.
He's actually been destroyed by Ferrer on HC this year as well in Miami.

finishingmove
07-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Yep.
He's actually been destroyed by Ferrer on HC this year as well in Miami.

Bad matchup and Del Potro not at his best, while Ferrer is having one of his best seasons, as said already...

Let's see in a couple of months. Ferrer will no doubt be burnt out and Del Potro will continue to rise. I predict his return to the top 5 at the very least.

He's been flying under the radar now, everyone seems to be forgetting about him. Truth is, he's having a pretty good comeback.

He will be 25 next year, should be hitting his peak, health-permitting.

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 06:01 PM
lol, every time tennis stops for a few weeks people hype Del Pony, then the tennis starts and pony gets his ass whipped, most recently by the so called "vulture" Ferru, on his worst surface :haha:. Del Pony fan's aren't around then to make stupid predictions then.

bouncer7
07-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Ferrer >>> Delpo

Ferrer >>>>>>>>> Safin

finishingmove
07-21-2012, 06:09 PM
lol, every time tennis stops for a few weeks people hype Del Pony, then the tennis starts and pony gets his ass whipped, most recently by the so called "vulture" Ferru, on his worst surface :haha:. Del Pony fan's aren't around then to make stupid predictions then.

Did you start watching tennis in 2012 or what? :facepalm:

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 06:12 PM
So? He won a slam. Someone who won a Slam doesn't necessarily has a better career than someone who hasn't. Slams are not everything. It's the biggest thing there is to achieve, but at some point multiple other titles and finals can stack up to one GS.

4 Slam Finals and 8 Masters titles are a way bigger achievement that one Slam victory. :shrug:

As for Ferrer, his career achievements don't stack up to Delpo's USO, but right now he is just a better Tennis player.

Not even Murray believes that. Grand Slam are the epitome of tennis achievement. Every player who never won one would trade his accolades for one, even Murray. In fact, especially Murray, who's under more pressure to get that elusive Slam than anyone else.

Let's see in a couple of months. Ferrer will no doubt be burnt out and Del Potro will continue to rise. I predict his return to the top 5 at the very least.

He's been flying under the radar now, everyone seems to be forgetting about him. Truth is, he's having a pretty good comeback.

He will be 25 next year, should be hitting his peak, health-permitting.

True. Ferrer has proved his inconsistency before; I remember he had a decent run for a few months in 2007/2008 and then quickly left the top 20. When things are going well for him, he can go on a consistent run (without any big results though), but you can always trust it not to last much.

lol, every time tennis stops for a few weeks people hype Del Pony, then the tennis starts and pony gets his ass whipped, most recently by the so called "vulture" Ferru, on his worst surface . Del Pony fan's aren't around then to make stupid predictions then.

A Murray fan should be the last person to write stuff like this. How long has Murray been predicted to win a Slam? "Oh he will definitely win a Slam this year (for the past 4 or 5 years". "Oh he will definitely win the next Slam." :rolleyes:

At least, even if he retires today, Del Potro has already delivered on his promise by actually getting a Slam. He's no longer a promise, he has already delivered.

TigerTim
07-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Did you start watching tennis in 2012 or what? :facepalm:

1912 my friend, my friends call be Bill ;) :wavey:

rocketassist
07-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Ferrer >>> Delpo

Ferrer >>>>>>>>> Safin

:eek:

Mark Lenders
07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Ferrer >>> Delpo

Ferrer >>>>>>>>> Safin

:lol:

Even today, Marat would probably take pusher Ferrer to the cleaners :p

Why do you like Ferrer anyway? You dislike Federer and his era, yet you seem to like the player who bends over for Federer more than anyone else?

HKz
07-21-2012, 07:04 PM
He'll just be a dark horse sadly. Unless he magically finds some confidence again and improve that serve which has turned to shit again, he really won't do shit at the slams. I mean I think like half the reason why he was successful in 2009 was because of his huge improvement on the serve. He doesn't naturally have a great serve despite his height, but it became a very formidable weapon in 2009 allowing him a lot of free points and now it has become very poor again, or certainly at least not 2009 status.

Jovard
07-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Wasn't he supposed to storm in 2012 already? :confused: At least that is what his tards told after he won some weak MM tournament :shrug:

Paylu2007
07-21-2012, 10:38 PM

This.

He won a slam on 2009. Welcome to 2012.. almost 2013 now.. :wavey:

Looner
07-21-2012, 10:39 PM
So nowadays finishing #5 is considered storming. OK....

Paylu2007
07-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Ferrer >>> Delpo

Ferrer >>>>>>>>> Safin

Obvious attempt to troll here. A really fail one btw.

Though I agree David is better than Jenny.

paseo
07-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Come on, Man. He can't even beat Ferrer. He ain't storming anything.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Maybe storm isn't the right word, but he should be the next man to win a Slam apart from the Djokovic, Nadal and Federer monopoly.

Del Potro at his best form is the most equipped man to do so.

Slice Winner
07-22-2012, 01:29 AM
By gaining 1400 points on Ferrer during the American hardcourt season + indoor season.

This sounds fair. Not very bold though, a player of Del Potro's ability is kind of expected to get a second Slam at some point especially given how unbelievably well he's come back from surgery. Definitely could happen next year.

It's pretty bold based on his GS results this season.

Honestly
07-22-2012, 01:48 AM
are you ossie?

Double account.

Honestly
07-22-2012, 01:57 AM
He better make his move in 2013. He's been a shadow of the player that saw him win the USO. It's almost been three years ffs.

swisht4u
07-22-2012, 02:10 AM
No telling what will happen.
DelPo may bust out at anytime.

He has a few areas he needs:

The forehand and the serve.

If those two are working then he'll be a threat and after that the rest will take care of itself, endurance, movement etc.

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 03:02 AM
possibly. the sad part is that a one dimensional ball basher storming the season isn't the worst thing to happen to the sport in recent years.

MTwEeZi
07-22-2012, 03:07 AM
The four-named man will rise

Nole Rules
07-22-2012, 03:12 AM

Well said, general MTwEeZi.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 03:18 AM
possibly. the sad part is that a one dimensional ball basher storming the season isn't the worst thing to happen to the sport in recent years.

Of course it's not the worst thing, because it's not a bad thing at all, well on the contrary. Del Potro rising again and possibly even higher than he did back in the day would be great for tennis.

He's one dimensional, I'll give you that; but that dimension is great - unmatched power off both wings. It surely beats having guys whose only dimension is the ability to run a marathon on a tennis court in the top 5, no?

abraxas21
07-22-2012, 03:23 AM
not really my style. i'd much prefer murray doing better than del potro. he might have a lousy forehand but has way more variety, imo.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 03:30 AM
No argument there, but then again most players do have more variety than Del Potro.

JMDP isn't exactly known for his variety, but for his metronomic power hitting.

finishingmove
07-22-2012, 04:27 AM
So nowadays finishing #5 is considered storming. OK....

If someone other than Nadal, Djokovic, Federer won a slam it would be a huge thing.

Fed fordawin
07-22-2012, 09:32 AM
What can DP do except hit hard in the middle? Hardly enough against the top 4. He might beat one of them at a slam, but he won't beat two, which is a necessity to win a slam.

LocoPorElTenis
07-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Realistically Del Potro might, I repeat might, challenge for slams in a couple of years when Nadal and Federer are no longer a force, provided he stays healthy (big if). As a fan I'll be happy if he keeps getting to QFs of big tournies with the occasional SF.

TigerTim
07-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Novak Djokovic Two.Zero has already risen

sexybeast
07-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Needs to avoid Federer, that is all.

Djokovic aswell, Murray too I think and maybe Ferrer aswell.

superslam77
07-22-2012, 12:40 PM
del potro is ok though his uso win was a bit of a fluke let's be honest.

i mean murray,soderling,tsonga,berdych are better players but didn't do it.

he just got lucky.

finishingmove
07-22-2012, 12:58 PM

he just got lucky.

He was better than Federer in that final. That's what I saw.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 02:52 PM

he just got lucky.

Because none of them is really a better player than Del Potro.

Raiden
07-22-2012, 03:01 PM
define "storm"...He will return to his rightful position: the top 4..... where he already belonged once upon a time, before being afflicted by a nightmarish ghoulish impairment.

Looner
07-22-2012, 04:02 PM
If someone other than Nadal, Djokovic, Federer won a slam it would be a huge thing.

Indeed, it will. However, I am not overly optimistic he will win a slam in 2013. I think RG may be his best chance (may sound a bit stupid for his later on lol), provided it's nice and sunny like in 2009 and he finds his form and is not injured. A lot of ifs but winning a slam nowadays is never easy except for Novak and Rafito.

TigerTim
07-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Your pants are on fire.

Slade
07-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I would love it to happen but Sir Del Potro has work to do.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Your pants are on fire.

I like Tsonga just as much as I like JMDP, and Soderling and Berdych are also among my favorite players. But none of them is a better player than Del Potro or has the same potential to achieve things in this era as Juan. It is no anomaly that JMDP has a Slam and those three haven't: he's simply capable of hitting with a kind of destructive power and metronomic consistency that those three aren't.

I actually Tsonga is more talented but he's not a better player because (a) he lost all his formative years due to injuries (explaining for instance his backhand woes) and (b) he was born a few years too late, his all-out attacking game wasn't made for the current conditions.

Indeed, it will. However, I am not overly optimistic he will win a slam in 2013. I think RG may be his best chance (may sound a bit stupid for his later on lol), provided it's nice and sunny like in 2009 and he finds his form and is not injured. A lot of ifs but winning a slam nowadays is never easy except for Novak and Rafito.

RG and USO will always be his best chances, clay and fast hardcourts is where he plays his best tennis.

The AO courts are too slow, they are made for Nadal, Murray and Djokovic to engage in 6-hour grindathons. JMDP could have a chance, but it ain't likely. Wimbledon, no chance, he moves like an elephant on ice on the grass.

Moozza
07-22-2012, 04:12 PM

They are all clearly better than Potro, apart from Berdych.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 04:18 PM
They are all clearly better than Potro, apart from Berdych.

Based on what exactly? Del Potro is younger than all of them by a distance and yet has achieved more in the sport (despite surgery), he also dominates three of those four in head-to-head (the exception being Murray).

rocketassist
07-22-2012, 04:26 PM
US Open seems the only slam tailor made for him that's the problem. If he doesn't break through beating a top 3 or 4 player in New York in September, where else will he? AO is slow and favours grinders, RG is Rafito's backyard and his grass deficiencies were exposed by Ferrer.

TigerTim
07-22-2012, 04:29 PM
I like Tsonga just as much as I like JMDP, and Soderling and Berdych are also among my favorite players. But none of them is a better player than Del Potro or has the same potential to achieve things in this era as Juan. It is no anomaly that JMDP has a Slam and those three haven't: he's simply capable of hitting with a kind of destructive power and metronomic consistency that those three aren't.

I actually Tsonga is more talented but he's not a better player because (a) he lost all his formative years due to injuries (explaining for instance his backhand woes) and (b) he was born a few years too late, his all-out attacking game wasn't made for homogenised surfaces..

:worship: GOAT response. You are like a politician! :lol: But Murray is better than Del Potro. :yeah:

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 04:46 PM
:worship: GOAT response. You are like a politician! :lol: But Murray is better than Del Potro. :yeah:

And Murray might be the better player right now definitely, but not the greater player overall, he will only be that if/when he gets his maiden Slam (assuming that happens before JMDP wins more).

US Open seems the only slam tailor made for him that's the problem. If he doesn't break through beating a top 3 or 4 player in New York in September, where else will he? AO is slow and favours grinders, RG is Rafito's backyard and his grass deficiencies were exposed by Ferrer.

Roland Garros is actually a better surface for him than USO imo, he has played some of his best tennis there. That he has a USO title and not a FO one is purely down to circumstances - getting a bit lucky vs Federer in USO final and unlucky/poor fitness in FO semi basically.

JMan22
07-22-2012, 06:40 PM
It all depends on what storm is supposed to mean. You've said by winning a GS but I think storm would be the way Djokovic played during 2011, for example.

I do think that if he can stay injury free he can look forward to a good next year or so though. I think he's a darkhorse for this upcoming USO, but I can definitely see him winning one of the two hard court GS's, unless Djokovic is playing unbelievable tennis in which case he'll win them. I'd also expect him to be able to get back to at least 5th in the rankings. I don't see him storming the GS's but I think he'll have an excellent season, again depending on how he copes with injuries.

dencod16
07-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Cause your posts are so relevant.

dencod16
07-22-2012, 08:24 PM
i think his breakthrough will be more coming down to the 5 guys ahead of him. i just dont so it for now happening.

The Fearhand
07-22-2012, 08:26 PM

I like JMDP but he's not better than Murray imo...sorry.

dencod16
07-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Yeah cause Ferrer has won more points in the 8 biggest events so far this year than del Potro.

nastoff
07-22-2012, 08:34 PM
He will return to his rightful position: the top 4..... where he already belonged once upon a time, before being afflicted by a nightmarish ghoulish impairment.

I can't see him overtaking Murray anytime soon...Murray's got his number ever since that injury in Rome. So no 5 is a more realistic proposition.

Murray always seems to be doing well against aggressive pushers such as DelPo and Cilic.

Mark Lenders
07-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I can't see him overtaking Murray anytime soon...Murray's got his number ever since that injury in Rome. So no 5 is a more realistic proposition.

Murray always seems to be doing well against aggressive pushers such as DelPo and Cilic.

This makes no sense. Berdych kind of has Murray's number and that doesn't mean he will overtake him in the rankings.

swisht4u
07-22-2012, 09:11 PM

he just got lucky.

No one that takes down Nadal and Federer is lucky, especially on the biggest stage.

Just being able to stand there in the final against Federer without breaking down mentally in any way has to be appreciated.

In the fifth set DelPo was rock solid, he had plenty of time to think about where he was and how important it was.
A beautiful display of ball bashing at the highest level and mental tenacity.

Watch that fifth set again if you have the chance.

Raiden
07-22-2012, 10:07 PM

Murray always seems to be doing well against aggressive pushers such as DelPo and Cilic.Murray is up and down. I remember he slipped down to 5th behind Soderling on few occasions (until the Swede permanently got out of the way due to mono) so I suspect if Soderling can ruffle Murray, Delpo can do more.

kidbourbon
07-23-2012, 12:56 AM
The 5 players are:
1.Roger Federer
2.Novak Djokovic
3.Rafael Nadal
4.Andy Murray

JMDP is a better tennis player than Ferrer. He can take his game to an extra gear that Ferrer simply doesn't have.

kidbourbon
07-23-2012, 12:59 AM
What can DP do except hit hard in the middle? Hardly enough against the top 4. He might beat one of them at a slam, but he won't beat two, which is a necessity to win a slam.

You didn't really think this one through before you wrote it, did you ?

tealeaves
07-23-2012, 01:00 AM
I just hope he can stay injury free and win a 500/M1000 title. We then see if he can win his 2nd slam

kidbourbon
07-23-2012, 01:02 AM

he just got lucky.

You clearly didn't watch any of those matches. He gave Nadal one of the worst beatdowns Nadal has ever received. And then that 5th set against Federer was just an absolute thing of beauty. I could barely believe what I was seeing.

He was the best player in that tournament in 2009. That's not lucky, and that's not a fluke.

kidbourbon
07-23-2012, 01:04 AM

What is an aggressive pusher?

kidbourbon
07-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Ferrer >>>>>>>>> Safin

At what? Golf? Tapestry? Woodworking?

Surely you didn't mean tennis.

E-r-i-c
07-23-2012, 01:56 AM
His US Open is lucky but no one will admit that.
If Roger plays like USO 2008 Final, could he win?
Rafa is just coming back from injury, otherwise could he win?
Besides federer defeats Djoker and Cilic ousts Murray which two has positive record upon JMDP. He is just lucky.

Mark Lenders
07-23-2012, 02:04 AM
His US Open is lucky but no one will admit that

Because it's not true.

No. Because if Roger had played at that level it'd have meant JMDP would not have put him under enough pressure/uncomfortable enough on court to get the win.

Rafa is just coming back from injury, otherwise could he win?

Yes

Besides federer defeats Djoker and Cilic ousts Murray which two has positive record upon JMDP. He is just lucky.

This makes no sense; Nole had a positive record against him, but Federer had an even more positive record, how exactly was Delpo lucky?

I suppose Nadal was lucky to win FO 2007, as Federer took out Davydenko - who has a positive record against Rafa - for him in the semis, eh?

rocketassist
07-23-2012, 03:17 AM
Murray is up and down. I remember he slipped down to 5th behind Soderling on few occasions (until the Swede permanently got out of the way due to mono) so I suspect if Soderling can ruffle Murray, Delpo can do more.

Soderling's game style is a lot more awkward for a guy like Murray than Del Potro who is very much the same all the time- hitting hard down the middle, whereas Soda can have days where he's hitting line after line as Nadal will testify and if he's doing that, it's out of Andy's hands.

finishingmove
07-23-2012, 03:33 AM
His US Open is lucky but no one will admit that.

Oh and didn't Federer have the chance to "play like 2008" in 2009 ? I'm guessing he tried and failed. You know why ? Let me explain. Murray shat his pants and gave Federer complete control of the match. Del Potro showed him who is boss, nothing less.

Demolishing a double figures Grand Slam champion in a fifth set of a GS final sure is luck.

Maybe Federer had mononucleosis.

finishingmove
07-23-2012, 03:34 AM
And I agree that RG is a good slam for JMDP. The high bounce suits him, similar to Soderling.

Slice Winner
07-23-2012, 03:52 AM
Soderling's game style is a lot more awkward for a guy like Murray than Del Potro who is very much the same all the time- hitting hard down the middle, whereas Soda can have days where he's hitting line after line as Nadal will testify and if he's doing that, it's out of Andy's hands.

This is a thing of beauty.
wdlcnZ6yu7k

Mark Lenders
07-23-2012, 03:58 AM
Oh and didn't Federer have the chance to "play like 2008" in 2009 ? I'm guessing he tried and failed. You know why ? Let me explain. Murray shat his pants and gave Federer complete control of the match. Del Potro showed him who is boss, nothing less.

Demolishing a double figures Grand Slam champion in a fifth set of a GS final sure is luck.

Maybe Federer had mononucleosis.

This.

And I agree that RG is a good slam for JMDP. The high bounce suits him, similar to Soderling.

Clay is his best surface imo, not only because of the bounce. He moves very well on it and has time to unload his massive grounstrokes. I'd love to see him fully healthy and in form take on Rafa at Roland Garros. Their titanic battle in DC in Spain last year was an indication that Juan can trouble/defeat Rafa on clay, but JMDP's fitness was pretty bad at the time. Would love to see that matchup again on the clay of Roland Garros with Juan fully fit (and Rafa too of course).

Fedfanforever
07-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Del Potro needs to work on his fitness and get his serve back to his old level.

JMan22
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
This whole luck thing is nonsense. Del Potro was brilliant back in the 2009 USO and fully deserved to win the tournament. Had it been Federer or Nadal who'd played like that during the tournament we'd be raving about their performance.

incube
07-24-2012, 08:09 PM
He was very good at RG this year. He can be dangerous even this year in OPEN USA.
I like more his chances to be the player who will broke the top3 about winning GS, more than any other like Murray or whatever.

Thanos
08-04-2012, 12:27 AM
typical serb/war criminal this finishingmove not knowing what he talking about. federer going to win the grand slam in 2013.

Parera_Starr10
08-04-2012, 12:47 AM
He could dominate the North American hard-courts next year. He should go deep at RG barring injury an then of course the fast hard-courts of the Us Open could bring major number 2. Which would be awesome to see.

cutesteve22
08-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Hope so.

blank_frackis
08-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Federer has beaten him 6 times this year, so the fact that Del Potro pushed him close a couple of times isn't really that notable. A guy that loses to the same opponent 6 times in a row (actually 7 since his comeback) isn't likely to overtake him any time soon simply because a couple of the matches were close.

It's been over a year and a half since Del Potro returned and we're still waiting for this incredible leap forward - people were saying exactly the same thing this time last year and it didn't happen. At what point do we just accept that he's now a very good player, but not an elite one? His record against top 10 players in Masters/Slams this year is 1-7, with the one being Berdych at RG who's in the middle of a horrific slump.

finishingmove
08-05-2012, 02:43 PM
All aboard!

BroTree123
08-05-2012, 02:48 PM
USO is a lock :rocker2:

LaFuria
08-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Be afraid, JMDP can play on grass now.:cool:

LastRocket
08-05-2012, 02:50 PM
USO is a lock :rocker2:

yes! Vamos!! :rocker2:

Mark Lenders
08-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Hope his Olympics semifinal and bronze match have reminded some people of what an awesome player JMDP is and can be. He definitely doesn't need to fear the top players. when he is in top condition, he is one of them.

Only injuries have derailed him and hopefully that's past him now :)

BroTree123
08-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm serious, I think he's in for a good chance this upcoming USO.

shiaben
08-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Him and Tsonga will be hanging around within the top 8 but at this point it is not about deep runs (which they've proved they can make at a consistent level), at this point it is about either one of these two grabbing a slam. Especially Tsonga who still needs a slam.

Xristos
10-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Mark my words.

GOATsol
10-28-2012, 03:15 PM
I look forward to it :)

GSMnadal
10-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah. He won't.

Xristos
10-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah. He won't.

Just mark my words.

Punky
i have no idea if he will or wont but why ur so Confident?

Nole Rules
Watch him get injured badly now.

GSMnadal
10-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Just mark my words.

Why are you so sure he can beat one of the top 4, nevermind 2 or 3. Absolutely no signs of that.

Xristos
10-28-2012, 03:18 PM
i have no idea if he will or wont but why ur so Confident?

When he is on he can beat anyone!

swebright
10-28-2012, 03:19 PM
He has to overcome Nole and Murray; which still won't be easy. He may be able to beat the oldman Federer, but .....

Hewitt =Legend
10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
If he doesn't it will be because he had wrist surgery 3 years ago. Or so someone will say...

Punky
10-28-2012, 03:22 PM

im sorry i love delpo but ur talking about 2009 martin who Beat fed and rafa in the same slam.

about winning anyone when he is on amm i think u can say that about fed also or murray (Except clay)

latso
10-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Him looking very good indoors against mostly mugs doesn't make him a sure GS winner.

And Nadal will be back next year, so it would be close to impossible for anyone else but the top 4 winning a slam next year.

I agree though that if anyone would it would be Pony. But won't happen

Sanya
10-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Some posters think that the whole MTF is intrested in their opinion in any question and threads for them compulsory must be created.

Amazing arrogance. Why just not to write it in Delpo`s thread.

finishingmove
10-28-2012, 03:32 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=206745&highlight=

finishingmove
10-28-2012, 03:33 PM
sup homies

sexybeast
10-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Players like Berdych and Delpo only look very good against Federer, the reason is that he is 31 year old and cant defend them into oblivion like the likes of Nadal, Murray and Djokovic.

So unless Murray and Djokovic really lose one step in their defense next year and Nadal simply cant come back as the same he used to be, power players will come short against the great defenders of the top 4.

arm
10-28-2012, 03:42 PM

So can Tsonga and Berdych. Will these two win a slam as well?

sexybeast
10-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Once again, Federer not beeing able to defend against Delpo doesnt equal the same beeing true for Murray and Djokovic.

Federer in 2
10-28-2012, 03:44 PM
No he won't. next.

IOFH
10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Nope. I'd hope he would though.

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
He definitely could. The keys are remaining healthy and avoiding Federer in draws (either that or finding a way to return his serve). If that happens, he is in with a chance; when healthy, he's a beast and as legitimate a top player as anyone else.

juan27
10-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Players like Berdych and Delpo only look very good against Federer, the reason is that he is 31 year old and cant defend them into oblivion like the likes of Nadal, Murray and Djokovic.

So unless Murray and Djokovic really lose one step in their defense next year and Nadal simply cant come back as the same he used to be, power players will come short against the great defenders of the top 4.

berdych only complicates roger in this last years , but delpo in a good level it`s capable to defeat any top-4 , when delpo hits very good it`s impossible to defend

Roy Emerson
10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
I think he will win a slam(USO). If not in 2013 in 2014.

Next year he ought to win at least a masters1000. 24 is the best age for players usually.

2013 will be a very interesting year with Fedal in terminal decline while the likes of Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro are in their primes.

DJ Soup
10-28-2012, 04:27 PM

Next year he ought to win at least a masters1000. 24 is the best age for players usually.

2013 will be a very interesting year with Fedal in terminal decline while the likes of Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro are in their primes.

I see RG easier for Delpo to win than the USO

sexybeast
10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
berdych only complicates roger in this last years , but delpo in a good level it`s capable to defeat any top-4 , when delpo hits very good it`s impossible to defend

Did you watch Usopen match against Djokovic?

Delpo was bombing his forehands on the both corners and Djokovic was just getting everything back, against old Federer Delpo would win the point hitting one or two of those FH bombs but Djokovic was forcing him to hit 6-7 and in the end Delpo usually broke down.

Delpo was playing as well in the 2nd and 3rd set of Usopen as he played in the first set against Federer today but with no success.

sexybeast
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM

I think Delpo will have to wait until 2014-2016 when Djokovic and Murray will lose a step on their defense. Maybe decline will start already next year but the matchup issue against them both is too great and he seriously needs to wait for both to defend less effectively.

Good thing for Delpo is that he got not many miles and could be just as great at 27-28 as at his current age of 24, if lets say his evolution as ballbasher is the same as Soderling and Berdych. Berdych and Soderling will be around 30 when Djokovic and Murray starts to decline, Delpo may still get his days to shine.

Roy Emerson
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Nah. Either Djokovic or Nadal will win RG next year.

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I think Delpo will have to wait until 2014-2016 when Djokovic and Murray will lose a step on their defense. Maybe decline will start already next year but the matchup issue against them both is too great and he seriously needs to wait for both to defend less effectively.

He can beat both of them if fit. Hell, he gave Djokovic a run for his money in New York with a bad wrist making it impossible for him to go for his BH (hence 0 BH winners), he definitely has a shot at a Slam if he can remain healthy. The two HC vs Nole this summer are hardly an indication as JMDP was playing with a bad left wrist all summer after the Olympics. He only even got to Nole because the filed below the very top lacks depth and no one could stop him despite not having a BH.

His biggest problem will remain Federer, who is a horrible matchup for him with his variety when he's playing well. Not to mention Delpo can't return Fed's serve for shit, makes Federer look like Isner on serve.

DJ Soup
10-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Nah. Either Djokovic or Nadal will win RG next year.
or Delpo

Roy Emerson
10-28-2012, 04:41 PM
or Delpo

IMO the next 2 RG will be won by Djokovic/Nadal.

Maybe in 2015-2016 when Djokovic is declining and Nadal is retired, Del Potro wins RG.

sexybeast
He can both of them if fit. Hell, he gave Djokovic a run for his money in New York with a bad wrist making it impossible for him to go for his BH (hence 0 BH winners), he definitely has a shot at a Slam if he can remain healthy. The two HC vs Nole this summer are hardly an indication as JMDP was playing with a bad left wrist all summer after the Olympics.

His biggest problem will remain Federer, who is a horrible matchup for him with his variety when he's playing well. Not to mention Delpo can't return Fed's serve for shit, makes Federer look like Isner on serve.

Delpo can only defeat Djokovic on grass where Djokovic defends terribly, Delpo cant hit backhand winners against Djokovic because Djokovic's defense is far too good to allow Delpo's predictable backhand to get past him. I have seen all of their matches and the matchupissue is all there in the open, Delpo is too predictable when attacking Djokovic to cause any problems.

He and Berdych (and Soderling) can only defeat Djokovic on grass. Tsonga can do more damage because of his superior serve.

Murray might be even worse, Murray got that variation to add pressure on Delpo.

evilmindbulgaria
Stay healthy, Delpo. A long overdue second Grand slam in 2013 is certainly a possibility.

GSMnadal
10-28-2012, 04:43 PM

:haha:

RG is the hardest to win for anyone but Nadal, no matter who the player is.

If Nadal is even remotely fit, you're lucky to get games against him

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Delpo can only defeat Djokovic on grass where Djokovic defends terribly, Delpo cant hit backhand winners against Djokovic because Djokovic's defense is far too good to allow Delpo's predictable backhand to get past him. I have seen all of their matches and the matchupissue is all there in the open, Delpo is too predictable when attacking Djokovic to cause any problems.

He and Berdych (and Soderling) can only defeat Djokovic on grass. Tsonga can do more damage because of his superior serve.

Murray might be even worse, Murray got that variation to add pressure on Delpo.

I have to disagree here. Just hope you're not using their Cincy and USO matches this year to assess this though; those matches are only proof of the field's lack of depth to even allow Delpo to reach Djokovic in the draw with a bad wrist. His serve and FH were on fire vs Nole in New York but it's not like you can beat a player of Nole's caliber when one of your groundstrokes is so diminished.

One point where I do agree with you is that Delpo's attacking patterns can be very predictable. He has improved his serve massively, which should give him a boost, but I'd like him to work on his net play and follow some of his massive shots at the net, it'd certainly help him against the best defenders in the game to be comfortable at the net. He could have caused Nole even more trouble at the USO if he had followed some of his massive FHs into the net and put them away, definitely an area where he should improve in order to win a Slam.

Sanya
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Sexybeast tells true here, you`ll see in a future that top young guys defence is a bigger issue for Delpo than Fed`s variety. Sadly must admit that Fed isn`t Delpo`s biggest problem in future - so current troubles won`t be that important soon, we won`t disscus it again relatively soon.

sexybeast
10-28-2012, 04:56 PM
I have to disagree here. Just hope you're not using their Cincy and USO matches this year to assess this though; those matches are only proof of the field's lack of depth to even allow Delpo to reach Djokovic in the draw with a bad wrist. His serve and FH were on fire vs Nole in New York but it's not like you can beat a player of Nole's caliber when one of your groundstrokes is so diminished.

One point where I do agree with you is that Delpo's attacking patterns can be very predictable. He has improved his serve massively, which should give him a boost, but I'd like him to work on his net play and follow some of his massive shots at the net, it'd certainly help him against the best defenders in the game to be comfortable at the net. He could have caused Nole even more trouble at the USO if he had followed some of his massive FHs into the net and put them away, definitely an area where he should improve in order to win a Slam.

I have watched all their matches except their first one in 2007 Usopen and that Davis Cup match where Djokovic retired. I am pretty sure I have read this matchup right, I am basing my evaluation on 6 matches. Another factor is how much better Djokovic and specially Murray puts pressure on Delpo's 2nd serve than Federer.

Saberq
10-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Djokovic owns Delpo on hard and clay.Good match up for him.And Delpo winning RG?:haha:.......if Nadal is healthy he has 90% and Novak 10% chances to win

End da Game
10-28-2012, 05:57 PM
feel free to quote me on this haters

the next time del GOATro meets either murray or djokovic, he'll win. I look forward to next week when GOATro takes out djokovic in the semis

Wing Man Frank
10-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Del Potro will never win another slam.

He needs conditions to be perfect and to be playing at his absolute best to have any chance of beating Murray or Djokovic in a 5 set match.

sexybeast
10-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Del Potro will never win another slam.

He needs conditions to be perfect and to be playing at his absolute best to have any chance of beating Murray or Djokovic in a 5 set match.

In 3 years Delpo will be 27 which is a good year for a ballbasher (like Berdych this year) while Murray and Djoko will be 28 which is a bad age for defensive players.

I wouldnt make absolute predictions like that if I was you, Delpo is the absolute best player under 25 on tour and doesnt have that many miles on his legs.

EddieNero
10-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Wake me up when Del Puto wins a M1000 or at least makes a slam final. For now he's only the MM king who enters weak tournaments.

finishingmove
10-28-2012, 07:51 PM
In 3 years Delpo will be 27 which is a good year for a ballbasher (like Berdych this year) while Murray and Djoko will be 28 which is a bad age for defensive players.

I wouldnt make absolute predictions like that if I was you, Delpo is the absolute best player under 25 on tour and doesnt have that many miles on his legs.

Nadal still has at least two more good years, and Djokovic and Murray don't share his knee problems. Djokovic is pretty light, so his knees don't have that much of a burden. That sliding and stretches are scary at times, but anyway... Djokovic can play as many years as Nadal, plus some more...

Wing Man Frank
10-28-2012, 08:26 PM

I would put considerable money on it never happening.

He will never beat 2 of the top four back to back. He would need the draw to open up perfectly for him to have any chance whatsoever.

Enjoy watching him, but he's a huge outsider to ever win another GS title.

Eddy DoubleD
10-28-2012, 08:30 PM
He will never beat 2 of the top four back to back. He would need the draw to open up perfectly for him to have any chance whatsoever.

:facepalm: He already did it. :facepalm:

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Wake me up when Del Puto wins a M1000 or at least makes a slam final. For now he's only the MM king who enters weak tournaments.

Yeah, like the weak tournament he won today beating some obscure unknown mug in the final.

I have watched all their matches except their first one in 2007 Usopen and that Davis Cup match where Djokovic retired. I am pretty sure I have read this matchup right, I am basing my evaluation on 6 matches. Another factor is how much better Djokovic and specially Murray puts pressure on Delpo's 2nd serve than Federer.

I guess we'll have to wait and see who is correct here. As a JMDP fan, I'd like to see Djokovic or Murray in his draw over Federer any day of the week, any surface. Besides, he hasn't peaked yet, I expect him to do so soon, 24 is usually a good age for tennis player so look forward to see how he plays next year.

Remind me again Federer and Nadal's ranking back in 2009? There's no top 4 combination more challenging than Federer and Nadal and Delpo did it. If he can be fit and healthy, he will definitely fancy his chances at another Slam title.

Well, let's not allow facts to get in the way of perfectly good hatred, shall we ;)?

The Prince
10-28-2012, 08:36 PM
He ain't gonna win slams any time soon, that will be at least a year before he has a genuine chance. This is his first non-250 title since his comeback, I believe, so give the guy a break and stop heaping pressure on his shoulders.

His next aim should be to win a M1000 title, a first in his career in fact.

You have to sympathise with Delpo, though. What might have been different without the injury?

Sent from my iPad using VS Free

sexybeast
10-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Nadal still has at least two more good years, and Djokovic and Murray don't share his knee problems. Djokovic is pretty light, so his knees don't have that much of a burden. That sliding and stretches are scary at times, but anyway... Djokovic can play as many years as Nadal, plus some more...

No one knows if Nadal got anything left in him at all. Djokovic had clearly a decline year this year and I doubt he will be better next year. Still good enought to beat Delpo, but no one who has played so much top tennis as Djokovic is as good at 28 as at 25, he will decline the coming 3 years and the only question is how much.

Murray seems to be peaking a bit later and got less miles on his body, he will maybe be Delpo's greatest obstacle in 2-3 years.

Eddy DoubleD
10-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Well, let's not allow facts to get in the way of perfectly good hatred, shall we ;)?

This should be the first law of MTF:lol:

MaxPower
10-28-2012, 08:45 PM

You mean like he's already done? then you add the secret word: again

I already hold him as one of the top5 favorites for WTF and for all 4 slams next season. Considering Nadal's situation Delpo is a better bet than him for next season slams (as it looks today)

Todays match in Basel also clearly showed Fed will have his hands full in 2013. Djokovic? well who knows. Appearently Olympics was a huge goal for Novak this season and there Delpo took his medal.

You'd have to be blind or in denial to not see that Delpo is building up momentum. Next year who knows?

Fed fordawin
10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Well done DP! Too bad you're a one trick pony and will never win a slam again!:wavey:
DP fans will rave on his next victory against Federer, that should come in 5 or 6 matches:worship:

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 08:49 PM
This should be the first law of MTF:lol:

Indeed :lol:

After beating Fed and Nadal back to back at 20 and his astonishing comeback from wrist surgery (+several injuries), I'll put no limits to what Juan can do. I just hope his body gives him a break so he can translate his talent and ability into results.

It's great that he's beating the top guys again and will be in the WTF after all he's been through, but let's hope he can do even more as he's capable :yeah:

Wing Man Frank
10-28-2012, 08:51 PM

He has he done it since? Has he ever looked like doing it since? Can't believe I needed to add the word again. I thought on the basis that he'd done it previously it'd be pretty fucking obvious that I meant again.

Saberq
10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
No one knows if Nadal got anything left in him at all. Djokovic had clearly a decline year this year and I doubt he will be better next year. Still good enought to beat Delpo, but no one who has played so much top tennis as Djokovic is as good at 28 as at 25, he will decline the coming 3 years and the only question is how much.

Murray seems to be peaking a bit later and got less miles on his body, he will maybe be Delpo's greatest obstacle in 2-3 years.

actually Djokovic didnt a decline year he played on a very high level...2011 cant be repeated by nobody

Wing Man Frank
10-28-2012, 08:54 PM
You mean like he's already done? then you add the secret word: again

I already hold him as one of the top5 favorites for WTF and for all 4 slams next season. Considering Nadal's situation Delpo is a better bet than him for next season slams (as it looks today)

Todays match in Basel also clearly showed Fed will have his hands full in 2013. Djokovic? well who knows. Appearently Olympics was a huge goal for Novak this season and there Delpo took his medal.

You'd have to be blind or in denial to not see that Delpo is building up momentum. Next year who knows?

A top 5 favourite at the WTF? Christ, that's impressive given there's a massive 8 participants.

Remind me again, how many Grand Slams are played on indoor hard courts?

Matt01
10-28-2012, 09:07 PM

He just beat the #1 player and he's a former Slam winner but maybe you missed all this :stupid:

Lestat
10-28-2012, 09:07 PM
:haha:

RG is the hardest to win for anyone but Nadal, no matter who the player is.

If Nadal is even remotely fit, you're lucky to get games against him

Nadull will never play again, so is the easiest GS to win for DelPo :wavey:

He has more chances to beat Fed (he should have won in 2012 in three easy sets but he chocked badly) Mugray is a complete mug on clay and is "winnable" for Del Potro there. Even when Novak reached the final this year in RG, clay is not his favourite surface. Del Potro already got a semi-final in RG (and should have reached it this year).

Hard might be the best surface for DelPo but clay is his natural place and where the top guns are not so powerful as they are in Hard.

star
10-28-2012, 09:10 PM
You know, I never like these predictions of dominance for the next year. We should all know by now that unexpected things happen in tennis. As much as everyone expected great things from DPo following his USO win, that was not to be and instead it was a couple of really tough years. Hopefully, injury is behind him, and he will do well next year.

Thanos
10-28-2012, 09:12 PM
del potro is the real goat and if he wrists hold up, he will win all four slams next year.

Mountaindewslave
10-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I think Del Potro might win AO or Roland Garros next season with his good form of late. we all know Del Potro's got the game, he's proved that in the past, but what's different now is his brain is getting better. a few different points at the US Open and he might've had a shot against Djokovic, just beat Fed (despite fed playing poorly), and we know he can knock Murray/Nadal off the court when in great form. he might pull a slam, at the very last a master

Roy Emerson
10-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Nadull will never play again, so is the easiest GS to win for DelPo :wavey:

He has more chances to beat Fed (he should have won in 2012 in three easy sets but he chocked badly) Mugray is a complete mug on clay and is "winnable" for Del Potro there. Even when Novak reached the final this year in RG, clay is not his favourite surface. Del Potro already got a semi-final in RG (and should have reached it this year).

Hard might be the best surface for DelPo but clay is his natural place and where the top guns are not so powerful as they are in Hard.

Del Potro is not beating Djokovic at RG anytime soon. RG is not played on grass but on clay where Djokovic is the best on tour after Nadal. Take Nadal out of the equation and Djokovic is the favorite at RG.:wavey:

I think Del Potro might win AO or Roland Garros next season with his good form of late. we all know Del Potro's got the game, he's proved that in the past, but what's different now is his brain is getting better. a few different points at the US Open and he might've had a shot against Djokovic, just beat Fed (despite fed playing poorly), and we know he can knock Murray/Nadal off the court when in great form. he might pull a slam, at the very last a master

Can't see Del Potro beating Djokovic on slow HC or clay.

rocketassist
10-28-2012, 09:33 PM
We'll see.

Be interesting to see if he tanks Paris now, or if he fights on and secures a first TMS title to add to his resume.

It's still going to be tough for him to win another slam as he will have to beat at least two top guys, possibly three while he's ranked 5 or lower. If he pinched the 4 spot off Nadal, things would look a lot easier for him.

Roy Emerson
10-28-2012, 09:36 PM
We'll see.

Be interesting to see if he tanks Paris now, or if he fights on and secures a first TMS title to add to his resume.

It's still going to be tough for him to win another slam as he will have to beat at least two top guys, possibly three while he's ranked 5 or lower. If he pinched the 4 spot off Nadal, things would look a lot easier for him.

Murray is a really bad matchup for Del Potro. Having to beat Nolandy to win a slam will be hard.

rocketassist
10-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Murray is a really bad matchup for Del Potro. Having to beat Nolandy to win a slam will be hard.

I could see him being a contender at the US Open, more so now Super Saturday and Sunday final are being jibbed so he won't have to play back to back.

tektonac
10-28-2012, 09:39 PM
nope, he won't (although i wouldn't mind a slam or two). however, nole and andy will.

Looner
10-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Murray is a bad match up only if he is in perfect physical shape. If Delboy can get that serve working, Murray is not going to be that tough.

nazzac
10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Del should hit huge forehands to Murray's Forehand side (if they play).

Roy Emerson
10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
I could see him being a contender at the US Open, more so now Super Saturday and Sunday final are being jibbed so he won't have to play back to back.

USO is Del Potro's best chance. At the other 3 slams it will be very hard.

Looner
10-28-2012, 09:45 PM
When they played at the WTF in 2009, it wasn't all that obvious that Murray had him in his pocket. That was on a slow court where Murray should also be favourite.

GOATsol
10-28-2012, 09:47 PM
He needs to beat Ferrer before talking about beating Murray. :shrug:

Saberq
10-28-2012, 09:48 PM
stop hyping Delpo for god sake he barely beat Fed who played like shit and choked 5 times todayh

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Del Potro's worst enemy won't be any player, but his own body. He has all the tools to win a Slam and a be a contender or #1.

His serve is far better now than it was in 2009, it's actually a weapon that can carry him through matches and he's becoming more and more comfortable at the net. All he needs is a prolonged run of good health and he should be an even bigger beast than in late 2009, able to beat any player anywhere and compete for any title (maybe bar on grass).

There's some aspects of his game that could still use some improvement, like his fitness, ROS, net game (neither of them are big liabilities but have margin for improvement), hope he works on that during the off season to be ready to make a push in 2013.

Looner
10-28-2012, 09:49 PM
It's not hyping. It's realistic. If Delpo played the Nole of the final, he'd have a chance at a second USO that Monday.

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 09:51 PM
It's not hyping. It's realistic. If Delpo played the Nole of the final, he'd have a chance at a second USO that Monday.

Del Potro is one of the best wind players, as is Federer. If either of them had won their QFs, they'd in all likelihood be the current USO champions since Murray, Djokovic and Berdych are very poor wind players.

Moozza
10-28-2012, 10:04 PM

How do we know this exactly?:confused:

DJ Soup
10-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Del Potro is one of the best wind players, as is Federer. If either of them had won their QFs, they'd in all likelihood be the current USO champions since Murray, Djokovic and Berdych are very poor wind players.

Really? I love Delpo n all, but can he handle the wind that good? I didn't know that.

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Really? I love Delpo n all, but can he handle the wind that good? I didn't know that.

His game is ideal to withstand super windy conditions: he has the power to hit through it and his shots have enough margin for him not to leak UEs left and right - which was Berdych's problem due to his high risk game.

Power and big margins on your shots are the ideal combo to play in extremely windy conditions. Unless you have an incredible array of variety like Federer, but he's a case apart.

GOATsol
10-28-2012, 10:15 PM
I thought pushers are good wind players, like murray.

rocketassist
10-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Indian Wells 2009 final.

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Remember Nadal destroying him in IW 2009 in super windy conditions. In such conditions, the ability to keep the ball in play becomes absolutely essential, but also the ability to push with power (or in Nadal's case extreme topspin) is even more important.

I think JMDP would have loved those windy conditions, he'd have been unable to unleash his powerful yet safe shots and the conditions would have made it almost impossible to outmanouever him. Federer would have loved them even more, bet he'd have straight setted both Murray and Nole had he beaten Tomas.

Wing Man Frank
10-28-2012, 10:25 PM
When Lenders is backing your cause you might as well just accept you're wrong.

GOATsol
10-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Remember Nadal destroying him in IW 2009 in super windy conditions. In such conditions, the ability to keep the ball in play becomes absolutely essential, but also the ability to push with power (or in Nadal's case extreme topspin) is even more important.

I think JMDP would have loved those windy conditions, he'd have been unable to unleash his powerful yet safe shots and the conditions would have made it almost impossible to outmanouever him. Federer would have loved them even more, bet he'd have straight setted both Murray and Nole had he beaten Tomas.
Thanks for the reply. :)

GOATsol
10-28-2012, 10:40 PM
When Lenders is backing your cause you might as well just accept you're wrong.
:confused:
He usually makes sense.

Tag
10-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Australian Open - no
Indian Wells - maybe
Miami - no
Monte Carlo - no
Rome - no
Madrid - no
French Open - no
Wimbledon - no
Toronto/Montreal - no
Cincinnati - no
US Open - maybe
Shanghai - no
Paris - no
Year End Championship no

there, done

Looner
10-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Australian Open - no
Indian Wells - maybe
Miami - no
Monte Carlo - no
Rome - no
Madrid - no
French Open - no
Wimbledon - no
Toronto/Montreal - no
Cincinnati - no
US Open - maybe
Shanghai - no
Paris - no
Year End Championship no

there, done

Yeah... How about a big fat NO to this whole post.

ciprianned
10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Storm for who ? Maybe for non-top 4 players ...

GSMnadal
10-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah... How about a big fat NO to this whole post.

So, you think he's wrong and all those no's should be yesses?

Wow, Pony fanboy

Looner
10-28-2012, 11:35 PM
So, you think he's wrong and all those no's should be yesses?

Wow, Pony fanboy

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd meet the person who can read my mind. What a glorious day this is.

To make this more clear, I don't think he can or will win all of them but I think he has a maybe at all except for Wimbledon and even there he can win if the weather is hot and the grass disappears by the time he has to play a big name. I certainly think he can maul Nadull.

GSMnadal
10-28-2012, 11:37 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd meet the person who can read my mind. What a glorious day this is.

To make this more clear, I don't think he can or will win all of them but I think he has a maybe at all except for Wimbledon and even there he can win if the weather is hot and the grass disappears by the time he has to play a big name. I certainly think he can maul Nadull.

You're a one trick pony and a broken record. Not hard to know what you're thinking about, and I've got news for you, I'm not the only one around here

Mark Lenders
10-28-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm very curious to see how Juan will play at Wimbledon next year. He generally struggles greatly on grass, especially with his movement but he played great tennis at Olympics. He was serving great, moving well on the green stuff and charging the net with frequency and success.

I definitely want to see if that inspired play was only motivated by the big occasion and representing his country or if he really has improved as a grasscourt player. The kind of tennis he showed at OG definitely would make him a contender at SW19 if he can reproduce it.

Looner
10-29-2012, 12:14 AM
You're a one trick pony and a broken record. Not hard to know what you're thinking about, and I've got news for you, I'm not the only one around here

You do not deserve a serious reply.

I'm very curious to see how Juan will play at Wimbledon next year. He generally struggles greatly on grass, especially with his movement but he played great tennis at Olympics. He was serving great, moving well on the green stuff and charging the net with frequency and success.

I definitely want to see if that inspired play was only motivated by the big occasion and representing his country or if he really has improved as a grasscourt player. The kind of tennis he showed at OG definitely would make him a contender at SW19 if he can reproduce it.

Yet, I am a deluded Fed tard who wants Del Po to win so Roger gets to "fluke" another slam. I seriously believe he's improved (more importantly, he's working to do so and will continue to do so). I thought he did rather well against RN in his comeback year. This was when I first thought he could do something on this modern grass.

Topspindoctor
10-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Del Shitro won't win anything above 500 title in 2013 or for the rest of his "career". The guy is a clown whose only tactic is to hit the ball as hard as possible. Pathetic. I can't believe how overhyped he is by a few very vocal fangirls. Even Sapeod abandoned him :superlol:

Kowchi
10-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Del Shitro won't win anything above 500 title in 2013 or for the rest of his "career". The guy is a clown whose only tactic is to hit the ball as hard as possible. Pathetic. I can't believe how overhyped he is by a few very vocal fangirls. Even Sapeod abandoned him :superlol:

Negativity^
vs.
Positivity/Reality

Del Awesomo will win 2 slams in 2013 and will continue to win for the rest of his career. The guy is a hadworking athlete, who uses a variety of strategies to win and dominate his opponents. Amazing . I can he has a bright future and will continue to gain devoted fans, as he deserves so. :worship:

VolandriFan
10-29-2012, 12:45 AM
It's a nice thought that he only just turned 24. Bright future still ahead. :yeah:

Murray Mint
10-29-2012, 01:19 AM

He played some good stuff. Suppose he'll just have to hope someone else picks Ferrer off for him. The mighty terrier haunts his dreams.

Tag
10-29-2012, 05:08 PM

taking the piss

here are the simple facts spelt out

- not good enough movement, serve or volley wise for wimbledon (a QF there should be considered excellent)

- not good enough stamina wise for australian

- not good enough to beat 2 out of federer, nadal and djokovic at french

doesn't play paris, shanghai, or monte carlos

crap at rome, crap at toronto/montreal. same for cincinnati, this year was an exception

that leaves miami and indian wells

indian wells is more likely, he's actually good and plays well there. plus the us open

so like i said, those two, but nothing else

Roy Emerson
10-29-2012, 05:33 PM
taking the piss

here are the simple facts spelt out

- not good enough movement, serve or volley wise for wimbledon (a QF there should be considered excellent)

- not good enough stamina wise for australian

- not good enough to beat 2 out of federer, nadal and djokovic at french

doesn't play paris, shanghai, or monte carlos

crap at rome, crap at toronto/montreal. same for cincinnati, this year was an exception

that leaves miami and indian wells

indian wells is more likely, he's actually good and plays well there. plus the us open

so like i said, those two, but nothing else

He could win IW, Miami and USO. That would be a great year for him.

Tag
10-29-2012, 05:45 PM
He could win IW, Miami and USO. That would be a great year for him.

exactly

even one masters and a slam would a great year for him

Federer in 2
01-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Must be the favorite for RG.

BigJohn
01-19-2013, 04:04 PM
I see... storm as in "not be a factor in".

I think you should change the thread title. Look I did it for my post. It looks just as good and it is less confusing.

Ikaron
08-17-2013, 10:31 AM

Bravo.

a1canada
12-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Guessing he'll win four 500's.

GSMnadal
12-21-2013, 02:48 PM

You do not deserve a serious reply.

Well Looner, guess I was right and you were wrong. Maybe I did deserve a serious reply after all? :scratch:

vpmrosulate
12-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Good post, in hindsight.